Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edit: AC considering retirement

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if either of their situations have as much to do with who the QB is as much as fans want it too.  

I think TY was frustrated with a frustrating season.  

I think AC is deciding if he still wants to play or not and that would have probably happened regardless of the QB.

I don't think it is only QB, but I do think the QB and how long the team is going to be mediocre/non-competitive play a big part in it.

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed.   I’m not expecting KC to let him get out the door.

But....

Its gone this far and nothing.   So?  Maybe?

Then, Ballard would have to do a very un-Ballard like thing.   Win an open bidding war!   Not sure if 5/100 does that?   Might have to go to 6/120.   Spotrac pegged the Jones AAV at roughly $18.5.   I just rounded up. 

Can we see Ballard pushing that much to the center of the table?  I don’t think so.   But this year might force him to consider doing things he ordinarily does not like to do. 

I think the key is he's a second round pick, so no fifth year option. I expect them to use the tag if they have to. 

If not, it would make sense for Ballard to break the bank on him, but he's the kind of guy that rarely ever makes it to free agency. 

• Thanks 1

At least he's letting the team know right now and not 2 weeks before the 2020 season.

Most of the team is young. If the team has to go LT and wait on getting a QB in the draft then so be it. Bring over Rivers for his final season... something... anything other than JB starting for another season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dumb question but how hard is it to move a RT like smith to LT and maybe get another guard. It’s easier to find a guard. Or maybe Haeg can be a starting guard.

To me, Smith ought to slide into the RG spot, which happens to be what he was drafted to be.  I’d rather see a top flight OT drafted that allows Smith to move back to what was supposed to be his best position.  Oh, also re-sign Castonzo, and then in 3 years your young RT stud slides to the left side to take over for the then retiring AC.  Plus, this way, the OL’s weakest link, Glowinski, is replaced. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vexed said:

I hope they use a higher pick on the OL. I’m an old school trenches guy and would be drafting high every year on the LOS

Ballard also has made no secret that he believed in building from the trenches out.  Personally, I’d rather draft a stud OT and use free agency for a place holder QB. Teams have won SBs with place holder QBs plenty of times.  Make that OL even stronger, build that DL, and get some offensive weapons, I say. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks.  I almost didn't come to this board because I knew there would be a ton of over-reactions.

Funny, AC says he sees two options for this offseason... resign with the Colts or retire and everyone focuses on the retiring, no one focuses on the fact he wants to sign a new contract with the Colts.

Once a guy thinks about retirement he already has then mentally. He probably will never be all in even with a big fat contract.

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure it's because of Brissett. They need to cut him immediately. I don't care if it tips our hand. The locker room is falling apart.

Really, because of another player on the team a person would consider retiring....  I know Brissett hasn't been performing but, that's over the top.... 

• Like 2

Sounds like a negotiating tool.  If retiring was #1 on his list he'd just retire, right? 

Plus he made it easy on the organization by starting implying he doesnt want to play anywhere else.  Its having the desired effect on the fanbase though.

I'd expect a bump in salary/signing bonus/incentives and we see him in a Colts uni next year with his replacement playing behind him (maybe next year?).

Cant blame him for being frustrated tho.  Luck set us back a few years (for the record, I don't blame luck for retiring either).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, funny how things change.

Just last season AC was talked about like he was a dog by many in this forum. 

I won't go back and see who those members were but you know who you are. 

he had one bad game last year and a lot of people were trashing him afterwords

i dont think hes allowed a sack or holding penalty since 

9 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Really, because of another player on the team a person would consider retiring....  I know Brissett hasn't been performing but, that's over the top.... 

i think its more about luck retiring than who his replacement is, luck is his best freind too

AC is really intellectual for an oline, degree in bio chemistry and has said he intends to pursue medicine.  maybe he thinks its time rather than keep risking his body for a 7-9 team 

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

There is nothing true in either of those sentences.

Once I was ready to retire it certainly was for me. Mentally can’t wait to leave the job and was just doing enough to get by. If he gets hurt just watch to see how fast he comes back. Oh those hamstring injuries And sore backs are a +.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think its more about luck retiring than who his replacement is, luck is his best freind too

AC is really intellectual for an oline, degree in bio chemistry and has said he intends to pursue medicine.  maybe he thinks its time rather than keep risking his body for a 7-9 team 

...and several million a year?

4 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Sounds like a negotiating tool.  If retiring was #1 on his list he'd just retire, right? 

Your opinion, right?  Not all people try to use any leverage available to get more green.  Could be, but not the only possibility.  Who said retirement was #1 on his list?  The season just ended and I am sure he is really disappointed.  Maybe he will retire.  Look how long it took Luck to make that decision.  You are taking about walking away from something that has dominated your life for most of these guys since they were in grade school.

We know what he has said but none of us know what is really going on in his head.  It is possible he is feeling done.  Getting physically and mentally ready to do this every year is something we can't possibly understand.  And then to get physically beat up every week.  If he doesn't see a path to a Superbowl and his heart isn't in it maybe he considers retirement.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes made 50 million already and has plans to set up a medical research foundation 

Yes. For people who haven't earned several million in their lives - which would include most of us - it's hard to imagine walking away from that much money.

