Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Season Tickets Renewals Hit A 10 Year Low

Coltsagent

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time in over 10 years renewal rates for season tickets droped below 90% to 87%. Are Colts fans "soft"? Is it the Peyton factor? The 2 and 14? The economy?

http://www.ibj.com/t...RAMS/post/33482

My reason is, I just couldn't afford them this year. I want to have tickets again in the future, but I just didn't have the $1300 around. I'm excited about this years team and would love to be at the stadium.

I got out 2 years ago after 20+ yrs. nothing to do with the team. Everything to do with $. The cost to benefit ratio soon far exceeded my standards. 3hrs of entertainment for $300+dollars I decided wasn't a wise choice on how to spend my $. Not when I can spend $300 once and watch every single NFL game from the comfort of my home. With a better view.

The diehard Colts fans will still be there and the waiting list will take a hit and people who never got to get in to Lucas Oil Stadium will finally get their chance to enjoy a game with their families. These people can say (if Andrew Luck is as good as they are projecting) that they saw this guy his whole career and they can say everything about him that the others said about Peyton.

These new ticket holders will be able to watch the team rebuild first hand and be part of the new resurgence of the Indianapolis Colts!

I don't buy it if Manning was still the QB here, people would still be renewing there season tickets.Yes gas prices and the economy probably had something to do with it. But gas prices and the economy was in bad shape for a few years now and everyone showed up.

Just goes to show you that half was just bandwagons fans those kind of people probably has no idea what football is. I know because I have a few bandwagon friends that said that they started watching football an because of Manning and now they won't watch football again.. Those people has no clue about football.

Like someone else said the die hard and the true Colts fans will always go and cheer on the team no matter what. Go Colts!

2-12

14-24 since the 3 heard brilliant comobo of Irsay/Polian/Caldwell decided to throw a shot at perfection away.

Throwing away the greatest quarterback the game has had.

What do you expect? An increase due to the the chance at the Mel Kiper flavor of the year?

The fact is, not ALL diehard Colts fans are season ticket holders or on the waiting list.

Maybe the opposite could be true too, ALL season ticket holders or those on the waiting list may not be diehard Colts fans, some could just be there for the entertainment part of it.

Ultimately, affordability and entertainment bang for the buck determines that list, IMO.

Now that the Pacers are somewhat winning, and their tickets being cheaper, people could be channeling their money that way too, it is possible. Some might even put it towards IU or Purdue or Butler basketball tickets.

If you are in Boston, you have the Red Sox, the Patriots, the Bruins etc. to put your money towards. With options comes diversification of spending.

I don't buy it if Manning was still the QB there would not be any people not renewing there season tickets. Just goes to show you that half was just bandwagons fans those kind of people probably has no idea what football is. Like someone else said the die hard and the true Colts fans will always go and cheer on the team no matter what. Go Colts!

Not sure I agree with you. I know of several friends who decided they weren't going to renew, and not a one of them is bailing because Manning is gone (or because of the 2-14 season). They talked about getting out for the last couple years, and held on as long as they could, but just couldn't afford the seats any longer. To be honest, they are extremely bummed to have to make this decision becasue they love the team, love going to games, and are excited about seeing where this new direction takes the club.

If I were to hazzard a guess, I think the "Manning" crowd and the "2-14" crowd would disproportionately be fans who've only know Manning as their QB. Again, just a guess. Most fans I know in their late 30s and up aren't as bent out of shape by either the record or Manning's departure, and wouldn't base their seat renewal on either.

I don't buy it if Manning was still the QB here, people would still be renewing there season tickets.Yes gas prices and the economy probably had something to do with it. But gas prices and the economy was in bad shape for a few years now and everyone showed up.

Just goes to show you that half was just bandwagons fans those kind of people probably has no idea what football is. I know because I have a few bandwagon friends that said that they started watching football an because of Manning and now they won't watch football again.. Those people has no clue about football.

Like someone else said the die hard and the true Colts fans will always go and cheer on the team no matter what. Go Colts!

