Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Jags fired Urban Meyer

Restinpeacesweetchloe

24 minutes ago, Shive said:

As a football fan, I'm happy to see him go. People like Meyer have no place in the sport, regardless of how successful they've been in the past. He's shown who he is as a man in his stint with the Jags and it would shock me if he landed any high level coaching or media job ever again.

Yeah, it is another example of how such coaches are tolerated at the NCAA level. That is why college coaches, some of whom are used to being abusive with their players (whether it is Bob Knight or other coaches that have been caught or alleged, I am sure Urban Meyer has done plenty of crap at the college level too), can never make it to the professional level. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't take them long to remove Urban Meyer from their web page.  GONE!

So, who of their coaching staff do you keep?  Personally, I would try to keep some offensive continuity for Trevor Lawrence's sake.  Darrell Bevell is OC, and Brian Schottenheimer is the QB coach.  Should they be jettisoned because Lawrence didn't develop well?  Or does Lawrence just need some seasoning, a better OL, and better weapons to work with?

On 12/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, jvan1973 said:

Saban left Toledo after one season to be the browns DC

He left Michigan State after four seasons to go to LSU

He left LSU after 4 seasons and a NC to go to the Dolphins

He left the Dolphins after 2 seasons to take the Alabama job. 

Duh.

And some people jump around looking for a better opportunity, and stay when they find it, and some people jump around to stay one step ahead of the truth.

Saban seems like one kind, and Meyer always seemed like the other.  To me.

Well, I guess those of us who had reservations were justified for once. Meyer's true colors were exposed way back after "Lap Dance Gate". Unfortunately some college will still pick him up, and his toxic environment and abuse will continue. 

I kind of feel bad for Trevor, that's not how you want to start your NFL career. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Really doubt ND would have even considered him a candidate had he not taken the Jags job in the first place. 

ND looks for squeaky clean guys. Urban's past pre-Jax would have likely kept him from any consideration. 

Some ND fans still like him, some hate him. I personally am indifferent about him. 

The first ever sports forum that I followed was the ND forum (Irish Illustrated??). That was a long time ago. I even followed college recruiting. I believe he coached under Bob Davie when Davie was the head coach of ND. So, he was known to the fans. The fans wanted Meyer but reportedly Meyer wanted the school to lower its academic standards from what they were and when ND declined, he chose not to take the job. That is what I remember reports saying. ND instead hired Charlie Weis, IIRC.

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Well, I guess those of us who had reservations were justified for once. Meyer's true colors were exposed way back after "Lap Dance Gate". Unfortunately some college will still pick him up, and his toxic environment and abuse will continue. 

I kind of feel bad for Trevor, that's not how you want to start your NFL career. 

He will be OK as long as they give him the support and stability moving forward.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Smh. I have never been a fan of his or Gruden's, two people given outrageous contracts to be "saviors". They got big bucks and only brought shame to their respective organizations.

@EastStreet If Notre Dame had not already hired someone, I would have thought they would have hired Meyer. I think some ND fans are not too happy today. They will be doing all they can to get Meyer hired. I think it would be a bad move PR-wise.

I don't think there is a team that will touch Meyer with a 10 foot pole now. I think he is done regarding any D1 school and the Pro's. Too much baggage.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think there is a team that will touch Meyer with a 10 foot pole now. I think he is done regarding any D1 school and the Pro's. Too much baggage.

I think he was content in retirement, but was offered too much money to pass up.

Now he can back to being retired with a bigger bag of money, unless he thinks he still has something to prove.  Doubt it, he's done!

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Didn't take them long to remove Urban Meyer from their web page.  GONE!

So, who of their coaching staff do you keep?  Personally, I would try to keep some offensive continuity for Trevor Lawrence's sake.  Darrell Bevell is OC, and Brian Schottenheimer is the QB coach.  Should they be jettisoned because Lawrence didn't develop well?  Or does Lawrence just need some seasoning, a better OL, and better weapons to work with?

Personally, I hope he sucks and the organization sucks , forever.

3 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

I think he was content in retirement, but was offered too much money to pass up.

Now he can back to being retired with a bigger bag of money, unless he thinks he still has something to prove.  Doubt it, he's done!

He should have stayed retired.

He may have lost more than his coaching career with his latest greed.

Jobs come and go. 

Family, trust, respect, integrity and the list goes on  are not always easy to repair or replace.

11 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Family, trust, respect, integrity and the list goes on  are not always easy to repair or replace.

