Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead to the Pats (merge)


Stephen
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Colts versus Patriots will be most important game of year. To beat the Patriots we have to protect the football. The Patriots can be run on,but absolutely cannot turn it over.

The one chink in Taylor’s armor is that he will fumble now and then.  The Pats are going to be all over him to rip that ball out next week.  Also Wentz can’t get too cute and try to win the game on every play.  If it’s not there throw it away or take the sack and live to play another down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CR91 said:

Only game that can slide is the cards game. Gotta beat the pats and raiders no question

The can get in with a loss to the Pats or Cards.  Don’t get me wrong if I had to pick I’d take the Pats win but it’s not a death nail if they lose to them.  Basically they need to win two out of three vs the Pats, cards, raiders and make sure they don’t find away to lose to the Jags.  Honestly there are some scenarios where they could lose to the Pats AND cards but they will clearly need more help.  Assuming New England wins the east having the head to head tie breaker over Buffalo could end up being huge.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The can get in with a loss to the Pats or Cards.  Don’t get me wrong if I had to pick I’d take the Pats win but it’s not a death nail if they lose to them.  Basically they need to win two out of three vs the Pats, cards, raiders and make sure they don’t find away to lose to the Jags.  Honestly there are some scenarios where they could lose to the Pats AND cards but they will clearly need more help.  Assuming New England wins the east having the head to head tie breaker over Buffalo could end up being huge.

 

It's better to lose to an NFC team. Doesn't have anything to do with the Pats.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

It's better to lose to an NFC team. Doesn't have anything to do with the Pats.

I know what you mean and didn’t take it as being the Pats.  Frankly the fact the Pats are an AFC team is why I said I would pick them over the Cards if I had my pick I am just saying a loss to the Pats doesn’t kill them if they turn around and beat the Cards.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know what you mean and didn’t take it as being the Pats.  Frankly the fact the Pats are an AFC team is why I said I would pick them over the Cards if I had my pick I am just saying a loss to the Pats doesn’t kill them if they turn around and beat the Cards.

Hoping we beat them both

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We all know BB is gonna do everything he can to take away Taylor and Reich is going to need a counter punch otherwise we're in for a long day. I hate to say this because it goes against everything I've said for this team to be successful, but Wentz is going to need to win this game and he's going to need to play a clean game. If BB wants to take away Taylor, then we need Wentz to put the game on his shoulders and come through.

 

As for the defense, at the end of the day Mac Jones is still a rookie. Rookies can get got. Hell BB did it twice to Herbert. Step one Colts need to stop their run game. If we let the pats dictate this game, it's over. Step two Colts need to disguise their coverage. This is not Brady we're playing. Mac Jones has not seen every coverage so we need to force him to make bad decisions. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We better be ready.

Billy will shut down (limit) Taylor and Pittman.  He’ll know Wentz’s tendencies along with his strengths and weaknesses.  
  NE’s offense will know whhere to test us.  He’ll be smart wnuff to see we dont get pressure, and our back-end is suspect.  He’ll have a new twist we havent seen yet, and they wont beat themselves.  Their D will be active, unpredictable, and will really test us.

  We will probably have to play our “cleanest” game of the year.

  I think we can win from a football standpoint.  What concerns me is those 2-4 plays a game that we seem to hurt ourselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

We better be ready.

Billy will shut down (limit) Taylor and Pittman.  He’ll know Wentz’s tendencies along with his strengths and weaknesses.  
  NE’s offense will know whhere to test us.  He’ll be smart wnuff to see we dont get pressure, and our back-end is suspect.  He’ll have a new twist we havent seen yet, and they wont beat themselves.  Their D will be active, unpredictable, and will really test us.

  We will probably have to play our “cleanest” game of the year.

  I think we can win from a football standpoint.  What concerns me is those 2-4 plays a game that we seem to hurt ourselves.

 

I can honestly see a butt-ton of roll outs. Imo, those are what kill our defense all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CR91 said:

 

I can honestly see a butt-ton of roll outs. Imo, those are what kill our defense all the time.


Roll outs?     With Mac Jones?

 

Has this even been a thing for Jones this year?    Has he had success doing that?   I haven’t heard this, so I’m asking…. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:


Roll outs?     With Mac Jones?

