Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have waived WR Deon Cain (and more)

MTC

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

but it is true that I was very disappointed in Hoyer as a traditional game manager.  You just got that sense that you never have wit Brissett that the team wasn't quite all pulling in the same direction, especially with the mistakes on the defensive end of the game and the relative lack of discipline.

That really should be one of Hoyer's key areas, but that goes to something we can't track easily on the scout sheet -- the team just doesn't know brian Hoyer as well as they know Jacoby Brissett, and it makes a difference in a million subtle ways.

Losing the center matters more than some fans think as well.  Ryan Kelly is a literally and figuratively huge member of the team.  Centers are like catchers in baseball -- a good one is way, way more than the sum of their parts.

This is what I was saying about the lack of discipline. Maybe those mental mistakes don’t happen when you have that calming influence of JB.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What the....     Heck?!?

The team plays a bad game in all three phases and you chalk it all up to Hoyer was a good game manager and the team wasn’t pulling in the same direction?

Holy Cow!!

Sorry...    can’t help you.   I think that’s a YOU problem and I didn’t read that anywhere else.   I don’t even know how you arrived at that conclusion?   And you explained yourself and I’m still confused.  

I thought Hoyer was pretty darn good.   One bad pass?  I think Reich and Ballard would take Hoyer’s performance any time.   Not sure you can expect much more from a back up. 

I said the same thing. jB never gets rattled and is a nice calming influence. I personally think the mental mistakes don’t happen if JB had not got injured. So that poster isn’t the only one that thinks that

9 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

but it is true that I was very disappointed in Hoyer as a traditional game manager.  You just got that sense that you never have wit Brissett that the team wasn't quite all pulling in the same direction, especially with the mistakes on the defensive end of the game and the relative lack of discipline.

That really should be one of Hoyer's key areas, but that goes to something we can't track easily on the scout sheet -- the team just doesn't know brian Hoyer as well as they know Jacoby Brissett, and it makes a difference in a million subtle ways.

Losing the center matters more than some fans think as well.  Ryan Kelly is a literally and figuratively huge member of the team.  Centers are like catchers in baseball -- a good one is way, way more than the sum of their parts.

Subtle differences...LOL. Subtle...as in you can't actually point to anything.

This narrative is pretty ridiculous...that the Colts players suddenly lost their way because JB got hurt...and started making mistakes.

The only thing that was really Hoyer's fault was the poor decision to throw that ball that was picked off. The fumble wasn't even really on him because the playcall sucked AND his All-Pro left side got destroyed by PIT's DL.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

yup, and the facts are,

1) TY was out the second half of the ATL game (goes with my earlier point)

2) Pascal was invisible for the majority of the game to JB, and only got a couple targets. IIRC, at least one, if not both, were broken type plays and/or blown coverage.

so really not a great example of WRs being visible to JB in a typical situations

sorry, but you left some fact out

In the ATL game, on both of Pascal's catches...he was the first read...so of course JB saw him...because he was starting at him (and he was wide open).

Those were great play calls from Reich that took advantage of ATL's weaknesses...and great execution from JB and Pascal. But ATL's pass defense is atrocious...so it's not always going to be that easy.

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Subtle differences...LOL. Subtle...as in you can't actually point to anything.

I can't point to stats, no.  But the discipline was not there on either side of the ball.  They didn't play terrible but the offense was just sloppier with Hoyer in there, and it stands to reason because, again, players aren't as familiar with Hoyer and the trust factor isn't there.

it's nothing magical, it's just the difference between a guy you practiced with for years and a guy who was brought in after training camp this season.  

And I hasten to mention that Hoyer still managed the game adequately, even with the disastrous giveaway which frankly can happen to anyone.  But there was a crispness in execution, especially in the last minutes of the game, that Brissett frequently manages and Hoyer didn't quite rise to that level.

Really unfortunate for Cain. For reasons mostly unknown, it just didn't pan out. The more recent missed opportunities kind of put the nail in it. If he makes it through waivers will be very telling. Would think there would be quite a few professional teams with professional evaluators looking at him. If he makes a roster somewhere else, good luck to him. Since this thread has turned into JB vs CK vs BH, I will again trust professional coaches, evaluators, that if CK was the answer, he would be given the opportunity. It is all about winning. Miami could be a perfect time to try an experiment, but this staff isn't willing to risk it. We are in the critical stretch of the season. 

