Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz’s struggles as of late

BProland85

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Bad play from Wentz, on a lot of levels: fundamentals of passing, adjusting protections, running the offense (even getting in and out of the huddle has been labored at times), going through progressions, making accurate throws, not pitching the ball into traffic when he's being tackled, knowing when to run vs throwing back across field to a covered receiver, etc.

Also some underwhelming coaching: play calling, offensive rhythm, the running the offense issues are also related to play calling, etc. 

I don't think you can push a button and fix any of this right now. 

I feel like getting in and out of the huddle thing has been most consistently weird thing, which I figure also has to do with getting the play call in from Reich? I don’t know, but we’re rushing/cutting it close on the play clock constantly.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

we shouldnt move on from wentz but wentz has played really bad the last couple of games .   the volume of passing yards a game is a huge concern for me it means the colts cant move the ball with passing .  most of wentz touchdowns are from running the ball to get close then throwing .    josh allen has over a 1000 more passing yards ,  averaging around 200 yards a game is not gonna get it done against playoff teams . 

Josh Allen has also thrown the ball over 100 more time so far this season when compared to Wentz.   They average the same amount of yards per attemept (6.9).  Josh Allen also has Diggs on the outside. One is in a pass first offense and one is in a run first offense. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Wentz has the athleticism to bootleg a team to death just like Tannehill does with Henry as his RB.  He did it once with easy success yesterday. I don’t know why we don’t use it more.

Yeah, seemed like half of his Eagles highlights were from broken plays and the other half from, like you say, bootlegs. 

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

we shouldnt move on from wentz but wentz has played really bad the last couple of games .   the volume of passing yards a game is a huge concern for me it means the colts cant move the ball with passing .  most of wentz touchdowns are from running the ball to get close then throwing .    josh allen has over a 1000 more passing yards ,  averaging around 200 yards a game is not gonna get it done against playoff teams . 

Everything changed for Allen once they traded for Diggs.  So there a passing team now.  Good for them.  But they have no running game other than Allen himself.  It’s only a matter of time and that’s not going to end well.

2 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Josh Allen has also thrown the ball over 100 more time so far this season when compared to Wentz.   They average the same amount of yards per attemept (6.9).  Josh Allen also has Diggs on the outside. One is in a pass first offense and one is in a run first offense. 

the problem is when the colts need to pass to win they cant .  its not all wentz fault the wrs are average .  you have games where wentz is dropping 40 passes and getting under 200 yards like the titans game .   i do think most of his flaws are easily fixed its all mechanics  he doesnt set his feet right and side arms passes . to make up for not using his legs to throw the ball he puts as much power as he can into the throws even on short check downs .   if he just takes the check down or the shorter routes instead of looking for the mid range or long range balls he would have way more passing yards and much better percentage .   those things are easily fixed and can make him a top ten guy .  i am still a wentz supporter but i wont make excuses for him he just needs to play better .

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Everything changed for Allen once they traded for Diggs.  So there a passing team now.  Good for them.  But they have no running game other than Allen himself.  It’s only a matter of time and that’s not going to end well.

i agree but at the same time allen started playing smarter also .  he started going through his progressions faster and took the check downs when needed .   just getting wentz better weapons wont solve the problem completely wentz still needs to play smarter and fix his mechanics .   i still think wentz can be a top ten guy if he fixes his problems and the colts upgrade weapons .

WOW  Thanks to @coming on strong  for having me compare Wentz/Allen   They are remarkable similar this year.  

Wentz and Allen have really similar stats this season.  QBR close -  RTG close -  Yards per attempt the same.  COMP % one is 62 and one is 64.  

Wentz at 500 attemps has   26 TD and 6 INTS

Allen at 600 attemps has 34 TD and 15 INTS  

If you prorate Wentz TDs and INTs to equal Allens at 600 attemps Wentz would have about 31 TDs and 7 INTs.  With close to the same amount of Yards. 

i agree but at the same time allen started playing smarter also .  he started going through his progressions faster and took the check downs when needed .   just getting wentz better weapons wont solve the problem completely wentz still needs to play smarter and fix his mechanics .   i still think wentz can be a top ten guy if he fixes his problems and the colts upgrade weapons .

