Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Jags fired Urban Meyer

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, csmopar said:

To be fair, his greatness, Sheriff Peyton Manning, looked like hot garbage his rookie year. As most QBs do. So I would not write off Trevor Lawrence just yet. 

Yeah I imagine, he will become a lot better if they start running a balanced offense. It's interesting to see so many teams just are not running the ball. It looks like the Eagles and chiefs have figured it out and we are getting better but other teams like the Bills and Jaguars just don't run

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but many were saying Lawrence would be better than Luck. Not even close so far, I guess he could be. Burrow is good and he isn't even Luck.

Too early to tell. But let’s assume he becomes serviceable. Jags Winn 10-12 games a year for the next 10 years, he’s automatically going to be better than Luck over his career simply because he stuck with it. But that’s niether here nor there at the moment cause Luck is done and Trevor is really just getting started. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Too early to tell. But let’s assume he becomes serviceable. Jags Winn 10-12 games a year for the next 10 years, he’s automatically going to be better than Luck over his career simply because he stuck with it. But that’s niether here nor there at the moment cause Luck is done and Trevor is really just getting started. 

I don't see it happening with the Jags, they stink. Luck was just rare and nothing phased him. Grigson ruined his career. Gave him 0 help on the O.Line and traded for Trent lmao . Here is your help Luck - I just gave you Trent :banana:

I think folks are overreacting to both Lawrence's performance, and the situation with Meyer... 

Jag's OL has been in-flux all year, and Lawrence has been top 10 in pressures, etc.. 

Also, Clemson's O was heavy on quick short reads, and he had the best playmakers around him. Now he has to run a full offense and get beyond the first read or two. And he's never been the best in throwing guys open. In short, it's early for him. He's going through a ton of change, and he's doing that behind an iffy OL, on a team that has been bad for a while. 

And not saying Meyer will, or won't work out. But seems like a lot of the stuff could be typical prima donna whining. Press leaks... lol. 

I just remember when I lived in Salt Lake City and Urban Liar said he wasn't going anywhere.  He was staying at Utah.  And he said that multiple times.  And then about as long as it took him walk away from the microphone he was gone.  Abandoned all the athletes that he claimed he was there for.

Won't hurt my feelings to see him gone.

I think he'll be there for at least another year.  Jax is a dumpster fire but it was like that last year.

He's been a very good coach in his career even though it was college.  187 wins and 32 losses.

I have not either liked or not liked him.   I don't fault him for leaving Utah.   I'm sure the Florida job paid allot more than Utah and it also gave him a chance at a National Championship.  He went undefeated at Utah and still couldn't win a title.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think he'll be there for at least another year.  Jax is a dumpster fire but it was like that last year.

He's been a very good coach in his career even though it was college.  187 wins and 32 losses.

I have not either liked or not liked him.   I don't fault him for leaving Utah.   I'm sure the Florida job paid allot more than Utah and it also gave him a chance at a National Championship.  He went undefeated at Utah and still couldn't win a title.

I get it.  And I know these guys are looking at their own careers.  And I have had this discussion here before.  For me it speaks to the kind of guy he is.  It's not that he left - it's how he left.  

Meyer seems to fit the profile of a phony.  A strong word maybe, but he seems to be surrounded by hype and still moves around taking different jobs or rumored to be looking at different jobs.

There is an old saying that says, Don't stick around too long in one place or else they may figure out you're not as good as they thought.

Saban has the profile of a good coach.  Stays put with success.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Meyer seems to fit the profile of a phony.  A strong word maybe, but he seems to be surrounded by hype and still moves around taking different jobs or rumored to be looking at different jobs.

There is an old saying that says, Don't stick around too long in one place or else they may figure out you're not as good as they thought.

He's got three national championships, so I don't think he is a phony.   He also brought Utah back from mediocracy.  I don't think you can have a 187-32 record by fooling people into believing you are a good coach.   

Saban jumped ship at Toledo, Michigan State and LSU before settling in at Alabama for a huge contract.  

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Saban left Toledo after one season to be the browns DC

He left Michigan State after four seasons to go to LSU

He left LSU after 4 seasons and a NC to go to the Dolphins

He left the Dolphins after 2 seasons to take the Alabama job. 

