Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz’s struggles as of late

BProland85

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Wentz has the athleticism to bootleg a team to death just like Tannehill does with Henry as his RB.  He did it once with easy success yesterday. I don’t know why we don’t use it more.

Probably because Wentz can't throw worth a damn when his feet aren't set right. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wentzszn said:

Consistency will come with better weapons. When everything had to be schemed up and nobody can get open without it it’s going to create inconsistency. It puts a lot of pressure on everything to be executed perfect. That doesn’t always happen. 

Taylor admitted that the lack of practice time hurts. He said when you have guys practicing next to each other who are different from the game it hurts and messes things up.

that is why i say the jury is still out on wentz .   the good news is we will find out in the next couple years .  ballard has to get better weapons wentz is throwing to the ghost of ty and jack doyle who are on their last leg and pascal who is below average .   even pittman who is improving is struggling to get real separation all his catches are in traffic , and his numbers are over inflated from wentz force feeding him .    We need better every thing in the passing game , tight ends and wrs .

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

that is why i say the jury is still out on wentz .   the good news is we will find out in the next couple years .  ballard has to get better weapons wentz is throwing to the ghost of ty and jack doyle who are on their last leg and pascal who is below average .   even pittman who is improving is struggling to get real separation all his catches are in traffic , and his numbers are over inflated from wentz force feeding him .    We need better every thing in the passing game , tight ends and wrs .

I don’t really think much of this year because I always said year two was it. But Ballard also has to do the things to fix it. If he doesn’t do anything it will be the same thing next season. I seen someone mention they think Ertz will be a Colt next season. 

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t really think much of this year because I always said year two was it. But Ballard also has to do the things to fix it. If he doesn’t do anything it will be the same thing next season. I seen someone mention they think Ertz will be a Colt next season. 

ertz is on his last leg too , i doubt bringing a  older veteran on his last leg will help .   We need to get younger and have more speed that is why losing paris killed the passing game .  bringing ty back over signing a younger guy was a massive mistake .  give wentz a solid tight end a solid slot wr and another outside wr and he will look so much better .  the problem is getting 3 new guys without a first round pick is gonna be tough .  not many second or third rounders come in and become great right away .  that is why ballards needs to be active in free agency waiting two years for a guy to develop wont help next year .

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

ertz is on his last leg too , i doubt bringing a  older veteran on his last leg will help .   We need to get younger and have more speed that is why losing paris killed the passing game .  bringing ty back over signing a younger guy was a massive mistake .  give wentz a solid tight end a solid slot wr and another outside wr and he will look so much better .  the problem is getting 3 new guys without a first round pick is gonna be tough .  not many second or third rounders come in and become great right away .  that is why ballards needs to be active in free agency waiting two years for a guy to develop wont help next year .

While I agree we keep 3 TE so if Doyle retires  we can do it. Granson needs more snaps next year. Ertz would give Wentz a security blanket.  Ballard has this team in a spot where he is going to have to use FA to fill holes.  

The crazy thing is Wentz has never had elite WR. Not even in Phili. This offseason is going to show me how serious Ballard is at wanting to win a SB. It’s not fair to Wentz to not get him better weapons. Guys we have outside of Pittman can’t win one on one matchups. Just getting a couple that can get a little bit of separation would be big.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

While I agree we keep 3 TE so if Doyle retires  we can do it. Granson needs more snaps next year. Ertz would give Wentz a security blanket.  Ballard has this team in a spot where he is going to have to use FA to fill holes.  

The crazy thing is Wentz has never had elite WR. Not even in Phili. This offseason is going to show me how serious Ballard is at wanting to win a SB. It’s not fair to Wentz to not get him better weapons. Guys we have outside of Pittman can’t win one on one matchups. Just getting a couple that can get a little bit of separation would be big.

that is why it frustrates me so much frank doesnt run more bootlegs . it gives the wrs more time to get open and slows down the pass rush .  wentz is better at throwing on the run but frank wants to keep him in the pocket for some reason . wentz is more of a russell wilson type guy where he thrives throwing on the run .

