Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts falling behind?

bluephantom87

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fans speak of the draft and free agency as something that should be transformative and are disappointed when they’re not.  The teams that have transformative offseasons as judged by the prognosticators are usually back in the same position the following year looking for answers.  
Our offseason was not earth shattering, but I do think it was ‘constructive’.  Keeping most of the key pieces together with another year of experience in the same system, while potentially upgrading the QB position is huge.  I’m moderately concerned with the LT situation, but I think it’s far from a ‘make or break’ situation, considering the ability of the other 4 guys on the line.  Any weaknesses will also be covered up by having an excellent running game with one of the best backs in the league (whose skill set, by the way, was questioned by our forum ‘experts’ throughout most of last season).

I said it in the other thread; we're essentially treading water. Replace the QB, having to replace left tackle, replace experienced guys on the DLine with more youth and potential, basically stand pat at receiver and corner.

There's slightly more potential at the QB position now because of Wentz' athletic profile and the DLine now could improve but it is still a case where we're simply replacing outgoings and not seeming like we're getting tangibly better. 

You would think Ballard will actually go for it and spend a little next year or the one after that because the one criticism I'll say about him is; he can't keep saying we're not in our "window" every year. That will get old quick at some point. But I still get the reticence and conservatism this offseason. I think there's still some logic behind it. 

I agree with most of your above response, but to this point:

39 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

- Sam Ellinger - IMO we either wasted our last year's 4th round pick or we wasted this year's 4th round pick. Either Eason or Ellinger will be on the PS or both on the roster but holding clip boards. This does not do much to gain ground. Of course, we need a good back-up. I understand that, but one of them will be the backup. The other will be 3rd string QB, thus we either wasted last year's 4th or this year's 4th.

Ehlinger was a 6th round pick.

I initially thought the same thing that we wasted one of the picks, but I can see some logic in it. Not only does it provide someone to challenge Eason for the backup spot, but it also gives us a scout team QB with mobility that will help our defense prepare for the numerous mobile QB's we'll see, specifically within our own division. Eason can't provide that. Ehlinger may never scratch QB2 for us, but that isn't the only role where he can help improve our team.

I hated the pick initially, but I get it now.

4 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I said it in the other thread; we're essentially treading water. Replace the QB, having to replace left tackle, replace experienced guys on the DLine with more youth and potential, basically stand pat at receiver and corner.

There's slightly more potential at the QB position now because of Wentz' athletic profile and the DLine now could improve but it is still a case where we're simply replacing outgoings and not seeming like we're getting tangibly better.

At a certain point, you have to assume a degree of development and growth from your young players. If we have the exact same roster as last season, but 3 or 4 of those rookies/young players take 1 or 2 steps forward in their development, that alone can make you a much better team. That's part of his philosophy in growing your own talent. Wentz over Rivers alone opens up part of the playbook we didn't have last season and makes TY a relevant deep threat again. If LT gets improved, I think this team has strong potential to be better than last season's. If guys like Pittman, Blackmon, and Campbell all take that next step, this will be a very good team.

9 minutes ago, Shive said:

I agree with most of your above response, but to this point:

Ehlinger was a 6th round pick.

I initially thought the same thing that we wasted one of the picks, but I can see some logic in it. Not only does it provide someone to challenge Eason for the backup spot, but it also gives us a scout team QB with mobility that will help our defense prepare for the numerous mobile QB's we'll see, specifically within our own division. Eason can't provide that. Ehlinger may never scratch QB2 for us, but that isn't the only role where he can help improve our team.

I hated the pick initially, but I get it now.

Thanks for the clarification on Ellinger being a 6th round pick.

As for his ability to be a scout team QB, I think you can find that type of guy rather easily through FA (both for competition with Eason and scout team mobile QB), especially once teams reduce the roster to 53. It was my least favorite Colts draft pick this year. 

4 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

They traded for a franchise QB.

They have the deepest talent at RB.

Drafted an Edge most had as the best in the draft.

Have a few holes to fill and it’s only May, lots of time left.

People seriously don’t understand how good Wentz is going to be.

I love Wentz and liked our trade. 