Diggs turned that team completely around.  I don’t think Allen is playing smarter. Still throwing a ton of interceptions.  But there a passing team now and he’s a gunslinger.  He has the WR’s.  We don’t.  We have the running game they don’t.  If we get Wentz some WR help.  Look out.

51 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

That is great we can ride JT all we want but the narrative can't be we didn't win the Super Bowl because Wentz when you aren't even trying to get the passing game going and then all the sudden expect him to click and be there when you need it.   Can't ask Wentz to bail out every drive on 3rd and long when the running game doesn't produce.  Like the Raider game. 

The idea the Wentz is in some sort of a bad situation is a bit of a joke.  Do you know how many times Luck had a 100 yard rusher(5.4 avg.) combined with 2 turnovers from his defense?  I don't have the number, but if the answer is never, I wouldn't be surprised.  

It's hard to lose a game with a 100 yard rusher and being +2 in turnovers.  Had Luck gotten anything close to that, he would still be playing.

Wentz is not "bailing" anyone out.  He's in an ideal situation and needs to perform and hit a receiver when they're wide open.  

20 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the problem is when the colts need to pass to win they cant .  its not all wentz fault the wrs are average .  you have games where wentz is dropping 40 passes and getting under 200 yards like the titans game .   i do think most of his flaws are easily fixed its all mechanics  he doesnt set his feet right and side arms passes . to make up for not using his legs to throw the ball he puts as much power as he can into the throws even on short check downs .   if he just takes the check down or the shorter routes instead of looking for the mid range or long range balls he would have way more passing yards and much better percentage .   those things are easily fixed and can make him a top ten guy .  i am still a wentz supporter but i wont make excuses for him he just needs to play better .

Did they not win by passing against AZ. SF too. If not for the defensive collapse they passed against ravens too. They passed against Tampa and 24 pts yo in a half. But it makes it much harder when passing plays have to be schemed open because WR are so bad.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

The idea the Wentz is in some sort of a bad situation is a bit of a joke.  Do you know how many times Luck had a 100 yard rusher(5.4 avg.) combined with 2 turnovers from his defense?  I don't have the number, but if the answer is never, I wouldn't be surprised.  

It's hard to lose a game with a 100 yard rusher and being +2 in turnovers.  Had Luck gotten anything close to that, he would still be playing.

Wentz is not "bailing" anyone out.  He's in an ideal situation and needs to perform and hit a WR when they're wide open.  

Get over it. Luck isn’t going to be picked off a tree. There are maybe 5 or 6 QB in this league who are elite. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Get over it. Luck isn’t going to be picked off a tree. There are maybe 5 or 6 QB in this league who are elite. 

I have no idea what you were going for there, but to paint this team, this situation as being bad for Wentz is a joke.  Claiming that a 100+ yard rusher at a 5.4 avg. constitutes failure is a joke.  Did anyone watch the past 15 years?  How many games would Wentz have won on those severely flawed teams?

Wentz just needs to perform, hit open receivers and take the easy money when it's there.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

I have no idea what you were going for there, but to paint this team, this situation as being bad for Wentz is a joke.  Claiming that a 100+ yard rusher at a 5.4 avg. constitutes failure is a joke.  Did anyone watch the past 15 years?  How many games would Wentz have won on those severely flawed teams?

Wentz just needs to perform, hit open receivers and take the easy money when it's there.

I never said any of that.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Stats say Wentz is playing at the same level as Josh Allen minus the 100+ attempts everything else adds up to being on that level this year.  RTG - QBR - Comp % - YRDS per Attempt.  Minus the turnovers.  The only difference is we play in a run first offense and Buffalo is a pass first offense.   

50 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

WOW  Thanks to @coming on strong  for having me compare Wentz/Allen   They are remarkable similar this year.  

Wentz and Allen have really similar stats this season.  QBR close -  RTG close -  Yards per attempt the same.  COMP % one is 62 and one is 64.  

