Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Ballard Rein in Reich?

Lucky Colts Fan

Should Ballard rein in Reich?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ballard rein in Reich?

First of all:  let's please appreciate the analogy of "reining in" Reich... like reining in a horse... pulling on the reins of a Colt... ok, moving on...

Second of all:  I want to be clear:  I don't want Reich to be fired, I think he can/will be a great head coach.  Just look at what has happened in Philly since Frank left, it seems he was an integral part of their small window of success.  I think Frank can/will be a fundamental leader in the future success of the Colts franchise.

Third of all:  this is an awkward thread to be making after a huge AFC South win over the Texans, but we need to acknowledge what is going on with this team.  There are things that are not working, but the play-callers (Reich) keep calling the same plays.  You all know I'm talking about: Reich calling Hines-up-the-gut running plays.  I haven't watched ALL the film, and I don't know ALL the advanced metrics, but Hines up the gut seems to have about a 10% success rate, yet Reich keeps calling it over and over every game.  This is unacceptable.

Fourth, and finally:  I don't think Franks' strength is in his play-calling.  Much like Tony Dungy, I think Franks' strength lies in his ability to manage the entire team from a fatherly role.  I don't think Frank needs to micro-manage the offense the way he's been doing so far.

In conclusion:  Ballard should step in and tell Reich to turn the offensive play-calling over to Sirianni.  At best, it takes the blame off Reichs' shoulders, and offers Sirianni the opportunity to prove himself and move up in his NFL coaching career.  At worst, it shows that Sirianni is not a good play-caller and forces the Colts FO to make some changes in the offseason to improve the offensive play-calling, because what we've seen so far makes a few things painfully obvious:  whoever is calling the offensive plays right now isn't doing as good of a job as we (as Colts fans) expect, and it might be better to take a page from Tom Moores' playbook and just give our HoF QB a handful of plays to choose from, and just let Rivers get a look at the defensive alignment, then choose the best play.

What do ya'll think?  Should we take some of the offensive play-calling responsibility out of Reichs hands and put it into the hands of Sirianni and Rivers?

No. As bad as the play calling is and I’ve been calling for a change up at play caller, that’s not an owners role. Irsay should stay on the sidelines. 

at most, this is a discussion that needs to be had at the Ballard, Reich and assistant coach levels. I don’t want a meddling owner

I don’t want Irsay involved in operations except for his unconditional support and check writing ability. Chris Ballard calls the shots for this franchise and that should continue. If the conversation is between he and Frank, then by all means. But to have an aged and often times delirious owner, that knows he hired a great GM, micromanaging said GM is unacceptable to me and should be to all of this fan base...

The owner shouldn't do that.

What I'd like to see is Reich called into Ballard's office and that he also brings the offensive playbook with him.

Ballard then asks Reich to hand over the playbook and then turn to the pages that have any plays that call for Hines to run up the middle. Ballard would then rip those pages out, wad them up, and then toss them into the trash can... And then urinate on them...

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No. As bad as the play calling is and I’ve been calling for a change up at play caller, that’s not an owners role. Irsay should stay on the sidelines. 

at most, this is a discussion that needs to be had at the Ballard, Reich and assistant coach levels. I don’t want a meddling owner

Couldn't agree more, I don't want Irsay turn into a Jerry Jones who has to have his hand on everything. It's a recipe for disaster

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

don’t want Irsay involved in operations except for his unconditional support and check writing ability. Chris Ballard calls the shots for this franchise and that should continue.

2 minutes ago, Pelt said:

The owner shouldn't do that.

What I'd like to see is Reich called into Ballard's office and that he also brings the offensive playbook with him.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Couldn't agree more, I don't want Irsay turn into a Jerry Jones who has to have his hand on everything. It's a recipe for disaster

Ya'll are right.  I should have Ballard instead of Irsay.  That's my bad.

@Nadine @SteelCityColt @NFLfan @w87r @Superman and other mods:  I know it's past the 30 minute window to edit a post/thread, but can I please edit Irsay to Ballard for the purposes of this thread?

The question remains:  should we take the play-calling out of Reichs hands and put them in Siriannis?

Let Frank make the calls like "we're going for it on this 4th down", but put the actual play-call in Siriannis hands.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@Nadine @SteelCityColt @NFLfan @w87r @Superman and other mods:  I know it's past the 30 minute window to edit a post/thread, but can I please edit Irsay to Ballard for the purposes of this thread?

The question remains:  should we take the play-calling out of Reichs hands and put them in Siriannis?

Let Frank make the calls like "we're going for it on this 4th down", but put the actual play-call in Siriannis hands.