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Bad play from Wentz, on a lot of levels: fundamentals of passing, adjusting protections, running the offense (even getting in and out of the huddle has been labored at times), going through progressions, making accurate throws, not pitching the ball into traffic when he's being tackled, knowing when to run vs throwing back across field to a covered receiver, etc.

Also some underwhelming coaching: play calling, offensive rhythm, the running the offense issues are also related to play calling, etc. 

I don't think you can push a button and fix any of this right now. 

The X button, I mean triangle button, double tap for loft pass, cmon!!

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I said it like 3 weeks ago. We have become to JT focused and become predictable and it has hurt the passing game. If all started after that Bucs game when Reich was trashed for not running JT more. Then add we have no WR and no TE it makes things worse.

JT averaged 5.4 a carry on 20 touches while Carson averaged 5.6 on +25 throws.  That doesn’t sound like predictable to me.  That sounds like one thing is working (the run) and the other isn’t (passing).  If we were predictable then neither one would work.

7 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

JT averaged 5.4 a carry on 20 touches while Carson averaged 5.6 on +25 throws.  That doesn’t sound like predictable to me.  That sounds like one thing is working (the run) and the other isn’t (passing).  If we were predictable then neither one would work.

It was predictable. Why do you think the passing game didn’t work. They knew we were running every first and second down. Then the offense was in longs on 3rd down. Take two carries away from JT. and he wasn’t great. They shut him down on almost every first and second down.  They were playing a extra LB with one safety. We should of been challenging that.

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

THIS.  I hate that wentz runs the play clock down so much.  When he’s hiking the ball with time left or we run the no huddle the offense looks good.  

That would work if Wentz were a field general like Peyton and knew how they were going to align post snap but he is not. So, yeah, Wentz is better when we snap earlier typically.

8 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I think it's a fundamental part of how he plays. He's got this big arm that can make any throw, but he just isn't very consistently accurate with it. So for every 60-yard dot to Dulin...there are a half dozen underthrown deep balls. For every pretty throw on the run, there are a handful of quick reads or intermediate passes that sail over, at the feet or out of the reach of a WR (often Pitt). 

There were a few analysts that went through some of the reasons that he had such a horrible year in Philly the last year.

If you watched the tape in the last year, he threw the ball constantly with bad form and bad feet positioning 

They made a great case about it.  He feet were pointing away from the reciever that he was trying to hit.

When his feet were set properly that ball was accurate.  I was watching a bit of Sunday and his feet were not set underneath him, and he missed the receiver, I believe some of this was not getting the practice time this week.

Please remember that he really didnt get a full camp because of his foot injury.  Fundamentals get better through directed repetition .  I think that he will get his fundamentals worked on in the offseason and he will improve.  (He does need some additional weapons)

I have high hopes for Carson to get better next year

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There were a few analysts that went through some of the reasons that he had such a horrible year in Philly the last year.

If you watched the tape in the last year, he threw the ball constantly with bad form and bad feet positioning 

They made a great case about it.  He feet were pointing away from the reciever that he was trying to hit.

When his feet were set properly that ball was accurate.  I was watching a bit of Sunday and his feet were not set underneath him, and he missed the receiver, I believe some of this was not getting the practice time this week.

Please remember that he really didnt get a full camp because of his foot injury.  Fundamentals get better through directed repetition .  I think that he will get his fundamentals worked on in the offseason and he will improve.  (He does need some additional weapons)

I have high hopes for Carson to get better next year

He did work with Tim House academy this past offseason. But yes he needs to keep working on them.

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I said it like 3 weeks ago. We have become to JT focused and become predictable and it has hurt the passing game. If all started after that Bucs game when Reich was trashed for not running JT more. Then add we have no WR and no TE it makes things worse.

Dear God it has nothing to do with becoming too JT focused lmao

21 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Give Wentz some time to overcome Eagle Trauma. He still has some minor mental miscalibrations to work on. He should be fine.

I think once Reich has the offseason list for him to work on things get much better. Now they have their hands on him a full season under his belt. But that is also contingent on Ballard getting him the weapons he needs.