Wentz at 500 attemps has   26 TD and 6 INTS

Allen at 600 attemps has 34 TD and 15 INTS  

If you prorate Wentz TDs and INTs to equal Allens at 600 attemps Wentz would have about 31 TDs and 7 INTs.  With close to the same amount of Yards. 

there is more to the story than just stats ......   allen has zero run game teams play the pass and he wins them games .   the colts are 0-6 when taylor gets held under 100 rushing yards .   its situational downs when wentz needs to step up and make a play and carry the team .  he did it one time against the cardinals but had a lot of help the defense held them to 16 points and taylor went for over 100 yards rushing .     listen i was the biggest wentz fan on here making posts in december saying the colts should trade for him when he got benched .    i still think he can be a top ten QB but he has to play better stop over throwing guys and stop holding the ball to long .    hopefully he fixes his issues , i want him to be elite so bad but i am struggling to keep defending him it .   i gave up this weekend on making excuses that was a terrible game .

there is more to the story than just stats ......   allen has zero run game teams play the pass and he wins them games .   the colts are 0-6 when taylor gets held under 100 rushing yards .   its situational downs when wentz needs to step up and make a play and carry the team .  he did it one time against the cardinals but had a lot of help the defense held them to 16 points and taylor went for over 100 yards rushing .     listen i was the biggest wentz fan on here making posts in december saying the colts should trade for him when he got benched .    i still think he can be a top ten QB but he has to play better stop over throwing guys and stop holding the ball to long .    hopefully he fixes his issues , i want him to be elite so bad but i am struggling to keep defending him it .   i gave up this weekend on making excuses that was a terrible game .

A couple points the Bills do have a running game.  They don't have Taylor there is the difference so no Hype around it.   Buffalo is 6th in the NFL in rushing yards with 2039 and at 4.8 per carry.   So the narrative that all they do is throw is false.   Where the COLTS win here is they have rushed the ball roughly 60 more times this season.   Remember the difference between Allen and Wentz being in a run first or pass first offense there is the example in the Colts favor.  

We started the season with our new QB coming in after foot surgery and a couple injuries across the offensive line of course we were going to struggle at the start of the season.  4 of those 0-6 losses came in the those games to start the season. 

No QB hits every pass and every QB over throws and under throws guys.  Every QB is out there throwing side arm with bad mechancis and flipping left handed passes that isn't just Wentz.  Can he be better??  Sure but Wentz isn't all the sudden going to be a 75% completition percentage type QB never has been that and never will.  To expect that no matter the level of difficulty on the throws will lead to disapppointment.   We I love him to hit ever open WR?  Sure  Does EVERY QB in the NFL miss open WRs?  YES 

People consider Allen ELITE and top tier QB and people consider Wentz a bum that is dragging down the team. So strange even though they statistically match up.   Right the "eye" test or the "media" test I guess is a better way to put it. 

12 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

A couple points the Bills do have a running game.  They don't have Taylor there is the difference so no Hype around it.   Buffalo is 6th in the NFL in rushing yards with 2039 and at 4.8 per carry.   So the narrative that all they do is throw is false.   Where the COLTS win here is they have rushed the ball roughly 60 more times this season.   Remember the difference between Allen and Wentz being in a run first or pass first offense there is the example in the Colts favor.  

We started the season with our new QB coming in after foot surgery and a couple injuries across the offensive line of course we were going to struggle at the start of the season.  4 of those 0-6 losses came in the those games to start the season. 

No QB hits every pass and every QB over throws and under throws guys.  Every QB is out there throwing side arm with bad mechancis and flipping left handed passes that isn't just Wentz.  Can he be better??  Sure but Wentz isn't all the sudden going to be a 75% completition percentage type QB never has been that and never will.  To expect that no matter the level of difficulty on the throws will lead to disapppointment.   We I love him to hit ever open WR?  Sure  Does EVERY QB in the NFL miss open WRs?  YES 

People consider Allen ELITE and top tier QB and people consider Wentz a bum that is dragging down the team. So strange even though they statistically match up.   Right the "eye" test or the "media" test I guess is a better way to put it. 

