Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts falling behind?

bluephantom87

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This actually boils down to two simple things. How good will Wentz be and If Kwity Paye pans out. If Paye can have a monster rookie season and we get pressure on the QB a lot and Wentz plays just as good as Rivers did we will be fine. Good QB play and getting pressure on the opposing QB are my main 2 keys to winning. 

54 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

It’s May.. can everybody take a breath and calm down.

The Colts have had a GREAT off season so far. And it’s May. Lots of time.

It’s the Colts division. Book it!

“The Colts have had a GREAT off-season so far.”    ????

What did I miss?   I know I’m older than most here, but I don’t think I’ve been sleeping the last four months.

Please tell us....   what do you think is do great?  

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Tampa Bay is a great example of building through the draft, look at their recent draft history they have done very well aside from Brady most of their key contributors are drafted and developed.

Edit: Sorry I misread your post 

You are correct and that's my point. If you're going to build through the draft then you need to be hitting on playmakers at the skill positions and Tampa is loaded. Let's not forget they also aquired some key players via FA to round out that very talented Tampa team.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What did I miss?   I know I’m older than most here, but I don’t think I’ve been sleeping the last four months.

What is funny is I am one of the most optimistic posters on here and I graded our draft a C+. Now a C+ isn't bad but is far from great. I factored in Wentz basically being a 3rd round pick in doing so. I loved the Paye pick and I fully believe we will sign at least an average LOT shortly. I like Leno a lot and can live with that, playing beside Nelson he will do ok. If that happens we will be fine but Wentz has to be at least on the good level, not asking for great but at least good QB play is needed. I thought last season Rivers was good and it helped get us in the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Overall, I like the draft.  Getting Paye at 21 was unexpected by all.  I like the second round pick as well.   Huge long armed player

We will see how Wentz performs.   You start with a "solid" team before you can go anywhere else.   You act like that is a negative.  

To be honest...after watching some videos I am more excited about Dayo if healthy than Kwity. Dayo just plays with violence man. He snatches people when he tackles in the backfield.  He brings a bully type of attitude which I like. I think a little infusion of that goes a long way towards getting this defense to play with an edge.  The swag he brings with him is palpable.  I can see why Ballard wanted to add him to the defensive front. 

https://youtu.be/sNGZ1_HJ1XA

Apologies in advance, but I feel a rant coming on.... 

I like to think of myself as a realist and a bit of an optimist.   I think that’s healthy if you’re going to be a fan of a team in the long term.

But I think anyone sayin we’ve had a great off season is trying to put lipstick on a pig.  

We made what I think is a smart savvy trade for Wentz.   I have no objections to our first two draft picks — none.  

But CB mostly sat out Free Agency even though we had money and even after saying our locker room is strong enough to handle talented players with “unique” personalities.   

But when we didn’t have a third round pick and then — in my view — reached a full round on our 4th and 5th round players,  that took a lot of the wind out of the sails for me.  I can think of a WR or a CB that would’ve looked good with our 4th round pick and then take our TE and Safety one round later skipping the QB.   And I’m on record as saying I don’t understand taking yet another QB in the draft back to back years for numerous reasons. 

So free agency has come and gone and now the draft has come and gone and we haven’t fixed LT despite a lot of talk saying we will.  And our roster seems to have more holes than one might expect at this point of the off-season.   I find this all incredibly frustrating.  And I take a backseat to no one here in my admiration of Ballard, Reich and their staff and coaches.   

Yet I strongly disagree with those proclaiming people are making too much of our LT situation.   Count me as one who does not agree that we can plug an average LT on our line and we’d be just fine.   If only football was that easy.  

This is the strangest off-season we’ve had since Ballard arrived.   And, depending on what he does in the next 4 months, the Colts 2021 season may still turn out well.  That could still happen.  But this journey has been one surprise after another.  I just hope there’s a Happy Ending somewhere for this team and its fans. 

Sorry for the long rant.   It’s been four months in the making.....

13 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Rivers, Houston and Autry didn’t get it done.  We have replaced them with younger players with more upside. Time for our staff to get to work. 

