Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

Hoose

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well Brissett  is the next Brady/ kurt warner. He is the real deal. Pocket presence strong arm and great coaching staff and all doubters will be quieted soon enough.  NCAA state produced Philip rivers and Russell Wilson. Now Brissett  is ready to shine with better weapons and a full offseason. He'd have to be worse than curtis painter to fail.

I really do love your optimism. 

He's a little different than those other two you mentioned. Their best seasons at NC State:

Rivers: 4,602 yds, 37 TD's

Wilson: 3,998 yds, 37 TD's

Brissett: 3,032 yds, 26 TD's

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

He's a little different than those other two you mentioned. Their best seasons at NC State:

He's a late bloomer  lol Also the team around  him wasn't  as good as when rivers and wilson were there.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

so now JB is the next Tom Brady Andrew Luck Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner I'm definitely sold now!! looks like we have the greatest QB in the history of football!!! wooohooo!!!

If Brissett  can be a 28 td  10 int guy we will win alot of games. I believe  he is way better  than the 13 td 7ints from 2017 though big ben won a superbowl  in a season he threw for less than 20 tds in reg season 

On 9/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, bhougland said:

I think this is same argument that many here made about the Stephan Morris vs. Scott Tolzien.  I don't think any of us were saying Stephan Morris looked amazing, but that he looked better than Scott Tolzien.  Morris supporters were ridiculed and basically told to shut up and trust Pagano, but lo and behold.....

The difference now is that while Jacoby is a good backup, I saw things from Chad that I don't think Jacoby could do.  On the flip side, Jacoby is known for his long ball and strong arm, but so is Chad.  Also, Chad has that gunslinger, Bret Farve type determination that will win you football games when you are close or down in the fourth quarter.  I don't know if he is better than Jacoby or not, but I think the organization is in a situation where we have to find out and not "crown" anyone prematurely.

Not including Chad in on the 53 man roster is in my opinion a dereliction of duty on the coaching staff.  If that happens I think they are trying to create the illusion that Jacoby is a franchise QB, when really no one knows yet.

BH......

Sorry,  I don't think we have inneracted before....   I never like a first inneraction to be negative....   but there are a number of issues with this post....   (Long post coming...)

I"ll take them from the top....    first....   why do you think comparing Tolzein with Stephen Morris is a winner for you?     After the Colts cut him, Morris appeared on the practice squad for 3 other teams.    He never entered an NFL game.    Now, in 19,  he's out of the NFL.     So, those who said Tolzein was better than Morris,  were right.    They're not wrong.    Coaches typically favor experience over inexperiene at the QB position.   Was Tolzein bad?    Yes.   That doesn't mean Morris was better.

Second...   You're not the only fan to make this comparison,  but you favor Kelly over JB.   As I've stated in too many thread these last few weeks,   you're comparing JB against first string defenses in regular NFL games,  vs Kelly playing mostly 2nd and 3rd string defenses in pre-season games.    Those are entirely different worlds.    No NFL scout would back you in this view.    Certainly not now.

Third....   Chad on the 53....     Lots of problems here....   the coaching staff doesn't put Chad on the 53.     Ballard does.    Yes,  he takes input from Frank and his staff,  but the first and last decision is Ballard's.     Second,  a fan, ANY FAN,  should not be tossing about the line "dereliction of duty" about any decision made.    It's ridiculous in the extreme.    What makes you think you know enough to make a better decision?     What makes you think you know more than the coaching staff?     More than the GM and his front office?   Especially this GM and this head coach?     I'd always advise all fans.....    when you're thinking about writing something that implies you know more than they do,   you're not just asking for trouble,   you're BEGGING for trouble.    It's a habit no fan should get into.

And a reminder,   this is not a front office or staff that has shown that they care one bit about fan reaction to anything.    Nor should they ever.   So, I seriously doubt they're trying to create any illusion of JB as a franchise QB.   They gave JB a contract that protects both sides....    the team and JB.    They can give him a raise if he deserves it,  or they can move on if he's a flop.   Fair to everyone.    Win-win.

Just some food for thought.....    And a belated welcome to you becoming an active poster after being a member for several years...

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

BH......

Sorry,  I don't think we have inneracted before....   I never like a first inneraction to be negative....   but there are a number of issues with this post....   (Long post coming...)

