Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead to the Pats (merge)

Stephen

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/6/2021 at 12:00 AM, GoColts8818 said:

The one chink in Taylor’s armor is that he will fumble now and then.  The Pats are going to be all over him to rip that ball out next week.  Also Wentz can’t get too cute and try to win the game on every play.  If it’s not there throw it away or take the sack and live to play another down.

Yes, it's vitally important we take care of the ball or the outcome at the end won't be in our favor. 

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

They didn't focus on the passing game at all they knew tannehill wasn't throwing with all the wrs they had out

Clearly you didn’t watch that game.  Please explain why the Patriots played a pass-oriented defense, then, and not a run-oriented defense.

39 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

What’s hilarious is that pats game plan didn’t really even work. They scored 1 touchdown and that was on a one cut 76 yarder. I actually feel bad for the Bills. That was a heartbreaker.

You are correct. Bills failed to execute in the red zone. I know pats defense is tough in the red zone but you are correct this was more about the bills nor executing. They also tried to do what the pats were doing and they aren’t built that way. Once they started throwing they actually had some success.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

You are correct. Bills failed to execute in the red zone. I know pats defense is tough in the red zone but you are correct this was more about the bills nor executing. They also tried to do what the pats were doing and they aren’t built that way. Once they started throwing they actually had some success.

The last drive NE was playing prevent-ish coverage.... 

Some rando-twitter guy saying the weather wasn't a factor is pretty silly.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The last drive NE was playing prevent-ish coverage.... 

Some rando-twitter guy saying the weather wasn't a factor is pretty silly.

Exactly, we saw how a well thrown hard back shoulder pass to Diggs went astray, and that was not a soft throw by any means or a long distance throw. NE DBs just read the QB's tendencies better than the QB who didn't see Myles Bryant coming off Beasley to get in the passing lane to disrupt that 4th down throw at the end, it was truly the story of the game, the well coached secondary which for crying out loud was playing without Kyle Dugger on Covid.

Reich should just follow KISS principles in this game. Unless the situation calls for it, dare the Patriots to stop the run since, like the Bills front, the Patriots front can be a lighter one, if we get hat on hat, JT is gone for chunks. BB likes to play 60 minute squeeze and chess games where he lets the opposition self destruct, little by little. We need to be willing AND able to do the same, that is how we win. If Bill goes away from 3 safeties and brings in a 3rd LB, pass to TEs and RBs to put those LBs in space. Just don't try tough window throws since they have athletes like Dugger and Jamie Collins in the middle for active deflections, has to be high percentage, IMO.

Reich vs McDaniels, McDaniels got the first one with Brady in 2018, HC and GM Reich and Ballard need to show McDaniels and Belichick we have what it takes to beat the best in the AFC. Great measuring stick game, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well they got to the red zone just fine.  

It is the coverage and the space in the zones that don't get squeezed till you get to the red zone, where you can use the end zone pylons for a few inches, front side pylons for a few inches, and the back side of the end one as extra defenders because they cannot step out and come back, and DBs can lose sight for a half second and recover because the pass catcher cannot run away from them vertically as long as there are enough guys in passing lanes laterally. THAT is why. 

That is also why Peyton practiced those touch passes towards the back of the end zone pylons because it is not a throw Luck or Wentz could easily make, takes the right velocity to keep the DB from recovering but also the right amount of touch so that the DB if he leaps cannot get to it where only the WR can catch it inside a phone booth, it was remarkable to watch. QBs would prefer to gun it into zones in the end zone rather than attempt that touch pass.

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

What’s hilarious is that pats game plan didn’t really even work. They scored 1 touchdown and that was on a one cut 76 yarder. I actually feel bad for the Bills. That was a heartbreaker.

Didn’t work?

14>10.

all 10 points were gifts to the Bills.  The terrible touching by Harry and the gift unnecessary roughness penalty.

Without those the Bills don’t score a point.

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I think so too. Talent wise we’re superior. Just hope we’re not out coached

Patriots have a better front seven, a better secondary by far, and their skills players on offense aren’t far from Indy’s.  Patriots have a dominating O-line, too, and a dominant run game.

Clearly they’re the better team.  
And NE has the vastly superior coach.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is the coverage and the space in the zones that don't get squeezed till you get to the red zone, where you can use the end zone pylons for a few inches, front side pylons for a few inches, and the back side of the end one as extra defenders because they cannot step out and come back, and DBs can lose sight for a half second and recover because the pass catcher cannot run away from them vertically as long as there are enough guys in passing lanes laterally. THAT is why. 