Still No

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

To be honest, I’m not even sure I want Ballard involved in that. That’s what Grigson was famous for and I’m not really wanting to risk that crap again

• SteelCityColt changed the title to Should Ballard Rein in Reich?
3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Done 

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I would still say no because we are winning, it doesn't make sense to make the switch especially since you don't know if Sirianni is better. If you make the switch and the play calling gets worse because he is an inexperienced play caller it just looks bad. Not to mention if it's Ballard who tells him to do it because then it becomes well known that Ballard doesn't believe in Frank, which will hurt the team and probably ends with someone getting fired.

51 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

In conclusion:  Irsay should step in and tell Reich to turn the offensive play-calling over to Sirianni.

If Irsay has to step in to manage this team, then why have Ballard? And if Irsay did step in and I was Ballard, I wouldn’t Re-sign my next contract or I may just step down at that point because it’s clear that I couldn’t do my job to the expectations of the owner. I see Irsay doing anything other than allowing CB to do his job and then assess him on how the results of him doing the job, pans out. Undermining your GM is bengals management not most nfl teams management. 

In some cases, the play called was appropriate, but the chosen personnel was not for that particular set. 

Other times, the chosen set itself was the issue. 

The 4th and 1 was okay to go for it, but why shotgun and with Hines? Was it originally called as a pass but Rivers decided to run it instead? 

I think what’s maddening for a lot of folks is that it’s right there, our breakthrough. We’re just slightly off in the choices. 

Taylor was the hot hand, they could’ve continued riding. 

Im glad we got the win. A win always helps. The leaders of the offense need to figure it out though if they want to beat a team like Pittsburgh and even the Raiders. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To be honest, I’m not even sure I want Ballard involved in that. That’s what Grigson was famous for and I’m not really wanting to risk that crap again

I think it’s very appropriate for the GM to assess his coaches playcalling and management of the team, that’s his job. What should be done, and I hope is being done, is for CB and FR to assess each game, win or loss. From that meeting, an open and honest critique of every aspect of the game is discussed.  If CB has the same issues identified and FR hasn’t solved them, it’s upon CB to give him tools to correct them, recognize them, an option for other solutions to change them and from those, the coach decides how to solve it. At the end of the year, CB has to decide whether FR has chosen the proper decisions to succeed. If not, FR has to be dealt with appropriately and if that includes termination because he chose not to adjust based on the philosophy and tools provided by the GM, then so be it. Frank has to make his own choice. If the GM or Irsay dictates what he does, they become micro managers and those aren’t good for anyone. 

The title is a bit... over the top IMO, but I get the sentiment for sure. Reich has been having trouble with his playcalling for a while now. I love him going for it on 4th down, but I honestly cannot stand the selection of plays. The thing is ... I fully believe him when he says that game planning is colaborative process, so the question is... how much of a difference do you expect from Sirianni if we change playcallers? They probably have very similar philosophy about the game and Sirianni would be choosing from the same set of pre-planned plays for those situations. I guess he can be a bit more aggressive but quite honestly I don't believe there would be great deal of change... 

And also... if you don't trust your offensive HC to call your plays, I wonder if you should trust him to be your HC to begin with. I'm still on the fence here...

But look at this:

This is horrible. How can a well respected coach say that? Why would you think they are interchangeable when they have so different skillsets and strengths and weaknesses. Why would you keep calling the same play for Hines running up the guts of the defense on 3d and 4th and short when you've seen the opponents know what you are doing and are stopping it almost always? I really hope Reich doesn't really think that, but is just coach speak... 

46 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If Irsay has to step in to manage this team, then why have Ballard? And if Irsay did step in and I was Ballard, I wouldn’t Re-sign my next contract or I may just step down at that point because it’s clear that I couldn’t do my job to the expectations of the owner.

Yeah, it was a bit of a hot-take reaction thread at first, but after I thought about it, it's a Ballard responsibility, not Irsay.

And you were spot-on with your follow-up post about how Ballard should handle it.

I'm not asking for anyones' head because I think we have the people to succeed, I just don't understand Frank repeatedly calling Hines-up-the-gut in key scenarios when it has such a poor success rate.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

that’s definitely the trend in the league. 

I’m not sure why nfl head coaches feel they need to call the plays. You have your hand in all decision making and oversee all operations of the team in regards to game planning. Let your coordinators handle game day as they have planned and worked all week for, and simply oversee and manage the game. 

