Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex-Steeler Safety Sean Davis signs with Colts

NorthernColt

9 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

If Davis can recapture what he was than Milligan's odds of making the roster go down, also Davis has played very good special teams and with Odum likely gone that hole can be filled.  I'm assuming we draft a Safety as some point. 

Blackmon

Willis 

Davis

Rookie

Doubt we draft a S. 

We have Blackmon, and Willis as starters, then Davis, Odum, Milligan, Campbell, and Teamer fighting for 2-3 depth or STs spots.

Starters.

Blackmon - FS. Great at what's in front of him, was horrible in coverage the last half of the year. 

Willis - SS. Consistent/solid. Now a wow guy, but simply does his job. Struggles in coverage sometimes in C2 deep situations.

Likely Depth / STs

Odum - mostly FS subbing when needed. Not great in coverage. 

Davis - advertised as a swing safety, and has played FS, SS, and CB (in college). He's been atrocious in coverage, but a big hitter.

Fighting for a potential 5th spot or PS

Campbell

Teamer

Milligan

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rate this as a good signing, not great but good. When healthy he has good game. I like this and he should be a nice addition to the secondary.

He's a big hitter, so could be a good/great signing if he can push Willis for minutes at SS. I don't like him FS at all, and not really enthused about him being a swing guy (which many are saying). He's a step down IMO to Tavon Wilson who was a pretty darn good swing S. 

15 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Welp there goes the Hooker re-signing

I wouldn't say it totally rules it out. We still don't have anyone who's decent in C1 or C3. Everyone we have struggles on the backend and struggles in C1/C3 situational D. If Odum isn't a happy camper in camp, I could see him getting cut (if his contract is not guaranteed). The longer Hooker stays out there, the more likely it is he takes a vet min contract. And I'd definitely sign him for that and boot one of the other guys.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, Shive said:

The 3-4/4-3 piece isn't necessarily relevant to the defensive secondary, since that's just how the front 7 lines up. The main coverage scheme employed is what can make the difference. We moved from a primarily press-man coverage to a cover 2, which asks different things of the CB's and Safeties. Hooker did much better in the prior defense, not because of the front, but because with the CB's playing press man on the outside, he was able to play the centerfielder role that really plays to his strengths as a FS. It wasn't that he was bad in the Tampa 2, it just didn't play to his strengths and allow him to shine like the previous defensive scheme did.

Davis is coming from the Steelers who run a 3-4, but employ more of a zone coverage scheme, so Davis may actually fit pretty well in our defense.

Great post!

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Doubt we draft a S. 

We have Blackmon, and Willis as starters, then Davis, Odum, Milligan, Campbell, and Teamer fighting for 2-3 depth or STs spots.

Starters.

Blackmon - FS. Great at what's in front of him, was horrible in coverage the last half of the year. 

Willis - SS. Consistent/solid. Now a wow guy, but simply does his job. Struggles in coverage sometimes in C2 deep situations.

Likely Depth / STs

Davis - advertised as a swing safety, and has played FS, SS, and CB (in college). He's been atrocious in coverage, but a big hitter.

Campbell

Teamer

Milligan

He's a big hitter, so could be a good/great signing if he can push Willis for minutes at SS. I don't like him FS at all, and not really enthused about him being a swing guy (which many are saying). He's a step down IMO to Tavon Wilson who was a pretty darn good swing S. 

I wouldn't say it totally rules it out. We still don't have anyone who's decent in C1 or C3. Everyone we have struggles on the backend and struggles in C1/C3 situational D. If Odum isn't a happy camper in camp, I could see him getting cut (if his contract is not guaranteed). The longer Hooker stays out there, the more likely it is he takes a vet min contract. And I'd definitely sign him for that and boot one of the other guys.

I don't think they resign Hooker with the fact they declined his 5th year option. 

On 4/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, Shive said:

The 3-4/4-3 piece isn't necessarily relevant to the defensive secondary, since that's just how the front 7 lines up. The main coverage scheme employed is what can make the difference. We moved from a primarily press-man coverage to a cover 2, which asks different things of the CB's and Safeties. Hooker did much better in the prior defense, not because of the front, but because with the CB's playing press man on the outside, he was able to play the centerfielder role that really plays to his strengths as a FS. It wasn't that he was bad in the Tampa 2, it just didn't play to his strengths and allow him to shine like the previous defensive scheme did.

Davis is coming from the Steelers who run a 3-4, but employ more of a zone coverage scheme, so Davis may actually fit pretty well in our defense.

Spot On Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Doubt we draft a S. 

Starters.

Likely Depth / STs

Campbell

Teamer

Milligan

Looks like we really really need a couple of coverage S guys huh East.  Especially if we are going to stick with the c2 shell.  Unless, Blackmon drastically improves, I think we are in real trouble here as we stand in coverage.  With questionable corners and DEs this is not good.

I can’t really tell what we are trying to do defensively with our personnel.  We need 2 S who can cover a lot of the field and LBs who can read and  cover too.  Do we have any of those types?

8 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I don't think they resign Hooker with the fact they declined his 5th year option. 

The decline of the 5th year option was simply a cost/benefit decision. He just wasn't worth the 5th year level cost. He is worth a vet min.  Very unrelated. Not saying we'll resign him, but the cost benefit decision is very different now.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Looks like we really really need a couple of coverage S guys huh East.  Especially if we are going to stick with the c2 shell.  Unless, Blackmon drastically improves, I think we are in real trouble here as we stand in coverage.  With questionable corners and DEs this is not good.

I can’t really tell what we are trying to do defensively with our personnel.  We need 2 S who can cover a lot of the field and LBs who can read and  cover too.  Do we have any of those types?

The big question to me is will we continue to play more r/l C3 like we have been the last 1.25 years. If so, we need to get better in coverage (S wise). If we're just playing vanilla C2, I'm not all that worried. That's why I said I'd happily take Hooker back on a vet min for those single high reps or games. And I think we only need one lurker/center-fielder. 

I hope Blackmon improves too. None of his performance surprised me though. Not the big hits, not the play making during help, and not the bad coverage behind him lol. It was pretty much exactly like his time in college. It's a catch 22. He's got to be more disciplined on the back end. But by doing that, he'll give up some of the front end aggressiveness. Not sure if he's got the range to do both at a high level. I still think his natural position is SS.

And I'm with you. I really don't have a clue what we're trying to do on D. Aside from stopping the run, we're not that good as we saw vs some of the better teams on our weak schedule. With our soft zone and 4 man rush, we just don't have much of an identity. To be honest, I don't know what our O identity is either. Hoping the play calling is more diverse / less predictable this year on both sides of the ball.

Archived