Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

GERALD MCCOYDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

FOX Indianapolis' Mike Chappell reports the Colts have a "level on interest" in free agent DT Gerald McCoy.

Makes sense to look... he fits for the most part.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

It sounds like we have some interest as long as the price and contract demands don't get too crazy.

Our pro personnel department already has (most) every player (those to soon be FA, or a cap casualty, etc...) scouted, and placed a 'value' on them.  We'll talk to the agent and see if we are in the ballpark before any real talks begin.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Level of interest and Kicking tires doesn't sound that strong to me.

We won't be in a bidding war, is what that means. Ballard has proven to fold up the tent once the $ get above range.  Doesn't matter who the player is.  But there first have to be steps taken, and that is if what we might pay is close to what they may accept.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

An interior pass rusher that can provide pressure up the middle.   With a little more size than most of our other options sans Stewart.  That’s all I’ve been asking for...I’d love this signing if it happens. Would address our most glaring remaining concern. 

Ballard has also expressed the importance of getting a pass rush up the middle.  His release couldn't have come at a better time and his contract shouldn't be prohibitive for Ballard.  If he really is serious about playing for a contender he and his agent should recognize the obvious match with the Colts as his best chance at a ring.  A no brainer from my point of view.  Of course I tend to have a bias on this sort of thing.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

IMHO, Sheard isn't a good pass rusher. I'd rather have one of the young bucks pass rushing (Lewis, Turray, Banago, etc.)

It's all good. May the best man win. Whoever it is will have to be awfully good.

• Like 1

I would love to get McCoy.

I just think that our fans need to prepare as if it is not gonna happen.

Not because we do not want him or he is not a fit or anything like that.

Mainly because he is going to have a lot of suitors.

At the end of the day, the Colts will have to win a bidding war for him if they want him. There will likely be even more.

Typically we do not go that bidding war route. We will make an offer and if it's good enough and he takes it then cool.

But my guess is he will shop offers around.

He did not want to take a pay cut from his $13M figured before he got cut. So I feel like $10-$13M is probably the sweet spot.

I'd offer it for one year, but someone might be willing to go multiple years or more for one year.

So we have to hope that our offer is better than others or at least as good.

We have the cap room to do it. Question is will we?

I am happy w how we stand without him. I'd be even happier with him. I am just not confident that we get it done. I hope I am wrong.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:12 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

The money could be the only problematic thing 

Figured I'd see one of these comments pretty quick, this forum is so predictable..We have the most CAP in NFL why not use on an All-Pro at a position of need when we are on verge of competing for a Super Bowl? What are we saving for? How about making a bold move and trying to win it all?Also, unlike Suh, McCoy is Perfect scheme fit...If we don't sign him it's because Irsay doesn't want to spend period..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Figured I'd see one of these comments pretty quick, this forum is so predictable..We have the most CAP in NFL why not use on an All-Pro at a position of need when we are on verge of competing for a Super Bowl? What are we saving for? How about making a bold move and trying to win it all?Also, unlike Suh, McCoy is Perfect scheme fit...If we don't sign him it's because Irsay doesn't want to spend period..

He hasn't been all pro since 2013

26 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

The man is 31 years old.  Shouldn't get anymore than 2-3 year deal and the cash shouldn't be any more than what we gave to Houston maybe less.  If somebody else wants to break the bank larger than that then let them have at it.  He'll make us a better team up the middle, but it doesn't guarantee a superbowl.  No 1 player does that because it's a team effort. You're not seriously telling me if he wanted 17 million per we should just pay it because we got it right?

30 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

ID on't think Irsay would have a problem, it would CB who doesn't want to spend over a set amount on McCoy.  It will likely exceed CB's personal cap he sets.

48 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I agree with everything you said except the comment about Irsay.  I think he would be all for it.  I think he's letting Ballard run the team and will defer to his judgement.  Deep down I think Irsay would love McCoy on his team. 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

The bolded is just false.  As for the rest, do you just ignore everything Ballard says about signing free agents?  Ballard has been pretty up front about his approach to free agency.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

The bolded is just false.  As for the rest, do you just ignore everything Ballard says about signing free agents?  Ballard has been pretty up front about his approach to free agency.

in fact Ballard has actually been the most transparent GM I've heard in a long time....some just don't want to hear it and only hear what they want to hear. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MTC said:

I'm 100% all in on signing Gerald McCoy. 

Also, despite all the hype surrounding the Browns, I still think they are a year or two away from being actual contenders. 

