Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex-Steeler Safety Sean Davis signs with Colts

NorthernColt

Apparently we're bringing in Sean Davis for a visit today. 

I'd like the move actually. Was a starter with the steelers before he got hurt. Then when he got hurt, they traded for Minkah, so he lost his spot when he came back. 

He's a FS, who's played SS and played slot too so he's got versatility. Only 27 I believe too.

Really need to have (3) good Ss anymore. Not only for depth...but to run big nickel when necessary.

Not sure Davis that guy...but he's depth nonetheless. Considering he's played <120 snaps in the past two seasons...this would be nothing more than TC invite.

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Really need to have (3) good Ss anymore. Not only for depth...but to run big nickel when necessary.

Not sure Davis that guy...but he's depth nonetheless. Considering he's played <120 snaps in the past two seasons...this would be nothing more than TC invite.

Exactly!!! 

I would rather get Duron Harmon (ex-Patriot and ex-Lion) or Tashaun Gipson (ex-Bear), both of whom would be quality safety additions, IMO. 

30 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Anxious to hear @NewColtsFan thoughts, on this, seeing Davis played in a 3-4. 

Malik Hooker had issues with sceme change, not just injuries.

The 3-4/4-3 piece isn't necessarily relevant to the defensive secondary, since that's just how the front 7 lines up. The main coverage scheme employed is what can make the difference. We moved from a primarily press-man coverage to a cover 2, which asks different things of the CB's and Safeties. Hooker did much better in the prior defense, not because of the front, but because with the CB's playing press man on the outside, he was able to play the centerfielder role that really plays to his strengths as a FS. It wasn't that he was bad in the Tampa 2, it just didn't play to his strengths and allow him to shine like the previous defensive scheme did.

Davis is coming from the Steelers who run a 3-4, but employ more of a zone coverage scheme, so Davis may actually fit pretty well in our defense.

• Shive changed the title to Ex-Steeler Safety Sean Davis visiting Colts
1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Anxious to hear @NewColtsFan thoughts, on this, seeing Davis played in a 3-4. 

Malik Hooker had issues with sceme change, not just injuries.

Hmmm?   I’m not sure the scheme matters in a 3-4 vs 4-3 for a safety.   You can play zone or man out of either front.   

We play mostly zone, with some man tossed in.   I don’t know Davis’ strength?   Whether he’s a zone guy or man guy?

But typically, if we bring a player in to kick the tires, I rarely, if ever, second guess this front office and coaching staff.   I have great respect for them.  And I think they’ve earned it. 

13 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Why so?

solid safety with experience on the outs with old team. I think mitchell also came from pit (could be wrong) but he was a little older. Don't forget how young our safeties are. Even though they are both talented its always good to have guys that have been around. Also Davis didn't really do terrible, he just got injured. Mitchell wasn't terrible either. Middle of the road safety with some flexibility. 

• w87r changed the title to Ex-Steeler Safety Sean Davis signs with Colts
54 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

keep hooker. he is still young. he is a playmaker in the right scheme.

If his Achilles allows it yeah.  Hooker is a stud.  Injury prone but good at what he is good at.

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hookers not going to hit anybody and not good in man coverage.

Hooker is excellent in man coverage.  He wasn't as good in the Cover 2 shell.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If his Achilles allows it yeah.  Hooker is a stud.  Injury prone but good at what he is good at.

Hooker is excellent in man coverage.  He wasn't as good in the Cover 2 shell.

He wad never good in man in our scheme when asked to play it.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

He wad never good in man in our scheme when asked to play it.

Well man I don't know what you are referring to, but Cover 1 (basically man) and Cover 3 is what Hooker excels at.  He gets to play Center Field in those schemes.  He can read and react, and he was great at it.

I mean if you are talking about times when we played Cover 0, and Hooker mans up with a TE or Slot, then no, he probably isn't any good at that, but that almost never happens on any team in the NFL outside of the 5 YL.

It is the switch to the Tampa 2 that made him look pedestrian, but I think the real problem that year was the inability of our LBs to run down the deep middle with TEs and BIG BULLY SLOT guys making Hooker look worse than he was.

Hooker is good.  Just injury prone.

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I like the addition for competition and depth purposes but still think Roderic Teamer is a baller, perhaps they move him to corner (which on Colts.com they have him listed at CB and Nick Nelson at S).

You do realize he was suspended 4 games last year, right, for violating the substance abuse policy? Normally, this does not happen unless you have had more than a few tests come out positive. I am not jumping up and down for this guy like you are, fingers crossed.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-safety-roderic-teamer-suspended-four-games

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

You do realize he was suspended 4 games last year, right, for violating the substance abuse policy? Normally, this does not happen unless you have had more than a few tests come out positive. I am not jumping up and down for this guy like you are, fingers crossed.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-safety-roderic-teamer-suspended-four-games

I'm aware he was suspended, but, he was solid in college and was solid as a NFL Rookie.....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmm?   I’m not sure the scheme matters in a 3-4 vs 4-3 for a safety.   You can play zone or man out of either front.   

Not a lot but the difference in underneath cover schemes can be a little more challenging in a 3-4. He's a prototypical Pittsburgh DB. Very good tackler and that's a great thing to have in a zone scheme. Not the greatest in coverage but zone is more about limiting YAC. Definitely a player who will try to strip the ball as well.

16 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Apparently we're bringing in Sean Davis for a visit today. 

I'd like the move actually. Was a starter with the steelers before he got hurt. Then when he got hurt, they traded for Minkah, so he lost his spot when he came back. 

He's a FS, who's played SS and played slot too so he's got versatility. Only 27 I believe too.

Welp there goes the Hooker re-signing

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Welp there goes the Hooker re-signing

I would not rule that out yet. Davis is a really solid depth signing. It's a very smart move to have him on the roster because he can fill in at multiple positions and is a really good tackler. Coverage is not his strength however. I would say though that chances of signing anyone else from the outside in the secondary for a "locker room fit" went down significantly. Hooker is an exceptional athlete and still young.

He also hails from my birthplace and was a sensation in Western PA, but I digress.

If Davis can recapture what he was than Milligan's odds of making the roster go down, also Davis has played very good special teams and with Odum likely gone that hole can be filled.  I'm assuming we draft a Safety as some point. 

Blackmon

Willis 

Davis

Rookie

I still see Odum coming back. I know he was * about the money we offered, but it actually wasn't bad money considering his role. Same money as matthew slater. I can't see him getting more on the open market. A four of:

Blackmon, Willis, Odum, Davis is solid. Grab another rookie from 5-7 or udfa and you're set.

20 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Love what Ballards doing with experienced depth.  It’s a long season, and it just got one game longer.  

Now we need talented Edge rushers to make those DBs lives easier.  

I really like that he signs a lot of younger players (25-28) who want to prove themselves.  

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

That closes the door for any chance of bringing hooker back. Its a shame. I really wanted to see Hooker and Blackmon play together.

Would've been cool to see, it's a shame to see yet another colts player who's seasons got derailed by injury, hooker just can't hold up to the physicality of the game it seems... Such a shame to, because as you mentioned, hooker and blackman, could've batman and robin.  

Archived