Our RB talent us the same as it was a year ago, but now Mack is coming off an Achilles injury. 

Love Paye AND Dayo.

Where we disagree is the part about a few holes.   I think that’s glossing over. 

24 minutes ago, Shive said:

At a certain point, you have to assume a degree of development and growth from your young players. If we have the exact same roster as last season, but 3 or 4 of those rookies/young players take 1 or 2 steps forward in their development, that alone can make you a much better team. That's part of his philosophy in growing your own talent. Wentz over Rivers alone opens up part of the playbook we didn't have last season and makes TY a relevant deep threat again. If LT gets improved, I think this team has strong potential to be better than last season's. If guys like Pittman, Blackmon, and Campbell all take that next step, this will be a very good team.

Yes, we bank on the development of young players, but we need to see proof of that on the field. You can't say in an offseason "so and so will be better ,therefore we'll improve". We don't know that for a fact that guys will improve. Right now you can only really try to calculate the improvement based on who's left the roster and who's joined it.

That said, players like Campbell, Pittman, Ya-Sin, Blackmon, they will have the platform to improve. That's in part why I think the conservatism still makes sense to a degree this offseason because we have a pretty decent number of guys who we need to know if they're any good. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

This is doubled down nonsense.

If none of our moves this offseason work, yes, this offseason might have set the team back. If all of the moves this offseason work, then no, this offseason probably didn't set the team back.

The premise that the Colts are falling behind is necessarily predicated on the idea that most of our offseason moves won't work out well. And, in context, this thread is a complaint that we didn't draft a LT.

And this idea is clearly debatable.  So no need to type down the ole nose Supe.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Yet those same players we made it to the playoffs with and damn near won.  Now that there are additions on both sides we should be more than okay. Especially with the additions we made on the DL. That will help the secondary.  I think you spend too much time trying to trash Blackmon when you know damn well he was a rookie. I expect Tell to take the next step and weve got Rhodes and Carrie back along with Kenny Moore. Roberts is solid depth behind Moore. Then Ballard just improved the depth behind Willis and Blackmon with both Sean/Shawn Davis and of course Odum.   Wr room is more than serviceable and should benefit from the improved run game and running QB.

I haven't spent a lot of time trashing Blackmon.  His grade in the last 6 weeks would do that if I wanted to.  I am not sure this kid will develop.  He's supsect in coverage, nothing more nothing less.  Going in to last year I was high on Rock (sound's pretty funny huh?).  I am no longer very optimistic that he's going to make it.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

This is doubled down nonsense.

If none of our moves this offseason work, yes, this offseason might have set the team back. If all of the moves this offseason work, then no, this offseason probably didn't set the team back.

The premise that the Colts are falling behind is necessarily predicated on the idea that most of our offseason moves won't work out well. And, in context, this thread is a complaint that we didn't draft 

Don't speak for me because I wrote it and the premise of the long thread is NOT a complaint about a LT and if that's ALL you took from it then that's on you!

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

The premise of this thread is "Are the Colts falling behind?"

If we step back and look at what has happened in our division over the last 10 years, you will see that the Colts have been competitive in the AFC South, but not dominant. The Jaguars have won the division 1 time, Titans just recently in 2020, and the Texans 6 times, while the Colts have won the division 2 times, (none under Ballard). Of course, there are circumstances that have contributed to this (Luck's retirement, subsequently leading to a year with Jacoby at QB and then Rivers). But, we have performed below our own expectations.

image.png.029a0fa3553748e63cfac72e068b5af6.png

Looking forward:

Texans - You would expect the Texans lack of talent and the Watson situation to lead to future struggles for the team. 

Jaguars - Expect the Jaguars to get better with a new QB and influx of talent. They give the Colts trouble even when they are the worst team in the league.

Titans - Reigning AFC South champs and a team that continues to get better. 

The question is: Did we do enough through FA and the draft to improve our positioning within the AFC South?

FA:

- Adding Wentz was a big move. I think he will be really good in this offense, especially behind our O-line and with our run game. He will open up our deep passing attack once again.

- The retirement of Castonzo has left a glaring hole, and to date, not much has been done to address this, but there is still time.