I am planning to retire next year.  I am making pretty good money (not millions!) and I am only 58.  I could stay where I am for quite a few more years if I wanted, but I am not sure if a few more years is worth it.  

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

So, he is like AL - he has no need for the game any longer.  Good for him!

Yep.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

There is nothing true in either of those sentences.

Maybe a bit of truth in that when you think of retiring, it is hard to come back from.  Seeing that light at the end of the tunnel is great for most people.  

He needs to talk to his buddy Andrew.  Tell him how frustrated he and his teammates are and he would be willing to come back and go for a SB if he would return to lead the team.  With him they can do it.  Deep down Luck knows it.  He misses the game and his teammates and together they return.  What a happy chain of events.  No more drama.    If only it would happen. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, Superman said:

I'd love to get Chris Jones, but the Chiefs are crazy if they let him walk. Sammy Watkins is their second highest paid player. Anthony Hitchens is sixth. They can get rid of either, or both, and replace their production without breaking a sweat, and keep Jones. That would be my approach if I were them.

It's not farfetched they let houston and frank clark go plus they have to pay mahomes big money eventually

3 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

It's not farfetched they let houston and frank clark go plus they have to pay mahomes big money eventually

Houston was older and had been hurt and not producing. They traded for and re-signed Frank Clark, but got rid of Dee Ford, so that's a wash on the books (and ultimately cost them a first rounder, for a better player who is two years younger).

Chris Jones is a foundational player. They do have to pay Mahomes, but they can manage that as they get some cap relief in 2021. 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Thank goodness lol. 

On 12/30/2019 at 1:53 PM, Chloe6124 said:

No that’s not what he said. He said he has some decisions to make and retirement is on the table. Let’s not forget who his best friend is.  I will be shocked if he comes back.

For the love of god please stop.  In the first post, you're relieved because Hilton said AC isn't retiring.  Barely an hour later you "will be shocked if he comes back."  

There's no time limit on hitting the "Submit reply" button.  You can sit and re-read the post you've written, multiple times if necessary (which I would encourage), and think about what you've written before submitting the reply.  Please do everyone on the forum a favor and start doing that.

:)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it’s not.  This isn’t AC saying I want to comeback but only if the Colts will have me.  This is him saying I am not sure if I want to comeback regardless of if the Colts want me.  

There are several direct quotes supporting this.  Everyone who gets paid to cover the Colts covered it this way.  Even the coach pretty much said we are waiting to see what AC wants to do.

The ONLY thing to suggest that AC said I want to comeback but only if the Colts will have me is if you misinterpreted what Holder meant when he said “first”.  That’s editorializing.  

Everything else contradicts this view point and the only people pushing are people arguing for it to be that way on a message board.  

Look at all these links and tell which of them support the idea that AC wants to comeback but only if the Colts want him.  Spoiler they don’t.  They say AC is thinking about retiring regardless of if the Colts want him.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211689805479845890

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211706900435406849

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211707811010359298

all of those from Holder around the time he sent his other tweet making it even clearer he did not mean ACs first choice is to stay with the Colts and second choice was to retire and he meant AC is considering retirement in general.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1211726530096746496

https://mobile.twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1211726578209771522

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimayello/status/1211726529383849987

reich taking about AC.

https://fox59.com/2019/12/30/its-going-to-be-a-decision-i-make-colts-anthony-castonzo-says-retirement-is-an-option/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

story from chappal.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimayello/status/1211707666520793092

Jim Ayello who talked to AC directly.  

This is not rocket science.  Like it or not AC is thinking about walking away and not just if him and the Colts can’t agree on a contact.  I don’t like it and don’t want him to go but I am not going live in denial and pretend he’s not considering it.  

If you are taking about the Colts they pick at 13 even more talent there lol. 

Wow, a whole lot of words that basically say nothing.  All your links are the same three phrases over and over again.

First option sign with the Colts

Second option retirement

Why retirements - Personal reasons, some things to think about.

Colts position - They want AC as their LT.

That is it.  I've never claimed he's not considering retirement.  I'm just not over-reacting to it, nor am I adding things that are not there to his comments.

You can panic and cry about it all you want, I look at it more as someone who had a great season on a team that ended mediocre, frustrated, body doesn't respond like it used to and probably has enough money to finance something he is passionate about.  Nothing more and quite frankly nothing new in the football world.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Now WHO is getting hysterical?

How about this...  QB,  LT,  WR.    

First round, second round, second round.   PLUS we have free agency.  We might fill a spot or two from there.  

Lots of possibilities...

you better go lt first in order to get a plug and play

1 hour ago, reidaj1812 said:

you better go lt first in order to get a plug and play

Yes....  agreed....  I’ve long thought our pick from the Skins at the top of the second might be the perfect spot for Ballard to grab his QB.   I was only thinking which position is most important — quarterback.

But I think you’re right, if AC retires (and that’s a big IF) then take a LT in the first, a QB at the top of the 2nd, and a WR with our own pick in the middle of the 2nd — approx pick 45.  

Thanks. 

• Like 1