Yep. Something Dungy, Pagano and Reich have in spades.  I do respect our organization's head coaching hires over the last 2 decades on those fronts. One doesn't need to compromise on those aspects for winning.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. Something Dungy, Pagano and Reich have in spades.  I do respect our organization's head coaching hires over the last 2 decades on those fronts. One doesn't need to compromise on those aspects for winning.

Where does McDaniels fit in this scenario? He was actually hired before he left us at the altar which actually worked out well, and led to our hiring of Frank.

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Where does McDaniels fit in this scenario? He was actually hired before he left us at the altar which actually worked out well, and led to our hiring of Frank.

Things that were meant to be for the Colts were what happened. McDaniels is a good family man too, I heard but unfortunately like Anakin Skywalker, he was persuaded by the dark side. :) 

32 minutes ago, Gramz said:

He should have stayed retired.

He may have lost more than his coaching career with his latest greed.

Jobs come and go. 

Urbane is likely quite content to take the $$$ and go hang out again with the coeds. 

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

They just need to find a experienced mature coach. It’s sad in this case Lawerence is more mature then the coach was. I have seen Caldwell and Pederson mentioned as possibilities. Both would be good.

Wasn't Byron Leftwich drafted by the Jags? He has a history with the team. Maybe they go in that direction. They need some stability. Give a head coach and the front office at least 4-5 years to build and develop the team. 

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know. Bobby Petrino got multiple chances. And he never won a championship. At least Meyer has that. 

But I agree. I would not want him coaching my team.

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Wasn't Byron Leftwich drafted by the Jags? He has a history with the team. Maybe they go in that direction. They need some stability. Give a head coach and the front office at least 4-5 years to build and develop the team. 

I think he is going to be a great coach but he has no head coaching experience. If I was jags I want someone who has actually won as a head coach.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know. Bobby Petrino got multiple chances. And he never won a championship. At least Meyer has that. 

But I agree. I would not want him coaching my team.

I think some school will give him a chance if he wants one.  He just wins too much and that’s what a lot of college fans only care about.  Look no further than Rick Pitino, yeah know I different sport, but when you look at what happened at Louisville on his watch it’s impossible to think someone else would give him a chance but Iona did.  With that said I am with you guys if it’s my kid no way on earth he’s going where Meyer is.  

58 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think he is going to be a great coach but he has no head coaching experience. If I was jags I want someone who has actually won as a head coach.

Most head coaches have never been head coaches before. Look throughout the NFL. Guys just need to be given a chance. Jags are not this great organization that gets to pick the cream of the crop. JMO

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Most head coaches have never been head coaches before. Look throughout the NFL. Guys just need to be given a chance. Jags are not this great organization that gets to pick the cream of the crop. JMO

They have some good pieces on that team. If I was Doug Pederson or Jim Caldwell it would be a really intriguing place to go. Plus you should have your franchise QB in place.

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The first ever sports forum that I followed was the ND forum (Irish Illustrated??). That was a long time ago. I even followed college recruiting. I believe he coached under Bob Davie when Davie was the head coach of ND. So, he was known to the fans. The fans wanted Meyer but reportedly Meyer wanted the school to lower its academic standards from what they were and when ND declined, he chose not to take the job. That is what I remember reports saying. ND instead hired Charlie Weis, IIRC.

II is 247 now. I still follow that, along with Rivals and a few others for news on recruits. I don't follow their forums anymore. I used to be a recruiting fanatic, but have stepped back a lot. I still know all of them, etc., just don't track as close as I did. I tuned in a bit closer this month with the whole coaching situation.

Overall, ND started tightening up academic requirements when Holtz was there. It's probably the biggest reason Holtz was forced out or "retired". A lot of big time coaches even now won't consider ND because of the requirements. Much easier to go to the football factories like OSU, the SEC, or really any other Power 5 school. I have a feeling Urban would have ended up a much different person had he coached at ND. 

I really don't care about Meyer one way or another. I thought the NFL was the wrong place for him when he took the job TBH, but thought he might be able to pull it off if Lawrence developed quickly. He should have went back to a CFB team IMO. Top CFB schools pay more than the NFL anyway for HCs. And you don't have to deal with prima donnas as much in CFB. 

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This keeps getting worse.

So much like Bobby Petrino. However, I don't believe Petrino was fired. Petrino just quit in the middle of his first season with the Falcons to take the head coaching job at Arkansas. Arkansas would come to regret their decision to hire him. He got into a car accident hurting himself and his mistress who worked for the school. I think he was fired after trying to cover that up. He is definitely worse than Meyer.

Archived