- Houston leaving in FA has also left a hole. I think this is a drop off for us, even when considering the replacements on our roster. We are weaker at this position for the time being, until our players regain their health or the rookies adjust to the NFL, which is no guarantee.

Draft: 

- We drafted Paye, which will help bolster the DE position, but we should not expect immediate results. There will be a drop off between what Houston gave us last year and what we can reasonably expect Paye to deliver his rookie year.

- Dayo will have limited impact this year due to his injury. This does not help us gain ground with our AFCS counterparts this year, but it should pay dividends in future years, given that Dayo regains his health.

- Sam Ellinger - IMO we either wasted our last year's 4th round pick or we wasted this year's 6th round pick. Either Eason or Ellinger will be on the PS or both on the roster but holding clip boards. This does not do much to gain ground. Of course, we need a good back-up. I understand that, but one of them will be the backup. The other will be 3rd string QB, thus we either wasted last year's 4th or this year's 6th.

The rest of the draft are special teamers or project players.

Making an edit to show Ellinger as a 6th round pick this year.

14 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Don't speak for me because I wrote it and the premise of the long thread is NOT a complaint about a LT and if that's ALL you took from it then that's on you!

So what's the complaint then?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

So what's the complaint then?

"By most accounts for the upcoming 2021 season through FA and the draft teams like the Chiefs, Bills, Steelers, Ravens and Titans have been aggressive and have gotten even better on paper by adding some playmakers at the SKILL positions and by addressing set needs. While young ultra talented teams like the Browns and Dolphins are closing fast."

In short, other AFC teams (who were already very good) have gotten better on paper. Have we done enough to close the gap or is the gap widening?

I don’t get what you mean by falling behind? If we just focus on the division I don’t see anyone pulling ahead. Texans had a messy offseason and horrible draft. Jags still have a ton of holes and relying on rookies. They could’ve added more weapons TE/WRs but didn’t. The Titans had a ok FA, Draft but nothing that puts them clearly over the Colts. It’s looking like a two team race again Colts-Titans with neither clearly ahead. 

1 minute ago, bluephantom87 said:

None Ballard. Oops I meant Superman

You: Don't put words in my mouth!

Me: So what are you saying?

You: Don't speak for me!!

You: [trollish nonsense]

Good job.

35 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Yes, we bank on the development of young players, but we need to see proof of that on the field. You can't say in an offseason "so and so will be better ,therefore we'll improve". We don't know that for a fact that guys will improve. Right now you can only really try to calculate the improvement based on who's left the roster and who's joined it.

Completely agree. As I've said multiple times we like to assume improvement for our players while assuming other teams players will get worse or at a minimum not improve. We seem to think Colts player development is the key to success while completely ignoring that every team has coaches and young/developmental players too.

Just once I'd like to hear someone say something like this... his history has shown Campbell has been injured so often that his ability to practice/play has been so diminished in the last 2 years that we should reasonably expect him to be a C+ player as opposed to the A- talent he was drafted as. He's essentially lost 2 entire years of development vs his peers. Therefore we should reasonably expect a 20% decline in WR production vs 2020 while counting him as a 2021 factor vs the 2020 WR production. 

We just say well Pittman will improve by 2000% and we can ignore Hilton is a year older, Pascal has peaked and Campbell is stagnant.

9 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Completely agree. As I've said multiple times we like to assume improvement for our players while assuming other teams players will get worse or at a minimum not improve. We seem to think Colts player development is the key to success while completely ignoring that every team has coaches and young/developmental players too.

Just once I'd like to hear someone say something like this... his history has shown Campbell has been injured so often that his ability to practice/play has been so diminished in the last 2 years that we should reasonably expect him to be a C+ player as opposed to the A- talent he was drafted as. He's essentially lost 2 entire years of development vs his peers. Therefore we should reasonably expect a 20% decline in WR production vs 2020 while counting him as a 2021 factor vs the 2020 WR production. 

We just say well Pittman will improve by 2000% and we can ignore Hilton is a year older, Pascal has peaked and Campbell is stagnant.