31 minutes ago, J@son said:

Dear God it has nothing to do with becoming too JT focused lmao

Funny I have heard two people say my exact words today. One was a former nfl coach who knows what he is talking about. I am not the  only one to say it. You can’t have your passing game cold and expect it just to heat up and be good. We need to get back to how we played against ravens. We were unpredictable and ravens didn’t know where we were going next.  Reich basically said it today  Although JT is the focus you cant become one dimensional. That’s what we have come.

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Funny I have heard two people say my exact words today. One was a former nfl coach who knows what he is talking about. I am not the  only one to say it. You can’t have your passing game cold and expect it just to heat up and be good. We need to get back to how we played against ravens. We were unpredictable and ravens didn’t know where we were going next.  Reich basically said it today  Although JT is the focus you cant become one dimensional. That’s what we have come.

It's more about stale and predictable playcalling than being too JT focused. JT is our best player. He should be the focus. 

They weren't one dimensional against the raiders. The run to pass ratio was about even. But the playcalling was fairly bland and predictable, that much I'll agree with. 

The only game they really were one dimensional with the run was against the patriots which they surprisingly won

1 minute ago, J@son said:

It's more about stale and predictable playcalling than being too JT focused. JT is our best player. He should be the focus. 

They weren't one dimensional against the raiders. The run to pass ratio was about even. But the playcalling was fairly bland and predictable, that much I'll agree with. 

The only game they really were one dimensional with the run was against the patriots which they surprisingly won

Yes that is more where I am getting at. First and second down especially were very predictable. Then we got in 3rd and long which was bad. I don’t think you can look at psss run ratio and say it’s balanced. It’s more about what we did on first and second downs that made us predictable. 

There is a very big possibility Reich tried to keep things conservative because so many didn’t have full week of practice coming of illness maybe they still had some lingering effects with. The drive where he basically settled for a FG at the dmd shocked me. I was like what is he doing not trying for a TD. It was very weird and not Reich like at all to not be aggressive there.

Our fan base is becoming a joke making excuses for Wentz.  So much so we’re blaming his struggles on Taylor being too good?  Seriously?  So an effective running game being a QB’s best friend only works for other QB’s but not Wentz?    Excuses Excuses Excuses.  Imagine Luck with a back like JT in the backfield with him…. He didn’t have superstar talent outside & didn’t have a hundred yard rusher until Gore came yet he still put up numbers.  Luck would be feasting with this same roster and a back like JT.  90% of QB’s would. 

Wentz just has to get better at reading defenses & coming off of his first read quicker.  Also get the play off before the defense T’s off with their blitzes.  Everything is up against the play clock and defense are overwhelming our O Line because Carson is telegraphing the snap count.  Also, someone asked where are the slants & crossers.  Frank has been calling them all season. Carson either doesn’t see them or just won’t pull the trigger on time. Stop with the excuses. Hold him accountable. That’s the only way he will get better. 

Go back and look at his numbers early in his career and he leaned heavily on Ertz.  Heavily. That tells me Carson needs that tight end security blanket.  Doesn’t matter who we get outside.  He’s likely to not see them on time or at all. He needs that big target over the middle of the field that can get open quickly as his first read more often than not.  Jack & MAC aren’t dynamic enough.  If we really want Carson to throw it more, then we should have gone and gotten him Ertz this season.  If we’re gonna ride with him next year and want to let him throw it all over the field, then get him a game breaking tight end.  And I’m talking about a 130 plus target a year tight end.  Then and only then will we see Wentz reach his potential. 

I normally % on Reich 90% of the time whenever the Colts lose, but I can't blame him for all the holding calls and all the poor play by Wentz. How many times do we need to watch Carson trying to pitch the ball downfield while he's being sacked? How many times do we have to watch him miss wide-open receivers by a mile? He can't read a defense if his life depended on it and he holds onto the ball way too long. So many times JT will be wide open underneath, and Wentz won't check down and he'll try forcing the ball into double coverage downfield. The Colts lack play-makers on offense, but Reich needs to find more creative ways to get the ball into the hands of players like Nyheim, which doesn't ask Wentz to do much in the process. JT's been carrying the offense all season long, but Wentz needs to make enough plays to get us through the rest of the game.

