Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wildcard Weekend: Colts @ Bills, Jan. 9, 2021, 1:05 PM EST

NFLfan

I am crazy disappointed, but imho, it’s lunacy to try and put this loss on Rivers. I think he balled out today!

-Reich failure to take 3. 
-Turay brain fart resulting in 4 more points.

-Blankenship missed FG

-Frank’s giving away a time out with a mind boggling bad challenge. 

Game of inches and at the end of the day, Colts came up short. On to next year!

Oh, and go Chiefs!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm really curious about the time out situation at the end. So the Bills got their time out back because the booth called one first? But the time out came literally just before the snap so how did it come first? 

That said if I'm being picky I thought Pascal fumbled so it goes both ways I guess. It's amazing we got back in it the way we did. I know there is going to be a lot of what it's from people but we put the fear into the no. 2 seed today. We played a more complete game than we probably have all year. It just came down to mistakes. The Pittman drop, The Blackmon INT, Turay's offsides. I wish we could have those back, but we can't. It's over we showed up today, we put on a show for fans around the league, it just wasn't our time.

8 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Rivers is the one that kept the Colts in this game.  Colts would be stupid to move on from him.

I would say it was the big runs by Hines and Taylor. Hines ran the ball farther than Phil can throw haha 

• Haha 1

Just now, rockywoj said:

I am crazy disappointed, but imho, it’s lunacy to try and put this loss on Rivers. I think he balled out today!

-Blankenship missed FG

Oh, and go Chiefs!

Well said, it was a TEAM loss. And a disappointing one. On to next year!

• Thanks 1

All I can hope for is that Irsay and Ballard decide to relieve Reich of being the head coach altogether. He has not proved to be what we need, we have too much talent on this team to have limped into the playoffs in the first place and then to lose this game in the manner in which we did is just on his inability to play to the teams strengths. 

I just really want a new head coach.

• Thanks 2

Just now, rockywoj said:

-Blankenship missed FG

Game of inches at an the end of the day, Colts came up short. On to next year!

I agree with your bullet points (the challenge was brutal and we need that timeout at the end) but still think we need an upgrade at Qb. Rivers simply can’t make the plays or throws that elite qbs can make. Watching Josh Allen make plays over and over compared to Rivers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

-Blankenship missed FG

Absolutely. Rivers played well enough to win this game. Shouldn’t have to account for coaching being a problem. I haven’t even included that challenge in my posts. My lord that was terrible. What in the good lord’s name was he doing on that?

7 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

Well definitely not the way I wanted to see the season end. We should have won this game had it not been for crucial mistakes and bad play calling.  Not sure where we go from here, too bummed to think of anything at the moment.

It's been a fun season, just sad to see it end this way.

They played well..too bad the Colts were not in the NFC; they would have won multiple playoff games. I love your running game and Mack will be back next year. I think the defense needs some reinforcements.  Eventually the Colts will get a QB, but I think Rivers can play another year.

• Like 2

Just now, dw49 said:

That was a horrible drive with 2:40 left on the clock.

It really was, personally I put that on Rivers because that's why you pay a QB big money is to make those end of game drives, but I understand if others think its on Reich either way like you said "That was a horrible drive with 2:40 left on the clock."

Almost seems like for years and years we have an issue in short goal-line punching it in.  We need big body that can go into beast mode and plow through or bowl over these defenses.  With our OL, there is no excuse for not running over people when we need 2 yards.  Even an option or something to stretch it out...we do have speed.  I just don't get it.

We took a really good team to the wire, in their house, in the playoffs.  It's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you think it is.

The Bills aren't as elite as everyone thought, and the Colts proved that today.  And the Colts aren't NEARLY as bad as some of you are trying to make them right now.  Remember that Reich, Rivers, and everyone else on the team GOT us this far.

Despite numerous mistakes, the Colts were still in the game in the final 2 min, against one of the best teams in the NFL.  It was a good season and nobody is going to convince me otherwise.  :hat:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

All I can hope for is that Irsay and Ballard decide to relieve Reich of being the head coach altogether. He has not proved to be what we need, we have too much talent on this team to have limped into the playoffs in the first place and then to lose this game in the manner in which we did is just on his inability to play to the teams strengths. 

I just really want a new head coach.

Who would you hire that is better? because you don't want to be the Lions and fire Jim Caldwell then become a worse team

Ok folks!

Let's give credits for this team. We ended 11-5, which is great. Mostly we could hang around with good teams.

In playoffs you must play almost flawlesss, and we did a way to many mistakes to win it, still we were close to it.

Ballard needs improve this team at few posts, but I don't think we're too far away from being a serious SB contender.

Good night folks... Oh sorry, good afternoon!

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We took a really good team to the wire, in their house, in the playoffs.  It's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you think it is.

The Bills aren't as elite as everyone thought, and the Colts proved that today.  And the Colts aren't NEARLY as bad as some of you are trying to make them right now.  Remember that Reich, Rivers, and everyone else on the team GOT us this far.

Despite numerous mistakes, the Colts were still in the game in the final 2 min, against one of the best teams in the NFL.  It was a good season and nobody is going to convince me otherwise.  :hat:

Honestly, my whole family watched the game and weren’t impressed with the Bills on either side of the ball. They just didn’t make a big mistake and their head coach didn’t make any bone headed decisions.

• Like 2

I can't say Rivers lost us anything.  

If I have to give it to one person - Frank.  The stupid penalties... When will it end?  That's coaching.  Not taking the 3.  We got the 2 back, but the decision was stupid.  The challenge - no TOs.  The final drive with no TOs was about as poorly run as I've seen.  He played the game panicked, and it cost us, but then didn't play panicked enough the final drive when he needed to.

Rodrigo is a good guy, but I'm not sure he's the dude.  Unless he's Vinatieri, no reason to marry yourself to a kicker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

It just pains me that coaching lost the game

That's what you get when you hire a guy that wasn't even on like a 20 potential coaching candidates list. 

This game is also on Josh McDaniels....he's  the reason we reached the bottom of the barrel.

He's also responsible for eberfus,  I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DiogoSales said:

Defense played great.

We hang there with a team that most of us said would destroy us.

Positive season, great game, let's go to 2021, I trust Ballard.

I only trust Ballard if he let's Frank go. His decisions cost us three to four games and the year before he let Vinny cost us games. Time for a new coach period. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Who would you hire that is better? because you don't want to be the Lions and fire Jim Caldwell then become a worse team

Always a calculated decision. Keeping him could make us a worse team also. I do however think someone like Chris Petersen would be a good hire IMO. Maybe even Kyle Whittingham of Utah? I think there are a handful of college guys I’d rather go with than Reich, and a handful of guys in the NFL I’d rather see us go with. Vrabel would have I think been the better choice of Reich back then, I’d even venture to say Eberflus would be better at HC than Reich because I see him as someone smart enough to hire better coordinators around him. Again, if Reich wasn’t the offensive play caller maybe he would be a better HC.

I always try to be upbeat and encourage positivity.

Having said that,  if I'm being honest,  I did not expect us to win.   I was hopeful, but didn't really expect it.   

It was a much better game than I'd expected.   I thought Rivers played well.   I thought Doyle was exceptional.   Coach made a few questionable calls (surprise surprise)  but overall I thought it was a good game, and we just came up short. 

A disappointing way to lose,   not that there's ever a good loss,  but we were competitive up til the end.

• Like 3

Well folks, it's been quite a season! I sincerely hope Rivers is brought back and if so, I look forward to seeing how this team could perform with the guys we get back, and our rookies with a year of NFL experience under their belts.

• Like 5