I'm very intrigued how all these big personalities will mesh for the browns. Maybe they pull together this year and implode next year? Its a very repeated way to build a team and often doesnt work out. Sign and trade for a bunch of super stars who are making a ton of money and have very large personalities. Its usually set up for failure. And oh yea its the browns, a cursed team to top it all off with. I would love to see them topple the steelers though

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Here is how it works, the Colts Rex Hogan, Kevin rogers, Jon Shaw and pro personnel team have scouted and placed a value on every other NFL teams current players that might be cut (for any reason, cap, performance, etc...) or become free agent in case opportunities arise (like McCoy and Suh).   Ballard has been consistent staying true to the $ range (value).  In this case, I believe McCoy won't get a deal until the Suh contract is final.  Then McCoy will likely get about what Suh got.  Teams don't just shove wads of cash at a guy because there's some extra in the bank.  They spend wisely and also keep some back for a rainy day.  It's prudent. Doing otherwise sets bad precedent that players expect and other teams have to do as well. Then it spirals out of control (more than FA spending already has!).

1 hour ago, krunk said:

The man is 31 years old.  Shouldn't get anymore than 2-3 year deal and the cash shouldn't be any more than what we gave to Houston maybe less.  If somebody else wants to break the bank larger than that then let them have at it.  He'll make us a better team up the middle, but it doesn't guarantee a superbowl.  No 1 player does that because it's a team effort. You're not seriously telling me if he wanted 17 million per we should just pay it because we got it right?

Exactly. If one player make you a SB contender, then what does 1 or more season ending injuries do?  And there is a 100% serious injury rate in the NFL (some teams more than others at times though).

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

ID on't think Irsay would have a problem, it would CB who doesn't want to spend over a set amount on McCoy.  It will likely exceed CB's personal cap he sets.

Yes, Ballard and the pro personnel team.  I think they might negotiate around that area based upon the market, but likely will not go far away from it. Thus being outbid often.

What I like about Ballard's approach to all free agents, is that he never takes a "We need to get this guy no matter the cost" approach. While I would love for the Colts to sign McCoy, I have confidence that our FO knows exactly what they are willing to pay him as it relates to the big picture, i.e., being able to re-sign our own when they are up for new contracts. As I have said many times during free agency, Ballard gonna Ballard.

I can't see the bengals or falcons having a shot since he wants to play for a playoff contender. Also the saints and pats only have 8 and 10 mil respectively so we could easily outbid them. The only team that really is competition imo is the browns.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I can't see the bengals or falcons having a shot since he wants to play for a playoff contender. Also the saints and pats only have 8 and 10 mil respectively so we could easily outbid them. The only team that really is competition imo is the browns.

and they'll probably thrown the kitchen sink at him.

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I can't see the bengals or falcons having a shot since he wants to play for a playoff contender.

Sometimes it comes down to either high pay from a non contender vs. less pay from a possible contender.  $$ win often in the NFL.

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Also the saints and pats only have 8 and 10 mil respectively so we could easily outbid them. The only team that really is competition imo is the browns.

I've heard GM's (Phil Savage, Mark Dominik, Bill Polian, etc...) say if you need to make room in the cap to get (or keep) a guy you really want , it's not hard to do.

I think converting (much of) the base salary of a another high base salary paid player on the roster to signing bonus is but one way to add cap space.  I would never rule out a team based upon reported cap space alone.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Sometimes it comes down to either high pay from a non contender vs. less pay from a possible contender.  $$ win often in the NFL.

I've heard GM's (Phil Savage, Mark Dominik, Bill Polian, etc...) say if you need to make room in the cap to get (or keep) a guy you really want , it's not hard to do.

I think converting (much of) the base salary of a another high base salary paid player on the roster to signing bonus is but one way to add cap space.  I would never rule out a team based upon reported cap space alone.

That is a lot of salary the team would have the move. Mccoy is not gonna be cheap. Also the falcons have negative cap space. 

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well the browns do have 30 mil to play with still and you know ballard doesn't get into bidding wars

I’m thinking McCoy might be swayed by the leadership opportunity for a team with a QB that’s won 4 playoff games...if we are somewhat competitive on price

Just now, ztboiler said:

I’m thinking McCoy might be swayed by the leadership opportunity for a team with a QB that’s won 4 playoff games...if we are somewhat competitive on price

You would hope so, but players liked to get paid as well

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That is a lot of salary the team would have the move. Mccoy is not gonna be cheap. Also the falcons have negative cap space. 

Well they would really have to have a big hole that a player fills to make the moves to clear the space.  So it often doesn't happen.  But it could  (extend contract to Jones, etc moving $ to pro-rated amortization, etc...)

I think they have already converted some of Ryan's salary to signing bonus too...

