Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

Hoose

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sold on Brissett but I do say lets give him a chance before we get too critical of him. He was 4-11 in 2017 because we had a bad team/bad O.Line around him and poor play calling.

And he didn't have training camp with the team, nor knew the playbook in 2017.  The Tolzien failure tossed Jacoby into the fire and he had to learn on the run.  He's more experienced and two years into a Reichs (better) system.  Where he was set up to fail before, he is now set up to succeed. It's up to him to motivate and lead the team, and perform at a high level.  He may prove me wrong, but I believe he can get the Colts to at least 9-7 if we don't suffer major injuries.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

And he didn't have training camp with the team, nor knew the playbook in 2017.  The Tolzien failure tossed Jacoby into the fire and he had to learn on the run.  He's more experienced and two years into a Reichs (better) system.  Where he was set up to fail before, he is now set up to succeed. It's up to him to motivate and lead the team, and perform at a high level.  He may prove me wrong, but I believe he can get the Colts to at least 9-7 if we don't suffer major injuries.

Yeah I have 8-8 but 9-7 is very possible if he plays above average. Our team and coaching is just better than it was in 2017.

A few teams want him and we won't keep him on the PS.

Better if they just do what they are doing and keep Kelly on the 53 while not having a QB on the PS. It doesn't cost anything except that our worst roster player is on the PS instead of the roster.

A smart way of doing it.

6 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brady obviously, and Matt Ryan, who was good-not-great in his college career and has gone on to have a nice career for himself in Atlanta.

Matt Ryan was the 3rd pick and the first quarterback taken in the 2008 draft. He was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year and the ACC Player of the Year in 2007, his senior season. He was awarded the 2007 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, given annually to the nation's most outstanding senior quarterback. He won the 2007 Manning Award, awarded to the nation's top quarterback. He finished in seventh place in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2007.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fahlman said:

Matt Ryan was the 3rd pick and the first quarterback taken in the 2008 draft. He was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year and the ACC Player of the Year in 2007, his senior season. He was awarded the 2007 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, given annually to the nation's most outstanding senior quarterback. He won the 2007 Manning Award, awarded to the nation's top quarterback. He finished in seventh place in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2007.

Some people have a weird sense of what constitutes a very good QB in college and an average one. 

Saying that Ryan and Brissett were even remotely similar in college is laughable. Ryan’s senior year he literally had 1900 more passing yards than Brissett did. Ryan was 3rd nationally that year in passing yards.

So it really boils down to Brady and Warner being the outliers over the past 20 years. And I do think we’re underselling Brady a little bit too. He wasn’t elite but he was absolutely better than average. He was 17th nationally in QBR his senior year (Brissett was 64th).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

This again? C'mon bro, did you miss the post where I blew the idea completely out of the water that Wilson was an average college QB?

I'll post it again:

Russell Wilson put up 3,998 total yards (11th nationally) and 37 TD’s his junior year. He had 3,287 total yards and 35 TD’s his sophomore year. He ended his college career with 6,516 more total yards and 75 (yes, seventy-five) more TD’s than Brissett.

Russell Wilson's senior year he was NUMBER ONE nationally in QBR. Luck was 5th that same year fwiw. Brissett's senior year he was SIXTY-FOURTH. Out of 130 D-1 programs, that's pretty much exactly average. I'd argue being ranked No.1 out of 130 is anything but average. 

Wilson was an elite college QB. Stop this nonsense. 

No.    You didn't blow it out of the water.    You pointed to one guy out of four.   That's not exactly blowing anything out of the water.

No.   He was NOT an average quarterback.    But he IS a better QB in the NFL than he was in college.     Let's not turn him into something he wasn't.    He was taken 75th.    Few teams saw this career that he's had.     So he IS a better pro quarterback than he was a college QB.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.    You didn't blow it out of the water.    You pointed to one guy out of four.   That's not exactly blowing anything out of the water.

No.   He was NOT an average quarterback.    But he IS a better QB in the NFL than he was in college.     Let's not turn him into something he wasn't.    He was taken 75th.    Few teams saw this career that he's had.     So he IS a better pro quarterback than he was a college QB.

No. I'm pretty sure I blew the erroneous assertion lumping Wilson's career in with Brady and Warner out of the water. Again, Wilson set the ALL-TIME record for QBR in a single season. 

And stating that Wilson was a better pro than college QB is entirely irrelevant as regards Brissett because Wilson's starting point was as an outstanding college QB, whilst Brissett's starting point in the NFL was as a dude who only averaged 203 yards per game in college. 

Let's just all hope we've won the lottery and he bucks the overwhelming odds and is a Brady or Warner, otherwise we aren't winning jack squat in the postseason with him as QB. 

