Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edit: AC considering retirement

Restinpeacesweetchloe

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks.  I almost didn't come to this board because I knew there would be a ton of over-reactions.

Funny, AC says he sees two options for this offseason... resign with the Colts or retire and everyone focuses on the retiring, no one focuses on the fact he wants to sign a new contract with the Colts.

Agreed. This seems to me like a comment on HOW GOOD the locker room is. I will play here and nowhere else is a pretty powerful statement on the state of this team/locker room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

"He did not give any sense of how seriously he is considering walking away, but it is one of two options, he said: First is re-signing with the Colts and the other is retirement."

Holder did in fact say that. 

He didn’t mean first as in that’s his first choice.  He meant first as in I am going to tell you the two options here’s the first one.  

Reich all but confirmed AC is considering walking away in his presser.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1211726578209771522

everyone else who heard it is saying AC is thinking about walking away.  

The only person who took it as I want to play for the Colts but if they don’t re-sign me I will retire is you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

No that’s not what he said. He said he has some decisions to make and retirement is on the table. Let’s not forget who his best friend is.  I will be shocked if he comes back.

Ok i see now, i didnt see the rest of the comment, sorry it will for sure be interesting to see what happens. Maybe he will try to convince Luck to return because he cant take another year like this 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He didn’t mean first as in that’s his first choice.  He meant first as in I am going to tell you the two options here’s the first one.  

The only person who took it as I want to play for the Colts but if they don’t re-sign me I will retire is you.

You're editorializing. So is everyone else.

The tweet in the OP literally says what I said. He may have meant something different, but others have also reported it that way. 

Chappell -- AC considering two options, keep playing or retire

Kravitz -- AC says retirement among the options he's considering

Bremer -- Retirement not off the table, considering for personal reasons

Keefer -- AC says he has decisions to make, doesn't commit to anything

Since then, we've heard more from Reich, and I agree that it sounds like this is simply AC's decision about whether he wants to keep playing. Still a bunch of editorializing and melodrama, but yeah, AC is considering retirement. He's also considering continuing to play for the Colts.

• Like 1

• Superman changed the title to Edit: AC considering retirement
2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I have been saying this as well. Luck retiring set is back a minimum of 3yrs and probably closer to 5yrs.  By then the team may need another rebuild  especially on the OL. It will ultimately cost Ballard and Reich their jobs. The only hope is if they can hit on a QB this draft the develops quickly.  That will be quite a task picking where we are.  It won’t surprise me if we only make the playoffs 4 times or less this next decade. The Colts have a lot of mediocrity ahead of them.  I will still watch the games tho bc I enjoy the Colts when they  are good and bad.  

Bingo.. unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

You're editorializing. So is everyone else.

The tweet in the OP literally says what I said. He may have meant something different, but others have also reported it that way. 

Chappell -- AC considering two options, keep playing or retire

Kravitz -- AC says retirement among the options he's considering

Bremer -- Retirement not off the table, considering for personal reasons

Keefer -- AC says he has decisions to make, doesn't commit to anything

Since then, we've heard more from Reich, and I agree that it sounds like this is simply AC's decision about whether he wants to keep playing. Still a bunch of editorializing and melodrama, but yeah, AC is considering retirement. He's also considering continuing to play for the Colts.

So in other words AC told them he’s thinking about retiring OR returning to the Colts and Frank Reich confirmed it (even though it didn’t need to be because people got it straight from AC).  That’s what I said.  There was no editorializing except from you when you saw Holder say first and assumed it meant that was AC first choice when it didn’t.  It meant he was going to tell you what the two things are he’s deciding between and here’s the first one.  

You changed the thread title to make it sound like if the Colts want AC back he will be back.  That’s not what is going on here.  The Colts want him back, the coach said so.  AC is deciding if he wants to comeback or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

AC bringing up retirement isn't a neutral little of this little of that kinda deal imo. The thing you hear athletes so often say "once it's on your mind, it's close, if not all ready over" or some variation on the theme.

Yeah even if he comes back I think it would be for a year MAYBE two at the most.  Left tackle just became a major need for this team in the very near future one way or another.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So in other words AC told them he’s thinking about retiring OR returning to the Colts and Frank Reich confirmed it (even though it didn’t need to be because people got it straight from AC).  That’s what I said.  There was no editorializing except from you when you saw Holder say first and assumed it meant that was AC first choice when it didn’t.  It meant he was going to tell you what the two things are he’s deciding between and here’s the first one.  

