Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson Officially Requests Trade

EastStreet

55 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think the Texans would be happy to send him to the NFC. 49ers or WFT or even the Panthers might be candidates.

Jets or Broncos will probably be low on Watson's choice list. 

Watson indicated the Jets would be his first choice. He likes Selah a lot and wanted Houston to interview him. The Jets have the #2 overall pick and Darnold to offer. The best package of any team.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article248718210.html

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ultimate coup - Nick Caserio trades Watson to the Patriots for 2 first rounders, Stephon Gilmore and Hightower.

Then, leaves Texans the next year for another first rounder to go join the Patriots to replace a retiring Belichick as GM and Josh McDaniels as HC, and tries to build the next dynasty, bwahahahahahaha!!! haha

Doug Gotlieb had an interesting take on his show today.  He thinks his preferred destination is the Rams.  The trade request went public the day after the Rams put Goeff in the news and their apparent openness to having another QB.  Doug said Watsons agent is the same agent for Jalen Ramsey who eventually helped get his client to the Rams.   Doug thinks there is a connection regarding the timing and he feels the Rams are the perfect spot for him and he thinks that's what he is maneuvering for.  

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You really have to screw up to make a guy like  Watson mad. On top of being a great QB he is a good kid.

Watson's problem is with the owner and particularly, Jack Easterby. 

For all the chatter about the situation in HOU, I'm amazed how little the media

has discussed the role Easterby has played in alienating guys down there.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Doug Gotlieb had an interesting take on his show today.  He thinks his preferred destination is the Rams.  The trade request went public the day after the Rams put Goeff in the news and their apparent openness to having another QB.  Doug said Watsons agent is the same agent for Jalen Ramsey who eventually helped get his client to the Rams.   Doug thinks there is a connection regarding the timing and he feels the Rams are the perfect spot for him and he thinks that's what he is maneuvering for.  

@w87r

Did you see this 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

@w87r

Did you see this 

I saw it earlier.

Watson only has a $10.5m 2021 cap hit to team he is traded to.

Everyone wants to be the one to break news and seem important.

Never thought too much about Doug Gottlieb, tbh.

Did any of y'all read the Senior Bowl Day 3 article on stampede blue?

Here's a quote from it 

"Easterby is alleged to have sent texts like an abusive lover to this agent’s client but after he got no response (from an alpha-male- professional athlete- millionaire in his 20’s) Easterby took the time out of his day to then text the player's mother to let her know how concerned he was with the player's life choices. Seriously."

I have the sneaking suspicion that the player is Deshaun Watson, because having a random front office person texting your mom would make sense why he would want out.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/28/22254545/senior-bowl-diary-day-3-texans-executive-jack-easterby-is-unhinged

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

I saw it earlier.

Watson only has a $10.5m 2021 cap hit to team he is traded to.

Everyone wants to be the one to break news and seem important.

Never thought too much about Doug Gottlieb, tbh.

Screw it. 3 number 1s and number 3 picks. Plus Eason. Do it Ballard

A recent opinion from a pundit posted less than a day ago:

The hardest of deadlines comes by April 29. That's the first round of the draft, and it would be actual business malpractice if the Texans get to the first round with Watson on the roster knowing good and well he's not playing for them in 2021 and beyond.  Because Watson will be worth some combination of three first-round picks plus other picks, it would be best for the Texans to at least know exactly what pick(s) they can get in the 2021 draft. Miami, for example, holds the No. 3 and 18 overall picks, but their future first-round pick could very well be in the late 20s with Watson as their quarterback.

17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would prefer Stafford over Darnold also, as he is a seasoned veteran  and still has some mileage left in that 32 year old body.  By that time he's thru playing for us, Eason should be more than ready to take the helm, unless he gets traded.  

Stafford is better

Darnold is cheaper and would cost less

And the Texans GM says nope we won’t trade you.  Now Watson really only has one action left available to him and that’s to say okay I won’t play.  He can do that but I don’t think he’s ready to end his career and he has to play so many games a year to get a year credited towards his contract and given the number of years on his contract it will be a long time until he runs them out.  That’s why I’ve been saying Watson doesn’t really have the leverage to be able to force a trade.  

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And the Texans GM says nope we won’t trade you.  Now Watson really only has one action left available to him and that’s to say okay I won’t play.  He can do that but I don’t think he’s ready to end his career and he has to play so many games a year to get a year credited towards his contract and given the number of years on his contract it will be a long time until he runs them out.  That’s why I’ve been saying Watson doesn’t really have the leverage to be able to force a trade.  

For those who use the trading of Hopkins as one of the excuses for Watson to be unhappy have to remember that Watson signed his big contract AFTER the Hopkins trade. 