I also think McCoy gets around what Suh end up getting.  Unless a bidding war for him (that didn't happen for Suh) transpires.

Lol, the Bengals, bless their hearts. I don't understand the Browns interest as they already paid Sheldon Richardson big money to be their 3-tech and have Ogunjobi at the nose. Seems like if he wants to start, Colts and Pats would have the best opportunity plus scheme fit.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

If we don't sign him it's because Irsay doesn't want to spend period..

Wrong. Very wrong. Irsay told Ballard to go get Collins even after the redskins offered that ridiculous contract

On 5/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, krunk said:

Why would Suh not be a scheme fit? What we play now isn't much different than what they did in Detroit when he was there.

If I'm not mistaken, University of Nebraska-Lincoln played a 3-4 defense. And the Rams also played a 3-4 defense. Yes, the Lions played a 4-3 and so did the Dolphins, but still. But the main thing is I personally think he lost a step over the years. I don't think he's as fast as he used to be. I just think he's too much of a risk. We'll see what price he goes at, but I'm not as eager to get him as some people on this forum

One thing people are discounting is that McCoy has never been in the playoffs. He wants to finish his career with a winner. The Browns aren't there yet; the Colts have arrived. The Colts' defensive scheme and their championship potential fit McCoy perfectly. Of course money is important. But if the Colts are competitive with their offer, they have a great shot at getting a difference maker on D. I'd love to see this guy wearing the Shoe. 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not to mention the Falcons franchised tagged Grady Jarett.  They need to get him signed too.  Can they afford both DT's?  I guess anything is possible.  If I am Jarett and they sign McCoy before me I would not be very happy.  

42 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Oh well.  He most likely will be signed tomorrow.  Teams rarely let players leave once they have them in the building.  I'm hoping he committed to visiting the Colts and he will follow through.  And we have no way of knowing that.  It sure does looks like he will have a new team in the next few days.

With Suh getting a contract that maxes out at $10M, the market is set 

the Browns, Ravens, Pats, heck anyone can really afford to give him a one year $10M deal. 

My guess is he ends up w the Browns, Ravens or Pats. All contenders in the AFC who if rather not see him with.

If im Cleveland, I don’t let him out of town.  

46 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

With Suh getting a contract that maxes out at $10M, the market is set 

the Browns, Ravens, Pats, heck anyone can really afford to give him a one year $10M deal. 

My guess is he ends up w the Browns, Ravens or Pats. All contenders in the AFC who if rather not see him with.

If im Cleveland, I don’t let him out of town.  

So it will be between 10 and 13.  No one will give him 13.  We gave Houston two years for 24.  This shouldn't be to hard for Ballard.  Give him something similar or close to Houston and he should be a Colt.  I'm guessing he would like a two year duration like Houston which should help us get him.  

9 hours ago, krunk said:

For one he won't, but I'd rather spend it to try and get even better than just let it sit..It will be a 2 yr deal, won't affect signing our young guys when they are due..

I still wonder if we ever talked to Suh. 9.25 for one year seems really reasonable. I would given him that in a heartbeat. I'd happily give McCoy 10-12 a year for 2 years. 

Either one of these guys could have been, or could be signed with little to no impact to our fiscal situation. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I still wonder if we ever talked to Suh. 9.25 for one year seems really reasonable. I would given him that in a heartbeat. I'd happily give McCoy 10-12 a year for 2 years. 

Either one of these guys could have been, or could be signed with little to no impact to our fiscal situation. 

Agreed! That said Cleveland has like $30M or soo too I believe. 

so I can easily see them making an offer that we need to beat. And I just don’t think it’s in Ballard’s dna yet to do that. And definitely not for a 31 yr old 3-tech where he seems to have a lot of faith in Autry/Lewis/Ward. I would do it but that’s why I’m not leading this team lol. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed! That said Cleveland has like $30M or soo too I believe. 

so I can easily see them making an offer that we need to beat. And I just don’t think it’s in Ballard’s dna yet to do that. And definitely not for a 31 yr old 3-tech where he seems to have a lot of faith in Autry/Lewis/Ward. I would do it but that’s why I’m not leading this team lol. 

I look at it this way. McCoy is a great locker room guy. Great example. We'll have plenty, I mean plenty of $$ left over, again.... We're sitting well for 2020 cap space as well (forecasted to have the most again IIRC). 

This is a no risk, almost a guaranteed reward scenario. Even if he got injured 1st game and was out for the season, he'd be a great cheerleader in the locker room and on the sideline for our young guys.

Spend the dang money lol.

15 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

The most NFL cap space and what Irsay's budget is may be numerically far apart. 

After signing Houston & Funchess, can Irsay afford another market value contract?