Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson Officially Requests Trade

EastStreet

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Myles said:

If Watson really wanted out, he shouldn't have signed the big contract in September and took all that money.   

I'll be rooting for Watson to lose in all this.  

If I am the Texans, I would turn down 99 farms offered for him and be fine if he forfeits all future money and stay home for the remaining of his contract. 

But being this is the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if this is driven by a behind the scene agenda. 

The Texans have stubbled and fallen over player acquisitions since day one of their franchise which I remember well. They even had helmets for sale in all the stores that were egg shell white with small symbols on their helmets. The current line of crap is to quell the masses by lying about wanting to keep him playing the role of a loyal Texans supporter. Watson will be the deserter. Having listened to 610 sports radio all these years complaining about almost everything and not even attempting to say they stood a chance to beat the Colts every year this latest disaster and I mean disaster, this town will never forget. They are the Detroit Lions of the AFC. The key: They could never solve the problems they carried no matter what they were. I wish Watson & Watt success in the future.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:12 AM, Myles said:

If Watson really wanted out, he shouldn't have signed the big contract in September and took all that money.   

I'll be rooting for Watson to lose in all this.  

This is going to be a case of Keyshawn Johnson than a case of Carson Palmer. Remember when Jon Gruden asked Keyshawn to just sit on the bench?? 

Yes, BOB messed up with the Hopkins trade and McNair let it happen but for Watson to insist he should be part of the GM hire or head coaching hire, that suggests he is not staying in his lane. If he handled these things privately instead of publicly by going to McNair and having a conversation, it would be viewed differently as well, and he might have come out of it better, IMO.

I understand, from 11-5 to 10-6 to 4-12 they have fallen. Bad defense, Hopkins gone but I see similar things happened with Matthew Stafford but he never complained despite being on a bad Lions organization that had turnovers with head coaching, OCs, DCs and players galore and for the most part, the management decisions were sub-par. That is also why the ownership wanted to do good by him, IMO.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is going to be a case of Keyshawn Johnson than a case of Carson Palmer. Remember when Jon Gruden asked Keyshawn to just sit on the bench?? 

Yes, BOB messed up with the Hopkins trade and McNair let it happen but for Watson to insist he should be part of the GM hire or head coaching hire, that suggests he is not staying in his lane. If he handled these things privately instead of publicly by going to McNair and having a conversation, it would be viewed differently as well, and he might have come out of it better, IMO.

Even after that took place Watson signed a huge contract.  For me, like most, that was the straw that broke O'Briens back.  He did enough stupid moves before that, but I think that one trumped all others.  Watson should have made his stand then.    I have no sympathy for him.

DW does have some leverage here.  He is willing to sit out, plus a no trade clause to steer where he wants to go.  He cant be too picky though, most teams will be priced out of the trade market.

I doubt he plays for the Texans again.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:31 PM, Thebrashandthebold said:

They traded Hopkins and Clowney and got nothing worthwhile in return. Hopkins might have been the best WR in the NFL this past season. That is enough to want to get out and he can only do that by outing management. I don't blame him for that at all. It is all part of the game.

You don't have to out anyone, to get out. You simply tell them you'll sit if they don't trade you. Making a huge stink only puts a cloud on both parties. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You don't have to out anyone, to get out. You simply tell them you'll sit if they don't trade you. Making a huge stink only puts a cloud on both parties. 

I don't agree with that. That management in Houston is awful and it always has been. The QB needs to let the fans and other teams know that he wants out. If he doesn't, they will just ignore him and he will have to hold out. They will like that because they don't have to pay him. That is why everyone who wants out makes it all public and they certainly should.

4 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I don't agree with that. That management in Houston is awful and it always has been. The QB needs to let the fans and other teams know that he wants out. If he doesn't, they will just ignore him and he will have to hold out. They will like that because they don't have to pay him. That is why everyone who wants out makes it all public and they certainly should.

Stafford wanted out. He got out. 

Watson took things out of the clubhouse and looks like a drama queen to many. He painted a picture of some horrible organization. They got rid of GM and HC that everyone complained about. Now, that horrible organization has, in the last month, become a model for minority hiring by promoting Culley to HC, Love to DC, and Pep to QB coach. And by all accounts, Watson had a good relationship with Kelly, the OC. It's almost a whole new FO and coaching staff.

It's a business. If you think leaking stories, and tweeting is the way to go now, that's pretty sad.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Stafford wanted out. He got out. 

Watson took things out of the clubhouse and looks like a drama queen to many. He painted a picture of some horrible organization. They got rid of GM and HC that everyone complained about. Now, that horrible organization has, in the last month, become a model for minority hiring by promoting Culley to HC, Love to DC, and Pep to QB coach. And by all accounts, Watson had a good relationship with Kelly, the OC. It's almost a whole new FO and coaching staff.

It's a business. If you think leaking stories, and tweeting is the way to go now, that's pretty sad.

Interesting take on the Texans situation, but as far as I understand the story, this is now about Cal McNair telling Watson twice that he'd be in on the decisions and twice he wasn't. And there's the Easterby guy who's now Ryan Grigson levels of disliked that's not helping the thing.

