Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

Hoose

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Tom Brady,   Tony Romo,  Kurt Warner,   Russell Wilson until his senior year.   

Romo won the Walter Peyton award and was the OVC Player of the Year 3 years in a row.

And Russell Wilson? Mediocre except for his senior year? Perhaps you are thinking of someone else.

Russell Wilson put up 3,998 total yards (11th nationally) and 37 TD’s his junior year. He had 3,287 total yards and 35 TD’s his sophomore year. He ended his college career with 6,516 more total yards and 75 (yes, seventy-five) more TD’s than Brissett.

Statistically, Brissett will be a once or twice in a generation anomaly if he has any success whatsoever as an NFL starting QB. I really don’t like his odds.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Romo won the Walter Peyton award and was the OVC Player of the Year 3 years in a row.

And Russell Wilson? Mediocre except for his senior year? Perhaps you are thinking of someone else.

Russell Wilson put up 3,998 total yards (11th nationally) and 37 TD’s his junior year. He had 3,287 total yards and 35 TD’s his sophomore year. He ended his college career with 6,516 more total yards and 75 (yes, seventy-five) more TD’s than Brissett.

Statistically, Brissett will be a once or twice in a generation anomaly if he has any success whatsoever as an NFL starting QB. I really don’t like his odds.

I guarantee Jb wil have a better statistical year than Kyler Murrey.  He has been learning in an offense and growing for two years .  These gimmick offense qbs haven't had much success in the NFL.   The hoodie took him in the third round for a reason.   I'll take his analysis of his college career over yours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Also how many of these nfl QB who turn out mediocre would of been really good in a organization that has a good structure and brings in talent.

A legitimate point. This might get me put into a mental institute but I've always wondered how much of Brady's success is actually attributable to Tom Brady himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Have you ever been to Broad Ripple?  I've seen it happen a few times.    Go behind a Bush and fall in.   I bet it happens multiple times every weekend

He was swimming.  Read any article. He tried to lie to the police saying he was wet because it was raining.  I brought him up because he was also 22 or 23 with an ego the size of Texas and money to boot.  He screwed up. In some regards what he did was worse. He WAS an Indianapolis Colt and he understood that came with certain expectations.  The point I was trying to make was when you are 22-23 , you dont really understand your actions have consequences yet. It takes a big mistake to right the ship. Mcafee did and became a lethal weapon and pro bowler for the Colts. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If you look back at most elite QB they don’t come from big schools who are in contention for national championships.  For instance everyone talks about wanting Lawrence but a lot of pundits say to stay away from them because those schools have so much talent and it’s hard to evaluate a QB.

Well hell, how many teams have routinely been in national championship contention the past decade? 4? 5? Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. There is literally no parity at all in college football. It's gross. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You know what I meant.

Oh absolutely. I wasn't contradicting you. Just making an independent point. There have been a lot of national championship QB's who weren't worth a crap. Pick any Bama QB ever. Although I do think Tua is going to be a legit NFL guy. 

Bored on a Friday night. Here are your QB's (who are currently NFL eligible) of some past national title games

2017: Deshaun Watson

2016: Jake Coker, Watson

2015: Cardale Jones, Marcus Mariotta

2014: Jameis Winston, Nick Marshall

2013: AJ McCarron, Everett Golson

2012: AJ McCarron, Jordan Jefferson

2011: Cam Newton, Darron Thomas

2010: Colt McCoy, Greg McElroy

2009: Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford

2008: Matt Flynn, Todd Boeckman

2007: Tim Tebow, Troy Smith

2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart

2005: Jason White, Matt Leinart

2004: Jason White, Jamarcus Russell

2003: Craig Krenzel, Ken Dorsey

2002: Eric Crouch, Ken Dorsey

2001: Chris Weinke, Josh Heupel

I'm only seeing six guys who spent extended time as an NFL starting QB and only two who I'd consider to be above average NFL starters (Newton and Watson). 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:07 PM, Lennon1940 said:

Yeah, and Brissett had to transfer because Jeff Driskell beat him out at Florida. Brissett couldn’t even get the starting job in a conference that Kelly dominated. 