Would have gotten it done if we had a coach that didn’t choke in big games.. (bills game)

56 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Would have gotten it done if we had a coach that didn’t choke in big games.. (bills game)

The biggest addition the Colts made last season was the addition of Buckner who had a career high pass-rushing grade and was the only Colt on defense with a pass-rushing grade of 70.0 or higher per PFF.  So it's no surprise the Colts added defensive weapons early.  Houston played decent while here especially after moving from OLB to a true DE.  Hopefully adding Paye and Dayo our pass-rushing will greatly improve.  Even so the Colts still had a better defensive line than the rest in our own division in regards to pass-rushing last season and nobody really improved better than the Colts this off-season imho.  Even with subpar QB play our DL should help keep us in postseason contention just like the Bears.  Bills are no slouch on defensive especially on their DL and one player whom I wish the Colts kept long ago was Jerry Hughes.  The Bills are very good at getting to the QB, quickly i might add. 

Are the Colts a complete team?  NO, but its slowly coming together on both sides of the ball.  Have we done enough this off-season to make us next year's Super Bowl Champs?  Probably not but "Any Given Sunday" never know.  We have proven to beat the likes of a very good Chiefs team one week and lose a gimme game the next.  The Coach can coach but it's ultimately the players who play the game.  Easy to look back and second guess draft picks, player movements and games decisions.  Not everyone is going to be satisfied with managements decisions that have no actual bearing on your own personal life unless I guess your personally financially wagering on said games.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like to think of myself as a realist and a bit of an optimist.   I think that’s healthy if you’re going to be a fan of a team in the long term.

But I think anyone sayin we’ve had a great off season is trying to put lipstick on a pig.  

We made what I think is a smart savvy trade for Wentz.   I have no objections to our first two draft picks — none.  

But CB mostly sat out Free Agency even though we had money and even after saying our locker room is strong enough to handle talented players with “unique” personalities.   

But when we didn’t have a third round pick and then — in my view — reached a full round on our 4th and 5th round players,  that took a lot of the wind out of the sails for me.  I can think of a WR or a CB that would’ve looked good with our 4th round pick and then take our TE and Safety one round later skipping the QB.   And I’m on record as saying I don’t understand taking yet another QB in the draft back to back years for numerous reasons. 

So free agency has come and gone and now the draft has come and gone and we haven’t fixed LT despite a lot of talk saying we will.  And our roster seems to have more holes than one might expect at this point of the off-season.   I find this all incredibly frustrating.  And I take a backseat to no one here in my admiration of Ballard, Reich and their staff and coaches.   

Yet I strongly disagree with those proclaiming people are making too much of our LT situation.   Count me as one who does not agree that we can plug an average LT on our line and we’d be just fine.   If only football was that easy.  

This is the strangest off-season we’ve had since Ballard arrived.   And, depending on what he does in the next 4 months, the Colts 2021 season may still turn out well.  That could still happen.  But this journey has been one surprise after another.  I just hope there’s a Happy Ending somewhere for this team and its fans. 

I agree with you 100 percent on this one! :thmup:

You could say after the 2nd round we were unlucky with how things fell.

i think we’ll have some comps picks next year so more draft stock next year! 

I think given a decent preseason we could be an interesting team to face going forward!

LT - of course it’s going to be a challenge but if anyone can do it we can! 

The Colts are going to surprise people this year! 

Go Colts

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The goal is to win the division first.  The Colts now play in a division with three good QBs (assuming Watson stays in Houston) and the best running back in football.  Being able to control the line of scrimmage on defense is going to be huge for the Colts vs these teams.  Ballard took guys who if they pan out should give the Colts the best d-line in the division to go with the best o-line in the division.  You will win a lot of games in the NFL with that.  

I agree with dline oline  is a no titans  have best oline  until we get castanzo's replacement 

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The goal is to win the division first.  The Colts now play in a division with three good QBs (assuming Watson stays in Houston) and the best running back in football.  Being able to control the line of scrimmage on defense is going to be huge for the Colts vs these teams.  Ballard took guys who if they pan out should give the Colts the best d-line in the division to go with the best o-line in the division.  You will win a lot of games in the NFL with that.  

I agree with dline oline  is a no titans  have best oline  until we get castanzo's replacement 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I factored in Wentz basically being a 3rd round pick in doing so.

Why would you do that?  We gave up two picks for Wentz:  a 2021 3rd and a 2022 2nd/1st (with the odds favoring a 1st).

