Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rough Loss to Steelers (merge)

Dasteez

I don’t know how I feel about this one. Just feels like a classic Colts collapse. Either digging out of the 1st half or crumbling in the 2nd. We just don’t consistently beat good teams. The whole 2nd half just felt like the Steelers were imposing their will. How does that happen after 21-7 in the 1st half?

Just now, Dasteez said:

I don’t know how I feel about this one. Just feels like a classic Colts collapse. Either digging out of the 1st half or crumbling in the 2nd. We just don’t consistently beat good teams. The whole 2nd half just felt like the Steelers were imposing their will. How does that happen after 21-7 in the 1st half?

Frank Reich and Rivers were horrible on the offense. Reich was calling plays on 2nd and 5 as if it was 3rd and 20. Rivers can't win us a game and is at most a game manager(I swear if we sign him again I'm gonna flip out). Don't even get me started on the defense. It's by far the most overrated defense in the NFL and can't play a 4 quarter game. People are gonna say I'm overreacting but that was the worst half of football I've seen in a long time. 

1 minute ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Frank Reich and Rivers were horrible on the offense. Reich was calling plays on 2nd and 5 as if it was 3rd and 20. Rivers can't win us a game and is at most a game manager(I swear if we sign him again I'm gonna flip out). Don't even get me started on the defense. It's by far the most overrated defense in the NFL and can't play a 4 quarter game. People are gonna say I'm overreacting but that was the worst half of football I've seen in a long time. 

The problem with our defense is: cornerback (rock), Julian turning from DPOY to a complete nobody, and our linebackers just being bad in coverage.

2 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

after today's game my worries came true. We have no pure pass rushers on the edge i mean sacking Ben only once is unacceptable 

Collapse, I knew yesterday our hearts would get ripped out. That was gut wrenching. Major shakeup coming after this one. Rock, Burton, special teams looked horrible. It’s a loss to the Steelers, these always linger and leave the worst taste in your mouth. It wouldn’t surprise me if Jacksonville sweeps us. Ughhh, so empty feeling. 

Frank and Rivers lost this game.  Yea the Defense played bad the second but who decided to play Rock at corner today.  Frank did.  Why is he still on the team? .  Rivers looked old and it is not going to get better.  We need to go in a different direction next year.  We can’t go into next year with an old man at QB.

6 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

You hit it squarely on the head, Captain! Even if we do somehow make the playoffs, I can't see this Jekyll & Hyde team making any kind of a splash. Pathetic, how we can't seem to play a whole game.

Colts are a 30 minute football team. Reasons why..... 1. only try to run the football one half or the other. You are demoralizing the defense in the first half. Second half, two 3 and outs on 6 straight passes, no runs. 2. The steelers make adjustments on offense, their receivers are open the rest of the game. Defense disappears  with no pressure. 3. This is the part that really sucks and there is no cure for. The officials! They did what needed to be done to tighten up this game. There can be a call on every play of the game due to the physicality of the game. However, how can you help one team score 21 points on three drives . Ok, they threw indy a bone on the last drive, so what! Does that make it all ok?

I predicted a loss with the hopes of a decent victory. I would rather get beat 35 to zero than go out and score 24 points, celebrate like the game is over, only to have the steelers win

18 minutes ago, Dasteez said:

I hate to make excuses the defense collapsed some. But those calls were egregious, and pivotal. The no offensive PI on claypool and the pi where carrie tipped it changed the game. Along with Hilton be ran into at the end and no call. Game zebras. And Riech abandoning the run when we were up ten and could have killed time and stopped Pitts moment was stupid.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

I hate to make excuses the defense collapsed some. But those calls were egregious, and pivotal. The no offensive PI on claypool and the pi where carrie tipped it changed the game. Along with Hilton be ran into at the end and no call. Game zebras. And Riech abandoning the run when we were up ten and could have killed time and stopped Pitts moment was stupid.

River dont belong in a shoot out. Coaching error.

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Collapse, I knew yesterday our hearts would get ripped out. That was gut wrenching. Major shakeup coming after this one. Rock, Burton, special teams looked horrible. It’s a loss to the Steelers, these always linger and leave the worst taste in your mouth. It wouldn’t surprise me if Jacksonville sweeps us. Ughhh, so empty feeling.

I understand I felt like this after the raiders choked trying to help us. If you see the steelers or pats on the schedule we will lose. It sucks.. I have an empty feeling too, I lost motivation. And tomorrow we go back to work after the holiday break and half to laugh off all the football talk. Uhg. Nice end to 2020

9 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

Frank and Rivers lost this game.  Yea the Defense played bad the second but who decided to play Rock at corner today.  Frank did.  Why is he still on the team? .  Rivers looked old and it is not going to get better.  We need to go in a different direction next year.  We can’t go into next year with an old man at QB.