i have nothing to do with how the media speaks on wentz all i can go on is what i watch every week .     i just havent seen the ability of wentz to put the team on his back when needed to win games .   he is frustrating to watch because he has all the tools to be the best QB in the nfl and makes plays that only elite guys can make at times .   i have zero problem with a gun slinger who throws picks  but gun slingers have to move the ball at will and wentz has not done that except against the ravens and bucs .    if he just fixes a couple small problems he will be a top ten guy easily maybe even higher .   hopefully he can fix it i dont want a revolving door at QB i want a franchise guy i want wentz to be the guy and stay here for ten plus years trust me .   it could very well be that the colts wrs are average and forcing him to hold the ball i cant say for sure unless i watch all his tape and i dont really have time for it .  well really see next year when the colts bring in new weapons  , wentz deserves to stay and develop for a couple years before its decided .  right now the jury is still out on wentz

Other then the non throw to Hilton his worst play was not running when he had an open field and instead threw a silly pass over a covered TE's head across the field. He gets pressured because he will not throw the ball. He simply is not accurate enough to throw a pass unless the receiver is wide open and then it is iffy. Can that be fixed after six years in the league. Doubtful.

18 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Other then the non throw to Hilton his worst play was not running when he had an open field and instead threw a silly pass over a covered TE's head across the field. He gets pressured because he will not throw the ball. He simply is not accurate enough to throw a pass unless the receiver is wide open and then it is iffy. Can that be fixed after six years in the league. Doubtful.

Josh Allen IMO is a top 5 QB and he lost to Jacksonville, crap happens. 

Does anyone here have nfl game pass? They have the all 22 film. Not expecting anyone to do this but I'd love to see all 27 pass attempts and see how open our receivers are. I see alot of comments about Wentz missing wide open guys and going for the home run. From the replays they run on TV from a wide angle I almost never see any receiver with any separation at all. So he holds the balls because no is open. He forces it because no one is open.

We could go round and round on this. We are seeing what we want to see I guess. I see a team with a pathetic wide receiver corp which IMO is the biggest part of the lack of a passing game. Wentz haters see a qb missing plenty of open guys. 

i have nothing to do with how the media speaks on wentz all i can go on is what i watch every week .     i just havent seen the ability of wentz to put the team on his back when needed to win games .   he is frustrating to watch because he has all the tools to be the best QB in the nfl and makes plays that only elite guys can make at times .   i have zero problem with a gun slinger who throws picks  but gun slingers have to move the ball at will and wentz has not done that except against the ravens and bucs .    if he just fixes a couple small problems he will be a top ten guy easily maybe even higher .   hopefully he can fix it i dont want a revolving door at QB i want a franchise guy i want wentz to be the guy and stay here for ten plus years trust me .   it could very well be that the colts wrs are average and forcing him to hold the ball i cant say for sure unless i watch all his tape and i dont really have time for it .  well really see next year when the colts bring in new weapons  , wentz deserves to stay and develop for a couple years before its decided .  right now the jury is still out on wentz

If your honest with yourself and go back you will see he has won of plenty of games. One he did put us on his back we lost  because the kicker got injured and the defense collapsed.

36 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

700 of those 2039 rushing yards is from Allen.  Second to Singeltary’s 782.  A THIRD from the QB.  Some running game.  And many of those are designed running plays for the QB.  That tells you they have no real running game and need their expensive franchise quarterback to help carry the load.  That’s a disaster waiting to happen.

52 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Please stop. You are right. Allen is elite and Wentz is a bum.

In fact Wentz isn't even a pimple on Josh Allen's as5

Sorry but truth hurts sometimes 

Are we honestly comparing Josh Allen to Wentz? Please stop, your making a fool of yourself 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If your honest with yourself and go back you will see he has won of plenty of games. One he did put us on his back we lost  because the kicker got injured and the defense collapsed.

People have a short memory. He was great in the 4th Qtr at Arizona, game winning drive basically - we won. At Baltimore he had a game winning drive but our FG blew it where he threw 400 Yards! Sometimes I wonder what the hell people are watching confused homer simpson GIF

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People have a short memory. He was great in the 4th Qtr at Arizona, game winning drive basically - we won. At Baltimore he had a game winning drive but our FG blew it where he threw 400 Yards! Sometimes I wonder what the hell people are watching confused homer simpson GIF

Wentz had two game winning drives in Baltimore. One in overtime and regulation. SF he had the winning drive with a TD to Pittman to finish that game. AZ. Tampa bay we drove the field to tie and we left too much time on clock. Although he did have a bad overtime second Titans game does anyone remember we had to drive the field to even send it to overtime. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz had two game winning drives in Baltimore. One in overtime and regulation. SF he had the winning drive with a TD to Pittman to finish that game. AZ. Tampa bay we drove the field to tie and we left too much time on clock. Although he did have a bad overtime second Titans game does anyone remember we had to drive the field to even send it to overtime. 