I wouldn't presume to know who the bad guy, such as it is, is in that story. Maybe there isn't a bad guy? I don't think Watson did anything wrong by signing his 100 mill+ contract. That's what one does.

Honestly, a minor lament I have of Andrew Luck's time here (not to do a 180), is that he didn't point out that he was the most important guy in the franchise and as such, his relationship with the GM could have been more his mouth to Grigson's ear. Team friendly to a fault almost, given that raging dysfunction that's documented now. I think Watson's story parallel's the Luck story in some ways, but Watson is trying something different. And think of the Texans fans who rooted for Luck to do to us what Watson is doing... I'm not gonna say karma, but one could make that case..

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Interesting take on the Texans situation, but as far as I understand the story, this is now about Cal McNair telling Watson twice that he'd be in on the decisions and twice he wasn't. And there's the Easterby guy who's now Ryan Grigson levels of disliked that's not helping the thing.

I wouldn't presume to know who the bad guy, such as it is, is in that story. Maybe there isn't a bad guy? I don't think Watson did anything wrong by signing his 100 mill+ contract. That's what one does.

From all accounts, he was promised he would be allowed to give input. He gave input. They went another way. Being allowed to give input doesn't mean you're sitting in on every discussion, or that your input will be the recommendation chosen. He wasn't happy with the GM hire (what team owner in their right mind would let a player dictate a GM hire). He wanted Bieniemy, who has a long list of off field issues, and wasn't happy when he didn't get a first round interview. 

Regardless, he was allowed to be part of the process and give input. Nobody promised him that his input would be the choice.

Sorry, but he was just professing love for the org when he signed his contract 5ish months ago. He signed that contract 6 months after the boneheaded move with Hopkins. To me, not much changed in the last 6 months except they didn't hire his choices for GM and HC. The org just didn't go to hell in the last 6 months. If he was unhappy before, he shouldn't have signed. And if you sign, you should fulfill your commitment. 

Easterby might be strange, but I doubt he's the boogie man that all the pro-Watson folks are saying. Does a bad person go and make Houston's staff one of the most diverse staffs in the NFL?

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly, a minor lament I have of Andrew Luck's time here (not to do a 180), is that he didn't point out that he was the most important guy in the franchise and as such, his relationship with the GM could have been more his mouth to Grigson's ear. Team friendly to a fault almost, given that raging dysfunction that's documented now. I think Watson's story parallel's the Luck story in some ways, but Watson is trying something different. And think of the Texans fans who rooted for Luck to do to us what Watson is doing... I'm not gonna say karma, but one could make that case..

Luck was a professional. He could have worked the FO privately if he wanted (and likely did), and had Irsay's ear. He'd never be a diva or drama queen. 

Sorry, I don't like me guys. Neither Mahomes or Brady are "me" guys. They go about their business and are humble. Always playing up others. Heck, Brady never pushed for huge contracts so they could spend money in other places. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Seems like anytime you speak out any kind of way, those labels come. 

I haven't followed every minute detail of the Watson situation, but I'm not sure he's even gone so far as to "speak out." It's obvious that he's made requests of the team, and is currently at odds with the staff. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:55 AM, BlackTiger said:

I dont think Watson has been a diva.  He and JJ Watt made it pretty clear the locker room and front office were both pretty toxic.  They are worried about their careers going to waste in an organization that is known for wasting careers.

Then why did he sign a huge contract extension in September?

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Then why did he sign a huge contract extension in September?

I dont see how that is relevant.  The locker room turned toxic afterwards and he is worried his career is going to waste on not just a bad roster, but a badly managed team. 

I dont mind a player asking for a trade when the situation is that bad, I think what Luck did to the Colts is worse than DW asking for a trade now.

Some of his own teammates even publicly supported his trade request.

We all know why people are calling him a diva. He is as far from that as anyone in the NFL. The guy gave a game check to cafeteria workers. What "diva" would do that?

I don't agree at all with his requesting a trade; in fact, I hope the Texans don't trade him to make Watson honor his contract. But calling him a "diva" is inappropriate, but not at all surprising. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:55 AM, BlackTiger said:

I dont think Watson has been a diva.  He and JJ Watt made it pretty clear the locker room and front office were both pretty toxic.  They are worried about their careers going to waste in an organization that is known for wasting careers.

NFL diva=a player who whines to the media instead of going to the front office. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

NFL diva=a player who whines to the media instead of going to the front office. 

He actually has not said much at all to the media.  He requested a trade, probably through his agent.  That doesnt make him a diva to me

JJ watt was the one calling out the team on air.

46 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont see how that is relevant.  The locker room turned toxic afterwards and he is worried his career is going to waste on not just a bad roster, but a badly managed team. 

I dont mind a player asking for a trade when the situation is that bad, I think what Luck did to the Colts is worse than DW asking for a trade now.

Some of his own teammates even publicly supported his trade request.

That's not true.   The Texans have made poor decisions for years.  They traded his good friend (Hopkins) well before September.   Watson still signed a contract to play for the Texans.  He signed on to be the QB of the team even though he knew of the disfunction.  