All of the stuff that Watson seems to be POed about happened BEFORE he signed the big contract. 

Personally I think Watson should embrace the challenge and take control of HIS team.

The players and the fan base love Watson. 

The fan base deserves better treatment no doubt.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For those who use the trading of Hopkins as one of the excuses for Watson to be unhappy have to remember that Watson signed his big contract AFTER the Hopkins trade. 

All of the stuff that Watson seems to be POed about happened BEFORE he signed the big contract. 

Personally I think Watson should embrace the challenge and take control of HIS team.

The players and the fan base love Watson. 

The fan base deserves better treatment no doubt.

I got that he was mad that the owner promised they would listen to him about the coaching hire and felt lied too.  I am not saying he’s right or wrong to ask for that promise but if the owner promised that and then didn’t do it I can see why he’s mad.  With that said as you pointed he signed the contract and in doing so pretty much gave up any real leverage he had.  

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I got that he was mad that the owner promised they would listen to him about the coaching hire and felt lied too.  I am not saying he’s right or wrong to ask for that promise but if the owner promised that and then didn’t do it I can see why he’s mad.  With that said as you pointed he signed the contract and in doing so pretty much gave up any real leverage he had.  

My understanding is it goes much deeper than just input on coaching hires.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

He can do that but I don’t think he’s ready to end his career and he has to play so many games a year to get a year credited towards his contract and given the number of years on his contract it will be a long time until he runs them out.

At this point an accrued season really doesn't matter for Watson. He has already signed a long term deal. Losing an accrued season really matters when players are in the last year of their deal. If he is prepared to lose money this year, which I think he is, then the Texans will and should move on from him.

With the new CBA, players that don't report to training camp lose a year of service, the Le'Veon Bell hold out till week 8 or 9 and still get credit for the year doesn't matter any more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29553309/expect-nfl-training-camp-holdouts-2020-why-to-do-coronavirus%3fplatform=amp

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

My understanding is it goes much deeper than just input on coaching hires.

At this point an accrued season really doesn't matter for Watson. He has already signed a long term deal. Losing an accrued season really matters when players are in the last year of their deal. If he is prepared to lose money this year, which I think he is, then the Texans will and should move on from him.

With the new CBA, players that don't report to training camp lose a year of service, the Le'Veon Bell hold out till week 8 or 9 and still get credit for the year doesn't matter any more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29553309/expect-nfl-training-camp-holdouts-2020-why-to-do-coronavirus%3fplatform=amp

I wouldn’t be so sure of that.  The Texans hold the cards.  They can play hardball and say we aren’t trading you and let him sit at home.  I have a feeling they view this up coming year as a rebuilding year anyways and not having their starting QB might not be the end of the world in that regard.  It all depends on how determined they are not to trade him.  So I wouldn’t say it’s a fact they will move on from him.  They could play real hard ball with him and I wouldn’t be shocked if they do.  You don’t find QBs like Watson everyday.

57 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a pure Colts fan I hope Watson sits out forever. 

It would be nice not having to face him two times a year not to mention the playoffs.

As a football fan it would be sad for him not to be on the field. 

If I was in his shoes I wouldn't play another down for that goofball organization. He wants out and now they say they won't trade him. They took Hopkins away from him so that alone shows me they have no idea what they are doing. They are wasting a pure talent who is arguably a top 5 QB in the league today.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that.  The Texans hold the cards.  They can play hardball and say we aren’t trading you and let him sit at home.  I have a feeling they view this up coming year as a rebuilding year anyways and not having their starting QB might not be the end of the world in that regard.  It all depends on how determined they are not to trade him.  So I wouldn’t say it’s a fact they will move on from him.  They could play real hard ball with him and I wouldn’t be shocked if they do.  You don’t find QBs like Watson everyday.

I get it, I just don't think it is worth it in the end. Why would you even want someone to play for your team thay didn't want to. Should want players that are 100% in it.

He could just report and claim to have a small nagging injury and sit out, and collect his money.

Just not worth it for a new regime, IMO.  Move on get your huge compensation package and start over with QB on rookie deal.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I get it, I just don't think it is worth it in the end. Why would you even want someone to play for your team thay didn't want to. Should want players that are 100% in it.

He could just report and claim to have a small nagging injury and set out, and collect his money.

Just not worth it for a new regime, IMO.  Move on get your huge compensation package and start over with QB on rookie deal.

