Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM's End of Season Press Conference

Dingus McGirt

One of the main things I got from the press conference, is his comments on the 3-technique defensive tackle. When asked about some of the defense's shortcomings, he really went straight in on how they lacked interior pressure and importance of the 3-technique in the scheme they run. 

It's worth noting he didn't mention Denico Autry at all despite saying how they have struggled at the 3-tech. I think it was the one part of the press conference where Ballard showed displeasure with the position group. I think Ballard will make a significant move in the offseason here either via the FA or draft.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Not definitive, but doesn't sound like a guy itching to move up for a QB...

I take that to mean more on the lines that the Colts would not just take the best QB available with a "designated" draft slot. I think if he liked a QB a lot and thought that player had good value at say pick 8 , he would consider moving up. I , like you , find it unlikely that he trades up as it appears not to be his style . But I think the statement he made referred to was not "reaching" and nothing to do with trading up.

Lol Doyel deleted a tweet that said Grigson still calls/texts local media saying the Colts are lost without him.

Interesting to speculate why he deleted it so quickly. Either he's lying or he wasn't supposed to out him potentially being off the record or something...who knows.

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I take that to mean more on the lines that the Colts would not just take the best QB available with a "designated" draft slot. I think if he liked a QB a lot and thought that player had good value at say pick 8 , he would consider moving up. I , like you , find it unlikely that he trades up as it appears not to be his style . But I think the statement he made referred to was not "reaching" and nothing to do with trading up.

Agreed with that take. I shot that to stitches because we've been having a back and forth about this topic all season, and we both wondered whether Ballard would be willing to move up for a QB. But yeah, it's not a blanket determination that he wouldn't, not at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Agreed with that take. I shot that to stitches because we've been having a back and forth about this topic all season, and we both wondered whether Ballard would be willing to move up for a QB. But yeah, it's not a blanket determination that he wouldn't, not at all.

Ahhh... yo comprendo 

7 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Everyone keeps saying Irsay better get used to empty seats.  If Jacoby shows even a slight improvement, Chase shows a slight improvement in the kicking game( which he already has), then the Colts will probably go 10-6 and make the playoffs.  People will show for a playoff team

I agree, bit some round here think its easier to find a “Manning.”

Luckily , Ballard is smarter and less emotional than them.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Problem is I don't see the Chargers letting Henry go.  I don't know their full situation but especially if they are going rookie on their QB they should have the money to bring him back.  I think he's only 26.

However I suppose if we snatched Rivers up quickly, Hunter might decide to follow his QB.  

You are right. No way they let Henry go.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

exactly it's like our fans think you are supposed to be this elite S that leads the league in picks no matter what even with literally ZERO pressure or pass rush at all 

If you look at most of the best DBs in the league, most of those teams have an above average pass rush. Ours is bottom 10 even with Houston's sacks.....

Hooker is the type of guy that could look totally different on another team. I'm sure Ballard is regretting not going after a DT last year in the draft or FA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

we've changed doctors, training staff and conditioning staffs.  the only thing we've not changed... the turf at both LOS and West 56th street. I've been saying for years it is a contributing factor. I hope they look deep into replacing it

yep, no cap hit, the hit was fully front loaded. so it lets us out easily.

...I am confused with this.

I hear two conflicting views on JB's contract... 

One says no cap hit,

yet the salary cap websites say there is significant cap hits for 2020: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jacoby-brissett-19045/

https://overthecap.com/player/jacoby-brissett/4804/

43 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Lol Doyel deleted a tweet that said Grigson still calls/texts local media saying the Colts are lost without him.

Interesting to speculate why he deleted it so quickly. Either he's lying or he wasn't supposed to out him potentially being off the record or something...who knows.

That's funny but neither Grigson nor Ballard look good without Luck.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not giving you any rope or leeway? 

I thought my whole last graph where I agreed we don’t communicate well and apologized to you for my part in that and reassured you it wasn’t deliberate And offered that I hope we do better this year was all the leeway anyone could hope for.  

Im sincere about this.  I’m taking half the blame and offering to do better.   You were hoping for more? 

fair enough! 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

...I am confused with this.

I hear two conflicting views on JB's contract... 

One says no cap hit,

yet the salary cap websites say there is significant cap hits for 2020: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jacoby-brissett-19045/

https://overthecap.com/player/jacoby-brissett/4804/

The way I understand the contract is 20 million guaranteed. 2 mill salary for 2019 , 11 mill signing bonus and 7 mill 2020 roster bonus. 