5 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

No. I'm pretty sure I blew the erroneous assertion lumping Wilson's career in with Brady and Warner out of the water. Again, Wilson set the ALL-TIME record for QBR in a single season. 

And stating that Wilson was a better pro than college QB is entirely irrelevant as regards Brissett because Wilson's starting point was as an outstanding college QB, whilst Brissett's starting point in the NFL was as a dude who only averaged 203 yards per game in college. 

Let's just all hope we've won the lottery and he bucks the overwhelming odds and is a Brady or Warner, otherwise we aren't winning jack squat in the postseason with him as QB. 

Astounding college quarterback?

So astounding that he had to leave North Carolina State to go play at Wisconson.

You're trying way, WAY too hard.     Square Pegs don't go into round holes no matter how hard you try.

You were given four quarterbacks in a 25 year span.   You were able to make a good, but not great argument for one.      That's not exactly blowing anything out of the water.    And it's not 1 or 2 per generation.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:45 PM, Lennon1940 said:

So he’d have done better as a QB in the SEC than he did in the ACC?

He was going to be a mediocre QB wherever he ended up starting.

15 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Some people have a weird sense of what constitutes a very good QB in college and an average one.

So you're saying Daniel Jones will also be mediocre in 3 years too (if not explain the difference?) 

Daniel Jones-

Year     G     Cmp     Att     Pct       Yds     Y/A     TD     Int     Rate
2016     12    270    430    62.8      2836    6.6     16        9    126.3
2017     13    257    453    56.7      2691    5.9     14       11    112.0
2018     11    237    392    60.5      2674    6.8     22        9     131.7

Career          764    1275    59.9    8201    6.4     52      29    122.9

Taken #6 overall, stats from an ACC QB with 18 Wins  and 18 Losses

JB's ACC stats in comparison-

2014     13    221      370     59.7     2,606    7.0    23      5     136.7

2015     13    237      395     60.0     2,662    6.7    20      6     130,3

Taken #91 overall, stats from an ACC QB with 15 Wins  and 11 Losses

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So astounding that he had to leave North Carolina State to go play at Wisconson.

LOL. You think he left NC State because he wasn’t good enough? He left because they were being punks about him wanting to sign a professional baseball contract and it * him off. Wisconsin gladly gave him the opportunity to do both. 

Brissett’s the one who transferred because he couldn’t get the starting gig, but Wilson.

2 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

There’s a good chance he will be. The odds are against him being successful. Just like JB’s odds.

Lot's of guys with incredible talent and gaudy college stats and awards have failed in the NFL as starting QB's. Here's a few (leaving out some famous flameouts) -

JP Losman
David Greene
Pat White
Brady Quinn
David Klingler
Jim Druckenmiller
Dan McGwire
Rick Mirer
Pat Sullivan
Kelly Stouffer
Tim Couch
Andre Ware
Heath Shuler
Danny Wuerffel
Ty Detmer

It seems the odds may be just as good The Colts 3rd string QB eventually makes it on this list as much as Daniel Jones and Jacoby Brissett become mediocre and unsuccessful, as you put it.

Time will tell.

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Lot's of guys with incredible talent and gaudy college stats and awards have failed in the NFL as starting QB's. Here's a few (leaving out some famous flameouts) -

JP Losman
David Greene
Pat White
Brady Quinn
David Klingler
Jim Druckenmiller
Dan McGwire
Rick Mirer
Pat Sullivan
Kelly Stouffer
Tim Couch
Andre Ware
Heath Shuler
Danny Wuerffel
Ty Detmer

It seems the odds may be just as good The Colts 3rd string QB eventually makes it on this list as much as Daniel Jones and Jacoby Brissett become mediocre and unsuccessful, as you put it.

Time will tell.

Good grief if I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times in this thread: most  great college QB’s are never starting QB’s in the NFL, but virtually all starting QB’s in the NFL were great college QB’s.

So all of those guys you’ve listed have absolutely nothing to do with the topic we’re discussing.

13 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Good grief if I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times in this thread: most  great college QB’s are never starting QB’s in the NFL, but virtually all starting QB’s in the NFL were great college QB’s.

"virtually all starting QB’s in the NFL were great college QB’s."  That's your rationale for JB to flounder, yes?

Those guys I listed (and there are more) were EXPECTED to be great in the NFL.  And were not.  So what I am saying is that as of now, CK has as much chance to be the next Danny Wuerffel as you feel JB does of being unsuccessful.  Stalemate.  Except JB will have first crack at proving the other wrong\ down the road.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/danny-wuerffel-1.html

(Until I see it play out, I personnaly feel either could succeed or flounder. I can't/won't use college stats, or conference as a gauge. NFL QB goes beyond those.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

So all of those guys you’ve listed have absolutely nothing to do with the topic we’re discussing.