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Oh geez please no 

McHoodie Jr's resume of developing quarterbacks certainly took a hit during his brief stay in Denver, starting his 1st season at 6-0 but finishing 8-8 with Kyle Orton, and the following year drafting Tim Tebow and trading for Brady Quinn, neither of whom really had an impact as quarterbacks in the NFL, outside of Tebow's miraculous playoff win over Pittsburgh in 2011 while McDaniels was the Rams; OC, having been fired by Denver in Week 13 the prior season.

6 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

He is gone 

Wow in less than a day, the owner went from saying he’s going to be patient with Meyer, to firing him a few hours later, in the middle of the night. Wonder what happened to cause the massive and quick shift

Smh. I have never been a fan of his or Gruden's, two people given outrageous contracts to be "saviors". They got big bucks and only brought shame to their respective organizations.

@EastStreet If Notre Dame had not already hired someone, I would have thought they would have hired Meyer. I think some ND fans are not too happy today. They will be doing all they can to get Meyer hired. I think it would be a bad move PR-wise.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Smh. I have never been a fan of his or Gruden's, two people given outrageous contracts to be "saviors". They got big bucks and only brought shame to their respective organizations.

@EastStreet If Notre Dame had not already hired someone, I would have thought they would have hired Meyer. I think some ND fans are not too happy today. They will be doing all they can to get Meyer hired. I think it would be a bad move PR-wise.

Really doubt ND would have even considered him a candidate had he not taken the Jags job in the first place. 

ND looks for squeaky clean guys. Urban's past pre-Jax would have likely kept him from any consideration. 

Some ND fans still like him, some hate him. I personally am indifferent about him. 

• Shive changed the title to *Updated* Jags fired Urban Meyer
50 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wow in less than a day, the owner went from saying he’s going to be patient with Meyer, to firing him a few hours later, in the middle of the night. Wonder what happened to cause the massive and quick shift

It may have been Josh Lambo's comments that were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edit: It seems like that was the case:

As a Colts fan, this news slightly saddens me, because the Jags just potentially got better just in time to play us and I imagine with such a toxic presence in a leadership role gone, they'll be playing extra hard for Bevell. That may not be enough to overcome their talent deficiencies, but I don't think it'll be a walk in the park against them.

As a football fan, I'm happy to see him go. People like Meyer have no place in the sport, regardless of how successful they've been in the past. He's shown who he is as a man in his stint with the Jags and it would shock me if he landed any high level coaching or media job ever again.

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

McHoodie Jr's resume of developing quarterbacks certainly took a hit during his brief stay in Denver, starting his 1st season at 6-0 but finishing 8-8 with Kyle Orton, and the following year drafting Tim Tebow and trading for Brady Quinn, neither of whom really had an impact as quarterbacks in the NFL, outside of Tebow's miraculous playoff win over Pittsburgh in 2011 while McDaniels was the Rams; OC, having been fired by Denver in Week 13 the prior season.

Khan wanting McDaniels will not be reciprocated by McDaniels. He tends to be picky, sometimes without rationale too. After coaching Cam Newton and Mac Jones, I think the Bears job might be attractive for McDaniels, IMO. Or if they are starting over with a new QB, The New York Giants job might be something he would be fine with too though that would mean more spotlight unlike the Bears and less stability since they will be firing Joe Judge, another former Patriots coach.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:37 PM, holeymoley99 said:

My hope is he stays until the end of the year so we beat them in the final week handily as opposed to a new coach getting their guys fired up and making it more difficult. Living in central Florida we get Jags news non stop, word is its is a done deal that Charlie Strong the ex USF,Texas coach will be their head coach for next season.

Not the best news for the Colts but again living 2 hours from Jville and getting all local news it was inevitable and odds were he wouldnt last the season. Hot mess..Bevell runs the rest of the season and Strong takes over for next year.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Khan wanting McDaniels will not be reciprocated by McDaniels. He tends to be picky, sometimes without rationale too. After coaching Cam Newton and Mac Jones, I think the Bears job might be attractive for McDaniels, IMO. Or if they are starting over with a new QB, The New York Giants job might be something he would be fine with too though that would mean more spotlight unlike the Bears and less stability since they will be firing Joe Judge, another former Patriots coach.

I don’t know. Trevor Lawrence..,

Archived