Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Jags fired Urban Meyer

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if Chip Kelly goes to Oregon, the Temple head coach job might be the only one open.

I see Urban Meyer taking a break before going back into coaching, period. I do think a guy like Jerod Mayo (Patriots LB coach) making the big jump to Jacksonville as head coach, just like Brian Flores did with the Dolphins. 

I never thought this would work. Urban never reminded me of being a good pro coach. Saban really wasn't either. Some guys are just made for college. Urban was great in college and Saban is the GOAT. He has Trevor Lawrence and still can't win, many said Trevor was like Andrew Luck, not even close. As of now he couldn't carry Andrew's jock strap. Burrow on the other hand is very impressive and so is Herbert. Coaching has a lot to do with it but Andrew could win with any coach (as in making the playoffs), JMO = he proved it under Arians, Chuck, and Frank.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never thought this would work. 

Same...I just never thought it would go this bad this quickly! I get why he did it, he got a truckload of money dropped off to him. I even get why Jacksonville did it, they had tried previous NFL head coaches, NFL assistants, and it didn't work. They needed something to tell the fanbase that things were changing. But I cant imagine even the most die-hard jags fans thought this was going to work. 

2 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Know what you're saying, but no this is good lol Bad for Jax but good for us!  

I saw someone mention Doug Pederson should be hired as the coach. That might actually be a good job for him with Lawrence. But then he will probably get a lot of looks and will have a choice where to go if he wants to coach again. 

My hope is he stays until the end of the year so we beat them in the final week handily as opposed to a new coach getting their guys fired up and making it more difficult. Living in central Florida we get Jags news non stop, word is its is a done deal that Charlie Strong the ex USF,Texas coach will be their head coach for next season.

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

My hope is he stays until the end of the year so we beat them in the final week handily as opposed to a new coach getting their guys fired up and making it more difficult. Living in central Florida we get Jags news non stop, word is its is a done deal that Charlie Strong the ex USF,Texas coach will be their head coach for next season.

Seem like it only 4 weeks left after Sunday.

As tension builds amid the frustration of a 2-10 season, Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan plans to stay the course with coach Urban Meyer, sources told ESPN on Saturday.

Not sure what to believe. Benching after a fumble happens all the time. 

Jones hasn't been playing great this year. Catch rate under 60%, low passer rating when targeted. IDK... 

He's got a lot of big name assistants on his staff. Gonna guess that part of the story is bit overblown. 

Overall, their D has improved significantly over last year. Far from elite, but much more solid. Their O is still struggling, but that's mostly due to a frosh QB that's underperforming his god-like stature. 

IMO, a lot will likely hinge on what Lawrence wants. If he's pro-Urban, Urban will be back. 

I'm gonna guess this is partly his hard nosed CFB demeanor bumping into diva NFL players. 

CFB coaches are making more than NFL coaches these days, so Urban might just say hey, I don't want the headache, and go back to CFB.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never thought this would work. Urban never reminded me of being a good pro coach. Saban really wasn't either. Some guys are just made for college. Urban was great in college and Saban is the GOAT. He has Trevor Lawrence and still can't win, many said Trevor was like Andrew Luck, not even close. As of now he couldn't carry Andrew's jock strap. Burrow on the other hand is very impressive and so is Herbert. Coaching has a lot to do with it but Andrew could win with any coach (as in making the playoffs), JMO = he proved it under Arians, Chuck, and Frank.

Out of last year draft class I told my Pats buddy I know u always that one @#$@ buddy who cheer for ch33tri0ts but I told him u guys got the best QB out of all QBs. I think he is proving me right. 

11 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Out of last year draft class I told my Pats buddy I know u always that one @#$@ buddy who cheer for ch33tri0ts but I told him u guys got the best QB out of all QBs. I think he is proving me right. 

Sometimes it makes me wonder if it is the QB or more about the system the QB is put in? What if Lawrence played for the Pats and Jones played for the Jags? Jones is the perfect fit for the Pats and under BB.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes it makes me wonder if it is the QB or more about the system the QB is put in? What if Lawrence played for the Pats and Jones played for the Jags? Jones is the perfect fit for the Pats and under BB.

A lot of it is where the QB goes.  Mac went to the best team of all the QB that draft too.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

A lot of it is where the QB goes.  Mac went to the best team of all the QB that draft too.

I agree, the one thing I loved about Luck he wasn't a system QB. I say that because he won a lot of games with so many different coaches and OC's. Peyton wasn't either = 4 SB trips with 4 different head coaches. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, the one thing I loved about Luck he wasn't a system QB. I say that because he won a lot of games with so many different coaches and OC's. Peyton wasn't either = 4 SB trips with 4 different head coaches. 

I would say Peyton and Tom are system qbs in a sense.  they both struggled a little trying to run Bruce arians and Gary kubiak systems until the coaches wised up and let them do their thing 

Luck could run almost anything, obviously hes wouldnt go full Lamar or Mike vick style though.  I think we called a lot of read option when pep was here but Luck usually handed it off

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

I would say Peyton and Tom are system qbs in a sense.  they both struggled a little trying to run Bruce arians and Gary kubiak systems until the coaches wised up and let them do their thing 

Luck could run almost anything, obviously hes wouldnt go full Lamar or Mike vick style though.  I think we called a lot of read option when pep was here but Luck usually handed it off

Peyton and (Tom since 2007) are their own systems which was part of my point. Luck could play in any system so we agree. I think BB had a leash on Tom for his first 3 SB's, after that Tom took over. That is why I always say it was 50/50 between BB and Tom on who deserves more credit for the SB wins. First 3 = BB, last 3 Tom. JMO.