Given the circumstances, I think it should turn out to be a good trade for us.  But that’s a different discussion, and awaiting the results of his play.

However he plays, he wasn’t “basically...a 3rd round pick.”  Not unless the Eagles give us our 2022 pick back, anyway.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They traded for a franchise QB.

They have the deepest talent at RB.

Drafted an Edge most had as the best in the draft.

Have a few holes to fill and it’s only May, lots of time left.

People seriously don’t understand how good Wentz is going to be.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

young man i cant believe you made a post that i agree with, but this is a very good realistic post, i too like some of the moves ballard has made but to go for it more should have been done in my opinion

There’s lots of time to add a LT, maybe get another CB and WR.. the toughest thing to do is get a tier 1 high level game changing QB, and Ballard did that at a bargain price.

The off season comes down to Wentz.

We’ll be fine!

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Let's stop talking past each other, then. Because I am NOT a blind follower of anyone. And I didn't say you said the team was falling apart, but that's the general tone of a 'are we falling behind' thread, and that's the general tone of your OP.

So what are you actually saying? What's the problem you're so concerned with on May 3? 

So do you think we kept pace in the division or do you think not?  Pretty simple question really.  If you you think not, then we've fallen behind.  See?  Simple.  If you think we have kept pace or gotten better, then great, but to attack the premise of the post is childishness wrapped in logic.

I think the OP has legitimate concerns which I share.  Whether or not this draft will be any good or not, I have no idea.  

5 hours ago, OhioColt said:

The biggest addition the Colts made last season was the addition of Buckner who had a career high pass-rushing grade and was the only Colt on defense with a pass-rushing grade of 70.0 or higher per PFF.  So it's no surprise the Colts added defensive weapons early.  Houston played decent while here especially after moving from OLB to a true DE.  Hopefully adding Paye and Dayo our pass-rushing will greatly improve.  Even so the Colts still had a better defensive line than the rest in our own division in regards to pass-rushing last season and nobody really improved better than the Colts this off-season imho.  Even with subpar QB play our DL should help keep us in postseason contention just like the Bears.  Bills are no slouch on defensive especially on their DL and one player whom I wish the Colts kept long ago was Jerry Hughes.  The Bills are very good at getting to the QB, quickly i might add. 

Are the Colts a complete team?  NO, but its slowly coming together on both sides of the ball.  Have we done enough this off-season to make us next year's Super Bowl Champs?  Probably not but "Any Given Sunday" never know.  We have proven to beat the likes of a very good Chiefs team one week and lose a gimme game the next.  The Coach can coach but it's ultimately the players who play the game.  Easy to look back and second guess draft picks, player movements and games decisions.  Not everyone is going to be satisfied with managements decisions that have no actual bearing on your own personal life unless I guess your personally financially wagering on said games.

TEN has Landry, Simmons, Dupree and Autry. I would say they appear to have improved more than the Colts on the DL. 

22 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Now that the dust has settled on the 2021 draft do you think the Colts have closed the gap in the AFC among the title contenders? I ask this question because Ballard chooses to build mostly through the draft so his margin for error is slim and his success rate for those picks need to be higher at this point (year 5) to leapfrog some of the elite in the AFC to reach a SB.

By most accounts for the upcoming 2021 season through FA and the draft teams like the Chiefs, Bills, Steelers, Ravens and Titans have been aggressive and have gotten even better on paper by adding some playmakers at the SKILL positions and by addressing set needs. While young ultra talented teams like the Browns and Dolphins are closing fast.

I personally did not like the Colts draft this year and many sites thought they did a lot of reaching, had some head scratchers and didn't address their biggest need at LT in a very deep and talented field. Is Ballard starting to show that he's "overrated" with the hype or is he simply a guy who can put together a SOLID team at best and give good sound bites? I'm starting to feel the latter.

Seems like Ballard is using the Polian blueprint (build through the draft with limited FA use) which led Polian all the way to Canton. Over the years Polian drafted either special or HOF players at the SKILL position spots. With those type of players on a solid or above average team it usually gets you to the big dance or close to it. Polian did it with Buffalo, got an expansion team (Carolina) one game away from a SB, won 2 Grey Cups with 2 different teams in the Canadian league and built the one of the winningest teams of the decade in Indy.

