Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Wonderlics

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

All that..    and yet he’s typically about 8-12 on QB rankings.   Something is missing. 

Agreed. I’ve said the same thing about Anthony Gordon. All this talk on the board about him but he’s usually the 11th ranked QB (even behind James Morgan).

If I remember correctly, wasn’t it Warren Sapp who was mic’d up and they got a sound bite of him laughing at Akili Smith scoring a 9 on his Wonderlic?

Tua also scored a 9 so I’m thinking that if Sapp was laughing at it, that may be pretty bad for a QB.

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dumb. Last I checked Love is black.

It’s always all about shaping the narratives not logical information. That’s what the “not true” likes to do. 

some reporters just like to feel relevant so they put up shockers and clickbait type topics. Sometimes, good or bad press, it’s still attention. Disgraceful what we’ve accepted over time. 

6 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Another report today saying that Herbert actually scored a 39 on wonderlic which is excellent
and makes sense with academic heisman. 

That is what I expected. The article says he scored a 25 but it seemed inaccurate. Herbert is very bright. 39 is what I expected from him. 

This article says Tua scored a 13. Others here say it was a 9. It seems that there are a lot of inaccuracies. Regardless, Wonderlic scores do not determine how well someone performs in the NFL. Some of the most successful QBs scored below 20 on their Wonderlic tests (Marino, Kelly, Bradshaw, McNabb, and more).

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If I remember correctly, wasn’t it Warren Sapp who was mic’d up and they got a sound bite of him laughing at Akili Smith scoring a 9 on his Wonderlic?

Tua also scored a 9 so I’m thinking that if Sapp was laughing at it, that may be pretty bad for a QB.

I don't have a clue as what Warren Sapp's wonderlics score was but his score in common sense is in the very scarce range. 

FYI: Here's a look at the scores of the 12 quarterbacks who took the Wonderlic in 2020:

Nate Stanley (Iowa): 40
Jake Fromm (Georgia); 35
Joe Burrow (LSU): 34
Jake Luton (Oregon State): 29
Jordan Love (Utah State): 27
Justin Herbert (Oregon): 25
Anthony Gordon (Washington State): 25
Brian Lewerke (Michigan State): 25 
Jacob Eason (Washington): 23
James Morgan (Florida International): 23
Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma): 18
Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama): 13

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't have a clue as what Warren Sapp's wonderlics score was but his score in common sense is in the very scarce range. 

The first time I ever saw an interview with him, my brother and I said that dude looks crazy. 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

The first time I ever saw an interview with him, my brother and I said that dude looks crazy. 

Yeah, he was a great player at times when he wasn't out of control and playing dirty. He made a lot of enemies on the field and even more off the field. 

12 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Jeudy, Hurts, Tua...

these guys are clearly football players first and scholars a distant second 

Hurts and tua have some typical football player majors in art history and communications.  i wouldnt be surprised if they have a "communications" program just for athletes at Alabama 

4 hours ago, Dr. T said:

FYI: Here's a look at the scores of the 12 quarterbacks who took the Wonderlic in 2020:

Nate Stanley (Iowa): 40
Jake Fromm (Georgia); 35
Joe Burrow (LSU): 34
Jake Luton (Oregon State): 29
Jordan Love (Utah State): 27
Justin Herbert (Oregon): 25
Anthony Gordon (Washington State): 25
Brian Lewerke (Michigan State): 25 
Jacob Eason (Washington): 23
James Morgan (Florida International): 23
Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma): 18
Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama): 13

Some of this information is not up to date. 

Herbert scored a 39 at the combine and Tua scored a 19.  

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Hurts and tua have some typical football player majors in art history and communications.  i wouldnt be surprised if they have a "communications" program just for athletes at Alabama 

Alabama players going to school is a joke.  It's all about the foot ball program and school is probably 4th on the list of importance.

Having lived in Hawaii for 5 years (military parents) as well as completing high school there I can say without doubt their education system is a joke. Literally knew kids being passed their senior year that couldn’t read at even a 6th grade level. I don’t fault Tua as he has shown he has what it takes to play the position... I don’t ask my mechanic how “smart” he is I just trust his knowledge in the field he works in.

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's Samoan.  How is the test racist?? 

Name called and yelling "RACIST" has nothing to do with logic or common sense, it's a political "SHUT UP" tool. He's a "person of color", that's all that matters..

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh....I c.  I am from Canada,so I am a little niave.

Some people claim that anything that makes anyone except white people look bad is racist.  Many times you cannot even say something if it is true.  

I think there are many racist people in our world.   Racist people of every race.  Really there is no doubt.  But everything does not have to be about race.  It wasn't racist when Marino did poorly and it is not racist when Tua did poorly.  

Anyone know if or how often this test is modified for NFL use.  If I was an owner, I'd like to get together with the other owners and experts and create a new test based on NFL related questions.     

On 4/19/2020 at 1:01 AM, NFLfan said:

Snip-

Regardless, Wonderlic scores do not determine how well someone performs in the NFL. Some of the most successful QBs scored below 20 on their Wonderlic tests (Marino, Kelly, Bradshaw, McNabb, and more).

On 4/19/2020 at 12:22 PM, aaron11 said:

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Maybe the NFL should replace the Wonderlic with something more applicable, similar to what the Colts use via our ex Navy Seal guy.  

I would rather the NFL in general use as many useless evaluation tools as possible and let us find more effective methods of assessing a players potential.

Just biased I guess.

45 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I would rather the NFL in general use as many useless evaluation tools as possible and let us find more effective methods of assessing a players potential.

Just biased I guess.

Well that’s pretty much what we’re doing now. People say the combine is useless, the Wonderlic is useless, pro days are setup to favor the athlete . The only valid means are game tapes and medical Evals. 

25 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Well that’s pretty much what we’re doing now. People say the combine is useless, the Wonderlic is useless, pro days are setup to favor the athlete . The only valid means are game tapes and medical Evals. 

The bolded is THE main gift of the combine.  Psych/Interviews second. Underwear Olympics (numbers confirmation) 3rd.

Archived