I"ll take them from the top....    first....   why do you think comparing Tolzein with Stephen Morris is a winner for you?     After the Colts cut him, Morris appeared on the practice squad for 3 other teams.    He never entered an NFL game.    Now, in 19,  he's out of the NFL.     So, those who said Tolzein was better than Morris,  were right.    They're not wrong.    Coaches typically favor experience over inexperiene at the QB position.   Was Tolzein bad?    Yes.   That doesn't mean Morris was better.

Second...   You're not the only fan to make this comparison,  but you favor Kelly over JB.   As I've stated in too many thread these last few weeks,   you're comparing JB against first string defenses in regular NFL games,  vs Kelly playing mostly 2nd and 3rd string defenses in pre-season games.    Those are entirely different worlds.    No NFL scout would back you in this view.    Certainly not now.

Third....   Chad on the 53....     Lots of problems here....   the coaching staff doesn't put Chad on the 53.     Ballard does.    Yes,  he takes input from Frank and his staff,  but the first and last decision is Ballard's.     Second,  a fan, ANY FAN,  should not be tossing about the line "dereliction of duty" about any decision made.    It's ridiculous in the extreme.    What makes you think you know enough to make a better decision?     What makes you think you know more than the coaching staff?     More than the GM and his front office?   Especially this GM and this head coach?     I'd always advise all fans.....    when you're thinking about writing something that implies you know more than they do,   you're not just asking for trouble,   you're BEGGING for trouble.    It's a habit no fan should get into.

And a reminder,   this is not a front office or staff that has shown that they care one bit about fan reaction to anything.    Nor should they ever.   So, I seriously doubt they're trying to create any illusion of JB as a franchise QB.   They gave JB a contract that protects both sides....    the team and JB.    They can give him a raise if he deserves it,  or they can move on if he's a flop.   Fair to everyone.    Win-win.

Just some food for thought.....    And a belated welcome to you becoming an active poster after being a member for several years...

While I agree with much of what you posted, I think you are wrong in your tone.  Remember, this is a forum.   Everybody doesn't have to hold their thoughts in because they are not the coach or GM.  We we played it that way, we should all quit posting altogether.  Why should we question what we thought was a bad play call.   The coach knows better than us.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First, I want to thank you for putting the time in to give pointed remarks while making the poster you were responding to (me) feel welcome.  I have the habit of never getting upset when debating people because I understand that we are really only debating ideas and not the person, but others often feel personally attacked and it can drive them away. You are doing your part in making this forum a welcoming place while also providing thoughtful discourse. 

Now my response.

First, it is true that Morris was on three practice squads after the Colts and didn't make it.  On the flip side, Tolzien was never a backup, or on a practice squad, after the 2017 year, so I am not sure this argument proves anything, especially that the coaches/GM made the right decision.  Also, I never said that Morris was going to be great, just that he looked better than Tolzien.  And honestly, Tolzien's experience didn't seem to do him any good; he threw a pick 6 on the first play of the game!!!  Lastly, it is the way the Tolzien supporters acted to the Morris supporters that is reminiscent of this situation with Kelly.  They ridiculed the Morris supporters and used the tired old "appeal to authority" argument as justification.  All the Kelly supporters are saying is that he should be given a shot, as he looked great in preseason and in college. Yes, we are aware of the off the field issues.

Next, I posted a response to the argument about Brisset going against the 1st and 2nd teams and Kelly going against the 2nd and 3rd stringers, so I won't post it again.  Long story short, I compared the 2018 preason stats between the two showed that Kelly was still every bit as good as Brissett.  And this should be expected, Chad is a more accurate passer as shown by his college stats (especially completion percentage), and that has borne out in his NFL preseason play.  Does Brissett have more live NFL action?   Yes, but it doesn't mean we should release promising competition just because we have an aging journeyman on the roster.\\

Lastly, the number one thing our coach and GM can do at this point is find QB1; that is priority number one.  Prematurely crowning Brissett as that guy and removing a worthy competitor because they don't want a QB controversy would absolutely be a dereliction of duty.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

I was factoring in his total body of work. With very few exceptions (read: Tom Brady), starting NFL QB's were super studs in college. Brissett was only average in college (64th in QBR his senior year out of 130 FBS starters). Compare his final season of college to the final season of the other starters under 30