Rock played good and had a potential pick 6 if Claypool didn't interfer and get away with it.

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

You hit it squarely on the head, Captain! Even if we do somehow make the playoffs, I can't see this Jekyll & Hyde team making any kind of a splash. Pathetic, how we can't seem to play a whole game.

I'm already looking to the offseason and if we can keep Brissett(as a bridge QB to mentor the rookie QB and to start the first 6-10 games) draft a QB high to sit for a little bit that would be great, unless this team is confident in Eason. I mean I was looking at this season before it started like a 10-6 maybe get a win in the playoffs but that Rivers would just help us not have a losing record and keep our confidence for the next future QB. So that's looking like what might happen I just hope this Rivers thing is a one time thing. 

It’s a rough loss for so many different reasons.  What I am not going to do is over react because of the frustration and say oh Rivers sucks, the defense sucks, or Frank can’t coach.  Don’t mistake that with me not taking some issue with each today but one bad half doesn’t undo everything else they have done this year.  

This game shows you yet again bad coaching. Simple and plan. Better coaching helps. First half we run press man defense and second half we play majority zone. Like high school zone at that. We gave them at least 5 to 8 yards per play in the second half. It was terrible and we allowed for momentum to build and Ben to establish a rhythm. Offensively you had sound quick plays and runs in the first. Second half we use Taylor less and run terrible plays with longer development even though we had Webb (5th string) in at LT. Bad play calls plus the refs giving benefit to the Steelers equals a bad ending. 

18 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

The problem with our defense is: cornerback (rock), Julian turning from DPOY to a complete nobody, and our linebackers just being bad in coverage.

Blackmon didn't have Willis helping him. Wilson is an okay backup, but is slow.

We need to upgrade upon Anthony Walker IMO with this defense. If we upgrade ILB, CB, and DE, we will be a tough team to score on. 

Our D played pretty good. The refs gave them 2 scores damn near. It was the offensive and defensive play calling that killed us

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s a rough loss for so many different reasons.  What I am not going to do is over react because of the frustration and say oh Rivers sucks, the defense sucks, or Frank can’t coach.  Don’t mistake that with me not taking some issue with each today but one bad half doesn’t undo everything else they have done this year.  

As far as playoffs are concerned, depending on what happens next week, it might.

Pretty good. Our D can be inconsistent, but they are very young and promising. We dont need much more there besides maybe one more good CB and  pass rusher and a bit more time playing. I really like that group.

Our Offense is in the same boat minus for the QB position. Our Oline starters are very good and we have good RB, TE and WR corps. However, the long term QB plan needs to start sooner rather than later. We've been mostly lucky there thse last 2 decades, but it isn't an easy process at all.

14 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This game shows you yet again bad coaching. Simple and plan. Better coaching helps. First half we run press man defense and second half we play majority zone. Like high school zone at that. We gave them at least 5 to 8 yards per play in the second half. It was terrible and we allowed for momentum to build and Ben to establish a rhythm. Offensively you had sound quick plays and runs in the first. Second half we use Taylor less and run terrible plays with longer development even though we had Webb (5th string) in at LT. Bad play calls plus the refs giving benefit to the Steelers equals a bad ending. 

bring in the fact the Frank benched Taylor for missing the block that sacked Rivers... we were out coached again... on both sides... & the one thing I said ... who won the turnover ratio would win the game... Taylor being taken out to me was one of the Keys for the Loss... Rivers turnovers ...

Pretty awesome young stars everywhere, beat NFC 1 seed Green Bay,beat Tenn when both clubs at full strength, beat playoff bound bears handily... 11-5 and going to playoffs and anything can happen as KC looks very vulnerable. Have a ton of cap space to fix holes (O line, DB)..life is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

This was one of the worst ones in a while. I haven't been this upset and mad for a very long time. I don't want to look at anything football related until 1 pm next Sunday. Started off by deleting my fantasy football app cause I was just getting smoked in the Championship. ha

Yea Kamara  ensured I wouldn't  win 

7 minutes ago, CS Coltsfan said:

bring in the fact the Frank benched Taylor for missing the block that sacked Rivers... we were out coached again... on both sides... & the one thing I said ... who won the turnover ratio would win the game... Taylor being taken out to me was one of the Keys for the Loss... Rivers turnovers ...

Frank had no business calling that play action on 1st down deep in there territory. We should have been ruuning JT instead of throwing. Bad coaching. JT had no chance on that block anyway.

38 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

The defensed got gassed by frank abandoning the run game and playing shoot out when we were up by 10. Bad coaching.

Archived