You changed the thread title to make it sound like if the Colts want AC back he will be back.  That’s not what is going on here.  The Colts want him back, the coach said so.  AC is deciding if he wants to comeback or not.

It's literally what Holder's tweet said. 

You are editorializing by reading meaning into something that goes beyond what was actually written. That's the definition of editorializing. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It's literally what Holder's tweet said. 

You are editorializing by reading meaning into something that goes beyond what was actually written. That's the definition of editorializing. 

The word first has multiple uses.  The only person who took what Holder said to mean his first choice was to come back was you.  Everyone else took it as he meant it, here are the two things he’s deciding between and here’s the first one and here is the second.  That became clear when Holder said “and the other is...”

Superman you just misread something on Twitter it’s no big deal we have all done it at some point.  You fixed the thread title so let’s just move on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems everytime we think this franchise gets on track something else happens. Luck comes back last season then he rips our heart  out. LT is probably the second most valuable position on the team. When will all the drama end and we get to have a fun team again.

Welcome to football.  That’s why I always told people that complained about only one Super Bowl during the Manning era to enjoy it because a team that good for that long is rare and special even if it doesn’t get you as many Super Bowls as you think it should have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AC retiring does limit our options a bit I think.  Probably would mean that those 2nd round picks would have to be saved and not used as capital to trade up.  

Not unless we could sign an LT in FA.  Would be tough though, probably not many good ones make it to FA.  

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems everytime we think this franchise gets on track something else happens. Luck comes back last season then he rips our heart  out. LT is probably the second most valuable position on the team. When will all the drama end and we get to have a fun team again.

Eh, I agree that we've dealt with more than our fair share, but most every team deals with drama. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

AC retiring does limit our options a bit I think.  Probably would mean that those 2nd round picks would have to be saved and not used as capital to trade up.  

Not unless we could sign an LT in FA.  Would be tough though, probably not many good ones make it to FA.  

Almost as rare as a franchise QB hitting free agency.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they go LT as high as 13 if AC does walk away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Almost as rare as a franchise QB hitting free agency.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they go LT as high as 13 if AC does walk away.

Neither would I actually.  Ballard prioritizes the fronts, he likely would prioritize keeping the Colts with a top 10 OL over getting a new QB.  

In that case he might grab a new QB at the top of the 2nd.  The negative of that is of course we don't get the pick of the litter.  The positive of that is that QB's drafted in the 2nd round are fairly easy to walk away from if they don't turn into something.  So he could get a guy, see what he becomes, and if it's not panning out go into the next draft looking for a QB in the first.  

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Neither would I actually.  Ballard prioritizes the fronts, he likely would prioritize keeping the Colts with a top 10 OL over getting a new QB.  

In that case he might grab a new QB at the top of the 2nd.  The negative of that is of course we don't get the pick of the litter.  The positive of that is that QB's drafted in the 2nd round are fairly easy to walk away from if they don't turn into something.  So he could get a guy, see what he becomes, and if it's not panning out go into the next draft looking for a QB in the first.  

Yeah.  Also the line is the one thing they can hang their hat on and losing AC would be a huge blow to that leaving them with nothing.  So going LT high makes a lot of sense.  

They probably won’t have their pick of the litter at QB at 13 anyway, especially if Tau stays in school.  I think there might only be two other first round worthy QBs in this draft and they would maybe be gone by then.  

I also think as much as people don’t want to hear this having Brissett back for another year let’s you draft a kid in the second and let him sit until he’s developed a little and they can use Brissett as a bridge and good mentor when the time comes to make the switch.  

worst case is that if they both stink you draft a QB again.  Like you said a second rounder is much easier to give up on if you have too.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah.  Also the line is the one thing they can hang their hat on and losing AC would be a huge blow to that leaving them with nothing.  So going LT high makes a lot of sense.  

They probably won’t have their pick of the litter at QB at 13 anyway, especially if Tau stays in school.  I think there might only be two other first round worthy QBs in this draft and they would maybe be gone by then.  

