Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead to the Pats (merge)

Stephen

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

What made it even worse is he had that GREAT game and became just another face the rest of the season. Insult to injury. 

Was out of the league two years later...and never had a game with more than 12 carries after that (only two games with 10+ carries). Being a RB for BB is not good for job security.

If Frank or Eberflus think the Pats will come in here and just ground and pound, I believe they're making a mistake.  When Brady had little-to-no experience, they came in here used a lot of misdirection, rolled him out and took numerous downfield shots.  The Colts certainly weren't ready for it. 

22 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Frank or Eberflus think the Pats will come in here and just ground and pound, I believe they're making a mistake.  When Brady had little-to-no experience, they came in here used a lot of misdirection, rolled him out and took numerous downfield shots.  The Colts certainly weren't ready for it. 

True. The conditions at Buffalo had to do everything with it. Belichick and McDaniels are the type of guys not afraid to throw it 40 times or run it 40 times based on what the conditions and opponents are. With their investment in the 2 TEs, and our weaknesses in coverage of TEs, they will attack us with Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry with their pass catching RBs thrown in the passing game as well just like Brady did with Fournette. At least that is how I would attack us.

Just like vs the Titans and the Bucs, this game will come down to if Wentz and Frank can stay patient vs the Patriots on offense without turning it over (that is the key) and get close to 25 points, which might win the game for us, IMO. This game would be perfect for the balance we fans have been clamoring for with Frank, with 30 runs and 25-30 passes sprinkled in.

So, yes, their passing game will be opened up playing indoors for Mac Jones, no doubt and I wouldn't be surprised if he attempts 30 passes even if they are more of the short and intermediate kind. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, Stephen said:

I don't think Patriots can stop Taylor. They let two backup rbs run for over 100 yards against them and they knew the Titans would run because all their top wrs we're out

They did that in order to focus on the passing game.

what was the score of that game again?

Patriots win by 10+. Best defense in the NFL, by quite a bit.

4 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

I am still trying to figure out how the pats thrashed the Titans letting Titans run that much. Score was 36-13. There had to be a lot of turnovers in the red zone to lose by that much when you run for over 200 yards. 

Edit Tannehill only had 93 yards and one int.

39 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am still trying to figure out how the pats thrashed the Titans letting Titans run that much. Score was 36-13. There had to be a lot of turnovers in the red zone to lose by that much when you run for over 200 yards. 

Tightening in the red zone, that is what the Patriots are all about. Look at yesterday's game. Bills managed 2 good red zone possessions by moving it well between the 20s, both times they came back empty due to a missed FG and a turnover on downs. The Patriots don't care about the yards you gain between the 20s. They will play man coverage between the 20s and once you get inside the red zone, they play excellent zone D and force you to pass by playing extra guys in the box with zone coverage with good discipline vs the pass. 

To me, this is where Frank Reich and our OL should go 2 TEs and 2 RBs with 1 WR when we get to the red zone to keep the Patriots D guessing, IMO, that should really help us with lots of possibilities for them to decipher on the fly. If they decide to play nickel, pummel them. This is a game where we HAVE TO use our RBs in space vs their LBs or safeties, IMO.

The key for our TEs, come back to the ball and go and get it, do not wait for it to get to your hands because the Patriots DBs are excellent at breakups if you are a body catcher and not a hands catcher where you are aggressive at going and getting it. Look at the 2 catches Dawson Knox had in his hand but could not come up with breakups at the last moment, clearly illustrates that. Plus, boot legs with Wentz like Dak Prescott did will buy some time for key completions for our WRs like it did for the Cowboys, that will be another key component. 

9 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

We'll come out like a Bat out of hell.. then squander a lead. Hopefully we'll regain it before the end 

This game could come down to a Badgley FG for the Colts to win 23-20. :thmup:

Heck, given their red zone D and our red zone O, it could be a Badgley game, 22-20. :) 

This is a game I DO NOT WANT Frank to go for it aggressively on 4th downs (it is not like Tom Brady or Rodgers on the other side), take the FGs because those points will be precious as the game goes on and the Patriots D will make you pay for going for it more often.

Something Reich did on the last drive against Tampa was he used Pryor as a extra oline. Maybe they could help in the red zone and running Taylor. 

