Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seems Jordan Love is the Pick at 13

Okay, so I have not been a big supporter of Jordan Love at 13 but I seem to be in the minority. I say that because it is obvious how much the Colts are at the very minimum intrigued by him. Between the reports of Colts scouts being at 7 games and I heard one that said Ballard was at at least one but maybe two games, himself. 

We have said all this before, so the reason I posted this is because almost 1 in every 3 mock drafts I have seen have Love to the Colts. It happens almost as regularly as:

Burrow to Bengals

Young to Redskins

Tua to Dolphins

Herbert to Chargers

Then you see articles of best fits for teams looking for a QB and everyone picks Love to Colts. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/analyzing-the-colts-best-qb-fits-in-the-2020-nfl-draft/

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ6SWCiTxeWQwAXGlx.9w4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1581054466/RO=10/RU=https://sports.yahoo.com/figuring-out-the-best-landing-spots-for-2020-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-143257645.html/RK=2/RS=xGpuBCNg0.abkZcTP2uHFevZj5Q-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097592/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-four-qbs-in-top-15

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tuls-2020-nfl-mock-draft-5.0

I threw in the last 2 mocks because Daniel Jeremiah is pretty accurate and the draft network has consistently picked Love to Colts

In the end are we all overthinking it. Is the pick gonna be Love? Has it always been Love?

• Thanks 1

This Love to the Colts prediction is certainly getting popular and maybe rightfully so.  His popularity is certainly going to grow and the thought that he is going to be there at 13 for the Colts is hard for me to believe.  Too many teams ahead of us could draft him and there are a lot of teams behind us that could trade up before us to get him.  Ballard would have to give up some high picks to move up and I'm not sure he would do it.  Moving up in the 4th rd is a lot different than moving up in the 1st rd.  I'm still of the belief that he will explore the veteran route aggressively to see if that is where the answer is.  And not the old guys either.  This is the year to do it and there is no doubt he will have some choices and opportunities in front of him.  

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Between the reports of Colts scouts being at 7 games

Here's the thing no one ever says about that.  The Colts might have sent scouts to numerous games, but what they saw wasn't great.  Love wasn't very good this year, so their opinions might have changed after seven games.  

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Okay, so I have not been a big supporter of Jordan Love at 13 but I seem to be in the minority. I say that because it is obvious how much the Colts are at the very minimum intrigued by him. Between the reports of Colts scouts being at 7 games and I heard one that said Ballard was at at least one but maybe two games, himself. 

We have said all this before, so the reason I posted this is because almost 1 in every 3 mock drafts I have seen have Love to the Colts. It happens almost as regularly as:

Burrow to Bengals

Young to Redskins

Tua to Dolphins

Herbert to Chargers

Then you see articles of best fits for teams looking for a QB and everyone picks Love to Colts. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/analyzing-the-colts-best-qb-fits-in-the-2020-nfl-draft/

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ6SWCiTxeWQwAXGlx.9w4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1581054466/RO=10/RU=https://sports.yahoo.com/figuring-out-the-best-landing-spots-for-2020-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-143257645.html/RK=2/RS=xGpuBCNg0.abkZcTP2uHFevZj5Q-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097592/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-four-qbs-in-top-15

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tuls-2020-nfl-mock-draft-5.0

I threw in the last 2 mocks because Daniel Jeremiah is pretty accurate and the draft network has consistently picked Love to Colts

In the end are we all overthinking it. Is the pick gonna be Love? Has it always been Love?

The Colts may well take Love at #13.

But the Mock Drafts showing it are meaningless. They are all completely worthless. At this point last year,  they all had Kyler Murray in the 2nd

round. How accurate was that ?

I'll admit, I look at them all too. They're fun to read for entertainment. But 

that's about it.

• Like 1

mock drafts are meaningless.  i remember a few years ago almost every mock i looked at had the colts taking taylor decker.  he was gone by the time we picked 

i know thats anecdotal but these things are usually not close if you check them in hind sight 

• Like 1

It would be a major reach if we did. I would much rather trade up to pick 22 with our first 2nd rounder and our 3rd rounder and take him there if we really love him, but I think using pick 13 would be a big mistake, especially if someone like Kinlaw or Brown is available

22 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

If Love is there at 13 and Colts pick him, next question..does he start from day 1? Hate to use 1st round draft capital on a player sitting the bench for a year with other holes (DT) to fill

imagine if the colts have an ever worse record then this year and the chance of getting the first pick. Would the colts drafting another QB knowing who would be number 1.

3 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

If Love is there at 13 and Colts pick him, next question..does he start from day 1? Hate to use 1st round draft capital on a player sitting the bench for a year with other holes (DT) to fill

I do think there is value in having a QB sit a year, especially when they're coming from a school that doesn't run a pro system. It gives them a year to work on mechanics and to learn a pro system.

and While the argument that if you are a first round pick you should be ready to play day one, refer to Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, who both sat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I do think there is value in having a QB sit a year, especially when they're coming from a school that doesn't run a pro system. It gives them a year to work on mechanics and to learn a pro system.

and While the argument that if you are a first round pick you should be ready to play day one, refer to Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, who both sat

If that is the case then take BPA, suck next year, and get your QB next season like Lawrence.  You're basically sitting on a 1st round guy when you could have had a guy playing and getting experience at another position.  That is not good value.

Now if you're talking a mid-round QB, then yeah.  But the odds this guy is going to become the next Rodgers or Mahomes is slim.  Better chance he becomes the next mediocre QB who isn't even on the roster in 5 years and that pick would be a huge waste of resources.