Murray - 5,362 total yards - 54 TD's

Mahomes - 5,337 - 53

Jackson - 5,261 - 45 

Mariotta - 5,224 - 58

Watson - 5,222 - 50

Carr - 5,201 - 52

Garoppolo - 5,050 - 53

Mayfield - 4,938  - 46

Goff - 4,708 - 43

Prescott - 4,381 - 39

Newton - 4,327 - 50

Winston - 4,276 - 44 

Darnold - 4,225 - 31

Trubisky - 4,056  - 35 

Rosen - 3,756 - 28

Allen - 3,726 - 36

Brissett - 3,032 - 26 

God knows that being a stud college QB doesn't mean you'll be a starting NFL QB, but starting NFL QB's were, almost without exception, stud college QB's. Those stats firmly back up that assertion. 

You can choose to put whatever stock (or none at all) into college stats, but from where I'm sitting if you weren't taking over games in college then why should I think that you're going to have the ability to take over games in the NFL?

I'm not putting much stock into the college stats, mainly because I didn't watch him in college to be able to get an idea of why his numbers were what they were.  So I can't put the proper context on those stats. 

However I do want to say thank you for a well reasoned explanation that wasn't based on his 2017 season with the Colts.  :)

14 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Hahaha

Character doesn’t win football games. Beating the hell out of your opponents and enforcing your will on them is what wins games. Usually successful NFL QB’s are character guys AND exceptional talents. 

Show me an elite NFL QB who was merely average in college (aside from

the one obvious exception). I’ll wait.

Tony Romo?  Elite might be a little strong in describing him but if he's not truly elite, he was pretty close.  And his college numbers were pretty similar to those of Brissett.

13 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Bottom line is that if JB is going to turn out to be a good NFL QB he’s going to be the exception not the rule given his college background. It’s extraordinarily rare for a QB to be better in the NFL than they were in college. 

I hope I’m wrong. It’d be one hell of a story for our franchise if he turned out to be great. 

But I suspect that we just married ourselves to a guy who won’t ever be bad enough to be benched but won’t ever be good enough for us to win anything big. 

We didn't really marry ourselves to him.  We gave him a 1 year tryout.  After this season, if the brass doesn't think he can take us to the promised land then I have no doubt whatsoever they'll look for someone better. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J@son said:

Tony Romo?  Elite might be a little strong in describing him but if he's not truly elite, he was pretty close.  And his college numbers were pretty similar to those of Brissett.

Going to have to disagree with you on that. Their stats may look similar, but I compared Jacoby to other starters under 30 for a reason. Romo was in college almost 20 years ago. The offensive game has just changed so much since then. 

Take a look at the 2003 Heisman QB candidates:

Jason White - 3,846 yds, 40 TD's

Eli Manning - 3,600 yds, 29 TD's

Matt Leinart - 3,556 yds, 38 TD's

So Romo putting up 3,165 yards passing and 34 TD's back in 2002 was pretty dang good. He won the Walter Payton Award (the D-II Heisman) and was the OVC Player of the Year 3 straight years. So I'd say he was pretty elite given where he was playing. 

5 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Going to have to disagree with you on that. Their stats may look similar, but I compared Jacoby to other starters under 30 for a reason. Romo was in college almost 20 years ago. The offensive game has just changed so much since then. 

Take a look at the 2003 Heisman QB candidates:

Jason White - 3,846 yds, 40 TD's

Eli Manning - 3,600 yds, 29 TD's

Matt Leinart - 3,556 yds, 38 TD's

So Romo putting up 3,165 yards passing and 34 TD's back in 2002 was pretty dang good. He won the Walter Payton Award (the D-II Heisman) and was the OVC Player of the Year 3 straight years. So I'd say he was pretty elite given where he was playing. 

Fair enough...and I hadn't realized it was nearly 20 years ago when Romo was in college.  Damn getting older is a kick in the butt lol

6 hours ago, Myles said:

While I agree with much of what you posted, I think you are wrong in your tone.  Remember, this is a forum.   Everybody doesn't have to hold their thoughts in because they are not the coach or GM.  We we played it that way, we should all quit posting altogether.  Why should we question what we thought was a bad play call.   The coach knows better than us.   

I don't mind any discussion about a coaches decision...   or any decision,  even by Chris Ballard.

But I thought....  "Derelection of duty" was way, WAY over the top.    I confess my eyes popped out and my jaw dropped at that.    I was pretty much set-off from there....  