It will help if he uses Hines and Taylor together a lot.

Something Colin Cowherd mentioned on his show today NE doesn’t have a deep threat and can’t really go down field. You would think that should help the colts defense. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Something Reich did on the last drive against Tampa was he used Pryor as a extra oline. Maybe they could help in the red zone and running Taylor. 

It will help if he uses Hines and Taylor together a lot.

Something Colin Cowherd mentioned on his show today NE doesn’t have a deep threat and can’t really go down field. You would think that should help the colts defense. 

McDaniels is a master, like Frank is, in creating space with rub routes and generating YAC. Throw a 5-6 yard pass and get 10-15 yards in YAC. Heck, Philip Rivers was great at it with his quick release and quick hitters last year. Both of them are well versed in the EP (Erhardt Perkins) offensive formations. 

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Hilton, Doyle, and Hines need to have big games against NE.

It’s pretty clear that Belichick will plan to take both MPJ and possibly JT out of the game if possible. I would agree Hines needs to have a good game in both the outside run game and quick passing game. Another guy I would look to is Allie-Cox. He has been under utilized as of late and if Pittman Jr is taken away, gotta have a big body to go to. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I haven't seen much NE play, but traditionally they do not allow rushing yards in the RZ.  Again, they are generally a bigger and more physical defense, which does not bode well for running it on a shortened field.

Scoring TDs from outside the RZ would be preferable.  That's Pitt, JT, and possibly Hines.  And BB will limit Pitt and JTs big play potential and let Frank dink and dunk between the 20s.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I haven't seen much NE play, but traditionally they do not allow rushing yards in the RZ.  Again, they are generally a bigger and more physical defense, which does not bode well for running it on a shortened field.

Scoring TDs from outside the RZ would be preferable.  That's Pitt, JT, and possibly Hines.  And BB will limit Pitt and JTs big play potential and let Frank dink and dunk between the 20s.

Which brings me back to Reich using a extra oline man maybe once in the red zone.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Which brings me back to Reich using a extra oline man maybe once in the red zone.

I'd be all for coming out 1st series with MAC and Pinter as TEs, Doyle as the fullback, And speedy guys Pitt and Dulin on the outside. 

Go big and out-physical their LBs and DBs, in either the running or passing game. The I formation.   

Substitute Pinter with Hines then line up Hines in the BF with a split-back formation.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tightening in the red zone, that is what the Patriots are all about. Look at yesterday's game. Bills managed 2 good red zone possessions by moving it well between the 20s, both times they came back empty due to a missed FG and a turnover on downs. The Patriots don't care about the yards you gain between the 20s. They will play man coverage between the 20s and once you get inside the red zone, they play excellent zone D and force you to pass by playing extra guys in the box with zone coverage with good discipline vs the pass. 

To me, this is where Frank Reich and our OL should go 2 TEs and 2 RBs with 1 WR when we get to the red zone to keep the Patriots D guessing, IMO, that should really help us with lots of possibilities for them to decipher on the fly. If they decide to play nickel, pummel them. This is a game where we HAVE TO use our RBs in space vs their LBs or safeties, IMO.

The key for our TEs, come back to the ball and go and get it, do not wait for it to get to your hands because the Patriots DBs are excellent at breakups if you are a body catcher and not a hands catcher where you are aggressive at going and getting it. Look at the 2 catches Dawson Knox had in his hand but could not come up with breakups at the last moment, clearly illustrates that. Plus, boot legs with Wentz like Dak Prescott did will buy some time for key completions for our WRs like it did for the Cowboys, that will be another key component. 

Since they really don’t have a deep threat maybe we should play man between the 20’s as well.  Don’t give Jones the easier short stuff.  He’s a rookie. Make him make the tougher contested throws.  Make sure we cover the TE.  Go zone in the red zone.  I am not that concerned with their run game.  They are going to run it with the full back.  I think we should be able to stop that effectively.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Make sure we cover the TE.

NE has two good ones.  Typically, we can't cover even 1.

BB spent money to get two good TEs, no real deep threat, and was standing pat to draft an accurate QB that doesn't really throw the deep ball much.