Ok, I'll tell the whole story.  Brissett was a true Freshman at U of F and backup to Brantley and ahead of Driskel in 2011.  He was recruited there by Charlie Weis, who ran a pro set O.  However, Weis left for Kansas HC job for 2012, and JB started the first game for the Gators in 2012. Driskel was named the starter thereafter, Muschamp citing his legs/mobility gave them an extra dimension their developing O needed.  JB did move on, and Driskel got hurt in 2013, came back and stunk. Had to go to to Louisiana Tech for 2015-

Driskel's stats 2012 -2014 at U of F-

Year     GP        Cmp           Att           Pct          Yards           TDs           Int

2012     12         156           245           63.7          1,646            12              5

2013     3             42              61          68.9              477              2              3

2014     9          114            212           53.8           1,140              9            10

2015    13         279            448           62.3           4,026           27              8

JB

2012                  23               35            65.7           249                1              0

2014                 221            370            59.7          2,606             23             5

2015                 237            395            60.0          2,662             20             6

I can almost guarantee that if Weis didn't leave to be HC at Kansas, JB would have been the Gators QB, not Driskel.  Weis talks good things about JB to this very day. I Never hear a peep about Driskel from him.  JB's stats are much better than Driskel after he left U of F too, and he was drafted in round 3 where Driskel was taken in round 6.  Now the Bengals are trying Driskel in the WR position (similar to Taysom Hill) while JB is a starting QB.

:Nuke:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ok, I'll tell the whole story.  Brissett was a true Freshman at U of F and backup to Brantley and ahead of Driskel in 2011.  He was recruited there by Charlie Weis, who ran a pro set O.  However, Weis left for Kansas HC job for 2012, and JB started the first game for the Gators in 2012. Driskel was named the starter thereafter, Muschamp citing his legs/mobility gave them an extra dimension their developing O needed.  JB did move on, and Driskel got hurt in 2013, came back and stunk. Had to go to to Louisiana Tech for 2015-

Year     GP        Cmp           Att           Pct          Yards           TDs           Int

2012     12         156           245           63.7          1,646            12              5

2013     3             42              61          68.9              477              2              3

2014     9          114            212           53.8           1,140              9            10

2015    13         279            448           62.3           4,026           27              8

JB

2012                  23               35            65.7           249                1              0

2014                 221            370            59.7          2,606             23             5

2015                 237            395            60.0          2,662             20             6

I can almost guarantee that if Weis didn't leave to be HC at Kansas, JB would have been the Gators QB, not Driskel.  Weis talks good things about JB to this very day. I Never hear a peep about Driskel from him.  JB's stats are much better than Driskel after he left U of F too, and he was drafted in round 3 where Driskel was taken in round 6.  Now the Bengals are trying Driskel in the WR position (similar to Taysom Hill) while JB is a starting QB.

So he’d have done better as a QB in the SEC than he did in the ACC?

He was going to be a mediocre QB wherever he ended up starting.

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Come on now...

What did all those awards get Tony Romo?     Undrated.    The entire NFL took a pass on him.

The Cowboys got him as a free agent.    So, he's a great example of someone who improved as a pro over what he was in college.     He exceeded ALL expectations.

And most of the NFL was not sold on Russell Wilson.   Props to Seattle for seeing his potential, but he was drafted 75th.   I think Philly liked him too.     But the list of teams who thought Wilson would turn into something is short.    It's not unreasonable to say he has also exceeded the expectations of most...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bhougland said:

I never said it was fact, I said if they are doing it for said reason then it is a big problem.

It is conjecture, and I think that goes without saying, but I often do say that in my post.

Also, are your post backed up by insider sources?  That is ridiculous to expect that on a fan forum....did you think I write for the Indy Star, or ESPN?

I try to post link when I can.     What post did I make that you think needed supportive links?

Yes,  my post is my viewpoint.   But is there something you want to challenge?    Feel free to.

Knock yourself out.....

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now...

What did all those awards get Tony Romo?     Undrated.    The entire NFL took a pass on him.

The Cowboys got him as a free agent.    So, he's a great example of someone who improved as a pro over what he was in college.     He exceeded ALL expectations.

And most of the NFL was not sold on Russell Wilson.   Props to Seattle for seeing his potential, but he was drafted 75th.   I think Philly liked him too.     But the list of teams who thought Wilson would turn into something is short.    It's not unreasonable to say he has also exceeded the expectations of most...

But this whole conversation even taking place kind of proves my point. We’re arguing about whether 1 or 2 guys were great in college. 1 or 2 guys. That shows just how uncommon it is.

How many average starting QB’s have their been in just the past 20 years? Plenty. Yet we’re debating 1 or 2 guys. ALL of the rest were excellent in college. His odds of being a good starting QB are probably like 100 to 1 according to statistics.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

JB

I know we've discussed this before, but not sure why comparing a bad QB (Driskel) to JB gives us any answers. The fact CW liked him, and Muscamp didn't doesn't really tell us anything either. Weis's track record is questionable at best. And playing QB in the ACC is exponentially easier than playing QB in the SEC.

