Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Jags fired Urban Meyer

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

So much like Bobby Petrino. However, I don't believe Petrino was fired. Petrino just quit in the middle of his first season with the Falcons to take the head coaching job at Arkansas. Arkansas would come to regret their decision to hire him. He got into a car accident hurting himself and his mistress who worked for the school. I think he was fired after trying to cover that up. He is definitely worse than Meyer.

I felt real bad for Falcons Owner Arthur Blank - his team was in the throes of the Vick scandal, and he sees his Head Coach on TV "calling the pig" after being hired away by Arkansas!

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know. Bobby Petrino got multiple chances. And he never won a championship. At least Meyer has that. 

But I agree. I would not want him coaching my team.

I just gotta say, I am enjoying Bobby coaching my old school team (Missouri State). He has led us to the playoffs 2 straight years after missing the prior 30

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I just gotta say, I am enjoying Bobby coaching my old school team (Missouri State). He has led us to the playoffs 2 straight years after missing the prior 30

haha  I thought of you earlier and wondered if you knew the school, as you said you had moved to Missouri.

Be careful. Enjoy it while it lasts. Lots of folks at Louisville liked him too. Almost everywhere Petrino goes it ends bad. He does win games, but he is a lot of trouble. I would never want him representing my school. 

3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I felt real bad for Falcons Owner Arthur Blank - his team was in the throes of the Vick scandal, and he sees his Head Coach on TV "calling the pig" after being hired away by Arkansas!

Same. I like Arthur Blank. After all the Petrino and Vick troubles, I had hoped his team would beat the Pats in the SB.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

haha  I thought of you earlier and wondered if you knew the school, as you said you had moved to Missouri.

Be careful. Enjoy it while it lasts. Lots of folks at Louisville liked him too. Almost everywhere Petrino goes it ends bad. He does win games, but he is a lot of trouble. I would never want him representing my school. 

Haha yep, I graduated with my bachelor and master from there in 2019 and 2020

And while I agree. I also feel the most likely bad scenario is him going to FBS, other than that I don't think much. We were sooooooooooo bad for sooooooooo long, he could do pretty much anything and winning he'd be fine. Plus he's 60s now so a bit more. And like all his family is there and including his son and 2 son in laws on staff. He seems to be enjoying grandpa life 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Same. I like Arthur Blank. After all the Petrino and Vick troubles, I had hoped his team would beat the Pats in the SB.

They should have, and had they scored so much as a field goal in the 2nd Half, they would have! OC Kyle Shanahan, who was officially hired as SF's HC the day after Superbowl LI  seemed to be focusing on his next job, and not the task at hand.

4 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

They should have, and had they scored so much as a field goal in the 2nd Half, they would have! OC Kyle Shanahan, who was officially hired as SF's HC the day after Superbowl LI  seemed to be focusing on his next job, and not the task at hand.

I don't think that is that. Matt Ryan's passing abilities got them in FG range with that insane Julio Jones catch, and the 28-3 lead as well. However, after seeing a strip sack and things go south, a little caution would have been nice in the 4th quarter. Like with Frank Reich, who had to be told there were 20 consecutive passing plays, someone had to tell Robert Quinn that his D that he was in charge of, had been on the field way too long for too many plays. I don't care who you are in the NFL, you will be exhausted if you are on the field 75% of a quarter. He would have then told Shanahan to slow the pace down and run some clock out. Shanahan's clock management and falling in love with the pass showed up again with the 49ers in the 4th qtr. of the SB vs the Chiefs when the 49ers still were within striking distance at 20-24 where the run could have been a factor and they were getting plenty of YPC.  They turn it over on downs and the Chiefs take advantage of a run play where the edge was not set and boom it is 31-20. 

I remember Doc Rivers telling his team when they went against Kobe Bryant. No matter how difficult a shot Kobe Bryant makes despite us playing good D, it still counts as 2 or 3 points. There is no 1 kill shot. The same thing, I wish NFL coaches and QBs would remember "how I get 7 points doesn't matter as long as I move the ball and get first downs when my team has the luxury of time, whether it is a big bomb or methodical drive for 7, it is still 7". I wish Peyton remembered that down 17-24 vs Saints too. 6 straight passes vs a ball hawking Saints secondary, remember Tracy Porter got a 74 yard pick six. In other words, Peyton was around the 30-35 yard line of the Saints. with 3:12 on the clock. He wanted a TD, then a stop and a chance for a game winning FG in his head, going by the play selection, it felt like, like a 2-for-1 in basketball. Just focus on leaving Brees little time and run the ball since running it is what got you the first SB.

32 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I just finished reading this. 

She obviously loves her father and thinks he's Mr. Wonderful, but probably should have stayed off social media.  :facepalm:

A man is defined not by what he does when everyone is watching but defined by what he does when no one is watching. I truly believe that. We all have skeletons in our closet but when you have different folks talk about failings of character in separate instances, you have to stand back and take notice. It is not fair to broad brush and go after the entire family for that but you do have to give due blame for allegations that can be backed up in the case of Urban Meyer. There are lots of things grown men hide from their families, their ugly and depraved sides, just that you get away with fewer things nowadays. 