 

Has this even been a thing for Jones this year?    Has he had success doing that?   I haven’t heard this, so I’m asking…. 

 

Mac Jones is not the fastest no, but buying time outside the pocket is something I'm sure BB will have him try to do to exploit what I feel is the biggest issue on our defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Mac Jones is not the fastest no, but buying time outside the pocket is something I'm sure BB will have him try to do to exploit what I feel is the biggest issue on our defense.


Im just saying if he hasn’t done much if this up to now, it might not work out quite as well for him as you fear. 
 

Im basing this on his pre-draft evaluation where I thought he was viewed as more of a picket passer than a guy who you can do roll outs with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

62% chances of playoffs now.

Lose to NE - down to 38%

Beat NE - 84%

 

Note this will change based on next week's results, but just shows how critical it is.... 

Playoff standings as of now for the WildCard:

#5 = Bills 7-4

#6 = Chargers 7-5

#7 = Bengals 7-5

#8 = Colts 7-6 or is it the Steelers at 6-5-1? Steelers still play at the Chiefs and at Ravens thank God. We are basically tied for 8th. Broncos losing really helped, Chiefs came through there.

 

The 62% is pretty accurate, before I looked at your post, I was talking to a friend on the phone and he asked me what did I think our chances were of making the playoffs and I told him 60% lmao . I was close. By the way I do know the Chargers still play the Chiefs again as well haha . Chargers beat them earlier in the year, Mahomes won't let a sweep happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Playoff standings as of now for the WildCard:

#5 = Bills 7-4

#6 = Chargers 7-5

#7 = Bengals 7-5

#8 = Colts 7-6 or is it the Steelers at 6-5-1? Steelers still play at the Chiefs and at Ravens thank God. We are basically tied for 8th. Broncos losing really helped, Chiefs came through there.

 

The 62% is pretty accurate, before I looked at your post, I was talking to a friend on the phone and he asked me what did I think our chances were of making the playoffs and I told him 60% lmao . I was close. By the way I do know the Chargers still play the Chiefs again as well haha . Chargers beat them earlier in the year, Mahomes won't let a sweep happen.

Raiders loss as well helps big. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since it seems I can't start a thread I will add it here. Coming to Indy for my first Colt’s home game vs the Pats (seen the twice on the road).  I am from NC and was just looking for suggestions of things to do around Indy that Friday and pregame Saturday. Looking for some good food, drinks and atmosphere. Thanks for any suggestions.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Nadine changed the title to Looking ahead to the Pats (merge)
5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Playoff standings as of now for the WildCard:

#5 = Bills 7-4

#6 = Chargers 7-5

#7 = Bengals 7-5

#8 = Colts 7-6 or is it the Steelers at 6-5-1? Steelers still play at the Chiefs and at Ravens thank God. We are basically tied for 8th. Broncos losing really helped, Chiefs came through there.

 

The 62% is pretty accurate, before I looked at your post, I was talking to a friend on the phone and he asked me what did I think our chances were of making the playoffs and I told him 60% lmao . I was close. By the way I do know the Chargers still play the Chiefs again as well haha . Chargers beat them earlier in the year, Mahomes won't let a sweep happen.

Looking at the bengals and Steelers schedules I can see why we have such a high chance .   If the bills lose tonight and next week vs Tampa we can take their wildcard spot . The Steelers have the Vikings Thursday night then the Titans and chiefs . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

Looking at the bengals and Steelers schedules I can see why we have such a high chance .   If the bills lose tonight and next week vs Tampa we can take their wildcard spot . The Steelers have the Vikings Thursday night then the Titans and chiefs . 

@EastStreetsaid we have a 62% chance of making the playoffs and I had it 60% before i read his post so things are looking good. I have looked at the other teams schedules is why I came up with 60% off the top of my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreetsaid we have a 62% chance of making the playoffs and I had it 60% before i read his post so things are looking good. I have looked at the other teams schedules is why I came up with 60% off the top of my head.