In terms of Weis, in hindsight, you can make the following observations since 2000

-After he left NE, Brady actually improved and had one of his best seasons ever immediately after Weis left.

-At ND, he was gifted 2 top 5 QBs (Quinn and Clausen) one of which was the number one overall recruit and actually regressed after his first year.

-He then spent one year as KC's OC with no change to the passing game (total yards), but did see the team improve a lot rushing.

-He then went to Kansas and compiled a 6-22 record with only one win in conference. He was also gifted a ND transfer and former 5 star #1 Pro QB who he wasn't able to do anything with.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the whole Weis seal of approval doesn't hold a lot of water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

But this whole conversation even taking place kind of proves my point. We’re arguing about whether 1 or 2 guys were great in college. 1 or 2 guys. That shows just how uncommon it is.

How many average starting QB’s have their been in just the past 20 years? Plenty. Yet we’re debating 1 or 2 guys. ALL of the rest were excellent in college. His odds of being a good starting QB are probably like 100 to 1 according to statistics.

I agree with you,  that's it's rare.    Highly unusual.     But it's not 1 or 2.

Poster @jvan1973   had this list....  Tom Brady,   Tony Romo,  Kurt Warner,   Russell Wilson.  That's four in the last 25 years.   With three of them in the last 20 years.

Are the odds long for Jacoby?    Sure.   But everything I read, I like.   I find encouraging.  Doesn't mean he'll be great out of the gate.   I'm not wild about the circumstances of the last two weeks.  I think it's made a hard job even harder.    I would not be surprised if we started off somewhat slowly,  and then got better.    Much as we did last year.    Would't be surprised at all.

Good series of posts by you.   Hope you enjoy the website.   The message boards here can be addictive.    And this looks to be a very interesting season.....

Eight pages in a topic about whether a 3rd string qb should be on the 53 man roster! I'll put my opinion on. He should be, there is no way he clears waivers. Hoyer is not the answer, 1-10 in his last 11 starts. Brissett gets his chance, atleast the team is 100% behind Brissett, Hilton and Leonard have no problem with Brissett at qb and that is very important. The confidence level of this team is off the charts, now, just go out there and win. I will also say this, if we still had Luck we would easily contend for the championship in February, now I still think we can win the division but the road will be a lot tougher after that.

• Like 1

On the overall question I'mma weigh in and I'm going to say no.  Kelly has special talent, so if it was any other position I'd be more open minded.  If he was a running back I'd be all for giving him a shot.  If he was a wideout what he did wouldn't even be that unusual.  But quarterback is the one position where the "million dollar talent, 10 cent head" thing just doesn't fly. 

QB is one of the most cerebral positions in major professional sports and if that headspace just isn't dependable it's going to affect the whole team.  Your quarterback has to be a leader, not just a talent, and Chad Kelly can't even control himself, much less lead a team 

In other words, Chad Kelly is a project that checks every box but the most important one.  I understand why people are excited about him but I'm just not.  I'd rather spend that roster spot on something to help our current team succeed, this year.  It's such a longshot that Chad Kelly actually helps us this year that I'm against blowing a roster spot on that.  Let it go.  There will be other quarterback prospects that don't have a black mark in the worst possible area.

• Like 2

This season should tell us a lot about the importance of a quarterback to the team, and to football in general. This will vary from team to team, of course, but there are a lot of unknowns going into the first 3 - 4 weeks of the season. I find the prognostication - the what-ifs - interesting, given we really don't have much to base those prognostications on. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. Stay tuned.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but the whole Weis seal of approval doesn't hold a lot of water.

Another poster said he lost his job at U of F to Driskel, without giving the backstory. As far as Weis (who was brilliant guiding Brady through his developmental years as Pats QB), well...

Some guys are good talent evaluators, and great Coordinators, but fail as Head Coaches.  The Football history is littered with them.

IE: Rod Marinelli, Dom Capers, Buddy Ryan, Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Marty Mornhinweg, Kevin Gilbride, ...  etc

How do you feel about Bill Parcells approving comments then? Does the Tuna qualify for endorsement? These were right after the draft.

"He’s a Curtis Martin, Willie McGinest, Troy Brown type player," Parcells said of Brissett, via the Boston Herald. "That’s the kind of guy he is. That’s what New England is getting. Those kinds, those Tedy Bruschi types, those players who’ve been successful.