Discussion is one thing.   Disagreement is one thing.   But that line was something else altogether...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Jammer said:

I see a lot of Bears fans talking about Chad Kelly this morning. It seems it's not only Colts fans viewing him as a potential savior.

When the Colts were playing the Bears couple weeks back, I went over to their open gameday thread and the Bears fans were discussing how to get Chad Kelly to Chicago. :)

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

When the Colts were playing the Bears couple weeks back, I went over to their open gameday thread and the Bears fans were discussing how to get Chad Kelly to Chicago. :)

This reaction doesn't surprise me at all.  Trubisky looked terrible.  Cowherd said today he thinks Chicago brass were having tough conversations today after that performance.  That said Chicago might not be the only team that might develop an interest.  Kelly is an asset for the Colts and should go on the 53 to protect him.  Who knows what might happen down the road this year.  We might have accidentally stumbled into a possible trade chip.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I wonder how many of our fans would be screaming that the Pats would suck this year had TB up and retired and JB were the one replacing him. hmmm

I actually think if you put JB on the Pats with BB as Coach they would still go 9-7 and win that division. 9-7 will win that division because it stinks outside of the Pats. The one thing I would say is, it would take the Pats out of the SB race. Without TB, they wouldn't win the SB but with JB they would still make the playoffs IMO.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we start 0-2, then it may be Kelly time? If we start 2-0 then Brissett has proven himself by winning at LA and at Tennessee.

Depends on how Jacoby looks. An 0-2 start isn't necessarily the QB's fault. I wouldn't expect anything to happen so fast unless Jacoby was a complete disaster on the field. I think JB gets a few games as starter regardless.

I am ready for this game to see how the Colts look.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we start 0-2, then it may be Kelly time? If we start 2-0 then Brissett has proven himself by winning at LA and at Tennessee.

Jacoby would have to look really bad for him to be benched. I doubt he plays bad enough for that to happen. I doubt he plays overly well either. I suspect he’s going to be what he’s pretty much always been: an average game manager.

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This reaction doesn't surprise me at all.  Trubisky looked terrible.  Cowherd said today he thinks Chicago brass were having tough conversations today after that performance.  

Yeah the Bears fans were not happy about their QB situation. When Kelly was playing, one Bears fan posted, "Man, the Colts 4th string QB looks better than our starter!" :D

11 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Jacoby would have to look really bad for him to be benched. I doubt he plays bad enough for that to happen. I doubt he plays overly well either. I suspect he’s going to be what he’s pretty much always been: an average game manager.

This is what scares me the most.  Even if Brisset played really bad I doubt they would do anything before the bye.  

They will give him every opportunity, especially after all the rehtoric and new contract.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

that's my fear is just being stuck with average QB play that isnt really good or bad.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Thats crazy.  Rivers did that in a different era

8 hours ago, bhougland said:

First, I want to thank you for putting the time in to give pointed remarks while making the poster you were responding to (me) feel welcome.  I have the habit of never getting upset when debating people because I understand that we are really only debating ideas and not the person, but others often feel personally attacked and it can drive them away. You are doing your part in making this forum a welcoming place while also providing thoughtful discourse. 

Now my response.

First, it is true that Morris was on three practice squads after the Colts and didn't make it.  On the flip side, Tolzien was never a backup, or on a practice squad, after the 2017 year, so I am not sure this argument proves anything, especially that the coaches/GM made the right decision.  Also, I never said that Morris was going to be great, just that he looked better than Tolzien.  And honestly, Tolzien's experience didn't seem to do him any good; he threw a pick 6 on the first play of the game!!!  Lastly, it is the way the Tolzien supporters acted to the Morris supporters that is reminiscent of this situation with Kelly.  They ridiculed the Morris supporters and used the tired old "appeal to authority" argument as justification.  All the Kelly supporters are saying is that he should be given a shot, as he looked great in preseason and in college. Yes, we are aware of the off the field issues.

Next, I posted a response to the argument about Brisset going against the 1st and 2nd teams and Kelly going against the 2nd and 3rd stringers, so I won't post it again.  Long story short, I compared the 2018 preason stats between the two showed that Kelly was still every bit as good as Brissett.  And this should be expected, Chad is a more accurate passer as shown by his college stats (especially completion percentage), and that has borne out in his NFL preseason play.  Does Brissett have more live NFL action?   Yes, but it doesn't mean we should release promising competition just because we have an aging journeyman on the roster.\\

Lastly, the number one thing our coach and GM can do at this point is find QB1; that is priority number one.  Prematurely crowning Brissett as that guy and removing a worthy competitor because they don't want a QB controversy would absolutely be a dereliction of duty.