I also think as much as people don’t want to hear this having Brissett back for another year let’s you draft a kid in the second and let him sit until he’s developed a little and they can use Brissett as a bridge and good mentor when the time comes to make the switch.  

worst case is that if they both stink you draft a QB again.  Like you said a second rounder is much easier to give up on if you have too.  

I think the question would be which QB's fall into the top of the 2nd?  I've seen some mocks that have us taking Easton at 34.  Love could also fall there but I doubt it.  I think some coach is going to see his arm talent and say that he can fix all of the other issues.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think the question would be which QB's fall into the top of the 2nd?  I've seen some mocks that have us taking Easton at 34.  Love could also fall there but I doubt it.  I think some coach is going to see his arm talent and say that he can fix all of the other issues.  

Fromm will probably be there too.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

No he’s not. I took it that way too. 

• Like 1

AC ----> "Chris, are you going to get a franchise QB?"  ----> Ballard "Yes"   AC ---> "I'll Stay"

"                 "                         "                             "               ----> Ballard "We have one" AC ---> "I have decided to retire, I've really enjoyed my time here but want to spend more time with my family"

The word first has multiple uses.  The only person who took what Holder said to mean his first choice was to come back was you.  Everyone else took it as he meant it, here are the two things he’s deciding between and here’s the first one and here is the second.  That became clear when Holder said “and the other is...”

Superman you just misread something on Twitter it’s no big deal we have all done it at some point.  You fixed the thread title so let’s just move on?

I moved on when I changed the thread title back. 

The word first has multiple uses.  The only person who took what Holder said to mean his first choice was to come back was you.

That's not true, I took it that way, so have others on this thread.

Everyone else took it as he meant it, here are the two things he’s deciding between and here’s the first one and here is the second.  That became clear when Holder said “and the other is...”

It's pretty clear, his first choice is to sign with the Colts.  If he can't do that, then his other choice is to retire.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's not true, I took it that way, so have others on this thread.

It's pretty clear, his first choice is to sign with the Colts.  If he can't do that, then his other choice is to retire.

No it’s not.  See Frank Reich’s comments about it.

What is clear is that Holder meant first as in the first of two things I am going to tell you which he made clear when he said “and the other is retirement”.  He was NOT saying first as in his first choice is to comeback to the Colts and then retire if the Colts don’t want him.  

A quick look at Holder’s twitter right after that, or anyone else who covers the Colts also makes that clear.  Follow that up with Reich saying they want him back but that all guys need space at the end of the year and that haven’t talked about when he will make his decision makes it even clearer.  

I don’t want AC to retire but it’s pretty clear he’s strongly considering it and if he wants to comeback the Colts will welcome him back with open arms.

Just now, Orioles22 said:

If both Hilton and Costanzo miss Luck that much, and are his best friends on the team, I wonder if they can get him back...

I don’t know if either of their situations have as much to do with who the QB is as much as fans want it too.  

I think TY was frustrated with a frustrating season.  

I think AC is deciding if he still wants to play or not and that would have probably happened regardless of the QB.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it’s not.  See Frank Reich’s comments about it.

What is clear is that Holder meant first as in the first of two things I am going to tell you which he made clear when he said “and the other is retirement”.  He was NOT saying first as in his first choice is to comeback to the Colts and then retire if the Colts don’t want him.  

A quick look at Holder’s twitter right after that, or anyone else who covers the Colts also makes that clear.  Follow that up with Reich saying they want him back but that all guys need space at the end of the year and that haven’t talked about when he will make his decision makes it even clearer.  

Like Superman said, that's editorializing.  Just because the Colts want him back does not mean they will be able to work out a contract.  Maybe they Colts want him back on a 1 year deal, probably not but again just because the Colts want him back does not mean they will re-sign him.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t want AC to retire but it’s pretty clear he’s strongly considering it and if he wants to comeback the Colts will welcome him back with open arms.

The only thing that is clear is AC said he has two options Signing with the Colts or retiring.  He never said he is strongly considering it, Reich never said he is strongly considering it.  All he said was if he retires it's for personal reasons.  Nothing more.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'd love to get Chris Jones, but the Chiefs are crazy if they let him walk. Sammy Watkins is their second highest paid player. Anthony Hitchens is sixth. They can get rid of either, or both, and replace their production without breaking a sweat, and keep Jones. That would be my approach if I were them.

Agreed.   I’m not expecting KC to let him get out the door.

But....

Its gone this far and nothing.   So?  Maybe?