What are these numbers seems like your just pulling them out of thin air lol. We don’t need all these WRs to ball out if we have a balanced Passing/running game. We had a top 10 scoring offense last year and that was without Campbell, Mack. If Taylor continues to improve with having help from Mack and Hines that’ll just make things much easier for Carson and our WRs

19 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

You would think Ballard will actually go for it and spend a little next year or the one after that because the one criticism I'll say about him is; he can't keep saying we're not in our "window" every year. That will get old quick at some point. But I still get the reticence and conservatism this offseason. I think there's still some logic behind it. 

Reich said they thought they were close to winning a SB back in mid January. And in regards to what makes a SB team, he also said this:

“It’s multiple things but number one, you need playmakers. You need good football players. I believe that this locker room is full of good football players, guys who work hard and they love the process,” Reich said Sunday.

He didn't specify offense...but given that he's an offensive coach...it stands to reason that offensive playmakers is a big part of that. So the lack of activity on that front is interesting to me. 

(And no...I don't consider QB to be what he is talking about. At this time, Rivers was still the QB. Not to mention that QB is a foundational and requisite piece...and by default a playmaker.)

Well, this back and forth about incalculable levels at this time, are certainly interesting. Here is my final comment in this thread.

Nothing, I repeat....nothing that I think, do, say, or perceive.... will affect even the slightest thing about how the Colts will actually turn out this season. However, it can and WILL affect the joy of my own experience. To go down the road of "half empty" would only diminish my enjoyment of following this team.

Right now, I am pumped, geeked, happy, excited, and really looking forward to what this season brings. I have no desire to change anyone's mind. You can damn sure bet no one will change mine. 

It reminds me of asking someone to taste something, and they do so....but they scrunch up their face before the utensil even reaches their lips. 

Thanks Chris for saying what you'll do, doing what you have said, and staying true to your approach. What a blessing you are to the Shoe.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I feel like part of this is directed to my viewpoint.

1) I never called the Colts offseason great. But it wasn't a disaster.

2) The Colts had cap space, and still do, but it's allocated to re-signing Leonard, Smith, and maybe Nelson. They could have spent more money this offseason, but that would have been a significant departure from their cap management strategy, and that strategy is the reason the Colts will always have cap space to re-sign their best players (like Leonard, Smith, and Nelson). It was pretty obvious they weren't going to go on a spending spree, especially after they traded for Wentz. Anyone who got their hopes up and was disappointed, that's due to improper expectations.

3) Let's be clear about LT. We'd all much rather have a rock solid player, as opposed to what we have now. But there's two things about it. First, and the easiest point to make, there is still the possibility of adding a free agent that can play LT. We'll see if that happens.

Second, any comment about plugging in an average LT -- on our line, specifically -- is made in response to the idea that if the Colts don't do something else at LT, it's going to be disastrous. That viewpoint is a complete overreaction. Our line, TEs, RBs, coaching, and mobile QB are good enough to make up for average LT play, if necessary. And if Wentz can't move around a little bit, then we aren't as good as we need to be anyway. This is not a difficult or advanced concept. If you're trying to make up for two or three deficient players on the OL, you're probably gonna fail. To help a LT on passing downs doesn't require a doctorate.

4) I find it really ironic to hear people complain about the use of Day 3 picks, particularly in the context of what position they wish had been addressed instead. If you're expecting a Day 3 pick to address a specific need for this coming season, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially LT.

Quite honestly,  there was only one part directed at you.   Just one.   The issue of LT.    You and I have a rare disagreement but it's pretty substantial.    I didn't use the term disastrous, and while I wouldn't call it that,  it's also far from ideal.   I don't like the idea of having to scheme and game plan around an average LT while at the same time,  trying to create the best environment to succeed for Wentz.   I don't want the defense to know that when we put a TE like Doyle on the hip of our LT, odds are he's staying in to block.   That makes us predictable.   And frankly, I thought there were too many times last year where we got predictable, but that's another topic for another day. 

