Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pressure by the DE's

Four2itus

I refuse to believe that none of the guys know how to put pressure on the QB (even though it looks like that most of the time).

So is it poor coaching, poor scheme, etc.?

How many times have we faced teams with backup O linemen, expecting our guys to feast, yet we make them all look like Joe Thomas in his prime?

Some games, they are so close. A split second longer and it’s a sack. Makes me wonder if they will improve as the year goes on. It is possible given that it takes time for DEs to develop. Maybe, just maybe, the rush will surface.

Banagu and Turay were having great camps and now, they haven’t done anything. Will they become a force? Is it technique, experience or talent? Will Dayo make a difference? Who knows, but I do know this: it’s way to early to give up. 

33 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Some games, they are so close. A split second longer and it’s a sack. Makes me wonder if they will improve as the year goes on. It is possible given that it takes time for DEs to develop. Maybe, just maybe, the rush will surface.

Banagu and Turay were having great camps and now, they haven’t done anything. Will they become a force? Is it technique, experience or talent? Will Dayo make a difference? Who knows, but I do know this: it’s way to early to give up. 

Watch how they are trying to bring down the QB. To me it looks like they are trying to swipe the ball out too much instead tackling the QB correctly.

56 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Ben and Turay were great in camp because they were going against our OL. I was hoping they had turned up their game but it was just our OL was so bad

27 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Kwity grades out well but isn’t getting sacks.  He’s doing something.  If he can start accumulating sacks he’ll be considered excellent.

The sacks will come.  He’s a rookie and has played a handful of games.  He’s off to a great start.  Currently the No.1 graded DL.  No complaining from me.  

44 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Kwity grades out well but isn’t getting sacks.  He’s doing something.  If he can start accumulating sacks he’ll be considered excellent.

Sacks aren't the important metric; pressures are what win games.  If you can't move a QB off his spot in the NFL you're gonna get picked apart.  Even the bad QBs at this level can do that to you.

Paye is off to a nice start, I have no real concerns about him.  He should get better as the season goes on too.  Just need guys to step up.

Also I know it's an obvious thing to say but this Titans game is a big one.  If they lose they can still get back to .500 by winning the two easier games that follow.  But if they win they're at .500 and can actually get up two more games with those easy matchups.  If everything goes well they could be 6-4 going into that Buffalo game which was almost unthinkable a few weeks ago.

I realize it's unlikely this team beats the Titans but I am hopeful that's how things go down.

16 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Sacks aren't the important metric; pressures are what win games.  If you can't move a QB off his spot in the NFL you're gonna get picked apart.  Even the bad QBs at this level can do that to you.

Paye is off to a nice start, I have no real concerns about him.  He should get better as the season goes on too.  Just need guys to step up.

Also I know it's an obvious thing to say but this Titans game is a big one.  If they lose they can still get back to .500 by winning the two easier games that follow.  But if they win they're at .500 and can actually get up two more games with those easy matchups.  If everything goes well they could be 6-4 going into that Buffalo game which was almost unthinkable a few weeks ago.

I realize it's unlikely this team beats the Titans but I am hopeful that's how things go down.

Even being able to get them to move off their spot is a challenge today with what quarterbacks can do with their mobility today.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Even being able to get them to move off their spot is a challenge today with what quarterbacks can do with their mobility today.

True.  But even with the mobile ones getting them to move that first time due to a rusher's influence tilts the play in the defense's favor.  From there your chances of either an incompletion or maybe even a mistake leading to a turnover is higher.

44 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There has been a lot of people saying Titans have the best dline in the league.

They were bottom 5 last year. So their turnaround is really impressive.

I would not say they are the best though. I say easily the most improved.

And search twitter for Autry. He's trending big time with Titans fans. A few below, but there are a ton.

And I know a lot of folks might think it was just against KC.... It wasn't. Aside from knocking Mahomes (on top of pestering him all game) out of the game last week, he hit Allen the week before (1st tweet below) causing an INT giving TN an immediate RZ possession. TN was down at that point, and gave them a go-ahead score.... 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I miss Autry so much. We would of been so much better off with him as the starter and let Paye come off the bench while he is learning. I fully expect Ballard to say he made a mistake with the dline at the end of the season if it doesn’t turn around. We needed a vet.

I don't think having Autry would mean Paye coming off the bench. Autry would be playing opposite at LDE, and sliding over on late downs. 