“You never really know for sure until you see a player under the gun, so to speak, at the top level,” Parcells continued. “But, that being said. I have a very high regard for this young man. He’s an awesome kid. He’s very bright. He has zero personal issues. He’s a very dedicated, committed guy and I think he’s going to the absolute perfect place for him. They’ve got a great coach, a great organization, and they’ve got a great role model playing that he’ll be able to observe and learn from. It just doesn’t get any better than that. Because of what I think he has, his career is going to develop well."

At the NFL level, some good measure of talent is assumed (or you do not get scouted/drafted). And do you feel the bolded statement applies to the Colts, Reich, and Luck as much as it did Patriots, Belichick, and Brady?  I think this is put up or shut up time for Brissett, but JB gives the Colts the best chance to win at this time, and for at least the first half of the year at the minimum.

My personal guess is Kelly does make the 53, but is one of those listed as a healthy scratch (upon return) on the inactive list each week early in the season.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Poster @jvan1973   had this list....  Tom Brady,   Tony Romo,  Kurt Warner,   Russell Wilson.  That's four in the last 25 years.   With three of them in the last 20 years.

This again? C'mon bro, did you miss the post where I blew the idea completely out of the water that Wilson was an average college QB?

I'll post it again:

Russell Wilson put up 3,998 total yards (11th nationally) and 37 TD’s his junior year. He had 3,287 total yards and 35 TD’s his sophomore year. He ended his college career with 6,516 more total yards and 75 (yes, seventy-five) more TD’s than Brissett.

Russell Wilson's senior year he was NUMBER ONE nationally in QBR. Luck was 5th that same year fwiw. Brissett's senior year he was SIXTY-FOURTH. Out of 130 D-1 programs, that's pretty much exactly average. I'd argue being ranked No.1 out of 130 is anything but average. 

Wilson was an elite college QB. Stop this nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jim Harbaugh only threw for 2729 Yards with 10 TD's and 11 INT's his senior at Michigan. Look how he played for us in 1995 and 1996 though. We should've been in the SB in 1995 and in 96 we made the playoffs.

That was almost 35 years ago. You can't compare today's stats to that era. He was third in Heisman voting and those 2,729 yards set a Michigan passing record that stood until 2002. He also held the national career record for passer rating for 12 years. 

In other words, Harbaugh set national records as a college quarterback. Brissett didn't rank in the top 50 in any QB stat in college. 

I was listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin the other day on Sirius XM’s Moving The Chains, and both felt very strongly that philosophically teams should carry 3 QBs so as to better develop game ready alternatives at the game’s best position.  They were quite adamant that many teams are really making big mistakes in not so doing.

Given the Colts’ QB situation, count me in the camp that thinks they DO keep Kelly on the 53.  It makes perfect sense!  You have what you hope to be your mainstay QB, Brissett.  You have the wise well travelled vet backup, to help tutor and help break things down.  And you add to the mix a talented and inexpensive young 3rd QB to hopefully really develop, if not just into the eventual # 2, but to create a tradable draft asset.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

In other words, Chad Kelly is a project that checks every box but the most important one.  

Hear Hear!!  That's absolutely where I'm at on CK. Not to mention his 'flashes' of fun were against 2s and 3s in pre-season. 

7 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

That was almost 35 years ago. You can't compare today's stats to that era. He was third in Heisman voting and those 2,729 yards set a Michigan passing record that stood until 2002. He also held the national career record for passer rating for 12 years. 

In other words, Harbaugh set national records as a college quarterback. Brissett didn't rank in the top 50 in any QB stat in college. 

Good point about comparing era's but 10 TD's and 11 INT's is what it is. Brissett was 20 and 6 his senior year, 23 and 5 his junior year. One can't really compare yards because teams do throw more now but the TD to INT ratio you can compare. My point is Harbaugh threw more INT's than TD's his senior year and still played great for us for a couple years.

I am not sold on Brissett but I do say lets give him a chance before we get too critical of him. He was 4-11 in 2017 because we had a bad team/bad O.Line around him and poor play calling.

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I was listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin the other day on Sirius XM’s Moving The Chains, and both felt very strongly that philosophically teams should carry 3 QBs so as to better develop game ready alternatives at the game’s best position.  They were quite adamant that many teams are really making big mistakes in not so doing.

Given the Colts’ QB situation, count me in the camp that thinks they DO keep Kelly on the 53.  It makes perfect sense!  You have what you hope to be your mainstay QB, Brissett.  You have the wise well travelled vet backup, to help tutor and help break things down.  And you add to the mix a talented and inexpensive young 3rd QB to hopefully really develop, if not just into the eventual # 2, but to create a tradable draft asset.  

This is a good point.  When you have a manning or luck I can understand being all in on them and only carrying one backup.  With our current qb situation I like the idea of three.