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's not true.   The Texans have made poor decisions for years.  They traded his good friend (Hopkins) well before September.   Watson still signed a contract to play for the Texans.  He signed on to be the QB of the team even though he knew of the disfunction.  

There is a difference from Front office being incompetent and being toxic.

The route they are on now seems pretty bad. The toxic route.

It is far worse than their less than smart days. Although now they seem toxic and not very smart.

Watson is not a diva, all accounts from within the NFL say he is not. Some fans may perceive it that way, but fans perception vs reality in the NFL is not exactly always accurate, The Texans are a dumpster fire to say the least with a former Chaplin giving football advice directly to the owners ear.

4 hours ago, w87r said:

It is far worse than their less than smart days. Although now they seem toxic and not very smart.

That may be true, but it didn't happen after September when Watson signed on to be part of it.  

5 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

He actually has not said much at all to the media.  He requested a trade, probably through his agent.  That doesnt make him a diva to me

JJ watt was the one calling out the team on air.

Lol. Yet JJ Watt is not the one that was named a diva. I don't think either one is, but it is noteworthy that JJ Watt was not called a diva and Watson was. 

4 hours ago, w87r said:

I read that the players were also upset that the Texans fired the equipment staff. 

The Texans are a mess. I still believe Watson should play for the Texans. 

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

That may be true, but it didn't happen after September when Watson signed on to be part of it.  

The ineptness was there amd I think there was starting to show some signs, but I think from there them saying they were going to have him apart of decisions(which I think was probably mentioned in contract talks), then they pretty much gave him the finger. I can see the disdain.

Now since then, if seems to be getting worse and worse, especially with the report today about them firing long time staffers and bringing people in to establish more loyalty. Just seems like it is going down here faster and faster just picking up speed.

https://nfltraderumors.co/texans-focused-on-getting-deshaun-watson-back-period/

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I read that the players were also upset that the Texans fired the equipment staff. 

The Texans are a mess. I still believe Watson should play for the Texans. 

I hope they trade him out of division or he just sits out. Im sure he will report, but will be dealing woth numerous muscles strains/injuries.

Nagging hamstrings and such. That is what I would do if I was him. Still get paid and still cause a disruption.

Still don't understand the Texans thinking, but never have so not to surprised.

If someone doesn't want to play for my team, I am moving on as quick as possible.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

The ineptness was there amd I think there was starting to show some signs, but I think from there them saying they were going to have him apart of decisions(which I think was probably mentioned in contract talks), then they pretty much gave him the finger. I can see the disdain.

Now since then, if seems to be getting worse and worse, especially with the report today about them firing long time staffers and bringing people in to establish more loyalty. Just seems like it is going down here faster and faster just picking up speed.

https://nfltraderumors.co/texans-focused-on-getting-deshaun-watson-back-period/

I hope they trade him out of division or he just sits out. Im sure he will report, but will be dealing woth numerous muscles strains/injuries.

Nagging hamstrings and such. That is what I would do if I was him. Still get paid and still cause a disruption.

Still don't understand the Texans thinking, but never have so not to surprised.

If someone doesn't want to play for my team, I am moving on as quick as possible.

Diversity Black Girl Magic GIF by Chloe x Halle

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Moves like this are why players want out

They also fired the highly thought of, long time PR person, a woman who had a great reputation league wide.   Did it in the middle of the season.   

I think she wrote a social media post expressing happiness with the results of the election.   The owners, who backed the other side, were said to be very unhappy and fired her. 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, Myles said:

Watson still signed a contract to play for the Texans.  He signed on to be the QB of the team even though he knew of the disfunction.  

I dont see why thats a big deal now.  Teams cut and trade players against their will but players cant ask for a trade??  That in itself doesnt make him a diva, and he has not been vocal in the media about this.

JJ Watt is the one being vocal, and it looks like he is right.  He might get cut, I guess him and the team are both divas too for not honoring the contract

56 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont see why thats a big deal now.  Teams cut and trade players against their will but players cant ask for a trade??  That in itself doesnt make him a diva, and he has not been vocal in the media about this.

JJ Watt is the one being vocal, and it looks like he is right.  He might get cut, I guess him and the team are both divas too for not honoring the contract

Watson has been pretty vocal on social media.  

I'm just saying that all the dysfunction happened before he agreed to a huge contract.   He should not have signed.   This was after Hopkins was traded.  

Deshaun Watson signed a 4 year, $156,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $110,717,123 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $39,000,000. In 2021, Watson will earn a base salary of $10,540,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,940,000 and a dead cap value of $67,140,000.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Watson has been pretty vocal on social media.  

I'm just saying that all the dysfunction happened before he agreed to a huge contract.   He should not have signed.   This was after Hopkins was traded.  

Deshaun Watson signed a 4 year, $156,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $110,717,123 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $39,000,000. In 2021, Watson will earn a base salary of $10,540,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,940,000 and a dead cap value of $67,140,000.

I dont see why this matters.  JJ watt is under contract for another year and he wants out too.  He knows the Texans wasted careers of great players before yet he still signed and wants out now

They both know contracts can be moved to other teams

Archived