I'm starting to think that 13 is too high for Love. 

Overall, pick 13 is shaping up to be a pick that's not in a very good spot to get proper value at the QB position.  Too low for Tua or Herbert and too high for the rest.  Maybe we actually trade down.  I'd prefer to get a player at 13 that could start day 1 to fill a position of need, like we did with Nelson and Kelly.  This year, that seems like DT, WR, or OT depending upon ACs situation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Please no. Would be a huge reach. He is not even close to a Mahomes. 

Patrick Mahomes was a supposable reach when he was drafted as well. Many “experts” said it was a terrible move to trade up and get him at 10. So not a good comparison. 

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

If we can get him with the 2nd round pick instead of #13, I'm all for it, but I fear the Pats or New Orleans or Steelers or another team with aging QB will jump us and get him. 

I think all teams probably rank all of the QBs the same.  So, yes, if Love's value is better suited to late round 1 where players can typically not start right away, then they are in a better position than we are.

That's why I say we need to trade with BUFF at 22 to get our next QB.  Pick 34 and 75 adds up exactly to the point value of pick 22.  We'd risk losing out to PITT though.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think all teams probably rank all of the QBs the same.  So, yes, if Love's value is better suited to late round 1 where players can typically not start right away, then they are in a better position than we are.

That's why I say we need to trade with BUFF at 22 to get our next QB.  Pick 34 and 75 adds up exactly to the point value of pick 22.  We'd risk losing out to PITT though.

Pitt doesn't have first rounder because of the Minkah trade, but they might trade into the 1st. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Seems like we would have more capital and willingness than PITT.

The thing is... if a team likes a player they might go crazy and unpredictable. They might give up future 1st + their second to get back in position to take a QB they like. The Mahomes trade was one that came out of nowhere too... Did you read that piece that described their process and how they kept in contact with Mahomes and his agent before the draft so they'd know where they have to trade up to, etc. In a weird way to some degree a prospect might dictate where they go if they want it by giving info to the teams they like about the intentions of teams they don't want to go to. (Mahomes' agent told the Chiefs that the Saints were going to take him so they knew they had to trade before them). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Probably doesn't start.  Too raw.  

JB would probably start.  

Not bothered by the fact that he doesn't start rookie year.  Mahomes didn't start his rookie year either.  It's what he does afterwards that is important.  

Kansas City didn’t even go to Mahomes workouts. His agent sent the team video of all his workouts. It was completely secret. 

11 minutes ago, twfish said:

And that's not even absolute. I could see the Redskins doing something stupid and trying to trade down and passing on the best player in the draft not named Burrow

I saw a tweet this morning that Rivera loves Young. I doubt they would move down.

11 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

If that is the case then take BPA, suck next year, and get your QB next season like Lawrence.  You're basically sitting on a 1st round guy when you could have had a guy playing and getting experience at another position.  That is not good value.

Now if you're talking a mid-round QB, then yeah.  But the odds this guy is going to become the next Rodgers or Mahomes is slim.  Better chance he becomes the next mediocre QB who isn't even on the roster in 5 years and that pick would be a huge waste of resources.

I don't want the next the next Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes, I want the next colts franchise QB later to be named.

I'm never for tanking and I think KC would disagree about sitting a QB for one year as they just won a championship. They picked a QB at 10 (trading 2 1sts and a 3rd to get there) and sat him behind a Vet, so he could make the transition from college to pro.

Basically if you have a college player in a pro style offense I don't think they need to sit, but if you have a player who didn't I think there is value letting him sit behind a smart Xs and Os vet to learn.

• Like 1

Much of where Love will actually be picked will be settled at combine, pro days, and team visits and interviews

If the Colts believe he is the missing component after these sessions I am all for it

Today...... my gut says that the odds of Love making a pro bowl would be less than   Kinlaw

I think Tua and Burrows have a much higher chance of going to a pro bowl than Kinlaw does

my point.....  just some old dude clacking away on a keyboard.....

If I am trading hugely valuable draft picks to move up.....  I’m going up for Tua

If Love is there at 13.....  and CB loves the guy..... pick him

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree that if Love is the guy there are going to have to move up.  Same for Herbert.  But if it's FA I hope we stay away from the older guys like Rivers.  Bridgewater is the only FA QB I would consider.  The trade option offers up many more interesting possibilities and I could really see Ballard being more aggressive on that front. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree that if Love is the guy there are going to have to move up.  Same for Herbert.  But if it's FA I hope we stay away from the older guys like Rivers.  Bridgewater is the only FA QB I would consider.  The trade option offers up many more interesting possibilities and I could really see Ballard being more aggressive on that front. 

Why all the love for Bridgewater?    What has he done?

His best yr as a Viking

16 games 16 starts  292 of 447  65.3%  3231yds 14 td 9 int 57.5 QBR

JB 2019

15 games 15 starts 272 of 447 60.9% 2942 18td 6int 52.1QBR

I don't see the huge difference using the numbers  . And that Viking team was good . They went 11-5  Colts were without weapons this yr with a ton of injuries.

I'm not a JB fan, but there is a lot of reaching for a QB on this site just to get a different QB 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:12 PM, indykmj said:

The Colts may well take Love at #13.

But the Mock Drafts showing it are meaningless. They are all completely worthless. At this point last year,  they all had Kyler Murray in the 2nd

round. How accurate was that ?

I'll admit, I look at them all too. They're fun to read for entertainment. But 

that's about it.

Daniel Jeremiah had Kyler Murray drafted at #1. But I get your point overall, everyone is still predicting at this point.