I would guess Ballard is seeing what we are seeing.  I'm sure he's shaken his head more than a few times as well.  Ballard's fate is tied to Reich and his ability to win us a championship.  This is a big stretch run for Reich.  He wouldn't be the first coach to be fired after making the playoffs.  I think he needs a real strong finish.  I'm just hoping the light bulb goes on for him and he gets out of his funk.  

I bet Frank & Rathman’s use (or lack there use of) Taylor can’t be sitting well with Frank.  Sure we’re 8-4 but we could be 9-3 or 10-2 with better game planning, situational play calling, and personnel usage.  I’m still holding out hope that CB & Frank are holding Taylor back to unleash him in the playoffs, where our OLine will return to dominance & they Taylor & Hines lead us on a deep playoff (Super Bowl) run.  This defense, Taylor & Hines, and a sharp mistake free Rivers can get it done. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The title is a bit... over the top IMO, but I get the sentiment for sure. Reich has been having trouble with his playcalling for a while now. I love him going for it on 4th down, but I honestly cannot stand the selection of plays. The thing is ... I fully believe him when he says that game planning is colaborative process, so the question is... how much of a difference do you expect from Sirianni if we change playcallers? They probably have very similar philosophy about the game and Sirianni would be choosing from the same set of pre-planned plays for those situations. I guess he can be a bit more aggressive but quite honestly I don't believe there would be great deal of change... 

And also... if you don't trust your offensive HC to call your plays, I wonder if you should trust him to be your HC to begin with. I'm still on the fence here...

But look at this:

This is horrible. How can a well respected coach say that? Why would you think they are interchangeable when they have so different skillsets and strengths and weaknesses. Why would you keep calling the same play for Hines running up the guts of the defense on 3d and 4th and short when you've seen the opponents know what you are doing and are stopping it almost always? I really hope Reich doesn't really think that, but is just coach speak... 

I listened in on the presser live and about thru my coke at the speaker. Frank is nuts for even thinking it, coaching speak or not

16 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

that’s definitely the trend in the league. 

I’m not sure why nfl head coaches feel they need to call the plays. You have your hand in all decision making and oversee all operations of the team in regards to game planning. Let your coordinators handle game day as they have planned and worked all week for, and simply oversee and manage the game. 

Reich is seen as one of the greatest backup QB’s in NFL history. With Philly as the OC, another fellow lifetime NFL backup in Pederson was the head coach who called all the plays and thus got all the credit for their success. I bet Frank’s pride (he was the better QB of the two) has him wanting to at least do the same and call the plays.  Wouldn’t his coaching legacy be kinda diminished in comparison to Pederson’s if he relinquishes play calling duties & we win it all?  Can Frank find it in him to humble himself and give up the play calling duties???

26 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Reich is seen as one of the greatest backup QB’s in NFL history. With Philly as the OC, another fellow lifetime NFL backup in Pederson was the head coach who called all the plays and thus got all the credit for their success. I bet Frank’s pride (he was the better QB of the two) has him wanting to at least do the same and call the plays.  Wouldn’t his coaching legacy be kinda diminished in comparison to Pederson’s if he relinquishes play calling duties & we win it all?  Can Frank find it in him to humble himself and give up the play calling duties???

diminished? Um no. If he would give up playcalling and be a head coach, his legacy would be that he made the right adjustment to win a championship. 

it’s a moot point, because it ain’t happening. This year especially. We are winning...

Dont medal with the coaching, but Riech should definately be on the hot seat. We have to good of a defense and enough talent on offense, not to be a top AFC contender.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Dont medal with the coaching, but Riech should definately be on the hot seat. We have to good of a defense and enough talent on offense, not to be a top AFC contender.

His play calling is atrocious...

my random thoughts on this..