Some people are going to be adversely affected by this lovely economy and will be forced to cut Colts games due to the decrease in discretionary income no matter who the quarterback is, but, the losing season, the loss of fan favorite players has to have an effect on some of those that aren't forced to get rid of their tickets.

I was a season tix holder before Manning got here but as one of the other posters mentioned, the value of going to a game is quickly eroding just because of economics not who or how the team is playing. I paid for season tix this season but I can't say that I will be doing it agian next year for certain. It wouldn't matter if Luck came in and had a perfect season capped with a SB win. $130 for a tix, roughly $30 in beer while at the game, $30 to park and then another $50 food/beverage bill after the game plus an hour drive and the cost of the gas has become an issue. My kids will be starting sports and other activities and that will trump it all. But when you figure in $250 each game and then double that when my wife goes, we could do some nice things with that money in say Australia for 14 days. The game is becoming less for fans at a live event and more for people who have more money than they have knowledge about the game. And before anyone says it, yep you could go to the game cheaper by doing less of the other stuff and just going to the game but if I have to throttle down my activities, its not really the experience anymore. We shall see next year, maybe the economy comes roaring back.

I got out 2 years ago after 20+ yrs. nothing to do with the team. Everything to do with $. The cost to benefit ratio soon far exceeded my standards. 3hrs of entertainment for $300+dollars I decided wasn't a wise choice on how to spend my $. Not when I can spend $300 once and watch every single NFL game from the comfort of my home. With a better view.

This ^

Especiall with having NFL ticket, being at home cozy and watching all the other games.

Not sure I agree with you. I know of several friends who decided they weren't going to renew, and not a one of them is bailing because Manning is gone (or because of the 2-14 season). They talked about getting out for the last couple years, and held on as long as they could, but just couldn't afford the seats any longer. To be honest, they are extremely bummed to have to make this decision becasue they love the team, love going to games, and are excited about seeing where this new direction takes the club.

If I were to hazzard a guess, I think the "Manning" crowd and the "2-14" crowd would disproportionately be fans who've only know Manning as their QB. Again, just a guess. Most fans I know in their late 30s and up aren't as bent out of shape by either the record or Manning's departure, and wouldn't base their seat renewal on either.

As for me....I'm over 30 and getting rid of Manning is precisely why I won't be buying tickets. Football is entertainment. For me to spend that kind of money you better give me an incredible product. Something I can't get at home. Watching Peyton Manning orchestrate that offense.....PURE BEAUTY. Worth every penny. I will not be paying money like that again until I see something that I just have to see in person. I love IU..I love the Pacers...I love the Colts but I have lots of options to spend money and the Colts by getting rid of Peyton just dropped several notches on my entertainment list. ITS ENTERTAINMENT. I know it will still be entertaining to some still and great for them and the Colts. I am pulling for a team that rebuilds strong and become a championship team again and if they do I will get tickets again but I feel no worse a fan or think no worse of anyone who can't afford tickets or live too far away to go. I don't judge people on why they go to the game. I won't because the product on the field is not worth paying for when I can cheer from home. I don't know what those people's reasons are...probably an assortment but I think it would be foolish to not say the biggest reason is simply the perceived entertainment value of the current 2-14 Manningless Colts is simply no longer worth it. Part of that is the team without Peyton or their successful outlook and the other is the economy/cost. There will be people to replace them I am sure but rest assured if we continue to fail to put successful teams on the field that stadium will look mighty empty. I remember we couldn't fill the RCA Dome with our "HARDCORE" fans before Peyton got here and that was tiny compared to what we have. I am thankful for all the fans that came from that success and Peyton because they brought so much to the city and the new stadium. Lets just hope Luck and crew can hold up the great standard that was previously set or there will be plenty of tickets to go around.

Ha someone help me with the maths here but 4.15/gallon is like 0.22 a litre right? You don't want to know what we pay over here!

Would love to go to a live game but plane tickets don't come cheap.

Yes gas is cheap over here....that said we live in a country that has more oil and natural gas than the middle east combined and yet we would rather the price just go up. Gas was so cheap most people live far away from where they work and are used to traveling miles to get back and forth unlike most european and uk countries.