5.5 (half the signing bonus ) and the 2 mill 2019 salary have been accounted for. He still has 12.5 in guaranteed money that would be a cap hit in 2020 if he were to be cut. That would be the 7 mill roster bonus and 5.5 mill for the other half of the signing bonus. Both websites you posted reflect that I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ballard did mention he regretted letting Al Woods go last year.  A lot of people here (myself included) thought it was a mistake letting him walk last year.  DT IMO is our biggest need in the offseason.  Followed by WR, and QB.

Depends on free agency but as of now I would love to see in the upcoming draft:

1. DT:  D. Brown or Kinlaw

2.  WR:  J. Judy or J. Jefferson

3.  QB:  Love

Joseph

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The way I understand the contract is 20 million guaranteed. 2 mill salary for 2019 , 11 mill signing bonus and 7 mill 2020 roster bonus. 

5.5 (half the signing bonus ) and the 2 mill 2019 salary have been accounted for. He still has 12.5 in guaranteed money that would be a cap hit in 2020 if he were to be cut. That would be the 7 mill roster bonus and 5.5 mill for the other half of the signing bonus. Both websites you posted reflect that I believe. 

That's the way I understand it too,

yet (somewhere buried in the pages of preceding posts), someone posted how Ballard was quoted today saying, to some effect,  Brissett has no cap repercussions.

and I also read (that he has zero cap

hit)  several days ago on either SI or ESPN website.

8 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Ballard did mention he regretted letting Al Woods go last year.  A lot of people here (myself included) thought it was a mistake letting him walk last year.  DT IMO is our biggest need in the offseason.  Followed by WR, and QB.

Joseph

Woods was a surprise.  It sounded like he was having a few regrets concerning some of his moves and lack of moves this year.  Maybe Sheard gets a small extension this year after all.  Don't let Funchess get away either. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   What the......?

Who are “most teams”?  

thats what the writers said, cheifs and cardnials were the only teams grading him that high 

you can up look how the experts rated the pick afterwards too.  it wasnt unanimous praise from them either.  not even close 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

we can actually cut him for 0 cap hit as well.. just saying

I reacted to the post that paying a backup QB $10M is a lot of money. Whether it is pay on signing or pay now the hit if I understand it is $21.5M. I also understood that if we were to cut him we would save approximately $9M of the cap. my info may be all wrong.

31 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

That's the way I understand it too,

yet (somewhere buried in the pages of preceding posts), someone posted how Ballard was quoted today saying, to some effect,  Brissett has no cap repercussions.

and I also read (that he has zero cap

hit)  several days ago on either SI or ESPN website.

Correct, Ballard during his live presser did say JB’s extension carried no cap hit. Maybe Ballard knows something about the structure we and the cap websites don’t? I really don’t know. But I was watching live and Ballard did infact state it. Which is what I was going off of 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re not PAYING $21.5 mill.   It’s the cap hit.   But we’re only actually paying roughly half of that which is cheap. 

Big difference.   The Colts have always negotiated good deals.  Nothing has changed.

If you want to get technical it is cap hit but it counts $21.5M whenever it was or is paid. As I understand his contract we could save $9M if he were cut before a certain date. The $9 M is not chump change if we were to keep him as a backup.

Hardly a ringing endorsement on JB.  JB's performance was the tale of two cities. In first 7 games he looked solid. Last 9 his play ranged from mediocre to terrible. Perhaps some of that is due to injuries with receiving corps but JB seemed to struggle in all aspects of the passing game 2nd half of the season. I suspect he starts the season as our #1 but I see CB drafting a QB to be his replacement at some point next years if JB  fails to rebound.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I haven't listened yet, so not a reflection of Ballard's comments... but I don't see him spending big money on someone like Armstead. I happen to think very little of Armstead as a player, and I don't see him as a game changer that Ballard would be bringing in to make the team better. 

Amstrad has done nothing till this year, which is his contract year.  I never invest in those guys.

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I dont see that guy in the middle of round one

How many saw it in Mahomes. Mahomes had a lot of negatives in his draft profile. Apparently the bears thought Mitch was better then Watson and Mahomes.  Fans need to stop with every QB is bad unless it’s some amazing generational talent.  That isn’t the case.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How many saw it in Mahomes. Mahomes had a lot of negatives in his draft profile. Apparently the bears thought Mitch was better then Watson and Mahomes.  Fans need to stop with every QB is bad unless it’s some amazing generational talent.  That isn’t the case.

Sheeze.........

Mrs Exaggerate............I am not saying anyone is bad......  

YOUR words are "amazing generational talent.........."  NOT MINE

I just dont see anyone (at 15) that has the basic skills of Mahomes.......  