1. We don't know for sure what the dynamics are between Irsay, Ballard, and Reich. You better believe Reich was a joint Irsay/Ballard hire. We don't know how hands on Irsay is. We know he's not Jerry Jones, but a lot of owners do participate in some level of feedback and/or decisions. That said, I expect this would be a Ballard conversation. It's been a trend though (questionable game plans / play calling), so if Ballard hasn't already addressed, it's not crazy to think Irsay might directly have conversations with either Ballard, or jointly with Ballard and Reich. In short, it's Irsay's team, so he can set whatever dynamic up, and has the right to say whatever he wants (in terms of feedback), to whomever he wants.
  2. Reich is great guy. He's the perfect face you want for an organization as coach. And he's the perfect guy you want for a "culture". That said, he has a history of some very bad game plans that went totally against the grain logically, bad and stubborn play calling, and questionable personnel usage. Tossing it all over the yard in game 1 vs a team that is just bad vs the run with zero preseason games and a covid camp, is unacceptable. There was so many bad decisions made last year vs Miami I won't list them.... there are more, but those are the 2 most blatant examples in the last two years. If you argue those weren't really bad game plans by Reich, you're not being intellectually honest. And.. Running Hines up the gut on 4-1 from the 5ish only up 4 late in the game, instead of either taking the FG to go up 7, or at least using Taylor or Brissett is just unacceptable. Obviously we seen that movie several times this year, but this was the most egregious yet.
  3. I don't know what to think about what goes on under Reich (assistant coaches). How much input does Sirianni have? We know that supposedly Rathman dictates who's in at RB, and the general rotational aspects. The whole "RBs are interchangeable" nonsense that @stitches posted from Reich is nothing new and has been an issue for a while. I hope he posts it again every time we do the same stupid stuff. What is head scratching, is that the guy calling plays let's someone else dictate personnel? Wut? So you're basically either 1) limiting your play calling ability based on what someone else doing (Rathman), or you're 2) truly treating players as interchangeable (which is just plain horrible for obvious reasons). How is possible a playing calling HC who wants to gamble on 4th, at the very least doesn't use his best options available.... 

Anyway, if you don't at least acknowledge the concerns with Reich, you've got some serious sunshine pumping blinders on. I don't care if it's Irsay calling him out, or Ballard, but some things need to change. At minimum, stop being so ultra over-rotational (that goes for all skill players, not just RBs), and don't let a position coach dictate your personnel, especially on key plays like the one tonight. 

I really like Reich as a person, a face for the organization, and as a leader of our Culture. But he needs to start checking the other boxes too.

PS... Not saying he should be fired. But any good Owner, GM, or organization, need to make honest assessments and change as necessary. Start with the obvious little and medium things.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

But look at this:

Horrible?    He has that view because Frank wants all of his RB’s to be able to do everything.

— Run inside.

— Run outside.

— Pass block.

— Pass receive

If you have that then your offense is far more unpredictable.   If you don’t have that then opposing defenses know what you’re going to do based on your personnel.  You didn’t see us throw to Taylor for a touchdown?   That’s not his strength but we still used him that way.   I confess this post really surprises me. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Horrible?    He has that view because Frank wants all of his RB’s to be able to do everything.

— Run inside.

— Run outside.

— Pass block.

— Pass receive

If you have that then your offense is far more unpredictable.   If you don’t have that then opposing defenses know what you’re going to do based on your personnel.  You didn’t see us throw to Taylor for a touchdown?   That’s not his strength but we still used him that way.   I confess this post really surprises me. 

The thing is they run with Hines up the gut out of the shotgun so much it’s not a surprise or effective.  It’s a predictable ineffective play which is why so many hate it.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The thing is they run with Hines up the gut out of the shotgun so much it’s not a surprise or effective.  It’s a predictable ineffective play which is why so many hate it.

I understand.   But you’re talking about one call that Frank loves too much.   That’s not what @Stitches was referring to.   He doesn’t like Frank referring to his backs as interchangeable.   That they all have different skill sets.   That’s different than your observation. 

Maybe Rathman needs to go.  Since when are RB's interchangeable.  Taylor is clearly the No.1 back and should be out there for most snaps. Whose the coach Rathman or Reich?  That is just non sense.  Maybe Reich is too nice of a guy to be head coach.  Can't be tough or demanding of his assistant coaches. It's starting to look like the tail wagging the dog here. 

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No.    You let the coach, coach his team.   You can't handcuff him.    Coaches are coaches,   executives are executives.    Don't micro manage something you have no idea about

Well I would assume Ballard does have some idea about football.  It’s not one of us or even irsay doing it.  Still I agree with your general point.  The fact that Frank is 8-4 is going to make any conversation a short one.  For what it’s worth Irsay did make a point after the Packers game that he did have a chat with Ballard and Frank after the Jags game.  I am sure it was more along the lines of this result is unacceptable get this fixed and not him telling them how to do it though.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

— Run inside.

— Run outside.

— Pass block.