As for my comments about Day 3 picks...    first, I didn't want a Day 3 LT.   And I didn't ask for one.   Right now, over on the Draft Page,  there's a thread about what would you have done with our picks.   And I basically said my picks would mirror Ballard's except I wouldn't have taken the QB, I would've taken our 4th and 5th round TE and Safety one round later, and I would've used our 4th round pick on a WR or a CB.   And I listed names.   My point is,  our draft feels like we were TWO picks short.   Our 3rd, and our 4th.   That we reached for both of those players.   I think our Day 3 picks would've looked better if we had taken a WR/CB in the 4th,  and THEN taken the TE and Saf in the next two rounds.   When you're already down picks,  and you start reaching a round too early,  it feels like we left a pick out.   It went almost unused.    And if you think back,  I've never, EVER made this criticism of Ballard before.   I'm the most stunned poster about that.   I'm criticising Ballard.   Unthinkable to me.   But I'm doing it.  

To your point about saving our money for Q, Darius and Braden, I'm afraid we're going to disagree on that too.   We're not signing them with our current pool of $22 Mill.   If recent history holds,  they won't be getting a penny of that.   No signing bonuses,  remember?    Those guys will be signed with our ton of money we have in '22 and '23.    That's where their new contract money is coming from.    The $22 mill we currently have is going to sign a FA LT,  and maybe a Zack Ertz type.   And sign our draft picks.    And the rest left over is for in-season moves.   But none of it, or ALMOST none of it, is going for our current guys.   

My main objection is that the whole off-season feels like one of teases....    Ballard says his locker room is ready to handle a unique personality, he has money,  then doesn't use it.   And there's no gamble on greatness.   No one who is talented but maybe a little troubled.    It feels like lip service.

Then Ballard (and Irsay) say don't worry that we didn't sign a LT in FA,  the draft is where we can address it.   Darrisaw is there for the taking.   And we take Paye.   I love Paye, glad we took him.   But we did nothing else and CB says we were interested in a few other guys,  but they kept getting picked before us.   The moment we took Paye, Ballard, who now admits he wasn't as wild about the LT class as other GM's,  analysts and posters here,  that moment he had to know he'd be in the market to buy a LT this week.   He'd be after Fisher or Okung, or now, Leno.   He had to know.    I know what he said in the post-draft briefing...   I think he said all the right things,  and yet,  I just didn't want to hear it.   It's four months of teases, hints, and promises and so far,  the present under the X-Mas Tree feels like a nice pair of socks.    Sorry,  he's been promising a new bike and a pair of socks is just not going to cut it.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard says his locker room is ready to handle a unique personality, he has money,  then doesn't use it.   And there's no gamble on greatness.   No one who is talented but maybe a little troubled.    It feels like lip service.

Don't you think, just maybe.....it might be a good idea to get Wentz a year under his belt with this team before he spends big coinage on a FA?

20 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

"By most accounts for the upcoming 2021 season through FA and the draft teams like the Chiefs, Bills, Steelers, Ravens and Titans have been aggressive and have gotten even better on paper by adding some playmakers at the SKILL positions and by addressing set needs. While young ultra talented teams like the Browns and Dolphins are closing fast."

In short, other AFC teams (who were already very good) have gotten better on paper. Have we done enough to close the gap or is the gap widening?

How good the 2021 Colts will be hinges almost entirely on whether Carson Wentz can play at a high level. If he can, the Colts will be in the mix. If he can't, they won't. It's as simple as that in my mind, and it's not really reliant on what other teams did in the offseason. Supplemental to that is any improvement from players already on the roster.

Those other teams didn't have super impressive offseasons, IMO. The Chiefs replaced a couple of OL, and will be mostly the same team they were last year; they're banking on health. The Bills added a receiver and some rotational guys, and are banking on the development of their guys. The Steelers added a guard, and lost other players, and their roster is kind of hanging by a thread. The Ravens added a receiver, and shuffled their OL, but will only go as far as Jackson can take them. The Dolphins added Will Fuller, who is never healthy, and they don't know if they have a QB. The Browns signed some noteworthy players, and the Titans shuffled and probably improved their roster, but I feel like their offseason is a little overstated also.

I don't see anyone pulling away, unless their core players improve their performance. Which, coincidentally, is what the Colts are apparently banking on also.

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Don't you think, just maybe.....it might be a good idea to get Wentz a year under his belt with this team before he spends big coinage on a FA?

Huh?