The complainers only see the negatives lmao . Yes we have negatives but they go overboard in here posting them. I need the big guy to talk to them, snaps fingers + sexy homer simpson GIF

10 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Please stop. You are right. Allen is elite and Wentz is a bum.

In fact Wentz isn't even a pimple on Josh Allen's as5

Sorry but truth hurts sometimes 

Are we honestly comparing Josh Allen to Wentz? Please stop, your making a fool of yourself 

Great arguments.  Well thought out and articulated. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ill give you the ravens  game but the cardinals game he was horrible for 3 and a half quarters missing guys badly i cant give him credit for one good drive when the cardinals were held to 13 points before the drive deep into the 4th .   that is tim tebow level credit where he stinks for 95 percent of the game and gets credit .    even the 49ers ill give hiim credit it just needs to be more consistent   .    i can can think of a couple games jacoby came through for us in 2019  like that throw against the broncos or dropping 300 yards against the texans  but it wasnt consistent at all and that is why the colts moved on .  to be a franchise guy it cant be 2 or 3 games out of 16  while at the same time he blew multiple games  .   i want wentz to work bad i wanted a another young gun slinging QB so bad after luck i latched onto wentz because i saw him play very well with the eagles for 3 years .   The raiders game started to change my mind and i stopped being bias .    i hope he proves me wrong i want nothing more to have a young franchise guy in his prime instead of being in QB no mans land .

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

ill give you the ravens  game but the cardinals game he was horrible for 3 and a half quarters missing guys badly i cant give him credit for one good drive when the cardinals were held to 13 points before the drive deep into the 4th .   that is tim tebow level credit where he stinks for 95 percent of the game and gets credit .    even the 49ers ill give hiim credit it just needs to be more consistent   .    i can can think of a couple games jacoby came through for us in 2019  like that throw against the broncos or dropping 300 yards against the texans  but it wasnt consistent at all and that is why the colts moved on .  to be a franchise guy it cant be 2 or 3 games out of 16  while at the same time he blew multiple games  .   i want wentz to work bad i wanted a another young gun slinging QB so bad after luck i latched onto wentz because i saw him play very well with the eagles for 3 years .   The raiders game started to change my mind and i stopped being bias .    i hope he proves me wrong i want nothing more to have a young franchise guy in his prime instead of being in QB no mans land .

Most QB don’t score and complete every pass. Even the elite ones have a bad drive or two a game.  Teams would score 80 points and you might as well not put the defense on the field if that was the case. Josh Allen had no TD and 3 INT and almost lost for his team.

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

it just needs to be more consistent that is my whole point jacoby had games he threw for 3 touchdowns or 300 yards and put the team on his back in 2019 .  the problem was it was only a handful out of 16 and he had just as many games he blew and was really bad .  that is why he was no resigned it has to be consistent , bad games can happen but the good has to out weigh the bad to be a good quarter back .   we will have multiple more years of wentz and see if he improves with better weapons the jury is still out right now .  wentz has shown enough this year to be the starter next year without a doubt but he has to improve to be that guy .

it just needs to be more consistent that is my whole point jacoby had games he threw for 3 touchdowns or 300 yards and put the team on his back in 2019 .  the problem was it was only a handful out of 16 and he had just as many games he blew and was really bad .  that is why he was no resigned it has to be consistent , bad games can happen but the good has to out weigh the bad to be a good quarter back .   we will have multiple more years of wentz and see if he improves with better weapons the jury is still out right now .  wentz has shown enough this year to be the starter next year without a doubt but he has to improve to be that guy .

Consistency will come with better weapons. When everything had to be schemed up and nobody can get open without it it’s going to create inconsistency. It puts a lot of pressure on everything to be executed perfect. That doesn’t always happen. 

Taylor admitted that the lack of practice time hurts. He said when you have guys practicing next to each other who are different from the game it hurts and messes things up.

Archived