Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Slowly Coming around To liking Brisett

Shadow_Creek

The irony is the Colts we have today were built for Luck. He bows out and everyone says the Colts can be good enough with the talent they have despite Brissett. Then Brissett hits the playing field and Colts fans could not be happier. Now Reich will build this team round him and he will get better as he progresses and already the Colts are mentioned as possible SB participants for this season. The future is bright.

• Like 8

Obviously, He came through, when the running game was held in check, more or less. So he answered a lot of questions about not having a 300 yard passing game. I thought the defense came through, when they needed to, And the coaching strategy, of taking what the defense of Houston was giving them on offense played out well. I knew that the Texans would make a push at the end, and it was a total team effort on both sides of the ball.   

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

The irony is the Colts we have today were built for Luck. He bows out and everyone says the Colts can be good enough with the talent they have despite Brissett. Then Brissett hits the playing field and Colts fans could not be happier. Now Reich will build this team round him and he will get better as he progresses and already the Colts are mentioned as possible SB participants for this season. The future is bright.

If you remember , Ballard has maintained from the beginning that it’s not all about the QB as he builds his team.  They have always believed we could win with JB.  They said it many times but we just doubted it. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

If you remember , Ballard has maintained from the beginning that it’s not all about the QB as he builds his team.  They have always believed we could win with JB.  They said it many times but we, I just doubted it. 

Fixed it for ya. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer Brissett, at least right now, over Luck at QB. Brissett seems to be the better leader, is more passionate about the game and his teammates, and is playing smart football by not turning the ball over. Something Luck would do on occasion. 

Things would get interesting if Luck decided to come back next year, and we just came off a year where Brissett had very good stats and got us in the playoffs. I'd almost prefer considering getting a ransom for Luck at that point via trade. 

• Like 5

Every week JB has done what has been asked of him.  Take care of the ball - check, hand it off to Mack  Check, Houston stacking the box, "Throw the Damn Ball" - check.  We hadn't even come close to seeing this Kids ceiling.   I am very excited to see the next step!

Just now, JustAColtsFan said:

Every week JB has done what has been asked of him.  Take care of the ball - check, hand it off to Mack  Check, Houston stacking the box, "Throw the Damn Ball" - check.  We haven't even come close to seeing this Kids ceiling.   I am very excited to see the next step!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer Brissett, at least right now, over Luck at QB. 

I don't think it's crazy. 

I just learned that last year when the Colts were 1-5 it was Brissett, not Luck that called the players only meeting that helped turn things around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer Brissett, at least right now, over Luck at QB. Brissett seems to be the better leader, is more passionate about the game and his teammates, and is playing smart football by not turning the ball over. Something Luck would do on occasion. 

Things would get interesting if Luck decided to come back next year, and we just came off a year where Brissett had very good stats and got us in the playoffs. I'd almost prefer considering getting a ransom for Luck at that point via trade. 

If we get good trade value, I'm not against it.

The question is, is the drop-off in trade value between the 2 players worth the drop-off in talent between the 2 players? 

I was thinking that Brissett Needed more time to develop, The 2017 season was brutal when we started him though. I wanted to trade for a different QB at the start like Manning or Easton Stick, He's really developing with the new Frank Reich, and I think Reich is a huge factor on his ability to win right now.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

And he doesn't sound mentally deranged when he speaks like Luck does.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Fixed it for ya. 

Not me.  I’ve been on the JB wagon since Reich asked Ballard to please keep him back before Luck retired. I knew then that he must be pretty special to Frank and when Frank says someone is good he seems to be right.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Darnold is playing like Ryan Leaf tonight, good God he looks awful. 

But Darnold has also had Luck like games as well so he isn’t a terrible QB. The pats have the #1 defense don’t they? I mean, I’ll give Darnold a pass on this game this early on in his career. 

I swear the pats have technology that is intercepting the other teams communications. No way they are this solid for this long using cast offs from other teams in the process. That team stinks of something and I hope someday, it gets exposed. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

But Darnold has also had Luck like games as well so he isn’t a terrible QB. The pats have the #1 defense don’t they? I mean, I’ll give Darnold a pass on this game this early on in his career. 

I swear the pats have technology that is intercepting the other teams communications. No way they are this solid for this long using cast offs from other teams in the process. That team stinks of something and I hope someday, it gets exposed. 

Who is their defensive coordinator? Who ever it is will be head coach somewhere next year.

37 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Not me.  I’ve been on the JB wagon since Reich asked Ballard to please keep him back before Luck retired. I knew then that he must be pretty special to Frank and when Frank says someone is good he seems to be right.

Me as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Nah, it's all a mind game, misdirection, + superior H.C.  Have you noticed every off season they have something happen that makes the headlines?  Mcdaniels next Colts coach, Gronk retires, Kraft caught in "me love long time parlor", Pats sign A.B.  Pats release A.B.  This is just in the last couple of years.  Get everyone to focus on the b-lls--t  and remove the pressure from the team.  They only have to do their job on gameday.

Without Belichick and his system, Brady is a good, not great QB.

