Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead to the Pats (merge)

Stephen

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Without truly looking at remaining schedules, I think we root for the Bills tonight. If Patriots lose tonight and then against us it puts them in a tough spot. 

That's how i feel too.  I hope the bills beat them twice and we beat them on the 18th.

Over the last 6 weeks we have really used and established our "bully" run formations. Getting out receivers honed in on the physicality for what is needed. I think we are ready for NE with it.

In the same time Frank has put a wide range of Wentz's passes on tape to see where his holes remain. So this week working hard on his timing and accuracy is paramount. We just have to get more effectiveness from TY, Pascal, and Mo. The difference in going 7-10 as to 3-10 can be very significant.
 Can we tighten the screws a little bit in the passing game FLUS?
 NE will test our D's mental sharpness. Please AQM Quit giving up your edge so readily!

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Playoff standings as of now for the WildCard:

#5 = Bills 7-4

#6 = Chargers 7-5

#7 = Bengals 7-5

#8 = Colts 7-6 or is it the Steelers at 6-5-1? Steelers still play at the Chiefs and at Ravens thank God. We are basically tied for 8th. Broncos losing really helped, Chiefs came through there.

The 62% is pretty accurate, before I looked at your post, I was talking to a friend on the phone and he asked me what did I think our chances were of making the playoffs and I told him 60% lmao . I was close. By the way I do know the Chargers still play the Chiefs again as well haha . Chargers beat them earlier in the year, Mahomes won't let a sweep happen.

We are #9. Pitt has the better win % for now.

We'll be 8 if the Pats beat the Bills tonight.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We are #9. Pitt has the better win % for now.

We'll be 8 if the Pats beat the Bills tonight.

If the Pats win the Bills will be 7-5.  Won't they still be with the Chargers and Bengals with the Steelers and Colts just outside the playoffs?

40 minutes ago, gspdx said:

If the Pats win the Bills will be 7-5.  Won't they still be with the Chargers and Bengals with the Steelers and Colts just outside the playoffs?

Forgot they were a game behind us (total played.)

May have been assuming they lost next week vs TB.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Steelers still have games at the Chiefs and at Ravens. They will lose at least 7 games IMO. We need to go 10-7 at least and we will be fine. By the way I give you huge credit for saying Wentz was like Luck, he is right there with the way he been playing. I was wrong about Wentz, I am believer now. I think Wentz is no doubt a franchise QB. I would take him over Tannehill.

The only reason I knew about wentz is because I moved to the tristate area for college  . All my friends from here are eagles fans and I watched a ton of wentz .  One thing I noticed is frank is keeping wentz in the pocket this year when wentz usually is a rollout QB who loves throwing on the run . I think if frank uses wentz mobility more it will help the pass protection. 2017 Carson was elite because of him throwing on the run .

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

We all know BB is gonna do everything he can to take away Taylor and Reich is going to need a counter punch otherwise we're in for a long day. I hate to say this because it goes against everything I've said for this team to be successful, but Wentz is going to need to win this game and he's going to need to play a clean game. If BB wants to take away Taylor, then we need Wentz to put the game on his shoulders and come through.

As for the defense, at the end of the day Mac Jones is still a rookie. Rookies can get got. Hell BB did it twice to Herbert. Step one Colts need to stop their run game. If we let the pats dictate this game, it's over. Step two Colts need to disguise their coverage. This is not Brady we're playing. Mac Jones has not seen every coverage so we need to force him to make bad decisions. 

i was going to make this a topic closer to the game, but as one person said also i was going to add is that BB takes the best two players which for us would be JT and Pittman and he will have success taking these two out of the game. 

what we must do is have JT and Hines in the backfield together (give it to both of them) but this will slow them down with a focus on JT

also some 3 TE sets with the rookie te in motion going out wide---we also need to give some 4 receiver sets with JT in the backfield

anyhow my point is if we just "do what we do" bb will shut them down

6 minutes ago, ruf said:

i was going to make this a topic closer to the game, but as one person said also i was going to add is that BB takes the best two players which for us would be JT and Pittman and he will have success taking these two out of the game. 

what we must do is have JT and Hines in the backfield together (give it to both of them) but this will slow them down with a focus on JT

also some 3 TE sets with the rookie te in motion going out wide---we also need to give some 4 receiver sets with JT in the backfield

anyhow my point is if we just "do what we do" bb will shut them down

Couldn't agree more which is why Reich is going to need to figure out how to get other players involved other then just Taylor and Pitt

Frank will throw and throw some more in this game.    BB will sell out to stop JT.   We will not be balanced.  BB  will do the same.   They are going to be unbalanced and throw the ball against our defense.   The team that turns it over more will lose.   Hopefully that isn't us

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Frank will throw and throw some more in this game.    BB will sell out to stop JT.   We will not be balanced.  BB  will do the same.   They are going to be unbalanced and throw the ball against our defense.   The team that turns it over more will lose.   Hopefully that isn't us

Our weakness has been covering big TE's with zone I believe. It always seems like all Patriot skill positions are very good at downfield blocking. 

I want to see Pinter declare again in the red zone. 

Wentz is going have one of his best games of the year in order to win against Pats.  

Almost guaranteed thay BB will take JT away and make us beat them in some other way.

That doesn't necessarily mean Wentz throwing for 300+ yrd, 3TDs, etc.

He cannot miss throws (both in terms of being accurate and not missing opportunities to open guys downfield), has to see/process things quickly and walk the difficult line between making a play-playing smart football.  

