Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Observations

CR91

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honest question I cant seem to answer...

Why are we victimized by RB passes so bad the past few years? Over pursuing, cant get off blocks, weakness in the scheme, etc? How do we fix it?

It’s very strange. We are a fast defense so you think that wouldn’t happen. Hopefully it was just the lack of preseason games and game speed.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Why are we victimized by RB passes so bad the past few years? Over pursuing, cant get off blocks, weakness in the scheme, etc? How do we fix it?

For the most part it's the weakness of the scheme.  There are certain reads that drop the LBers back, then combined with a quick and fast guy like Eckler and you get that result.

yesterday, the biggest problem was Moore kept tipping his hand on when he was going to blitz, so SD checked to the RB dump off and that was all she wrote.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

There were a lot of Colts fans at that stadium yesterday, I may have seen you and didn't realize it. Tough loss but we played a SB contender pretty evenly with a very good vet QB. Season looks promising, if we beat the Titans next Sunday all will be good. I fully expect the Texans to lose tonight at NO, and without Foles the Jags are toast. Brissett played well for the most part and our O.line dominated the 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There were a lot of Colts fans at that stadium yesterday, I may have seen you and didn't realize it. Tough loss but we played a SB contender pretty evenly with a very good vet QB. Season looks promising, if we beat the Titans next Sunday all will be good. I fully expect the Texans to lose tonight at NO, and without Foles the Jags are toast. Brissett played well for the most part and our O.line dominated the 2nd half.

Our section was so loud screaming defense. Yea im not worried at all. That was a great game by a very good team at their place with Brissett basically getting his first start as the legit starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Lewis didn't play. He was inactive.

Screen's just aren't our strong suit, defensively or offensively. I loathe seeing them run on us and even more when Reich calls them. Especially when he calls them on 2nd and very long's (which he did twice yesterday).

Another observation on playcalling (and I'm not trying to pile on Reich because for the most part he's a great play caller): I'm not a fan of our sweeps. Hines lost big yards on them and Mack had to make something out of nothing on them in most cases.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

There's a really good write up over on Stampede Blue on that subject. 

It only takes a couple of missed assignments for the opposing team to break a big play.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think we need to put a little  more on Brissett. Two to three more deep shots a game. He is accurate  enough to complete them. Can't  play safe unless you want to lose.

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I think we need to put a little  more on Brissett. Two to three more deep shots a game. He is accurate  enough to complete them. Can't  play safe unless you want to lose.

No one is saying he cant make all the throws, but you also dont want to put all the burden on him right out of the gate

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Lewis didn't play it was either stewart or Hunt and Autry.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

For the most part it's the weakness of the scheme.  There are certain reads that drop the LBers back, then combined with a quick and fast guy like Eckler and you get that result.

yesterday, the biggest problem was Moore kept tipping his hand on when he was going to blitz, so SD checked to the RB dump off and that was all she wrote.

Moore II and Wilson both very obviously telegraphed when we were sending a DB on a blitz... it's early in the season and all, but we've gotta do something about this issue as the season goes on.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Screen's just aren't our strong suit, defensively or offensively. I loathe seeing them run on us and even more when Reich calls them. Especially when he calls them on 2nd and very long's (which he did twice yesterday).

Another observation on playcalling (and I'm not trying to pile on Reich because for the most part he's a great play caller): I'm not a fan of our sweeps. Hines lost big yards on them and Mack had to make something out of nothing on them in most cases.

Yesterday was the first time in a while where I thought our O has potential to be a good screen team.  There was a screen to TY on (I think 3rd and 17th) which TY took about 14-15 yards and wound up a few yards short of the first.... that's the first time since Terrence Wilkins' days when I remember us executing a somewhat successful screen pass (I'm sure that I'm wrong, but I don't remember the last time we've had a decent looking screen game since Wilkins).

• Like 1

I don’t have the link but I think it was ESPN and Brissett said he wanted to let it fly but reich was calling for shorter options . For example he saw Ebron open down the field and wanted to throw it but opted for the shorter option. So I don’t think we have to worry about JB being scared or limited. We’ll see.

5 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

It's a poor scheme. We play zone, and concede completions to RB's. Defense hangs back, offensive line blocks them easily, which leads to YAC.