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It was predictable. Why do you think the passing game didn’t work. They knew we were running every first and second down. Then the offense was in longs on 3rd down. Take two carries away from JT. and he wasn’t great. They shut him down on almost every first and second down.  They were playing a extra LB with one safety. We should of been challenging that.

you take carries from JT he’s still averaging 5yds a carry lol.

i don’t think we watched the same game.  There were 2 drives I believe in the 3rd where we only ran once or twice and they were both 3 and outs. 

Here are my reasons for why the passing game didn’t work:

- wentz bad decisions and throws (mo throw when he had running room, over throw of TY, overthrow of pascal)

- receivers not getting open

- wentz not throwing to open receivers

- bad playcalling 

- pressure

- wentz running the play clock down to 1 second consistently

also, I just don’t understand your math.  If we were running it on first and second and then throwing, wouldn’t JT have more carriers than Carson did throws?

3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

you take carries from JT he’s still averaging 5yds a carry lol.

i don’t think we watched the same game.  There were 2 drives I believe in the 3rd where we only ran once or twice and they were both 3 and outs. 

Here are my reasons for why the passing game didn’t work:

- wentz bad decisions and throws (mo throw when he had running room, over throw of TY, overthrow of pascal)

- receivers not getting open

- wentz not throwing to open receivers

- bad playcalling 

- pressure

also, I just don’t understand your math.  If we were running it on first and second and then throwing, wouldn’t JT have more carriers than Carson did throws?

Actually we are sitting pretty, Reich has protected JT for the most part by not over using him. Our team is healthy and a win gets us in now. Like I posted earlier, everyone can nitpick what we haven't done right but all that matters is making the playoffs, then the regular season doesn't matter at that point. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually we sitting pretty, Reich has protected JT for the most part by not over using him. Our team is healthy and a win gets us in now. Like I posted earlier, everyone can nitpick what we haven't done right but all that matters is making the playoffs, then the regular season doesn't matter at that point. 

not sure what you’re replying to, but I was replying to wentzszn.  Kind of confused because I’m not nitpicking lol. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I didn't mean you nitpicking lol but I was just posting that some do. 

lol Cool

well replying to what you said.  I agree, I think Reich has improved since our early season struggles.  His playcalling has gotten better in recent weeks.  Only gripe I have with him is his lack of creativity with Hines.  I think Hines is a threat but for some reason he doesn’t use him.  I can see Hines being a amendola/welker type but even better due to his speed and ability to run.  But Reich only calls his number when it’s time for a screen, reverse, or run up the gut 

20 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

lol Cool

well replying to what you said.  I agree, I think Reich has improved since our early season struggles.  His playcalling has gotten better in recent weeks.  Only gripe I have with him is his lack of creativity with Hines.  I think Hines is a threat but for some reason he doesn’t use him.  I can see Hines being a amendola/welker type but even better due to his speed and ability to run.  But Reich only calls his number when it’s time for a screen, reverse, or run up the gut 

Hines is a good player, I would love to see him at least get 5-7 carries a game and be a target around 5 times as in throw him some screens. My perfect offense would be give the ball to JT 20 times which isn't over using him, Hines 7 times, and throw the ball 25 times, etc.. I would also use JT on a screen or 2 because of his speed.

"Carson Wentz over the last 7 weeks:

Week 10 vs JAX - 22/34 (67.71%), 180 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 78.1 passer rating, 5.29 AY/A

Week 11 at BUF - 11/20 (55.0%), 106 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 86.7 passer rating, 6.30 AY/A

Week 12 vs TAM - 27/44 (61.4%), 306 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT (+1 fumble lost), 86.0 passer rating, 6.27 AY/A

Week 13 at HOU - 16/22 (72.7%), 158 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 107.8 passer rating, 8.09 AY/A

Week 15 vs NWE - 5/12 (46.7%), 57 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 49.7 passer rating, 2.67 AY/A

Week 16 at ARI - 18/28 (64.3%), 225 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 112.9 passer rating, 9.46 AY/A

Week 17 vs LVR - 16/27 (59.3%), 148 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 86.6 passer rating, 6.22 AY/A

So over these seven games, Wentz has only completed more than 63% of his passes (his season average) twice, he has broken 200 passing yards twice, he's had only two games with a 100+ passer rating (he had 6 in the first 9 games), and only two multi-TD games (he had 7 in the first 9 games).

