Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency: Day 5

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like this post.   I was with you all the way until the TYH prediction.   I think it’s more likely we get him.

TYH wants to come back.   We want him back.  We’re willing to gamble that no one will offer more.   I’m guessing we’re willing to go 2/13 or 14.   Will some other team offer more?   I’m guessing, no.  

I’ll be honest and say I hope you’re correct and I’d be all for those terms. 

I think TY likely came in looking for Agholor money and the WR market went dry. 

the problem is if we see him as Brown/Sanders/JuJu then he is a $5-$8M a year player. 

he might see himself as at least Fuller. 

now that he is the top remaining guy, will someone offer him $8-$10M even for one year to hit the market again next year? If so then I think he leaves. 

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I’ll be honest and say I hope you’re correct and I’d be all for those terms. 

I think TY likely came in looking for Agholor money and the WR market went dry. 

the problem is if we see him as Brown/Sanders/JuJu then he is a $5-$8M a year player. 

he might see himself as at least Fuller. 

now that he is the top remaining guy, will someone offer him $8-$10M even for one year to hit the market again next year? If so then I think he leaves. 

All he needs is a competitive team with a good strong armed QB.  

After every signing I get more annoyed with the lack of moves. I understand we shouldn’t except any big money moves but Ballard must really have this plan in his head that’s going to bring us 2 quality DE and a LT at the very least. Assuming we sign TY and Rhodes we still should want to upgrade the DEs from last year and so far, that isn’t happening 

18 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Yes but I think the last part you said is our reality as colts fans. “If this team really wants to upgrade a little through FA”- the answer to this is no. We don’t. We look at our upgrades mainly being through draft and development and FA is simply to add 3-5 bargain players per off-season to hopefully give major value for their contract (Autry example) or to rehab (Rhodes example).

I also think we have to recognize we have back to back seasons w big trades. We traded for a top-of the market 3-tech and extended him to a massive deal and then traded for a Qb and a young possible franchise one at that. 

those are two rare and uncharacteristic moves. So FA is going to be a continual disappointment to all of us sadly.  

i agree with you except wrs better then all our guys have signed for 7 million a year or less ........  same with many positions we need badly .  fuller was signed for what rhodes signed for last year and he is younger and it was a one year deal so next year the money is off the cap to sign players .   we could of gotten a pass rusher wr , and corner for under 25 million and had 9 million come off next year to pay guys ..... i trust ballard but i do not understand what is left that would work for us .   we still need two outside corners two starting defensive ends a true number 1 wr  .  i get we have some young guys on the roster but we should sign some vets to one or two year deals until they develop and prove themselves because they can end up being busts still

In defense of how things played out with Fuller....

I think one important thing not to be overlooked or discounted is that Fuller picked Denver, in part, because their head coach is Vic Fangio.   He was Fuller’s DC in Chicago during his best years.   That relationship had to be a factor.   Just like the Colts and TYH, and hopefully the same with Rhodes. 

15 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Are we forgetting the part where players aren't forced to want to come to Indianapolis regardless of what Ballard offers

money talks though i doubt players will reject the colts if they have the best offer .  WE have a good team also so there is no reason to not wanna come .   the whole argument saying it cant compete with nice weather teams never made sense to me because most players have two houses . One house in their home town or a off season house , and the off season is 6 months and the season is 6 months so they can live in a nice city half the year . plus these guys retire in their 30s and live where ever they want

14 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

We could have had Fuller for 9.5 million? Come on, throw us a bone!!

I don't think we had a chance with Fuller, with how fast he signed on with his old DC Fangio. He wanted to go to Denver, only way we would of gotten him is if we offered huge money which Ballard isn't going to do

Just now, coming on strong said:

money talks though i doubt players will reject the colts if they have the best offer .  WE have a good team also so there is no reason to not wanna come .   the whole argument saying it cant compete with nice weather teams never made sense to me because most players have two houses . One house in their home town or a off season house , and the off season is 6 months and the season is 6 months so they can live in a nice city half the year . plus these guys retire in their 30s and live where ever they want

There's more to Free Agency than money

Scheme fit, playing time, personnel familiarity, coaching ties, etc etc

You can't speak for them

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In defense of how things played out with Fuller....

I think one important thing not to be overlooked or discounted is that Fuller picked Denver, in part, because their head coach is Vic Fangio.   He was Fuller’s DC in Chicago during his best years.   That relationship had to be a factor.   Just like the Colts and TYH, and hopefully the same with Rhodes. 

Beat me to it

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps...,   But isn’t there a famous poker saying that you don’t play your hand, you play your opponent?    Something close to that? 

Yeah you do, one of the greatest showing of playing the player was watching phil Helmuth pretty much have a melt down at the end of the poker tournament 

4 minutes ago, tvturner said:

There's more to Free Agency than money

Scheme fit, playing time, personnel familiarity, coaching ties, etc etc

You can't speak for them

you 're the one making assumptions that the colts are offering deals to people but they are turning them down when that has not been reported .  plus ballard would not offer players deals that do not fight our scheme , and did not offer them playing time .

3 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I'm glad Rhodes signed after we missed on the others, but I have my doubts whether it will look like a smart move next season. I hope he continues to play well.

I hope we bring back Carrie. I think we will need that depth.

I like Carrie, thought he gave us a good season.   But I think his return is 50/50 at best.   Because I think we have high expectations for Tell and Taylor.  I think the Colts hope they take TJ’s snaps.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like Carrie, thought he gave us a good season.   But I think his return is 50/50 at best.   Because I think we have high expectations for Tell and Taylor.  I think the Colts hope they take TJ’s snaps.   

The return of Tell is the wild card in the DB rotation 

19 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

We rolling

Less than an hour after Fuller agrees to a one year deal.  Coincidence I doubt it.  And that’s okay.  At least he resigned.  Will be curious to see his deal.    Now that Golladay has signed maybe we can get TY back soon as well. 

One thing that has stood out to me this year is that a lot of players are signing cheaper contracts to either stay put or sign with a prior coach. I think its pretty clear a lot of these guys are realizing the money isn't there this year, they're taking less now to put themselves into a more favorable situation to play well and land a bigger contract next year.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Less than an hour after Fuller agrees to a one year deal.  Coincidence I doubt it.  And that’s okay.  At least he resigned.  Will be curious to see his deal.    Now that Golladay has signed maybe we can get TY back soon as well. 

I would expect TY maybe 1 year too

Just now, Shive said:

One thing that has stood out to me this year is that a lot of players are signing cheaper contracts to either stay put or sign with a prior coach. I think its pretty clear a lot of these guys are realizing the money isn't there this year, they're taking less now to put themselves into a more favorable situation to play well and land a bigger contract next year.

Yes an when one thinks about it, it makes alot of sense for Rhodes to re-sign with us because of how comfortable he is with the scheme. If he went to another team, struggled to get aclimated, he would lose out on alot of potential money in 2022. It makes sense for him to sign with the Colts.. and it makes sense for the Colts to sign him lol

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Let's call it the Nelson Agholor effect

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Oh now you did it you posted logical facts. You know we can’t have that here. Haha

Archived