What's the connection?    Why should Wentz need a year on the roster before Ballard spends on a FA?    Where's the connection for the dots?     I'm sorry,  I'm confused and don't understand your meaning?

44 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I don’t get what you mean by falling behind? If we just focus on the division I don’t see anyone pulling ahead. Texans had a messy offseason and horrible draft. Jags still have a ton of holes and relying on rookies. They could’ve added more weapons TE/WRs but didn’t. The Titans had a ok FA, Draft but nothing that puts them clearly over the Colts. It’s looking like a two team race again Colts-Titans with neither clearly ahead. 

Smh... I said compared to the TOP teams in the AFC

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

How good the 2021 Colts will be hinges almost entirely on whether Carson Wentz can play at a high level. If he can, the Colts will be in the mix. If he can't, they won't. It's as simple as that in my mind, and it's not really reliant on what other teams did in the offseason. Supplemental to that is any improvement from players already on the roster.

Those other teams didn't have super impressive offseasons, IMO. The Chiefs replaced a couple of OL, and will be mostly the same team they were last year; they're banking on health. The Bills added a receiver and some rotational guys, and are banking on the development of their guys. The Steelers added a guard, and lost other players, and their roster is kind of hanging by a thread. The Ravens added a receiver, and shuffled their OL, but will only go as far as Jackson can take them. The Dolphins added Will Fuller, who is never healthy, and they don't know if they have a QB. The Browns signed some noteworthy players, and the Titans shuffled and probably improved their roster, but I feel like their offseason is a little overstated also.

I don't see anyone pulling away, unless their core players improve their performance. Which, coincidentally, is what the Colts are apparently banking on also.

You finally answered the question. This is what the post was all about anyway. Sorry for the jab earlier. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you're going to say that our 2021 season hangs mostly on the play of Carson Wentz,  and I don't disagree,  then wouldn't you think you'd want his blindside protected as best as you can?    More help, more support,  more tools and toys for Carson.

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good job.

Phantom:  Don't put words in my mouth!

Supe:  What do you mean?

Phantom:  I didn't say fall apart, I said fall behind

Phantom and others:  Well other contenders in the AFC appeared to make moves to be better this year and I don't see where we are markedly improved.

Supe:  Well what do you man?  (Followed by other smug, self absorbed postings.)

So SUPE big questions, do you think we improved this off season more than other contenders in the AFC?  That is all I mean.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Phantom and others:  Well other contenders in the AFC appeared to make moves to be better this year and I don't see where we are markedly improved.

So SUPE big questions, do you think we improved this off season more than other contenders in the AFC?  That is all I mean.

Edit.  I see you finally answered the question.  I agree with much of what you are saying BTW.  But especially with the Dayo pick, I think we need to get good production out of the top of this draft.

It's clear that the future hinges on Wentz.  I disagree with those who say patience.  Our best window to me would have been last year, this year, and next year.   After that, a ton of money is going to be going out to players in positions that are much easier to fill than many other positions that we aren't clearly in good shape in.  

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You're taking a lot of shots. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

You're taking a lot of shots. 

Pot to kettle, come in kettle.

Good job.

15 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Smh... I said compared to the TOP teams in the AFC

You finally answered the question. This is what the post was all about anyway. Sorry for the jab earlier. 

Winning the division should be the first goal. Colts haven’t won it since 2014 that’s too long. The draft was only a few days ago I don’t get why people think the roster is closed to being finished. NFL is a very unpredictable league so who knows who’d the top teams will be. It’s not like the NBA where it’s more predictable. Both are predications about the Colts are mute right now it’s so early.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Pot to kettle, come in kettle.

Good job.

In response to a shot.

Not sure why you're engaging, other than to call me self-absorbed and condescending, and take shots. Which I have not done.

Just now, Superman said:

In response to a shot.

Not sure why you're engaging, other than to call me self-absorbed and condescending, and take shots. Which I have not done.

Well it seemed like it to me.  I thought Phantom has a perfectly legitimate, thought provoking topic, and it seems like you have something against the dude and anyone else engaging in the topic which includes me.    Now I'm not up on Colts MB Beef, but you seem to condescend to him quite often in your posts.