On defense, need to focus on stopping run on early downs and creating some negative yardage plays. Getting to 3rd and longs perhaps gives an opportunity to disguise coverages or bring blitzes from different areas 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Couldn't agree more which is why Reich is going to need to figure out how to get other players involved other then just Taylor and Pitt

you know one thing bb did tonight against the bills was have an extra lineman. now what if we used Pinter (remember he did catch a td pass)

We didn’t learn much about the Pats tonight except that they are a physical team.

Reich will have to think outside the box on offense. More Taylor and Hines together where Hines actually gets the ball. 

As far as defense Jones  has only thrown a handful of passes over 20 yards this year. Just stop the run game and try and stop the short passing and screen game. We must be more physical then them. Force Jones into making longer passes.

The strength of this Patriots defense is their secondary. We cannot become overly reliant on passing the ball. We'd be playing right into their hands. We should be able to keep it 3rd and short if we pound the football. It takes away their exotic looks. Offensively, their physical but limited. No need to stack the box and leave our secondary exposed. I don't see our defense having much trouble outside of short field because of a turnover. Colts should be able to win this game comfortably.

Im not really worried about us offensively. We put up 24 to 31 points on just about any opponent outside of the first couple games when everybody was getting in sync. I dont think BB is going to kill that off. Weve played some solid defensive teams this year. Havent seen anyone shut us down in a major way

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

How about that balance from the Pats last night.   Mac Jones threw the ball 3 times

Knew that was coming lol. And every outlet in the world is calling BB a mad genius for it too.

52 minutes ago, runthepost said:

With winds at 50mph plus that’s still the right amount

It was winds 20-25 with some gusts of 50 though. Allen threw alot

You run the ball when it makes sense.  You pass the ball when it makes sense.  Preaching an ideology does not make sense in football.

BTW, running teams, like NE and BALT, have an actual fullback on their rosters.  Maybe Doyle can serve as a lead blocker, but using a TE instead of devoting a roster spot to a true FB tells you how the GMs think about the running game and wanting to power through a stacked box.

3 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Knew that was coming lol. And every outlet in the world is calling BB a mad genius for it too.

It was winds 20-25 with some gusts of 50 though. Allen threw alot

NE scored 14 points with that genius game plan.  It did not work very well, but it doesn't have to work very well. it just has to work well enough.  The game plan worked well enough because BUFF is not built to play well in those conditions.

Our 41-15 victory and NEs 14-10 victory speaks a lot to BUFFs weaknesses.

Bill is absolutely gonna dupe frank into throwing it 50 times. Last night looked like a practice session for how they’re going to play us. 

And what an awful game that was to try and watch. Gusty, ripping crosswinds on the field eliminated any kind of reliable passing game, and Buffalo may have the worst RB situation in the whole league. I lasted until the early 3rd quarter before the urge to go watch paint dry instead just got to be too much. 

No matter what happens against the Pats I’ll at least take solace in the fact that it won’t be a game that awful. 

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Bill is absolutely gonna dupe frank into throwing it 50 times. Last night looked like a practice session for how they’re going to play us. 

And what an awful game that was to try and watch. Gusty, ripping crosswinds on the field eliminated any kind of reliable passing game, and Buffalo may have the worst RB situation in the whole league. I lasted until the early 3rd quarter before the urge to go watch paint dry instead just got to be too much. 

No matter what happens against the Pats I’ll at least take solace in the fact that it won’t be a game that awful. 

49 runs and 3 passes and BB is a God because they won lmao . I think they will throw more against us, hard to think they wouldn't. I think we will beat them. I look at their roster and we have the better QB and better primary RB. Their D is better but we have a knack of creating turnovers. Only way we lose this game is if we have 2 or more turnovers- playing dumb.

BB and the NE defense has traditionally chosen size over speed.  Bulk and physicality over finesse. Doyle and MAC will need to be prepared to power up if the running game is going to succeed.  Are they good enough? 

BUFF successfully threw against NE, but had no answer for NEs RZ pass rush.  Frank should throw it 51 times, may be smart enough to throw 27 consecutive passes, more than several to JT and Hines to get them the ball in space to go around NEs bulk.  Might get some chunky TDs from outside the RZ.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

49 runs and 3 passes and BB is a God because they won lmao . I think they will throw more against us, hard to think they wouldn't. I think we will beat them. I look at their roster and we have the better QB and better primary RB. Their D is better but we have a knack of creating turnovers. Only way we lose this game is if we have 2 or more turnovers- playing dumb.

Oh I absolutely expect them to pass more. The only reason they didn’t last night is because of the wind. When the goal posts are swinging in the breeze it doesn’t take a genius to figure out you probably shouldn’t try to throw the ball. The only reason Allen threw as much as he did is because the Bills running game is just rotten. 

I’m expecting them to focus more on the RBs and the TEs in their passing game more than the receivers. We struggle to cover TEs and if we try to commit to stopping Henry I expect them to go with a heavy dose of Harris or Stevenson out of the backfield. 

42 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Oh I absolutely expect them to pass more. The only reason they didn’t last night is because of the wind. When the goal posts are swinging in the breeze it doesn’t take a genius to figure out you probably shouldn’t try to throw the ball. The only reason Allen threw as much as he did is because the Bills running game is just rotten. 

I’m expecting them to focus more on the RBs and the TEs in their passing game more than the receivers. We struggle to cover TEs and if we try to commit to stopping Henry I expect them to go with a heavy dose of Harris or Stevenson out of the backfield. 

We need to annihilate the Patriots don't want this to be close

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

We need to annihilate the Patriots don't want this to be close

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Just get a win. I don’t care if it’s only by one point.

Most likely will be one of those 17-14 games where the team with the ball last is going to lose.

Archived