Not a fan of B.B. but he is the reason the Pat's have been so successful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, egg said:

I don't think it's crazy. 

I just learned that last year when the Colts were 1-5 it was Brissett, not Luck that called the players only meeting that helped turn things around.

Seriously? That's the first I heard of that.

If that's true, that is very impressive for a backup QB to display that kind of leadership.

Never under estimate the importance of proper leadership. Sometimes I wondered if Andrew was assertive enough and this little nugget is an example of that. Jacoby on the other hand must be very assertive to have the guts to call a meeting like that. That meeting turned our season around and that's quite an impact from a backup QB that barely took any snaps last year. That's extremely impressive to me.

This team is in a great, great place if he can fill the void left by Andrew and his retirement. Its looking good so far.

I've been optimistic about JB since we lost our starter (Rest his soul) . But every Sunday (because hes unproven) I get nervous about JB and lose faith. So far, hes done a very good job. Doing just enough to keep us in games. 

Playing vs Houston and seeing how well he did (late game the whole team went prevent so not too worried there), gave me a lot more confidence. But it's hard to trust a guy who has to earn it in front of literally everyone in the league. 

I'll tell you what I do like however. 

Because Brissett doesn't have this mega obvious talent as a QB, they arent throwing the ball constantly. It's like because you have a franchise QB, you feel this need to throw the ball, even in situations you shouldn't. You rarely establish a ground game, and when you do, it is only in compliment to the pass. 

The Colts keep winning in different ways. They are multifaceted. So they CAN and DO play to their opponents weaknesses, and and have the ability to play almost any kind of offense (from what we have seen so far)..

with a top 5-7 QB, you just pass more. Vs KC, we would have passed more with any of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. But we didnt. Because we didnt have a top 5 QB to blur our vision from their weakness and our strength.. I think Frank experiencing this is great for our future. If JB becomes a top 10 QB (in most stats), this could mean heaps in the sense of valuing this team as a whole. Instead of everything being built around the QB, the team is built around the lines and go out.  

Something I was thinking about earlier with Brady. It is my opinion that he is a system QB. He is the best system QB of all time. But hes in the perfect system for his strengths to flourish. Sometimes it's just better to have the right system QB. Maybe JB is the perfect system QB for our system. Just a thought guys. 

We need to remember our addiction to winning as fans indeed blurs our own vision from seeing the true reality of things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Seriously? That's the first I heard of that.

If that's true, that is very impressive for a backup QB to display that kind of leadership.

Never under estimate the importance of proper leadership. Sometimes I wondered if Andrew was assertive enough and this little nugget is an example of that. Jacoby on the other hand must be very assertive to have the guts to call a meeting like that. That meeting turned our season around and that's quite an impact from a backup QB that barely took any snaps last year. That's extremely impressive to me.

This team is in a great, great place if he can fill the void left by Andrew and his retirement. Its looking good so far.

There's a video out there on youtube of Pat Mcafee saying if there was one thing about Luck he wasn't outspoken enough to grab everybody by the coat tails off the field or in the locker room to do the type of thing JB did with the players only meeting.  Wasn't really his style according to Mccafee. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I've been optimistic about JB since we lost our starter (Rest his soul) . But every Sunday (because hes unproven) I get nervous about JB and lose faith. So far, hes done a very good job. Doing just enough to keep us in games. 

Playing vs Houston and seeing how well he did (late game the whole team went prevent so not too worried there), gave me a lot more confidence. But it's hard to trust a guy who has to earn it in front of literally everyone in the league. 

I'll tell you what I do like however. 

Because Brissett doesn't have this mega obvious talent as a QB, they arent throwing the ball constantly. It's like because you have a franchise QB, you feel this need to throw the ball, even in situations you shouldn't. You rarely establish a ground game, and when you do, it is only in compliment to the pass. 

The Colts keep winning in different ways. They are multifaceted. So they CAN and DO play to their opponents weaknesses, and and have the ability to play almost any kind of offense (from what we have seen so far)..

with a top 5-7 QB, you just pass more. Vs KC, we would have passed more with any of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. But we didnt. Because we didnt have a top 5 QB to blur our vision from their weakness and our strength.. I think Frank experiencing this is great for our future. If JB becomes a top 10 QB (in most stats), this could mean heaps in the sense of valuing this team as a whole. Instead of everything being built around the QB, the team is built around the lines and go out.  

Something I was thinking about earlier with Brady. It is my opinion that he is a system QB. He is the best system QB of all time. But hes in the perfect system for his strengths to flourish. Sometimes it's just better to have the right system QB. Maybe JB is the perfect system QB for our system. Just a thought guys. 

We need to remember our addiction to winning as fans indeed blurs our own vision from seeing the true reality of things. 

Excellent post.