That is also why Peyton practiced those touch passes towards the back of the end zone pylons because it is not a throw Luck or Wentz could easily make, takes the right velocity to keep the DB from recovering but also the right amount of touch so that the DB if he leaps cannot get to it where only the WR can catch it inside a phone booth, it was remarkable to watch. QBs would prefer to gun it into zones in the end zone rather than attempt that touch pass.

You can say pats were the result of the red zone mishaps. That Twitter post was not talking about that. He was talking about not using the wind as a excuse. I agree with him that Bills started throwing too late. 

1 minute ago, B~Town said:

I think we are going to come out and punch NE right in the mouth . Show we are the team nobody will want to draw in the playoffs .

Yep. If players act like some of the posters on this thread they will get trounced. It’s time players say hey we are just as good if not better then you. I don’t want players scared of playing the pats.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Exactly, we saw how a well thrown hard back shoulder pass to Diggs went astray, and that was not a soft throw by any means or a long distance throw. NE DBs just read the QB's tendencies better than the QB who didn't see Myles Bryant coming off Beasley to get in the passing lane to disrupt that 4th down throw at the end, it was truly the story of the game, the well coached secondary which for crying out loud was playing without Kyle Dugger on Covid.

Reich should just follow KISS principles in this game. Unless the situation calls for it, dare the Patriots to stop the run since, like the Bills front, the Patriots front can be a lighter one, if we get hat on hat, JT is gone for chunks. BB likes to play 60 minute squeeze and chess games where he lets the opposition self destruct, little by little. We need to be willing AND able to do the same, that is how we win. If Bill goes away from 3 safeties and brings in a 3rd LB, pass to TEs and RBs to put those LBs in space. Just don't try tough window throws since they have athletes like Dugger and Jamie Collins in the middle for active deflections, has to be high percentage, IMO.

Reich vs McDaniels, McDaniels got the first one with Brady in 2018, HC and GM Reich and Ballard need to show McDaniels and Belichick we have what it takes to beat the best in the AFC. Great measuring stick game, IMO. 

Yup. Allen had some good throws no doubt, but the wind caught several too. The wind died down for spells, but was horrible a lot too. Even blew a flag off one of the uprights. The vid they showed outside of the stadium was pretty brutal with stuff getting blown around. The stadium had swirls all night.

On the upcoming matchup, haven't dug into it yet. Going to start here in a few after I've had some caffeine lol... I definitely have a gut feel on what we need to do, or should do, but will wait till I've dug a little. Regardless, I'm sure BB will try to make us throw. wouldn't doubt if he did a lot of same things TB did. Keep in mind that you don't need to stack the box to run blitz. TB wasn't heavy all game long, they just stuffed the A and B gaps. They did that effectively with 5 guys up on the LOS and still could keep DBs back.  Regardless, I think we'll need balance. And I'm sure the evil hoodie will have some surprises for us. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:42 AM, CR91 said:

And if BB continues to stack the box and Taylor is going no where? We can't be stubborn about this otherwise the game will get out of hand quick.

Houston was stuffing the run at first.  Still gotta pound it and mix it up.  That’s when we play our best football.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The Colts offense rarely runs a full back.   I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up?

Yes I know.  The Colts rarely run like that because there isn't even a fullback on the roster.  They use Doyle in those infrequent sets.

But NE and BALT "pound the rock" by using a fullback a lot.  That's why they have one on the roster.  They plan to pound it, when they have to,     

For people who want us to run a lot, pound it like NE did, we don't even have the roster to do it.  I wouldn't ever expect to see it from us as a consistent theme of a game plan.  Don't blame Frank.  Blame Ballard.

Plays I would like Reich to use in the red zone (lots of them came from Clyde Christensen and Peyton that came up with special red zone plays) IF he has to pass vs Patriots. I have been watching Belichick and Peyton go at each other for years, so many plays I can recollect mainly because of Peyton, who was the reason I became a Colts fan.