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

You're right on all counts. Thing is, we know what Hoyer is at his best..a 4 / 10 QB (or pick whatever number you like he's sub par on balance).  I think of all of  the people, including myself, that see some real upside in Kelly this seems like a perfect opportunity.  His talent may not materialize, I understand that, but this is exactly the kind of game (at home, feature the run, not amazing opponent) where we could find out about the kid.  To be honest, I really like this team but I fear we'll be an average playoff team which doesn't make me all gooey inside.  This, for me, could just be a tale of curiosity killed the cat, I understand that, but to be honest, I'm super curious! :)  Go Colts!!!!

The Colts still have a legit chance at winning and teaching the playoffs.   As long as that hope remains alive yiu cant use Kelly as a starter as an experiment simply because you’re curious. 

If the Colts start losing, with either Hoyer or Brissett, and you mathematically are eliminated,  THEN you can put Kelly in the game as a starter.  But not before.   

As long as we’re in the hunt, the Colts owe to all the players to start their best.   And right now, that means Hoyer. 

By the way....   I know you’re curious.  Honestly, me too.    And I also appreciate your post was fair and reasonable. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said the same thing. jB never gets rattled and is a nice calming influence. I personally think the mental mistakes don’t happen if JB had not got injured. So that poster isn’t the only one that thinks that

How does JB’s calming influence impact the defense and special teams?    I agree it has an impact on the offense.    But if you’re a professional,  you have to stay focused on your job no matter who the QB is.   

Hasselback backed up Luck and the team did well.   You can’t blame Hoyer for the entire team playing so sloppy.   Sometimes that just happens.   By the way, another poster pointed to the loss of Ryan Kelly at center as a contributing factor in the OL’s performance. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How does JB’s calming influence impact the defense and special teams?    I agree it has an impact on the offense.    But if you’re a professional,  you have to stay focused on your job no matter who the QB is.   

Hasselback backed up Luck and the team did well.   You can’t blame Hoyer for the entire team playing so sloppy.   Sometimes that just happens.   By the way, another poster pointed to the loss of Ryan Kelly at center as a contributing factor in the OL’s performance. 

The injury affects everyone    

Look, you can't have HOFamers at every position, but.....

Regardless if its JB, Hoyer, or even Luck, what would the O look like if we Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark (all 1st rounders) and Brandon Stokely.....like we had a while back.  How about Edgerrin James.  4 first rounders in the skilled positions.

I'm not advocating that we devote that much capital.  I'm saying look at the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

LOL. Kelly hasn’t played one snap in the NFL. You can’t possibly know if he is more talented then Jacoby. There is no way to know that. 

There is plenty out there that shows he has more talent. It has nothing to do with the NFL. It has to do with his abilities and he has more than JB as a QB. The dude was born to play QB. He just doesn't have the mindset. If we could combine JB and CK youd have your franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

There is plenty out there that shows he has more talent. It has nothing to do with the NFL. It has to do with his abilities and he has more than JB as a QB. The dude was born to play QB. He just doesn't have the mindset. If we could combine JB and CK youd have your franchise QB. 

No you can’t know that without seeing him in a actual game against real nfl starters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No you can’t know that without seeing him in a actual game against real nfl starters.

I dont think CK is ready for that mentally. JB has the mindset, and the leadership abilities. But CK is more physically gifted, which is what I mean by talent. I dont need to see him play against NFL starters to know he is the more gifted athlete than JB is. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Dear God...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts still have a legit chance at winning and teaching the playoffs.   As long as that hope remains alive yiu cant use Kelly as a starter as an experiment simply because you’re curious. 

If the Colts start losing, with either Hoyer or Brissett, and you mathematically are eliminated,  THEN you can put Kelly in the game as a starter.  But not before.   

As long as we’re in the hunt, the Colts owe to all the players to start their best.   And right now, that means Hoyer. 

By the way....   I know you’re curious.  Honestly, me too.    And I also appreciate your post was fair and reasonable. 

Yeah, I know Hoyer is the right answer, if I were the Coach, I'd start Hoyertoo, BUT as a fan... It's why I have a day job!  Thanks for the input...Until next time!

• Thanks 1

In an odd way, I think Funchess getting hurt game 1 actually hampered Cain's growth.  I think Cain could have learned a lot from watching JB & Funchess work together the first half of the season.  I hope he clears waivers and can get back on the practice squad.  Funchess should be back soon.  Maybe he can still soak up some game. 

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

In an odd way, I think Funchess getting hurt game 1 actually hampered Cain's growth.  I think Cain could have learned a lot from watching JB & Funchess work together the first half of the season.  I hope he clears waivers and can get back on the practice squad.  Funchess should be back soon.  Maybe he can still soak up some game. 