NFL  Starting QB                                         Great College QB?

Ryan Fitzpatrick                                                 No

Josh Allen                                                             No

Sam Darnold                                                       No

Jimmy Garoppolo                                              No

Andy Dalton                                                       No

Case Keenum                                                     No

Kyler Murray                                                     Yes

Lamar Jackson                                                  Yes

Jameis Winston                                                 Yes

Marcus Mariota                                                Yes

Joe Flacco                                                            No

Nick Foles                                                           No

Mitch Trubisky                                                 No

Derek Carr                                                         Maybe

Eli Manning                                                       Yes

Matthew Stafford                                             Yes

Cam Newton                                                      Yes

Carson Wentz                                                    Yes, but in FCS

Baker Mayfield                                                  Yes

Deshaun Watson                                               Yes

Kirk Cousins                                                       No

Dak Prescott                                                       No

Jacoby Brissett                                                   No

Ben Roethlisberger                                           Yes, in the MAC

Russell Wilson                                                   No

Jared Goff                                                           Yes

Patrick Mahomes                                              Maybe

Philip Rivers                                                      Yes

Aaron Rodgers                                                  Maybe

Matt Ryan                                                           Yes

Tom Brady                                                          No

Drew Brees                                                         Yes

I believe you need to re-evaluate your definition of virtually all.  It's closer to 50/50.

31 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

this argument is stronger than the opposing argument imo

its based on facts and numbers while the opposing is based on expectations.  QBs that were expected to be good but failed is weak

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

If you are basing it on stats alone it is very faulty 

those stats have held up pretty well.  lennon is right, very few if any QBs have done much lately unless they were stars in college.  did you guys not watch rus in college, he was very good. 

basing an argument off of expectations is weaker than that

33 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

those stats have held up pretty well.  lennon is right, very few if any QBs have done much lately unless they were stars in college.  did you guys not watch rus in college, he was very good. 

Nothing there proves CK will be good, though. Or bad. Either way.

basing an argument off of expectations is weaker than that

I don't, but just picking off some numbers doesn't mean anything, especially in respect to CK.  That's my point. Wuerffel had fantastic SEC stats, better then CK.  So his point can only be JB will be bad because he didn't have as good of stats as others that failed? Not that CK will be better. Nothing to support that.

I base my expectations on real football scouts, coaches, and GM's player evaluations, and coaches monitoring their progress in practice, film sessions, and team meetings.

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

NFL  Starting QB                                         Great College QB?

Ryan Fitzpatrick                                                 No

Josh Allen                                                             No

Sam Darnold                                                       No

Jimmy Garoppolo                                              No

Andy Dalton                                                       No

Case Keenum                                                     No

Kyler Murray                                                     Yes

Lamar Jackson                                                  Yes

Jameis Winston                                                 Yes

Marcus Mariota                                                Yes

Joe Flacco                                                            No

Nick Foles                                                           No

Mitch Trubisky                                                 No

Derek Carr                                                         Maybe

Eli Manning                                                       Yes

Matthew Stafford                                             Yes

Cam Newton                                                      Yes

Carson Wentz                                                    Yes, but in FCS

Baker Mayfield                                                  Yes

Deshaun Watson                                               Yes

Kirk Cousins                                                       No

Dak Prescott                                                       No

Jacoby Brissett                                                   No

Ben Roethlisberger                                           Yes, in the MAC

Russell Wilson                                                   No

Jared Goff                                                           Yes

Patrick Mahomes                                              Maybe

Philip Rivers                                                      Yes

Aaron Rodgers                                                  Maybe

Matt Ryan                                                           Yes

Tom Brady                                                          No

Drew Brees                                                         Yes

I believe you need to re-evaluate your definition of virtually all.  It's closer to 50/50.

Holy crap. Dude.  Some of your "No's" are ridiculous.

Russell Wilson - 13,141 total yards, 133 TD's, 191.8 QBR, (set the ALL-TIME national record for QBR, only passed by Mayfield recently)

Keenum - 20,114 total yards, 178 TD's, 160.6 QBR (the current ALL-TIME national leader for passing yards and touchdowns)

Dak Prescott - 11,897 total yards, 114 TD's, 151.0 QBR (third in SEC history for total yards)

Garoppolo - 13,156 yards, 118 TD's, 168.3 QBR (National FCS Quarterback of the Year)

Carr - 13,033 yards, 118 TD's, 156.3 QBR

Darnold - 7,561 yards, 64 TD's in just two seasons, 153.7 QBR

Trubisky - 4,056 yards, 35 TD's his only season as a starter, 157.6 QBR

Dalton - 11,925 yards, 93 TD's, 166.5 QBR

Now let's look at what a non-great, but average, QB looks like in college

Brissett - 6,625 total yards, 58 TD's, 131.3 QBR

Best season: 3,135 total yards, 26 TD's, 136.7 QBR

25 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Holy crap. Dude.  Some of your "No's" are ridiculous.