Manning to Gonzo in 2008 pick play (Around 30 seconds in this video Colts vs Patriots 2008)

Dabo Swinney with DeShaun Watson using the Colts and Patriots pick play to Renfrow for winning TD vs Alabama (might have to run the pick in a less obvious way in the NFL)

Brock Osweiler throwing to Andre Caldwell vs Patriots (Peyton told him to look at half time for backside of Cover 2 for end zone throw)

Anyone else remember this backside for end zone throw from Eli to Plaxico?? 

Other instances where similar throw was attempted but not executed vs Patriots:

1. Thanks to former stupid catch rule: OBJ vs Patriots in 2018

2. Lee Evans dropped TD in 2011 AFCCG

If we have to throw in the middle vs Jamie Collins, you need plays like these to Owen Daniels (Granson can be used as such because MAC is a jump ball guy in short spaces and Doyle has no juke left in him, Belichick is going to have zones favor Pittman and TY, hands down, Granson will be 1-on-1, another nice TE play design if the Patriots crash the run would be this TD pass from Eli to Jake Ballard to beat Patriots in 2011 regular season)

Or if push comes to shove, we can just do this with JT like in 2006 AFCCG with Addai

The key is our OL being able to win battles vs Belichick and their DL thus forcing Belichick to go to Plan B (going away from nickel CB to 3 safeties) and Plan C (going away from 3 safeties to 3 LBs), that opens up more options for our O against their D, hands down.

I've been reading stuff that is overplaying what BB did.  Like it was something successful.  Running it like that was not a successful offensive game plan, per se. 

It score 14 points,  BB ran it on 3rd and long....he gave up, basically.  Running it every play produced a lot of 3 and outs.

Buff can't run on anybody, and the weather kept them from passing it efficiently.  All NE had to do was get a few positive plays, but let the weather act as a 12th defensive man because of who Buffalo is.

BB just sat back and basically did nothing offensively, and made Buffalo defeat the weather....and BUFF failed. 

NE can't do that in a normal weather situation.

And, some BUFF players are mad at NE for the way they won...by basically doing nothing.  The players are embarrassed because they got beat by the weather as much as they got beat by NEs offense.

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I hope the players and Reich are not as intimidated by the pats as some of you guys are in this thread. If they are they will lose. 

You do have a flair for the dramatic, respect for an opponent's strengths is not the same as being intimidated. You have to kill with kindness, like Peyton and Brady did, gushing about each other before every duel. Why can't fans do the same? :) 

After all, like Reggie Wayne said, "the other guy is on scholarship too".

27 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I hope the players and Reich are not as intimidated by the pats as some of you guys are in this thread. If they are they will lose. 

No one is afraid. It's respect for what they do, and the talent they have. Frank and the team will approach it the same way. 

33 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

Didn’t work?

14>10.

all 10 points were gifts to the Bills.  The terrible touching by Harry and the gift unnecessary roughness penalty.

Without those the Bills don’t score a point.

I never said anything about the Bills game plan. Pats won and that’s all that matters but You guys scored 1 touchdown on 1 play. I repeat 1 play. I don’t really blame BB for why he called that type of game, Mac Jones just you know has a weak arm. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've been reading stuff that is overplaying what BB did.  Like it was something successful.  Running it like that was not a successful offensive game plan, per se. 

It score 14 points,  BB ran it on 3rd and long....he gave up, basically.  Running it every play produced a lot of 3 and outs.

Buff can't run on anybody, and the weather kept them from passing it efficiently.  All NE had to do was get a few positive plays, but let the weather act as a 12th defensive man because of who Buffalo is.

BB just sat back and basically did nothing offensively, and made Buffalo defeat the weather....and BUFF failed. 

NE can't do that in a normal weather situation.

And, some BUFF players are mad at NE for the way they won...by basically doing nothing.  They are embarrassed because BUFF could not beat the weather.

BB is smart. He knew he had the weather on his team last night. Buffalo is too reliant on the pass. NE isn't.

35 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

Patriots have a better front seven, a better secondary by far, and their skills players on offense aren’t far from Indy’s.  Patriots have a dominating O-line, too, and a dominant run game.

Clearly they’re the better team.  
And NE has the vastly superior coach.

Patriots don’t have a dominate run game. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

BB is smart. He new he had the weather on his team last night. Buffalo is too reliant on the pass. NE isn't.

Buffalo should have had more called running plays for Allen in the RZ.  Use Moss as a lead blocker as an extra man.  Griese was pointing that out all night.  Not that I've noticed anything insightful from him as a pattern, but he was right about that last night, IMO.

Archived