As his tenure in Indy ended Polian's last few drafts started becoming what many would classify as reaches (injured players/low talent) and his I know more than you attitude started hurting the team. All came full circle once Peyton got hurt and you saw on FULL display how far the talent level had dropped. Ballard has had NONE of Bill's prior success as a gm because this is his first run yet I feel he's already drinking his own Kool-aid. Yes he has put together a "solid" team but the Colts are not elite and the gap is widening in the AFC. I guess in another 6 yrs we'll be ready at this pace BUT the rest of the NFL will not sit pat and wait.

In no way shape or form. Weve got everything we need outside of a LT which we should have a decent short term solution for that soon. Youre going chicken little mods way too early.

1 hour ago, TheNextGM said:

There’s lots of time to add a LT, maybe get another CB and WR.. the toughest thing to do is get a tier 1 high level game changing QB, and Ballard did that at a bargain price.

The off season comes down to Wentz.

We’ll be fine!

All we really need is a decent short term solution at tackle. Weve got all the rest of the OL parts including good depth. The CB and WR rooms are currently full. Maybe we could stand another LB prospect at the most to me.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

So do you think we kept pace in the division or do you think not?  Pretty simple question really.  If you you think not, then we've fallen behind.  See?  Simple.  If you think we have kept pace or gotten better, then great, but to attack the premise of the post is childishness wrapped in logic.

I think the OP has legitimate concerns which I share.  Whether or not this draft will be any good or not, I have no idea.  

If Wentz can play, yes, the Colts can be just as good as the Titans.

What are these legitimate concerns?

To the bolded, nonsense. If I logically disagree with the premise of the post, there's nothing childish about voicing that disagreement. 

We haven't fallen behind anyone. People think we haven't passed the steelers??? HaHa, Their offensive line sucked last year and they've lost 3 starters(Pouncey, Villanueava, and Feiler). And yet people think our line is in shambles? Where is the logic? The pessimism on this forum is astounding, nothing short of pathetic. Thank you for letting me rant! I saw on bspn this morning they had a discussion topic of "which quarterback will be the best in the afc east in 5 years?" What a joke, the real topic for discussion should have been "which of the 4 qb's in the afc east will be out of football in 5 years?" I'll say Tua, Jones, and Wilson! Thank you for letting me rant again!

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If Wentz can play, yes, the Colts can be just as good as the Titans.

What are these legitimate concerns?

To the bolded, nonsense. If I logically disagree with the premise of the post, there's nothing childish about voicing that disagreement. 

There is when you are attacking the premise as if you are attacking the logic from the premise.

You disagree that the idea that this draft class and Wentz signing might put us behind other teams is anything but an absurd idea.  I personally think that's childish.

So you don't entertain the possibility that this off season could have put us back?

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

All we really need is a decent short term solution at tackle. Weve got all the rest of the OL parts including good depth. The CB and WR rooms are currently full. Maybe we could stand another LB prospect at the most to me.

The CB and WR rooms might be "full" but that doesn't mean there is anyone all that good in them.

Everyone seems to be so scared of Lawrence on the jags. Something just seems off with Lawrence. I watch him in interviews and something isn’t right. He doesn’t seem to have the ir factor. He never faced adversity in college. He doesn’t seem to have that hunger to succeed. I watch Wilson and Lance in interviews and they just have it. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I feel like part of this is directed to my viewpoint.

1) I never called the Colts offseason great. But it wasn't a disaster.

2) The Colts had cap space, and still do, but it's allocated to re-signing Leonard, Smith, and maybe Nelson. They could have spent more money this offseason, but that would have been a significant departure from their cap management strategy, and that strategy is the reason the Colts will always have cap space to re-sign their best players (like Leonard, Smith, and Nelson). It was pretty obvious they weren't going to go on a spending spree, especially after they traded for Wentz. Anyone who got their hopes up and was disappointed, that's due to improper expectations.

3) Let's be clear about LT. We'd all much rather have a rock solid player, as opposed to what we have now. But there's two things about it. First, and the easiest point to make, there is still the possibility of adding a free agent that can play LT. We'll see if that happens.