Overall in these last seven games, he has completed 61.5% of his passes (down from his season average of 62.8%), for 168 yards per game (season average = 215), his TD% is 4.8 (season average = 5.5), his INT% is1.6 (season average = 1.3), his Y/A is 6.3 (season average = 7.0), and his passer rating is 89.0 (his season average is 96.4)."

I'm gonna say it, people need to get off of Wentz' back.

People are looking at him with SUCH a scrutinizing eye that they are ignoring all of the good and seeing mostly the bad (of which there genuinely isn't all THAT much of, especially when compared to most other QBs in the league).

It's almost like a reverse of the view we had of Luck. Now don't get me wrong, Andrew Luck was amazing, but dang it he also made a lot of boneheaded throws and mistakes that we mostly glossed over as fans. Maybe its because we traded for Wentz and his last couple years in Philly were so awful, but in reality, he has been good this year. Not top 5 QB, but definitely in top 8-15 range and well within that mix at that. Give him time as well for the love of God, he is on a new team and missed most of the off season / training camp. He'll only continue to grow with Pittman and the receiving core over the years.

Wentz needs to be hanging with Tom House ASAP. He has the talent, but he needs to get his fundamentals back in order and all of these high throws have got to stop. (he throws high A LOT) Also, learn to throw the ball away, and not freak out and take sacks. 

I think the play calling deserves plenty of blame as well. After the scripted plays are over, Reich has zero feel for in game adjustments. 

Installing slants in this offense would go a loooong way in helping to get the ball out quickly. I'm not sure why Reich is allergic to them. Pittman (or even Mo Allie) could use their body and work slants for easy 1st downs. 

Also, why can't this offense run a screen to save their life? Or bootlegs? Both RB's are amazing in space, but are never schemed to get open on passes. 

This whole run up the middle every 1st down (and most of the time on 2nd down) is insanity. Then, while it's 3rd and 6, Reich will call some *ic throw for 4 yards and expect a covered WR to get the YAC. Or even worse, he'll call a screen that fails miserably. It's maddening to watch - and it happens over and over. 

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I'm gonna say it, people need to get off of Wentz' back.

People are looking at him with SUCH a scrutinizing eye that they are ignoring all of the good and seeing mostly the bad (of which there genuinely isn't all THAT much of, especially when compared to most other QBs in the league).

It's almost like a reverse of the view we had of Luck. Now don't get me wrong, Andrew Luck was amazing, but dang it he also made a lot of boneheaded throws and mistakes that we mostly glossed over as fans. Maybe its because we traded for Wentz and his last couple years in Philly were so awful, but in reality, he has been good this year. Not top 5 QB, but definitely in top 8-15 range and well within that mix at that. Give him time as well for the love of God, he is on a new team and missed most of the off season / training camp. He'll only continue to grow with Pittman and the receiving core over the years.

I agree that as fans Luck did get a pass at times, but I have no intention of comparing Luck to Wentz.  Two different players, two different teams.

I am concerned about two things with Wentz right now and it seems to me he is falling back into old habits.  That has nothing to do with missing training camp.

• Inaccurate passes - it just seems like he is not hitting his receivers the way he should.  Even on the 2nd quarter drive for a touchdown on two of the passes the receiver needed to go to the ground to catch the ball.  If he hit them in stride they at least get out of bounds and stop the clock.  It didn't look like he needed to throw it low on those two plays.  Luckily there was just enough time for the touchdown.  Those aren't the only two.  And as was mentioned earlier he doesn't seem to be setting up properly.  That is an old bad habit.
  • Decision making - again I don't see this as a training camp issue.  He is standing too long with the ball, seems to be looking for Pitman, and not moving through the progressions and taking the check down.  