Russell Wilson - 13,141 total yards, 133 TD's, 191.8 QBR, (set the ALL-TIME national record for QBR, only passed by Mayfield recently)

Keenum - 20,114 total yards, 178 TD's, 160.6 QBR (the current ALL-TIME national leader for passing yards and touchdowns)

Dak Prescott - 11,897 total yards, 114 TD's, 151.0 QBR (third in SEC history for total yards)

Garoppolo - 13,156 yards, 118 TD's, 168.3 QBR (National FCS Quarterback of the Year)

Carr - 13,033 yards, 118 TD's, 156.3 QBR

Darnold - 7,561 yards, 64 TD's in just two seasons, 153.7 QBR

Trubisky - 4,056 yards, 35 TD's his only season as a starter, 157.6 QBR

Dalton - 11,925 yards, 93 TD's, 166.5 QBR

Now let's look at what a non-great, but average, QB looks like in college

Brissett - 6,625 total yards, 58 TD's, 131.3 QBR

Best season: 3,135 total yards, 26 TD's, 136.7 QBR

The only thing that is ridiculous is some of your takes.

Wilson was good for one season, after he transferred to a better program, that does not make him a great college Qb. 

Keenum was not great in college, I don't care how many yards he put up in that gimmick offense at Houston.

You obviously did not watch Dak in college, he was not great.

Garoppolo was good in FCS, that's all.

Carr was at Fresno State, not a good conference, that's why I said maybe.

Darnold again was not great during his two seasons, spout all the yards you want, but he was not great.

Trubisky, one season does not make a great college QB.

Dalton, see Keenum.

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

The only thing that is ridiculous is some of your takes.

Wilson was good for one season, after he transferred to a better program, that does not make him a great college Qb. 

Keenum was not great in college, I don't care how many yards he put up in that gimmick offense at Houston.

You obviously did not watch Dak in college, he was not great.

Garoppolo was good in FCS, that's all.

Carr was at Fresno State, not a good conference, that's why I said maybe.

Darnold again was not great during his two seasons, spout all the yards you want, but he was not great.

Trubisky, one season does not make a great college QB.

Dalton, see Keenum.

Regardless of whether you think their stats qualify them as great college QB’s, they were all better than JB.

and none of this means JB won’t be good. It just means he’ll be an outlier if he is.

15 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Regardless of whether you think their stats qualify them as great college QB’s, they were all better than JB.

and none of this means JB won’t be good. It just means he’ll be an outlier if he is.

He looks pretty good today.   Now if the defense and special teams would step up,  that would be cool

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the statement you made regarding starting NFL QBs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting tidbit:

So the Colts value him enough to give him the full salary he would have made if he was on the 53 man roster even though he's on the practice squad. That's a way to keep him away from other teams too.. 

Thanks for posting. Sounds like there's more love there than some thought. Regardless of all the love/hate on this kid, I'm glad he stuck. More so because I think the environment is the best thing for him to mature and get his life together. JB is a pretty darn good role model for him from a behavioral aspect, and you know FR is paying special attention.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting tidbit:

So the Colts value him enough to give him the full salary he would have made if he was on the 53 man roster even though he's on the practice squad. That's a way to keep him away from other teams too.. 

Not sure where @texansCap got those numbers, but I am highly skeptical of Kelly getting paid the full salary while on the PS.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yep, which doesn't indicate the date of the contract. On the History Tab it shows the exact same contract on two lines - one when he initially signed and then again for the PS. I don't know if that is an error or if it is correct. I think it's more likely an error.

A look at https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/chad-kelly-21995/ shows a different story. Only the first contract is listed. Nothing yet for the PS contract.

If he got a full season's 53 pay for being on PS, it would have been a story. A pretty big story. I never saw a story, so I am skeptical. I lean much more towards overthecap having it listed incorrectly.

18 minutes ago, Rebel said:

But the Bears will pay him a lot more than that to be starter. :stir:

They can't. He's can't get more than the UDFA money until his third season. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks for posting. Sounds like there's more love there than some thought. Regardless of all the love/hate on this kid, I'm glad he stuck. More so because I think the environment is the best thing for him to mature and get his life together. JB is a pretty darn good role model for him from a behavioral aspect, and you know FR is paying special attention.

It was always obvious the Colts liked him. The question has been whether another team was interested enough to make a big play for him, and the fact that he cleared waivers should be a satisfactory answer to that question.

Now that he's back on the PS and making the maximum money he can make, on a team that likes him and that he feels comfortable with, it's unlikely that another team will be able to poach him from the PS.