Second, any comment about plugging in an average LT -- on our line, specifically -- is made in response to the idea that if the Colts don't do something else at LT, it's going to be disastrous. That viewpoint is a complete overreaction. Our line, TEs, RBs, coaching, and mobile QB are good enough to make up for average LT play, if necessary. And if Wentz can't move around a little bit, then we aren't as good as we need to be anyway. This is not a difficult or advanced concept. If you're trying to make up for two or three deficient players on the OL, you're probably gonna fail. To help a LT on passing downs doesn't require a doctorate.

4) I find it really ironic to hear people complain about the use of Day 3 picks, particularly in the context of what position they wish had been addressed instead. If you're expecting a Day 3 pick to address a specific need for this coming season, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially LT.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

There is when you are attacking the premise as if you are attacking the logic from the premise.

You disagree that the idea that this draft class and Wentz signing might put us behind other teams is anything but an absurd idea.  I personally think that's childish.

So you don't entertain the possibility that this off season could have put us back?

This is doubled down nonsense.

If none of our moves this offseason work, yes, this offseason might have set the team back. If all of the moves this offseason work, then no, this offseason probably didn't set the team back.

The premise that the Colts are falling behind is necessarily predicated on the idea that most of our offseason moves won't work out well. And, in context, this thread is a complaint that we didn't draft a LT.

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The CB and WR rooms might be "full" but that doesn't mean there is anyone all that good in them.

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yet those same players we made it to the playoffs with and damn near won.  Now that there are additions on both sides we should be more than okay. Especially with the additions we made on the DL. That will help the secondary.  I think you spend too much time trying to trash Blackmon when you know damn well he was a rookie. I expect Tell to take the next step and weve got Rhodes and Carrie back along with Kenny Moore. Roberts is solid depth behind Moore. Then Ballard just improved the depth behind Willis and Blackmon with both Sean/Shawn Davis and of course Odum.   Wr room is more than serviceable and should benefit from the improved run game and running QB.

11 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

What’s your thoughts on this situation?

I think that for Rodgers to want him gone, something very surreptitious must have occurred that he found out about and feels betrayed.  That's a total guess but something major happened.

The premise of this thread is "Are the Colts falling behind?"

If we step back and look at what has happened in our division over the last 10 years, you will see that the Colts have been competitive in the AFC South, but not dominant. The Jaguars have won the division 1 time, Titans just recently in 2020, and the Texans 6 times, while the Colts have won the division 2 times, (none under Ballard). Of course, there are circumstances that have contributed to this (Luck's retirement, subsequently leading to a year with Jacoby at QB and then Rivers). But, we have performed below our own expectations.

image.png.029a0fa3553748e63cfac72e068b5af6.png

Looking forward:

Texans - You would expect the Texans lack of talent and the Watson situation to lead to future struggles for the team. 

Jaguars - Expect the Jaguars to get better with a new QB and influx of talent. They give the Colts trouble even when they are the worst team in the league.

Titans - Reigning AFC South champs and a team that continues to get better. 

The question is: Did we do enough through FA and the draft to improve our positioning within the AFC South?

FA:

- Adding Wentz was a big move. I think he will be really good in this offense, especially behind our O-line and with our run game. He will open up our deep passing attack once again.

- The retirement of Castonzo has left a glaring hole, and to date, not much has been done to address this, but there is still time.

- Houston leaving in FA has also left a hole. I think this is a drop off for us, even when considering the replacements on our roster. We are weaker at this position for the time being, until our players regain their health or the rookies adjust to the NFL, which is no guarantee.

Draft: 

- We drafted Paye, which will help bolster the DE position, but we should not expect immediate results. There will be a drop off between what Houston gave us last year and what we can reasonably expect Paye to deliver his rookie year.

- Dayo will have limited impact this year due to his injury. This does not help us gain ground with our AFCS counterparts this year, but it should pay dividends in future years, given that Dayo regains his health.

- Sam Ellinger - IMO we either wasted our last year's 4th round pick or we wasted this year's 4th round pick. Either Eason or Ellinger will be on the PS or both on the roster but holding clip boards. This does not do much to gain ground. Of course, we need a good back-up. I understand that, but one of them will be the backup. The other will be 3rd string QB, thus we either wasted last year's 4th or this year's 4th.

The rest of the draft are special teamers or project players.

Archived