Then, Ballard would have to do a very un-Ballard like thing.   Win an open bidding war!   Not sure if 5/100 does that?   Might have to go to 6/120.   Spotrac pegged the Jones AAV at roughly $18.5.   I just rounded up. 

Can we see Ballard pushing that much to the center of the table?  I don’t think so.   But this year might force him to consider doing things he ordinarily does not like to do. 

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Like Superman said, that's editorializing.  Just because the Colts want him back does not mean they will be able to work out a contract.  Maybe they Colts want him back on a 1 year deal, probably not but again just because the Colts want him back does not mean they will re-sign him.

The only thing that is clear is AC said he has two options Signing with the Colts or retiring.  He never said he is strongly considering it, Reich never said he is strongly considering it.  All he said was if he retires it's for personal reasons.  Nothing more.

No it’s not.  This isn’t AC saying I want to comeback but only if the Colts will have me.  This is him saying I am not sure if I want to comeback regardless of if the Colts want me.  

There are several direct quotes supporting this.  Everyone who gets paid to cover the Colts covered it this way.  Even the coach pretty much said we are waiting to see what AC wants to do.

The ONLY thing to suggest that AC said I want to comeback but only if the Colts will have me is if you misinterpreted what Holder meant when he said “first”.  That’s editorializing.  

Everything else contradicts this view point and the only people pushing are people arguing for it to be that way on a message board.  

Look at all these links and tell which of them support the idea that AC wants to comeback but only if the Colts want him.  Spoiler they don’t.  They say AC is thinking about retiring regardless of if the Colts want him.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211689805479845890

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211706900435406849

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211707811010359298

all of those from Holder around the time he sent his other tweet making it even clearer he did not mean ACs first choice is to stay with the Colts and second choice was to retire and he meant AC is considering retirement in general.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211726530096746496

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimayello/status/1211726529383849987

reich taking about AC.

https://fox59.com/2019/12/30/its-going-to-be-a-decision-i-make-colts-anthony-castonzo-says-retirement-is-an-option/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

story from chappal.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimayello/status/1211707666520793092

Jim Ayello who talked to AC directly.  

This is not rocket science.  Like it or not AC is thinking about walking away and not just if him and the Colts can’t agree on a contact.  I don’t like it and don’t want him to go but I am not going live in denial and pretend he’s not considering it.  

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

They draft #16, plenty of talent  remaining.

If you are taking about the Colts they pick at 13 even more talent there lol. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it’s not.  This isn’t AC saying I want to comeback but only if the Colts will have me.  This is him saying I am not sure if I want to comeback regardless of if the Colts want me.  

There are several direct quotes supporting this.  Everyone who gets paid to cover the Colts covered it this way.  Even the coach pretty much said we are waiting to see what AC wants to do.

The ONLY thing to suggest that AC said I want to comeback but only if the Colts will have me is if you misinterpreted what Holder meant when he said “first”.  That’s editorializing.  

Everything else contradicts this view point and the only people pushing are people arguing for it to be that way on a message board.  

Look at all these links and tell which of them support the idea that AC wants to comeback but only if the Colts want him.  Spoiler they don’t.  They say AC is thinking about retiring regardless of if the Colts want him.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211689805479845890

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211706900435406849

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211707811010359298

all of those from Holder around the time he sent his other tweet making it even clearer he did not mean ACs first choice is to stay with the Colts and second choice was to retire and he meant AC is considering retirement in general.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211726530096746496

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimayello/status/1211726529383849987

reich taking about AC.

https://fox59.com/2019/12/30/its-going-to-be-a-decision-i-make-colts-anthony-castonzo-says-retirement-is-an-option/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

story from chappal.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimayello/status/1211707666520793092

Jim Ayello who talked to AC directly.  

This is not rocket science.  Like it or not AC is thinking about walking away and not just if him and the Colts can’t agree on a contact.  I don’t like it and don’t want him to go but I am not going live in denial and pretend he’s not considering it.  

If you are taking about the Colts they pick at 13 even more talent there lol. 

You had this right from the start, but don't let it drive you nuts.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if either of their situations have as much to do with who the QB is as much as fans want it too.  

I think TY was frustrated with a frustrating season.  

I think AC is deciding if he still wants to play or not and that would have probably happened regardless of the QB.

Spot on.