Not sure if he'd have the year here, like he's having in TN due to scheme. We're mostly vanilla with our 4 man rush. TN uses his similar (as DE and 3T), but they are not near as vanilla. They'll move Landry (OLB/Edge) around to both sides, so he might be opposite Autry one play, and on another, next to Autry who has shifted in. But we could be less vanilla. 

Regardless, if he was here, it would likely be 

Early downs

Autry - Defo/Grover - Paye

Late downs

AQM or Lewis - Autry/Defo - Paye or Turay

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think having Autry would mean Paye coming off the bench. Autry would be playing opposite at LDE, and sliding over on late downs. 

Not sure if he'd have the year here, like he's having in TN due to scheme. We're mostly vanilla with our 4 man rush. TN uses his similar (as DE and 3T), but they are not near as vanilla. They'll move Landry (OLB/Edge) around to both sides, so he might be opposite Autry one play, and on another, next to Autry who has shifted in. But we could be less vanilla. 

Regardless, if he was here, it would likely be 

Early downs

Autry - Defo/Grover - Paye

Late downs

AQM or Lewis - Autry/Defo - Paye or Turay

Well maybe AQM would be coming in to relieve Autry. That’s still a better rotation. Although AQM does have 3 sacks. He is on track for a career year.  No matter if Autry would of come off the bench or not it would of made the dline better.  We needed a vet. There was too much betting on the young guys to do something they had never done. I still don’t know why we even kept Banogu. He isn’t even getting any snaps. At least with the bad pass rush give him a chance. Not like it can be any worse.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well maybe AQM would be coming in to relieve Autry. That’s still a better rotation. Although AQM does have 3 sacks. He is on track for a career year.  No matter if Autry would of come off the bench or not it would of made the dline better.  We needed a vet. There was too much betting on the young guys to do something they had never done. I still don’t know why we even kept Banogu. He isn’t even getting any snaps. At least with the bad pass rush give him a chance. Not like it can be any worse.

Autry would definitely be a starter, and get top 2 reps. 

Keep in mind he was also used at times to give Defo a break. 

His tweener value was underestimated.

Lewis is the closest thing we have to a tweener, but our rotation at times really hasn't been what I believe it could be. 

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The sacks will come.  He’s a rookie and has played a handful of games.  He’s off to a great start.  Currently the No.1 graded DL.  No complaining from me.  

Our pass rush has been tempered by the need to contain some very mobile QB's. Guys that can also get the ball out quick. We are not a man team that is creating coverage sacks. That is for sure.
  We are being picked apart. But we Are near the top in the League creating turnovers playing EB's D. We KNEW creating turnovers was a must part of EB's plan. 
 Sacks tend to come in bunches when a player has favorable matchups and the rushing Unit creates havoc together. Lesser opponents should give us opportunity to raise our league averages.
 And nonsense on missing Autry. He got a number of team created sacks here, as he wasn't beyond average at beating his own man and creating a lot of pressure. Yes his run D was very solid. So is Lewis's.
 Lewis is coming along nicely now that he is healthy and getting a lot of snaps, and AQM is OK even though he is getting burned badly on mis-direction plays as he is chasing (think Mathis) down the line.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Our pass rush has been tempered by the need to contain some very mobile QB's. Guys that can also get the ball out quick. We are not a man team that is creating coverage sacks. That is for sure.
  We are being picked apart. But we Are near the top in the League creating turnovers playing EB's D. We KNEW creating turnovers was a must part of EB's plan. 
 Sacks tend to come in bunches when a player has favorable matchups and the rushing Unit creates havoc together. Lesser opponents should give us opportunity to raise our league averages.
 And nonsense on missing Autry. He got a number of team created sacks here, as he wasn't beyond average at beating his own man and creating a lot of pressure. Yes his run D was very solid. So is Lewis's.
 Lewis is coming along nicely now that he is healthy and getting a lot of snaps, and AQM is OK even though he is getting burned badly on mis-direction plays as he is chasing (think Mathis) down the line.

Thank you! And the bolded happens because of playing time and having the pressure on his shoulders. If a lot of fans got what they wanted, it would always be about the now, and screw the development for the future. 

On 10/27/2021 at 5:54 PM, Boondoggle said:

Rather have sacks than pressures alot of qbs may still complete pass if pressured but if sacked the play is over

Archived