You're the person who claims the front office/coaches are "prematurely crowning" Brissett over Kelly.    You don't hear this from anyone else other than fans.    Your characterization includes "removing a worthy competitor because they don't want a QB controversy" is fan talk to back up their unfounded claim.    You're basing this on your view as a fan,  which is as limited as it can be.     You have nothing to back it up.    No inside the team anonymous quotes.   Nothing from either local or national media.    Nothing from media who covers the team on a daily basis.     Just the fans who watch the game and see what they see and have decided Kelly is much closer to Brissett than the franchise would have you believe.    Sorry,  this is all fan talk.     Give me something with some meat on the bones,  and then maybe it's an interesting discussion point.

This front office has demonstrated a belief in JB.   They backed up that belief with $$$.   I think this front office and coaching staff have easily earned the benefit of every doubt.    Yet, here you are accusing them of prematurely crowning JB.    Maybe they know things that fans don't?

By the way,  to be clear,  I am a fan of Chad Kelly.   A big fan.   When we signed him,  I was among his strongest defenders.   I banged the table hard and loud for him.   I love signings where there's far more upside than downside.     The worst that could happen is that he'd still be a jerk and we'd immediately cut him.    The best is,  we'd stumble into a quality back-up for 2020.     I never thought he'd be a back-up for 2019.     He'd have to earn that by using a red-shirt year on the practice squad and show he could be a quality team guy.    That's a valued quality by this coachig staff and front office.    But I really like Chad.    I hope he does well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're the person who claims the front office/coaches are "prematurely crowning" Brissett over Kelly.    You don't hear this from anyone else other than fans.    Your characterization includes "removing a worthy competitor because they don't want a QB controversy" is fan talk to back up their unfounded claim.    You're basing this on your view as a fan,  which is as limited as it can be.     You have nothing to back it up.    No inside the team anonymous quotes.   Nothing from either local or national media.    Nothing from media who covers the team on a daily basis.     Just the fans who watch the game and see what they see and have decided Kelly is much closer to Brissett than the franchise would have you believe.    Sorry,  this is all fan talk.     Give me something with some meat on the bones,  and then maybe it's an interesting discussion point.

This front office has demonstrated a belief in JB.   They backed up that belief with $$$.   I think this front office and coaching staff have easily earned the benefit of every doubt.    Yet, here you are accusing them of prematurely crowning JB.    Maybe they know things that fans don't?

By the way,  to be clear,  I am a fan of Chad Kelly.   A big fan.   When we signed him,  I was among his strongest defenders.   I banged the table hard and loud for him.   I love signings where there's far more upside than downside.     The worst that could happen is that he'd still be a jerk and we'd immediately cut him.    The best is,  we'd stumble into a quality back-up for 2020.     I never thought he'd be a back-up for 2019.     He'd have to earn that by using a red-shirt year on the practice squad and show he could be a quality team guy.    That's a valued quality by this coachig staff and front office.    But I really like Chad.    I hope he does well.

I never said it was fact, I said if they are doing it for said reason then it is a big problem.

It is conjecture, and I think that goes without saying, but I often do say that in my post.

Also, are your post backed up by insider sources?  That is ridiculous to expect that on a fan forum....did you think I write for the Indy Star, or ESPN?

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Trent Richardson  was a freakshow in college  and sucked in the nfl. You don't  need to be an elite college  qb to become a great nfl one.

What does being an elite college running back being a NFL bust have to do with being a mediocre college quarterback being a NFL superstar? That logic doesn't even make sense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fahlman said:

What does being an elite college running back being a NFL bust have to do with being a mediocre college quarterback being a NFL superstar? That logic doesn't even make sense.

Elite college running backs and quarterbacks  sometimes  become busts in the nfl. Non elite qbs and rbs sometimes become  great in the nfl

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Elite college running backs and quarterbacks  sometimes  become busts in the nfl. Non elite qbs and rbs sometimes become  great in the nfl

Name more than one modern, mediocre college quarterback that was/is a great NFL quarterback.