If all goes right on our bye week we will be the 7 th seed hosting the patriots we beat them we could be the 6th seed .  We need the Titans to beat the Steelers because there’s no real way to catch 3 games on them with 5 left when they have the easiest schedule left . Steelers are a bigger threat now they have a half a game on us 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

If all goes right on our bye week we will be the 7 th seed hosting the patriots we beat them we could be the 6th seed .  We need the Titans to beat the Steelers because there’s no real way to catch 3 games on them with 5 left when they have the easiest schedule left . Steelers are a bigger threat now they have a half a game on us 

Steelers still have games at the Chiefs and at Ravens. They will lose at least 7 games IMO. We need to go 10-7 at least and we will be fine. By the way I give you huge credit for saying Wentz was like Luck, he is right there with the way he been playing. I was wrong about Wentz, I am believer now. I think Wentz is no doubt a franchise QB. I would take him over Tannehill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

We all know BB is gonna do everything he can to take away Taylor and Reich is going to need a counter punch otherwise we're in for a long day. I hate to say this because it goes against everything I've said for this team to be successful, but Wentz is going to need to win this game and he's going to need to play a clean game. If BB wants to take away Taylor, then we need Wentz to put the game on his shoulders and come through.

 

As for the defense, at the end of the day Mac Jones is still a rookie. Rookies can get got. Hell BB did it twice to Herbert. Step one Colts need to stop their run game. If we let the pats dictate this game, it's over. Step two Colts need to disguise their coverage. This is not Brady we're playing. Mac Jones has not seen every coverage so we need to force him to make bad decisions. 

I agree with most of this with the exception of putting the game on Wentz’s  shoulders.  He only has one clear receiver he can count on and that’s Pittman.  Maybe Doyle as well but that’s it.  The other receivers are just guys.  People are already asking for Dulin over Pascal.  So I don’t see a big opportunity here if they shut down the run game.  Wentz just doesn’t have the weapons to win it by himself.  We can not afford to be one dimensional.  We need the run game to make our offense dangerous.  That’s where our talented players reside.  We need to run the football to win.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with most of this with the exception of putting the game on Wentz’s  shoulders.  He only has one clear receiver he can count on and that’s Pittman.  Maybe Doyle as well but that’s it.  The other receivers are just guys.  People are already asking for Dulin over Pascal.  So I don’t see a big opportunity here if they shut down the run game.  Wentz just doesn’t have the weapons to win it by himself.  We can not afford to be one dimensional.  We need the run game to make our offense dangerous.  That’s where are talented players reside.  We need to run the football to win.

 

And if BB continues to stack the box and Taylor is going no where? We can't be stubborn about this otherwise the game will get out of hand quick.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

And if BB continues to stack the box and Taylor is going no where? We can't be stubborn about this otherwise the game will get out of hand quick.

 

It will get out of hand if they stop Taylor and our run game.  You can always run outside too.  Something we didn’t do against the Bucs but we did yesterday.  That’s up to the coaches to figure out. The strength of our OL is run blocking.  That’s where the focus should be.  Wentz can be very effective when it’s working.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Would love to see Strachan active for this game.  Force BB to react to his size and speed.  Might be a wrinkle he isn't quite expecting.

Strachan is a one trick pony right now.  That’s why he’s not active.  Hopefully he will learn some more this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It will get out of hand if they stop Taylor and our run game.  You can always run outside too.  Something we didn’t do against the Bucs but we did yesterday.  That’s up to the coaches to figure out. The strength of our OL is run blocking.  That’s where the focus should be.  Wentz can be very effective when it’s working.

I don't think Patriots can stop Taylor. They let two backup rbs run for over 100 yards against them and they knew the Titans would run because all their top wrs we're out

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Protect the football, no turn overs and run the damn ball. Keep it simple. Belichick will do whatever it takes to remove Taylor from the game, but honestly, keep running it and make his plan not work out.

That is number one thing. Can't turn over football and no forcing the ball to any wr

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Protect the football, no turn overs and run the damn ball. Keep it simple. Belichick will do whatever it takes to remove Taylor from the game, but honestly, keep running it and make his plan not work out.

I dont think anyone trusts Frank to not abandon the run if it doesn't work on the first 5-10 carries. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think anyone trusts Frank to not abandon the run if it doesn't work on the first 5-10 carries. 

These are the scenarios that worry me with Frank. I will not be shocked if we come out and throw the ball 9 out of 10 plays simply because the Pats know we're gonna run, therefore BB will be expecting the run, so lets do something unexpected and pass like crazy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...