• Thanks 1

Somebody many weeks ago said JB reminded them of a young Tom Brady and I thought that was a bit crazy, but I'm sort of buying in to that with certain things as we move along here.  I'm talking more of the early stages of Tom Brady the way he used to execute the game plan to a tee and just manage things very well without costing the team the game.  Staying away from all the turnovers and doing much to keep the team in the game and letting his team mates rally.  I can see some of that stuff with JB.   He's capable of being more than a game manager I must clarify though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Somebody many weeks ago said JB reminded them of a young Tom Brady and I thought that was a bit crazy, but I'm sort of buying in to that with certain things as we move along here.  I'm talking more of the early stages of Tom Brady the way he used to execute the game plan to a tee and just manage things very well without costing the team the game.  Staying away from all the turnovers and doing much to keep the team in the game and letting his team mates rally.  I can see some of that stuff with JB.   He's capable of being more than a game manager I must clarify though. 

Right.

With Jacoby at the helm, we can attack our opponents based purely off situation and how they are defending us. We can truly ride the hot hand for the first time in a long time. If the OL is dominating we can hand it off on 3rd and 3, where if we have Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck we are almost certainly putting it in their hands, even if it lowers our chances of success. If the other team is loading up and making it tough to run, we can attack with play action. This makes us especially tough to defend situationally, and I think this has a lot to do with our high level of success in these situations. 

This is exactly what makes Brady so tough to deal with. He is more unpredictable than other top QBs.  And I think we are tapping into that recipe.

• Like 1

If there is one common denominator with BB coached teams it is this: THEY DON’T BEAT THEMSELVES!

That is why I am excited for the Colts this year. They are showing that same kind of discipline. Second in the league in fewest penalties and on the plus side of turnover deferential.

The Pats have a +14 differential which leads the league by far but you have to consider who they’ve played.

This may be a year where no one gives the Colts a shot to make it to the SB, but Reich finds a way to beat those %^£+#!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Just once I wish a coach playing against the Pat's would put in all his third stringers on defense for the patriots first drive. And told them to do everything they could to the offensive players of the patriots, just start a brawl, something that says, I'm not scared of you! ... What can I say? It's a fantasy of mine haha

Because every team that plays them looks so intimidated, punch em in the mouth and get some of that fire back for crying out loud. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Because every team that plays them looks so intimidated, punch em in the mouth and get some of that fire back for crying out loud. 

The only team not afraid of the Patriots is the Ravens... Ever since the Ray Lewis days. And to a lesser extent the Eli and Peyton Manning led teams

34 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

Jacoby had a great game. I'm genuinely happy that hes playing well and helping the team win. I really hope it continues. With that said I'm still not 100% sold hes a franchise QB. We all know the Texans and KC secondaries arent very good. 

I agree, I think great teams (like the Pats) will make it much harder on him.  The thing I don't like is that he still stares down the receivers too long instead of anticipating when they will be open.  I was at the game, and JB will give the receiver 1 to 2 seconds before he will throw it to them (after they are already "NFL open").  Now, some of these were crossing routes and he needed to give them that time, but sometimes the waiting costed us a lot of YAC.  Also, our wide receivers were WIDE open, he wasn't exactly threading the needle.

On the other hand, I at first thought that the "touchdown" metric was a fluke, and I still don't think it is the best metric as JB isn't exactly calling his own plays.  However, he is executing and his efficiency in the red zone can't be overlooked at this point.  A game manager that throws touchdown in the red zone......I might be able to get behind that, lol!

Also, being a game manger for amazing coaches like BB or Reich might not be the worst idea.  I wonder if Andrew would be checking out of runs in the KC game.....

• Like 1

I mentioned this above in my post but I wanted to post this just to let you see how emphatic Pat Mcafee is about Brissett being the vocal leader of the locker room the last couple years he says. And that was with Luck there as well.  He says it in a way that leaves very little doubt at all.  He says it like it wasn't even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have mentioned it in a few threads, I had my doubts about JB before the season.  My biggest concern was he did not seem to handle pressure well (pass rush pressure nor situational pressure) but he has proven my concern false this year.  The Houston game was a step in the right direction but his yards per attempt and yards per completion is still very low for a starting QB.

During the Houston game I thought, imagine what this team would do with an elite QB.  And then I wondered what would an elite QB do that JB wasn't doing in the game.  I don't think he's elite but he is still trending up which is great after 7 weeks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

Who is their defensive coordinator? Who ever it is will be head coach somewhere next year.

Officially?  Bill Belichick is doing it himself.

Unofficially?  I have no proof of this but I strongly suspect Steven Belichick, Bill's son and the current Patriots safeties coach, is stepping up and making at least some of the decisions.

The younger Belichick has been coaching the Patriots secondary for about  5-6 years now and he has 3 Superbowl rings.  He's about due for increased responsibilities anyway.  I'm honestly really surprised someone hasn't tried to hire the younger Belichick away with promise of more responsibility elsewhere

I'm beginning to wonder if the Patriots dynasty isn't on the cusp of becoming a dynasty indeed, with the heir apparent carefully groomed and being prepared to take his father's place at the head of the family and Bill semi-retiring to the GM position.

So yeah, Bill is taking the public exposure, but I strongly suspect that Steve is doing a lot of the real work.