Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Wonderlics

It's simply another information point. For football, it's about as important as knowing whether he wears boxers, briefs, boxer briefs, or goes commando. 

If it were me, I'd want to do well in every evaluation, so unlike Richard Sherman, I'd try to ace the Wonderlic. But preparation for it would be like 19th on my list of 20 things to do to get ready for the combine. And if I were an evaluator, it would be 19th out of 20 on my list of things that matter.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

It's simply another information point. For football, it's about as important as knowing whether he wears boxers, briefs, boxer briefs, or goes commando. 

If it were me, I'd want to do well in every evaluation, so unlike Richard Sherman, I'd try to ace the Wonderlic. But preparation for it would be like 19th on my list of 20 things to do to get ready for the combine. And if I were an evaluator, it would be 19th out of 20 on my list of things that matter.

So whats 20th?

I think Gil Brandt used to place a high premium on "mental alertness" for the QB position.  Not sure what that means or if the Wonderlic measures it, but they kind of sound pretty related.

If a player does not place a lot of effort into every evaluation, picking and choosing where to work, it does kind of speak to work ethic perhaps.  Not that there aren't priorities, but if a player comes back with the reason that the test just wasn't worth his time or that it don't matter for football, that's kind of telling.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

if a player comes back with the reason that the test just wasn't worth his time or that it don't matter for football, that's kind of telling.

I agree 100%. It tells me that kid is one smart cookie - smarter to not waste his time on something meaningless than the yoyos who wasted all their time giving the test and selecting their players based on it :D.

In addition, if I were a player, I wouldn't want to be on a team whose decision makers picked my teammates based on that thing.

3 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I agree 100%. It tells me that kid is one smart cookie - smarter to not waste his time on something meaningless than the yoyos who wasted all their time giving the test and selecting their players based on it :D.

In addition, if I were a player, I wouldn't want to be on a team whose decision makers picked my teammates based on that thing.

There have been reports of NFL players and even QBs not being able to comprehend certain playbooks.  I don't know if wonderlic necessarily anticipates that, but it probably does that more so for a QB than measuring a 40 yard dash.   

Archived