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We hear it every year former players saying playing in the NFL is so much harder than college and the same applies to coaching. Saban looked out of place in the NFL and he knew it so he retreated to where he belongs.

I personally think Saban could go back to the NFL and do better this time around. Of course the talent, team and drafting would make a huge difference. Miami didn’t do him any favors back then. 

7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We hear it every year former players saying playing in the NFL is so much harder than college and the same applies to coaching. Saban looked out of place in the NFL and he knew it so he retreated to where he belongs.

Off the top of my head only 2 coaches that were great in college were great in the Pro's = Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll. Each won a SB and at least 1 College championship. Not only did Jimmy win 2 SB's, he built that Dallas team. Barry Switzer was great in college and he won a SB  but with Jimmy's players in 1995. Most can't make the transition, Urban is one of them, Saban is another and is the GOAT in college (the BB of college). 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off the top of my head only 2 coaches that were great in college were great in the Pro's = Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll. Each won a SB and at least 1 College championship. Not only did Jimmy win 2 SB's, he built that Dallas team. Barry Switzer was great in college and he won a SB  but with Jimmy's players in 1995. Most can't make the transition, Urban is one of them, Saban is another and is the GOAT in college (the BB of college). 

Yep. It’s very rare for college coaches to make the jump compared to someone who has been coaching in the NFL most of their career. Those coordinators have the gift of seeing first hand how it all works day to day. 

And again, you’re working with professionals. Grown men. Not college students. It’s a huge difference. The pros can smell nonsense a mile away. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. It’s very rare for college coaches to make the jump compared to someone who has been coaching in the NFL most of their career. Those coordinators have the gift of seeing first hand how it all works day to day. 

And again, you’re working with professionals. Grown men. Not college students. It’s a huge difference. The pros can smell nonsense a mile away. 

What Jimmy Johnson did was incredible and he followed freakin Tom Landry.

55 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

After all the bad press, and now shutout loss to the Titans, I'm having a hard time believing that Urban Meyer will still have a job before the end of the season.

Right? His reputation was already hanging by a thread with the nightclub drama. Hard for pros to listen to him acting like a tough no-nonsense coach.

He's a bad guy. One of those it's hard to figure out how he became such a success at high level in college. I don't know how someone like that was able to sell a dream to college kids and parents to go play for him. Maybe he runs a dictatorial ship in college which can work over there, but obviously in the league with grown men, you can't do that if you're a scumbag like he is. 

21 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

He's a bad guy. One of those it's hard to figure out how he became such a success at high level in college. I don't know how someone like that was able to sell a dream to college kids and parents to go play for him. Maybe he runs a dictatorial ship in college which can work over there, but obviously in the league with grown men, you can't do that if you're a scumbag like he is. 

It doesn’t work in the NFL where you are leading men not young kids..

43 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I'm a big Ohio State fan. I always thought he was a great guy regarding his help with sex trafficking, his family, & helping young men develop. His downfall has been shocking to watch

1 hour ago, Les Poulains said:

It’s college football, almost every top-tier coach is a scumbag. The entire college football sphere is just gross. It’s a class of elites playing each other in the most unbalanced playoff in sports while 100+ other teams wallow around in mud, and it’s been perpetuated by guys like Urban Meyer. He is everything wrong with college football, which is why he should have stayed there.

17 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

It’s college football, almost every top-tier coach is a scumbag. The entire college football sphere is just gross. It’s a class of elites playing each other in the most unbalanced playoff in sports while 100+ other teams wallow around in mud, and it’s been perpetuated by guys like Urban Meyer. He is everything wrong with college football, which is why he should have stayed there.

You're right but usually there's this veil of integrity coaches pretend to have. I don't think you can say that with Meyer. It's always been right in everyone's face that he's a psycho. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm a big Ohio State fan. I always thought he was a great guy regarding his help with sex trafficking, his family, & helping young men develop. His downfall has been shocking to watch

I suppose if he led your favorite program, tribalism would get involved and you'd not see the flaws. Or choose to ignore them. That's just being a fan, I guess. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be fair, his greatness, Sheriff Peyton Manning, looked like hot garbage his rookie year. As most QBs do. So I would not write off Trevor Lawrence just yet. 

16 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

How many times in a row have the jags/texans had a top 5 pick in the draft!? 
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

and they are both still consistently losers!

Most of it is because they’ve not stuck with a staff long enough to allow them to gel and get better. On top of crap choices in staff. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He should of been fired when he decided to not return home with his team and stay in Ohio and go to the Strip Club. This conduct would have gotten anyone of the players suspended form the team.  He is not qualified to be a Head Coach anywhere! The more we learn the more we find out how arrogant he is and out-of-touch he is with todays Pro athletes 

Archived