The reason I engage is because I don't like it when people do that.  If you don't think the topic worthy of discussion then wth do you or anyone else discuss it man?

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is I am one of the most optimistic posters on here and I graded our draft a C+. Now a C+ isn't bad but is far from great. I factored in Wentz basically being a 3rd round pick in doing so. I loved the Paye pick and I fully believe we will sign at least an average LOT shortly. I like Leno a lot and can live with that, playing beside Nelson he will do ok. If that happens we will be fine but Wentz has to be at least on the good level, not asking for great but at least good QB play is needed. I thought last season Rivers was good and it helped get us in the playoffs.

I'm such a homer (I know you like homer).  I always think we are going to win it all every offseason. so i don't mind someone saying we had a great offseason.  I talk myself into agreeing with them.  lol.  

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you're going to say that our 2021 season hangs mostly on the play of Carson Wentz,  and I don't disagree,  then wouldn't you think you'd want his blindside protected as best as you can?    More help, more support,  more tools and toys for Carson.

I think people overestimate the importance of a single position on the line. Reality is, even the worst OLinemen starting in the league give up about a 0.5 sacks per game and about 4 pressures per game(this is Sam Tevi's pass protection numbers over the last 3 years). AC's numbers in the same period about half of that. Not that the 2 more pressures a game don't matter or the odd sack more every 4 games doesn't matter... but the impact of that single position is not as big as people assume. It's much more about the cohesion of the line and how they work as a unit. That's the reason why we managed to do relatively well even when AC was injured last year and we took guys off the street to fill in. I don't expect this line to crumble and be horrible even if we start Tevi and I wouldn't have expected a rookie drafted in the second round to be much better than Tevi in year 1 either. Overall, I expect the OLine to be above average even with Tevi starting and I expect Wentz to do good, not because Tevi is amazing but because the unit as a whole is good and the playcalling will try to cut down the time to throw significantly for him, thus alleviating any issues of pass-protection. If Wentz doesn't do good IMO the reason won't be the OLine(unless we suffer multiple injuries there).

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Every year, fans, media  and the like get on this thing and claim winners and losers, if you don’t make a big splash, those people write ya off as a loser. When year in and year out, most of those end up being paper tigers or worse yet, one year wonders in salary cap hell. 

Grigson tried that even. There’s being aggressive and throwing money around, and there’s being aggressively smart. I don’t know what people do not listen but Ballard and Irsay have both said repeatedly, we are building for the long term, it’s not gonna be over night. They’ve both said it many times.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

the present under the X-Mas Tree feels like a nice pair of socks.    Sorry,  he's been promising a new bike and a pair of socks is just not going to cut it.

Don't be dissing socks, they are my favorite Christmas present, a nice pair of wool socks are the best lol

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Every year, fans, media  and the like get on this thing and claim winners and losers, if you don’t make a big splash, those people write ya off as a loser. When year in and year out, most of those end up being paper tigers or worse yet, one year wonders in salary cap hell. 

Grigson tried that even. There’s being aggressive and throwing money around, and there’s being aggressively smart. I don’t know what people do not listen but Ballard and Irsay have both said repeatedly, we are building for the long term, it’s not gonna be over night. They’ve both said it many times.  

Hey csmopar. Understood.

The portion you may be replying to, (is me quoting directly from the OP to explain to Superman what the thread was about). Explaining that it's not a "complaint" thread, rather an evaluation of our current situation in comparison with other top AFC teams, (which of course is subject to change over time).

The views stated in the OP may not necessarily reflect my own. My thoughts are a little higher on this page, or the second to last post on page 2, just in case you'd like to reference it.

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Hey csmopar. Understood.

The portion you may be replying to, (is me quoting directly from the OP to explain to Superman what the thread was about). Explaining that it's not a "complaint" thread, rather an evaluation of our current situation in comparison with other top AFC teams, (which of course is subject to change over time).

The views stated in the OP may not necessarily reflect my own. My thoughts are a little higher on this page, or the second to last post on page 2, just in case you'd like to reference it.

Thanks. I wasn’t directing that at you. It was a general observation and point about this whole thread. 

Archived