— Pass receive

NCF, I respect your takes on this board. But I have to say that any defense of Reich’s play calling right now seems almost like a knee jerk reaction of blind support. Reich is so damn predictable; so stubborn in his misuse of certain personnel (Hines up the middle); and so vested, IMO, in playing not to lose vs playing to win, that I just find myself tearing my hair out. ( And yes, his riverboat gambling approach to 4th down contrasts with the rest of his conservative play calls. It’s totally inconsistent).
I love many things about Reich as HC, but his play calling has begun to get downright rank. JMO, but that’s how I see it. I sincerely hope there are high level conversations happening about changing things up. But I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

NCF, I respect your takes on this board. But I have to say that any defense of Reich’s play calling right now seems almost like a knee jerk reaction of blind support. Reich is so damn predictable; so stubborn in his misuse of certain personnel (Hines up the middle); and so vested, IMO, in playing not to lose vs playing to win, that I just find myself tearing my hair out. ( And yes, his riverboat gambling approach to 4th down contrasts with the rest of his conservative play calls. It’s totally inconsistent).
I love many things about Reich as HC, but his play calling has begun to get downright rank. JMO, but that’s how I see it. I sincerely hope there are high level conversations happening about changing things up. But I doubt it. 

Playing not to lose would have been to kick the field goal not go for it on fourth down like he did.  I think there is some truth in both your points and Frank isn’t as bad as he’s getting hammered for today but he is stubborn and predictable at times.  

I also think you could say the later about a lot of coaches though.  I think Frank is a good but not great coach.  Yes the Colts could do better but they could also do a lot worse so if you make a change you had better be right.  

for the record this is coming from someone who feels Frank made the wrong call to go for it today and has railed on the Hines handoff up the gut all season.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Playing not to lose would have been to kick the field goal not go for it on fourth down like he did.  I think there is some truth in both your points and Frank isn’t as bad as he’s getting hammered for today but he is stubborn and predictable at times.  

I also think you could say the later about a lot of coaches though.  I think Frank is a good but not great coach.  Yes the Colts could do better but they could also do a lot worse so if you make a change you had better be right.  

for the record this is coming from someone who feels Frank made the wrong call to go for it today and has railed on the Hines handoff up the gut all season.

Well said. I watch the play calls he makes before 4th and 1 and can almost predict what will happen, especially late in the game. And then he goes the exact opposite on some of his 4th down calls, turning into a riverboat gambler. I personally love that he has the confidence to go for it; it’s such a contrast to the rest of his play calling. But if I see one more call for Hines to run up the gut on 4th and short, I may lose my mind. Teams are just waiting for it. A gambler who consistently doubles down on a bad hand is not going to be very successful. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

— Run inside.

— Run outside.

— Pass block.

— Pass receive

wut?

bad take all around.

From pure stats, Taylor catches the ball better than Hines (96.3% vs 80.0%), a better yards/reception (8.7 vs 8.2), and a better yards/target (8.4 vs 6.6). Taylor coming into the week was 1st or 2nd in catch % among all skill players (not just RBs) in the NFL. It might be more accurate to say that Taylor's strengths are not being fully utilized by Reich, or even that Wisconsin simply didn't use him as a pass catcher much in their bell cow system. 

To the original point, you're going out of your way to defend Reich on the topic, and bending logic to fit cliché. Even though your assertion was wrong that Taylor's pass catching is not a strength, the assertion itself suggests that you agree players are better or worse at certain things.  And your reliance on the "predictability" excuse is a poor argument. 

Thru week 13 (all stats below)

Taylor - 310 snaps / 135 rushes / 27 targets / 16.6% pass (touches)

Hines - 290 snaps / 61 rushes / 55 targets (leads all Colts) / 47.4% pass (touches)

Direction Rushing AVG (all downs) between the tackles

Player        /  LG  /  C  /  RG

Taylor        / 3.7 / 3.4  / 3.0

Hines        / 3.4  / 2.9  / 1.4

*So pretty obvious difference

Also to note, between the goal line and 10 yard line, Taylor has 13 carries (1.8 ypc) and Hines 11 carries (0.9 ypc). That's a 200% delta. On 3rd and 4th downs, both have 4 carries. Taylor's ypc is 1.73 vs Hines 0.75. That's a 231% delta.

So, based on the above....

1. Taylor's pass catching is a strength, arguably better than Hines based on stats. Not saying Taylor should replace Hines, or Taylor is clearly better as a receiver than Hines, just that pass catching is clearly a strength of Taylor's, and likely underutilized by Reich.
  2. Reich is defying his on predictability cliché based on the general usage of Hines and Taylor based on the % pass of each (there is a very predictable trend there), and obviously he doesn't see them as interchangeable. 
  3. Taylor is significantly better between the tackles in general, and especially within the opponent's 10 yard line.
  4. Reich is clearly ignoring "strengths" within the opponent's 10 yard line, and especially there and on 3rd and 4th down.

What if Frank is doing the set up here? What if, in the playoffs, at a very important moment, he sets up that very "predictable" scenario, and changes it because no one is expecting it because of how it's never been altered?

It's the creation of the "Indy Special". 

Archived