Sheeze

12 minutes ago, waittilnextyear said:

LMAO
 YOU don't need to. What the ___ are you thinking? 

Sheeze

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That scheme you don’t like?   Is also Ballard’s scheme!

Three posts.   Or is it four?   And they’re all terrible.   Standard Pacergeek! 

I beg to differ with Ballard.  The most important part of this D, the interior D linemen, r over age and not very talented

8 hours ago, coltsva said:

To the first bolded:

So we are at the point where players do self evaluation and make the decision on their fate? Obviously, AV was not able to do an honest assessment of himself.

To the second bolded:

Except there were. Woo and McClaughlin both came in and kicked in week 3 tryouts. Both proved to be a much better option than AV.

He addressed all that.  Whats the problem?

9/10 (or more) would have handled the AV thing the same way.  In part, right or wrong, because its AV.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I flusters the Chris Jones idea several days ago.  KC May have cap issues.  But here’s the deal...   Superman widely noted that if the Chiefs can’t sign him long term, they will certainly franchise him.   The chances CJ hits the open market are almost zero.

I wish it wasn’t so....

Players who r considered elite at their posiiton do not hit free agency.  Please tell me the last young elite player to hit free agency?  They just don't.

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The statements he made about Jacoby today makes me think he is not going to settle for Jacoby next year.   I think he's going to make a move at QB.  

Absolutely.  If you watched the entire thing, a QB or QBs are coming.  That's certainly my overall impression.  

Now, as to specific comments, I hope people learned last year not base predictions off every little thing he says.  Like most people in life, Ballard says all sorts of things.  At times, he's all over the place and much of it means nothing.  

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Yes, truth or not, Ballard said what needed to be said.   

It's hard not to like Ballard and the improvements he has made with this team.   

It'll be easier for me not to like him if he settles for Brissett as the starter for the 2020 season.

Your point would make sense if the last sentence ended with “the long-term” rather than “the 2020 season.”

There are scenarios that JB starting 2020 lead to success and due to draft/FA outcome could be the prudent plan, at least to start the year.  You’ve got to see and acknowledge that it is an option and possibility.
  Too many of us are seeing black (start 2920) or white(gone), and not realizing all the “in-betweenish” Stuff.

Whether he starts or not does not determine the season or future.

We can speculate all day, but it will be much clearer come training camp.  And if Ballard were to make us feel better by telling us all his deep-felt feelings on the matter, he shows his cards to the whole league.

I actually thought he said alot in that presser.  We just have to open our ears (and minds) and listen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If you look at most of the best DBs in the league, most of those teams have an above average pass rush. Ours is bottom 10 even with Houston's sacks.....

Hooker is the type of guy that could look totally different on another team. I'm sure Ballard is regretting not going after a DT last year in the draft or FA.

oh I agree I also feel like our system isnt the best for Hooker either 

• Like 1

I saw on tv today that Ballard said the "jury is still out on Brissett" and that he has a lot of work to do. Reich stated the other day that "Brissett has  to get better". Well, it looks like after the season is over the 2 guys in charge didn't waste any time doing a 180. 98% of Colt fans have known all season that Brissett isn't the guy going forward. Nice to acknowledge it after the season is over. But Ballard and Reich did what they had to do. Now the real qb competition begins. Maybe a draft pick, maybe a free agent, maybe Chad Kelly, and bringing up the rear, Brissett. I still think there is a better chance of Kelly being on the roster come August 1st than Brissett.

3 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Joseph

I don't understand him saying he regretted letting him go.  Ballard has said when he has a price in mind for a player he won't deviate from it.  

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's what I thought, but it wouldn't be a cap hit if we cut him.  Whatever the price, I don't think we pay him his current contract to backup another QB.  After being paid to be a starter, and starting, I think retaining him at his current contract level would strike the other players as being some sort of nice-guy based charity.  If he's a backup, he takes a pay cut and a new contract, IMO.  It would be better for all parties if it was with a new team.

Unkess something completely shocking happens (possible but not likely) I think you should brace for seeing JB back as the starter for one more year without a change in his contract.   I think we will spend a 2 drafting another QB and that person will get something close to a redshirt year to learn.  I think Ballard is prepared for that.  That’s my takeaway. 

23 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I don't understand him saying he regretted letting him go.  Ballard has said when he has a price in mind for a player he won't deviate from it.  

Ballard specifically mentioned Woods and Mike Mitchell regarding the leadership and veteran presence they were in the locker room last year. He said that veterans, such as those two, bring a calming influence to a team.