Well I would have never let it get to this place in the first place so I am not sure I am the right person to ask that too lol.  I mean it really depends on how stubborn and vindictive the Texans want to be.  I don’t think it’s a good look to tick off your star QB off and then say no we won’t trade you because we aren’t going to let players run this franchise (good luck getting any other player to come there again) however I don’t have the ego of some NFL Owners or GMs either.  

My main point is Watson can say he wants a trade but he has no real power to make the Texans trade him if they choose to be difficult.  If they want to trade him it’s going to be because they decided it’s in their best interest, which they very well might.  That doesn’t mean Watson can’t hold out and try to put pressure on them, he can, the Texans can also choose to ignore that if they wish and put the screws to him.  Further more if Watson retires the Texans can say they want close to $20 million back and I don’t think he’s going to get the Andrew Luck treatment if he goes that route.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was in his shoes I wouldn't play another down for that goofball organization. He wants out and now they say they won't trade him. They too Hopkins away from him so that alone shows me they have no idea what they are doing. They are wasting a pure talent who is arguably a top 5 QB in the league today.

They traded Hopkins away before Watson signed the big contract. 

Before O'Brian was named the GM they won a lot of games and O'Brian was a very good head coach. 

He is no longer there so he is not in charge now. 

I don't understand your hatred of the Texans? 

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He could also pull a Barry Sanders and just not play. He also has a no trade clause. What does Houston get out of it by not trading him to where he wants to go. They could multiple picks for him. That organization puzzles me.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not sure I am the right person to ask that too lol.

It was more of a question for Texans GM and his internal thinking, not you. Just asked in a general sense. 

I know I wouldn't want someone on my team that doesn't want to be there. Especially if I could get a huge return and just turn the page.

I just see them moving on, would be the smartest move the franchise has done in a while.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He could also pull a Barry Sanders and just not play. He also has a no trade clause. What does Houston get out of it by not trading him to where he wants to go. They could multiple picks for him. That organization puzzles me.

Your last sentence is exactly why I don’t rule out them playing hardball.  This isn’t a well run organization.  It’s a mess and they might very well put the screws to Watson because of that.  

As for him pulling a Barry Sanders the Texans can attempt to recoup 21.6 million from him if he retires.  

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/28/deshaun-watson-options-leave-texans/

I don’t care who you are that’s a huge chunk of money especially if you are “retired”.  I also doubt the Texans would give him the Andrew Luck treatment and just let him keep it.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

They traded Hopkins away before Watson signed the big contract. 

Before O'Brian was named the GM they won a lot of games and O'Brian was a very good head coach. 

He is no longer there so he is not in charge now. 

I don't understand your hatred of the Texans? 

Because they are a bad organization, I would not of traded Hopkins in a million years and if I have a QB that wants out then I trade him for picks and make my team better. It isn't hatred, it is about business and common sense. They can do what they want but is a mess there and they are wasting away a great talent in a guy that is borderline great in Watson. 

Just now, w87r said:

It was more of a question for Texans GM and his internal thinking, not you. Just asked in a general sense. 

I know I wouldn't want someone on my team that doesn't want to be there. Especially if I could get a huge return and just turn the page.

I just see them moving on, would be the smartest move the franchise has done in a while.

I wouldn’t either but the Texans aren’t exactly the most well run organization in sports.  I think if they play hardball it will be more about pride than wanting him at that point and the way the Texans are run I wouldn’t rule it out.  

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because they are a bad organization, I would not of traded Hopkins in a million years and if I have a QB that wants out then I trade him for picks and make my team better. It isn't hatred, it is about business and common sense. They can do what they want but is a mess there and they are wasting away a great talent in a guy that is borderline great in Watson. 

They wasn't known as a bad organization till O'Brian gained too much control. 

He is fired so the cancer has been removed. 

It has yet to be determined how the new people in charge will do. 

If Watson don't play it is him who is wasting his talent away, not the Texans. He signed his name on a contract, it was his choice.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They wasn't known as a bad organization till O'Brian gained too much control. 

He is fired so the cancer has been removed. 

It has yet to be determined how the new people in charge will do. 

If Watson don't play it is him who is wasting his talent away, not the Texans. He singed his name on a contract, it was his choice.

True, he signed a contract and when he did it, I said to everyone in here he was making a gigantic mistake. To your point he is under contract and that was his decision. To my point if I have a great player that isn't happy, I trade him for several 1st round picks or some 2nd's. I want my team to be good and happy, that is just me.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t either but the Texans aren’t exactly the most well run organization in sports.  I think if they play hardball it will be more about pride than wanting him at that point and the way the Texans are run I wouldn’t rule it out.  

Yeah, I almost ended my last post with:

Moving on would be the smartest move they've made in a while. Then was going to say, nvm, they'll probably do something dumb. 

Archived