See a plan here?

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Since they really don’t have a deep threat maybe we should play man between the 20’s as well.  Don’t give Jones the easier short stuff.  He’s a rookie. Make him make the tougher contested throws.  Make sure we cover the TE.  Go zone in the red zone.  I am not that concerned with their run game.  They are going to run it with the full back.  I think we should be able to stop that effectively.  

Yeah, they will be using their RBs in the flat more often against us, like with Fournette, will run off tackle more without a FB and I am not confident we cover their TEs effectively without playing some zone against their WRs too. This is where our lack of safety depth, with not enough good coverage safeties hurts us, otherwise we could play 3 safeties against them, good game for that. That is truly our area of weakness and if we compensate there, the RB will be left open in the flat for precious yards, and their RBs are good at getting yards after contact. They forced the Bills to come out of their nickel CB formations with a 6th OL and putting 3 LBs on the field to force them to stop the run (A J Klein was on Covid list leaving an inexperienced 3rd LB they went after with their FB). Nick Folk, their FG kicker, is their most valuable player on offense, IMO. :) 

The key again, will be our O, not giving short fields with turnovers, can't preach that enough, even more so against a defensively strong team like the Patriots, which amounts to making things easier for their rookie QB to put up points. They play 3 safeties a lot and their young stud safety Kyle Dugger was even inactive for the Bills game due to Covid, he most likely will be back. Can't panic in the 4th qtr. and start passing against this D, even if we are down a TD, it will play right into their hands. Their D operates based on a 60 minute squeeze. Titans were down 13-16 at the half, and boom, the second half, the flood gates opened for a 13-36 loss with defensive turnovers, and rub routes with YAC for the Patriots, 2 of which went for TDs. The TEs are big bodies used well for decoys on rub routes.

Just look at this game they played vs the Titans.

Take the FGs if you are in the red zone on 4th down and don't turn it over:

You see how close the Titans were to evening this game and breaking it open but failed to do so because they underestimated that pass defense on 3rd and 4th downs, plus did not take care of the ball. Like I said, Nick Folk is their MVP on offense. :)  Plus the yards after contact for their RBs against our undersized guys worries me too.

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

While not fast WRs, Bourne and Agholor can both work deep. If the Colts sit back, they will use the TEs and Myers. If they tighten up in man, they will throw over the top (and probably get a flag or two). 

It will be a great test for Flus. My guess is that NE is going to be efficient. It just matters what happens in RZ.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just look at this game they played vs the Titans.

Take the FGs if you are in the red zone on 4th down and don't turn it over:

You see how close the Titans were to evening this game and breaking it open but failed to do so because they underestimated that pass defense on 3rd and 4th downs, plus did not take care of the ball. Like I said, Nick Folk is their MVP on offense. :)  Plus the yards after contact for their RBs against our undersized guys worries me too.

This might be a good point that Reich really needs to understand. Take the points.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

While not fast WRs, Bourne and Agholor can both work deep. If the Colts sit back, they will use the TEs and Myers. If they tighten up in man, they will throw over the top (and probably get a flag or two). 

It will be a great test for Flus. My guess is that NE is going to be efficient. It just matters what happens in RZ.

If I had to choose the lesser of two evils I think I would tighten up in man and take my chances on them going over the top.  I think Rock and Rhodes can cover those two.  No sitting back for me.  Big game for Flus for sure.  

3 hours ago, #12. said:

You have been warned.

3 hours ago, NFLUp said:

They didn't focus on the passing game at all they knew tannehill wasn't throwing with all the wrs they had out

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'd be all for coming out 1st series with MAC and Pinter as TEs, Doyle as the fullback, And speedy guys Pitt and Dulin on the outside. 

Go big and out-physical their LBs and DBs, in either the running or passing game. The I formation.   

Substitute Pinter with Hines then line up Hines in the BF with a split-back formation.

The Colts offense rarely runs a full back.   I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up?

Call me crazy, but New England doesn’t scare me at all. I’d rather travel to NE instead of KC, Buffalo, Baltimore.

NE likes to run the ball, Colts will eat that up.
I love how the Colts match up on O.

I love how the Colts match up on D.

Colts win big.. 35-19 

Archived