Just my two cents.  I think Wentz needs to improve.  I get that this isn't the most talented group of receivers, but he needs to be better too.

12 minutes ago, gspdx said:

• Inaccurate passes - it just seems like he is not hitting his receivers the way he should.  Even on the 2nd quarter drive for a touchdown on two of the passes the receiver needed to go to the ground to catch the ball.  If he hit them in stride they at least get out of bounds and stop the clock.  It didn't look like he needed to throw it low on those two plays.  Luckily there was just enough time for the touchdown.  Those aren't the only two.  And as was mentioned earlier he doesn't seem to be setting up properly.  That is an old bad habit.
  • Decision making - again I don't see this as a training camp issue.  He is standing too long with the ball, seems to be looking for Pitman, and not moving through the progressions and taking the check down.  

These two bullet points are spot on. Obviously, the coaches see this too, but the question is will he/can he improve on these, or is this who Wentz is moving forward? 

11 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I think once Reich has the offseason list for him to work on things get much better. Now they have their hands on him a full season under his belt. But that is also contingent on Ballard getting him the weapons he needs.

While I think Reich has helped Wentz tremendously, there may be some downside to his approach. Ultimately, the answer to all of Wentz's problems are within Wentz, and hopefully he will be able to solve them.

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Our fan base is becoming a joke making excuses for Wentz.  So much so we’re blaming his struggles on Taylor being too good?  Seriously?  So an effective running game being a QB’s best friend only works for other QB’s but not Wentz?    Excuses Excuses Excuses.  Imagine Luck with a back like JT in the backfield with him…. He didn’t have superstar talent outside & didn’t have a hundred yard rusher until Gore came yet he still put up numbers.  Luck would be feasting with this same roster and a back like JT.  90% of QB’s would. 

Wentz just has to get better at reading defenses & coming off of his first read quicker.  Also get the play off before the defense T’s off with their blitzes.  Everything is up against the play clock and defense are overwhelming our O Line because Carson is telegraphing the snap count.  Also, someone asked where are the slants & crossers.  Frank has been calling them all season. Carson either doesn’t see them or just won’t pull the trigger on time. Stop with the excuses. Hold him accountable. That’s the only way he will get better. 

Go back and look at his numbers early in his career and he leaned heavily on Ertz.  Heavily. That tells me Carson needs that tight end security blanket.  Doesn’t matter who we get outside.  He’s likely to not see them on time or at all. He needs that big target over the middle of the field that can get open quickly as his first read more often than not.  Jack & MAC aren’t dynamic enough.  If we really want Carson to throw it more, then we should have gone and gotten him Ertz this season.  If we’re gonna ride with him next year and want to let him throw it all over the field, then get him a game breaking tight end.  And I’m talking about a 130 plus target a year tight end.  Then and only then will we see Wentz reach his potential. 

All the great teams have outstanding tight ends that there QB’s rely on heavily.  Even Brady wanted old man Gronk to come out of retirement and look what happened.  Even Peyton had Clark.  Wentz has nobody.  He needs a go to tight end just like the top teams.  I actually wouldn’t mind Ertz regardless of his age.  He’s a FA again.  He would click immediately with Wentz.  The point being we need a game breaking tight end.  Couldn’t agree more.

21 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Third he gets happy feet and does not throw from a good position hence the blunder that cost the game, missing TY who was so wide open it still makes me sick to think of it.

Me too! As far as mistakes go, this ranks right up there with the dropped pass that one wide-open Coby Fleener had back in 2014 versus Washington, except it was Coby, not Luck, that made the mistake.

14 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

What Wentz had was a healthy Alshon Jeffrey, Ertz at his peak, a group of good RBs and Darren Sproles who caught over 70 passes.  So aside from having a JT, there was more offensive talent on the Philly team.  Ballard can't build this through the draft anymore.  He's got to spend more money on offense.

Archived