I think your right. He was supposed to be worked back in slowly. Instead with that injury he ended up having more snaps and being expected to do more then he was ready for.

6 minutes ago, Calmack said:

On an unrelated note, look up Chad Kelly's mugshot, er I mean headshot.. Y'all really want that to be the face of the franchise? 

Dude looks like Flats the Flounder. 

I will say though from posts I seen on IG. Kelly has really fit in with the other players. I seen him playing corn hole with the other guys and they seem to like him. I think the culture here was good for him. I have seen him hanging with other players off the field. If he doesn’t stick around here I hope this experience made him grow up and turn into a leader so he can get a chance somewhere.

21 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly they had one rookie WR on the roster.  They have a pro-bowler and added a capable vet to go along with a guys in Pascel and Rogers who had played well in years past plus a rookie second rounder and kid who was a draft pick the year before.

what has happened is that Rogers has taken a step backwards and they have been decimated by injury.  

Rogers stinks Inman was a lot better than him.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This might be your favorite post of the season so far!   Not only do you get to be negative (your preferred way of posting!) but you get to be negative about not one, not two, but three different players! 

Hoyer, Johnson, Cain!   Three of a kind!   All in one post!   It’s Christmas in November for you!! 

I hate to break this to everybody unless Brissett returns in less than a month Hoyer may win a couple games in that time frame but if Brissett ends up missing more time than expected Hoyer isn't going to save our season.

5 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I hate to break this to everybody unless Brissett returns in less than a month Hoyer may win a couple games in that time frame but if Brissett ends up missing more time than expected Hoyer isn't going to save our season.

The Colts have already exceeded my expectations, it is what it is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Earlier on 1070 the Colts pre-game show, they said Brissett was at 85% and if it was a playoff game he would play. He will play next week unless he stubs his toe getting out of the shower lmao .

If the Colts get to 6-3, they are a lot better than I would say 75% of the forum thought we would be after Luck retired. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Earlier on 1070 the Colts pre-game show, they said Brissett was at 85% and if it was a playoff game he would play. He will play next week unless he stubs his toe getting out of the shower lmao .

If the Colts get to 6-3, they are a lot better than I would say 75% of the forum thought we would be after Luck retired. 

I'm definitely satisfied with how we've done so far this season.

We had all the ingredients for an implosion so to speak.

It isn't one of those totally lost seasons with no highlights that you forever forget about once the season is over.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What the....     Heck?!?

The team plays a bad game in all three phases and you chalk it all up to Hoyer was a good game manager and the team wasn’t pulling in the same direction?

Holy Cow!!

Sorry...    can’t help you.   I think that’s a YOU problem and I didn’t read that anywhere else.   I don’t even know how you arrived at that conclusion?   And you explained yourself and I’m still confused.  

I thought Hoyer was pretty darn good.   One bad pass?  I think Reich and Ballard would take Hoyer’s performance any time.   Not sure you can expect much more from a back up. 

Yes, yes, yes.

And I wish the moderators would LIMIT the number of posts from this Chloe person...it is becoming "post pollution".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calmack said:

On an unrelated note, look up Chad Kelly's mugshot, er I mean headshot.. Y'all really want that to be the face of the franchise? 

Dude looks like Flats the Flounder. 

Almost as bad as Brissett's mug...dude looks like a lumberjack who just wandered in from the forest.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Brissett is supposed to be back next week.  

But you make a fair point.... Hoyer has his limitations... and the more he plays the greater the risk of him being exposed.   It’s not breaking news. 

But Hoyer is decent and we can win a game here and there with him.   We just have to hope he doesn’t have to start for a month straight... 

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He's already a "legend."

But beating Miami today would lock up a Gold Jacket.

Like Ocho Cinco's? 

jacket_pg_600.jpg

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I suppose now is a bad time to mention Hoyer is 0 - 9 in his last nine starts? Hopefully that reverses today.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Yes, yes, yes.

And I wish the moderators would LIMIT the number of posts from

ummmm... not happening... {if no rules broken}

this Chloe person...it is becoming "post pollution".

Hmmm... checking if there is even a post pollution rule... or a violation...  :blah:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brissett is supposed to be back next week.  

But you make a fair point.... Hoyer has his limitations... and the more he plays the greater the risk of him being exposed.   It’s not breaking news. 

But Hoyer is decent and we can win a game here and there with him.   We just have to hope he doesn’t have to start for a month straight... 

Today he is trash we are losing to the worst team in football at home embarrassing horrible pathetic.