Social media 101 - if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. :) 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A man is defined not by what he does when everyone is watching but defined by what he does when no one is watching. I truly believe that. We all have skeletons in our closet but when you have different folks talk about failings of character in separate instances, you have to stand back and take notice. 

:agree:100%

2 hours ago, Gramz said:

I just finished reading this. 

She obviously loves her father and thinks he's Mr. Wonderful, but probably should have stayed off social media.  :facepalm:

I notice that she didn't comment on or include any pictures of his infamous lap dance while his wife, presumably her mother, was at home watching their grandchildren.

When it comes to his kids he probably spoils them rotten. Will buy them a new car when needed, buy them a new house when needed, protect them when needed so of course his kids are going to defend him. I am sure his wife will stay with him too, money is an amazing thing lmao . He could be the biggest jerk in the world to the average person but his daughter doesn't care because 'daddy just bought me a new $1000 purse' haha . Urban found out he couldn't be a jerk toward NFL players, that won't cut it. Lambo called him out of all people, a kicker, I love it. I can only imagine if he would've kicked Vinny, Robert Mathis would've pancaked him. Then again Irsay would've never hired anyone like this dude. Irsay gets called out by many hiring the coaches he does, but even Chuck was 10 times better than Urban on the pro level as a leader, being a good guy period, and wins/losses.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to his kids he probably spoils them rotten. Will buy them a new car when needed, buy them a new house when needed, protect them when needed so of course his kids are going to defend him. I am sure his wife will stay with him too, money is an amazing thing lmao . He could be the biggest jerk in the world to the average person but his daughter doesn't care because 'daddy just bought me a new $1000 purse' haha . Urban found out he couldn't be a jerk toward NFL players, that won't cut it. Lambo called him out of all people, a kicker, I love it. I can only imagine if he would've kicked Vinny, Robert Mathis would've pancaked him. Then again Irsay would've never hired anyone like this dude. Irsay gets called out by many hiring the coaches he does, but even Chuck was 10 times better than Urban on the pro level as a leader, being a good guy period, and wins/losses.

Absolutely no question Chuck Pagano is a good man, loving father and a caring husband. I'll always love my Colts for their choice in character. "Colts Guys" gets a lot of eyerolls, but I'd rather support an organization that upholds integrity, honesty and hard work. 

I'm still annoyed with Meyer using his grandchildren as an excuse for missing the flight back home. If you want to spend time with them, tuck them in and read to them. Actually be there for them for Christ's sake. I get cutting lose every once and a while, but if your focus was on spending time with grandkids, then spend time with them!

*Coming from someone who wishes he had more time with his grandparents... 

I saw on GMFB this morning that Doug Pederson is already in FL enjoying golfing and the weather. One of them did a interview with him and he talked about wanting to develop QB. He says he loves to work with young QB. He wouldn’t talk about specific jobs. Was mentioned how he will probably be interviewed pretty quick since he isn’t currently coaching right now.

3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I read that too but the article suggests he was fired for ineffectiveness, not for cause. "For cause" seems to indicate doing something unbecoming of a football coach -- something illegal or unethical. The article said the owner fired him when Meyer had no answers for why the team was losing.  That is not "for cause". No? Meyer can bring a wrongful termination suit. 

I read this too:

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-devastated-after-being-fired-jacksonville-jaguars-amid-scandal-controversy-224641422.html
"I apologize to Jacksonville."

UM may have handled the job at Jacksonville poorly but to pile on him is a joke.

Bottom line - he's a millionaire with 3 NCAA football championships (2 at Florida, 1 at Ohio State), no obvious rap sheet (cough Joe Mixon). What more can a person want? If I told every one of these forum members "if you are given the chance to exchange places with a person whose net worth is $10+ million, no felony nor misdemeanor convictions in lifetime to his name - will you switch places with him?"

100% of you would in an instant.

There is little to legitimately make fun of him for.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, NFLfan said:

I read that too but the article suggests he was fired for ineffectiveness, not for cause. "For cause" seems to indicate doing something unbecoming of a football coach -- something illegal or unethical. The article said the owner fired him when Meyer had no answers for why the team was losing.  That is not "for cause". No? Meyer can bring a wrongful termination suit. 

I read this too:

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-devastated-after-being-fired-jacksonville-jaguars-amid-scandal-controversy-224641422.html
"I apologize to Jacksonville."

Main issue was Urban Meyer did not make the adjustment to treat grown men like grown men. Instead he felt his college style of treating kids like they were disposable, did not give these grown ups the respect they deserved. You can coach without being a jerk and being disrespectful. Plus it seems to have extended beyond players to coaches. He expected "yes men" like he got at college across the board, and when he got resistance from coaches and players, did not deal with it well.

Archived