As for me....I'm over 30 and getting rid of Manning is precisely why I won't be buying tickets. Football is entertainment. For me to spend that kind of money you better give me an incredible product. Something I can't get at home. Watching Peyton Manning orchestrate that offense.....PURE BEAUTY. Worth every penny. I will not be paying money like that again until I see something that I just have to see in person. I love IU..I love the Pacers...I love the Colts but I have lots of options to spend money and the Colts by getting rid of Peyton just dropped several notches on my entertainment list. ITS ENTERTAINMENT. I know it will still be entertaining to some still and great for them and the Colts. I am pulling for a team that rebuilds strong and become a championship team again and if they do I will get tickets again but I feel no worse a fan or think no worse of anyone who can't afford tickets or live too far away to go. I don't judge people on why they go to the game. I won't because the product on the field is not worth paying for when I can cheer from home. I don't know what those people's reasons are...probably an assortment but I think it would be foolish to not say the biggest reason is simply the perceived entertainment value of the current 2-14 Manningless Colts is simply no longer worth it. Part of that is the team without Peyton or their successful outlook and the other is the economy/cost. There will be people to replace them I am sure but rest assured if we continue to fail to put successful teams on the field that stadium will look mighty empty. I remember we couldn't fill the RCA Dome with our "HARDCORE" fans before Peyton got here and that was tiny compared to what we have. I am thankful for all the fans that came from that success and Peyton because they brought so much to the city and the new stadium. Lets just hope Luck and crew can hold up the great standard that was previously set or there will be plenty of tickets to go around.

All valid points. There was no doubt that last year was a rough year to witness (from the stands or from home). Even if I was contemplating the idea of not renewing, though, I would be inclined to weigh the danger of ending up on the end of a long waiting list (like many have over the last 8 or so years) in the equation. If the Colts do find a way to return to the same standard of greatness, and going to the games returns to a higher place in your list of priorities, you may find yourself on the outside looking in.

I'm not renewing this year...why?

I got on the list when I was divorced and had a kid half the time. Now I am married with three kids. We either ditch the kiddos or buy more seats. And buying more seats is just way to expensive. 2 was taxing enough.

Plus I live in Louisville, so it is also, like mentioned above, a cost to value ratio that I am no longer willing to pay.

I enjoyed it and would like to do it again in the future, just not now.

It REALLY doesn't have anything to do with Manning, just a coincidence. I am excited to see the new direction of the club and the development of a young QB.

I don't think it's necessarilly just bandwagon fans. For some people it may not be worth it knowing that the team is in rebuilding mode for a couple of years. It is a very large investment and when the team is bad it's hard to sell the tickets when you can't attend a game. I don't blame them. It's cyclical just like any other product.

I was a season tix holder before Manning got here but as one of the other posters mentioned, the value of going to a game is quickly eroding just because of economics not who or how the team is playing. I paid for season tix this season but I can't say that I will be doing it agian next year for certain. It wouldn't matter if Luck came in and had a perfect season capped with a SB win. $130 for a tix, roughly $30 in beer while at the game, $30 to park and then another $50 food/beverage bill after the game plus an hour drive and the cost of the gas has become an issue. My kids will be starting sports and other activities and that will trump it all. But when you figure in $250 each game and then double that when my wife goes, we could do some nice things with that money in say Australia for 14 days. The game is becoming less for fans at a live event and more for people who have more money than they have knowledge about the game. And before anyone says it, yep you could go to the game cheaper by doing less of the other stuff and just going to the game but if I have to throttle down my activities, its not really the experience anymore. We shall see next year, maybe the economy comes roaring back.

Where are you parking? Thats more then twice what I pay.

You really think that bandwagon fans have no clue about football and have no idea of what football is? You should have stopped at the first paragraph.

Thanks, never can remember the fluid conversions, we're paying around £1.89 a litre right now.

Yes, but how many miles a day / week do you drive? Not uncommon here in the US to drive an hour each way to work so thats around 120 or so miles a day. That equates to filling up 2x a week at $80-100 a pop so thats $800 a month just on fuel cost for driving. I guess its a good thing everyone is umemployed many couldn't afford that. mod edit

Edited by shecolt
political comment