Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

38 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The most NFL cap space and what Irsay's budget is may be numerically far apart. 

After signing Houston & Funchess, can Irsay afford another market value contract?

Irsay's isn't missing meals. As long as he can buy Beatles pianos, he can spend on the team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could totally be agent-speak, but if McCoy is legit getting offers in the $11M range and has interest from up to 10 teams then the Colts are even less likely to get into a bidding war and land him. 

I think we we wanted him if he came at a decent value. At this point he’s gonna get market value or above. 

33 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Could totally be agent-speak, but if McCoy is legit getting offers in the $11M range and has interest from up to 10 teams then the Colts are even less likely to get into a bidding war and land him. 

I think we we wanted him if he came at a decent value. At this point he’s gonna get market value or above. 

I said 2 years 25 mil. I still think thats enough to get him, but there is sone serious competition for his services

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The most NFL cap space and what Irsay's budget is may be numerically far apart. 

After signing Houston & Funchess, can Irsay afford another market value contract?

Irsay can afford anything Ballard wants to do.     He can easily afford to spend up the limits of the salary cap and we’re far from being even close to the salary cap limit.   What do we have to spend?    $65 mill?  $70 mill?    The most in the NFL.

We’re in position to extend the deals of guys like AC and TYH and others.  If we DON’T sign McCoy it won’t be because we don’t have the money to spend.  It will be because we decided not to spend that much money.   Those are two completely different issues. 

• Like 2

I dont see us spending that kind of money for his guy

Could be wrong.......

I would love to have him

But.......

We have a packed UT spot..... with 4 guys that play it

Ward, Autry, Lewis.......  I think McCoy is better, but we have a decent rotation at the spot

McCoy would be in the rotation

Do you pay 10-13 Mil for a rotation guy who is on the wrong side of 30

I dont see it happening.......

The Colts have probably pegged the guy at 7-9 Mil..........

They have proven to almost always drop out of bidding war

On 5/24/2019 at 7:35 AM, PeterBowman said:

I was reading Stephen Holders Twitter yesterday and he's hearing the Colts want MCCoy but they don't "need" him.....even if it was a need, they won't go over their set value for him.

This is no surprise to anyone paying attention... at all.  That is Ballards M.O.

He is not afraid to back away from the table at a certain point and say they're prepared to go another route.

6 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Easily in the range Ballard would be willing to go IMO.  Very similar player to Houston.  We are a contender that should help.  I still think it needs to be a 2 yr. deal.  With that much competition it will certainly be harder now. 

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Oh well.  He most likely will be signed tomorrow.  Teams rarely let players leave once they have them in the building.  I'm hoping he committed to visiting the Colts and he will follow through.  And we have no way of knowing that.  It sure does looks like he will have a new team in the next few days.

The Ravens ain't making the playoffs. Dont know why they are on his short list. I dont believe in Lamar Jackson as a passer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont see us spending that kind of money for his guy

Could be wrong.......

I would love to have him

But.......

We have a packed UT spot..... with 4 guys that play it

Ward, Autry, Lewis.......  I think McCoy is better, but we have a decent rotation at the spot

McCoy would be in the rotation

Do you pay 10-13 Mil for a rotation guy who is on the wrong side of 30

I dont see it happening.......

The Colts have probably pegged the guy at 7-9 Mil..........

They have proven to almost always drop out of bidding war

I agree. I think he is better than the other guys on the team but is he 6+ million a year better than the next UT that we have currently? I say if it’s 11-12/yr, we just stay with who we came with and move on. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I said 2 years 25 mil. I still think thats enough to get him, but there is sone serious competition for his services

I call nonsense on it being 10 teams in at 10+ yr. it’s to get someone panicked to jump in with that offer to get the prize. Agents aren’t always honest about stuff lol. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

He was cut before he stepped foot onto any Bucs turf because they don't think he is worth 13 million, and didn't want to be on the hook for it if he got injured on their property. They (Arians) wouldn't keep him 12.5 per year either, I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I agree. I think he is better than the other guys on the team but is he 6+ million a year better than the next UT that we have currently? I say if it’s 11-12/yr, we just stay with who we came with and move on. 

I do not think we will enter into the over 10 million bidding market, with or without incentives. (Suh's contract limit), and >= $11 mil closes the door.  We'll see.

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I call nonsense on it being 10 teams in at 10+ yr. it’s to get someone panicked to jump in with that offer to get the prize. Agents aren’t always honest about stuff lol. 

That's where my thought process is right now as well...  Thx.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I agree.... unfortunately, all it takes is the Browns and Jets this off-season and these price tags get stupid expensive.

Bottom line.... I'd offer him 2yrs/$19m.... and that's it.

• Like 2

We have plenty of cap space for the next year or two, but you'd have to ask what would this do to the locker room. McCoy seems like a great character guy, someone that can lead by example, that might be worth a little extra. The Buc cut a good player and a great locker room guy for Suh, who's "none of the above"..

Not feeling it any longer, in regards to McCoy being a Colt.  It could still happen, sure..... but at this point I think offers have been made, it would take McCoy WANTING to be a Colt for it to happen.  He's reported to be a good dude, but even good dudes need to get PAID sometimes...... Can't blame him, we'd all do the same....

Ten teams with offers approaching or at 11m yet The Bucs couldn't trade him for a 7th.  I can see a handful of teams being interested but 10?  I don't think so.  This is all smoke and mirrors to get the Browns to panic and sign him today.  Which could easily work.  That said I like our chances if he gets out of Cleveland.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ten teams with offers approaching or at 11m yet The Bucs couldn't trade him for a 7th.  I can see a handful of teams being interested but 10?  I don't think so.  This is all smoke and mirrors to get the Browns to panic and sign him today.  Which could easily work.  That said I like our chances if he gets out of Cleveland.  

Teams wouldn't trade for him as he would come with the over 13 million salary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He was cut before he stepped foot onto any Bucs turf because they don't think he is worth 13 million, and didn't want to be on the hook for it if he got injured on their property. They (Arians) wouldn't keep him 12.5 per year either, I'm sure.

I do not think we will enter into the over 10 million bidding market, with or without incentives. (Suh's contract limit), and >= $11 mil closes the door.  We'll see.

That's what I posted a couple days ago. I think 20 for 2 years would be the highest the Colts would go.

• Like 1

And I repeat......he wants to play for a champ before he hangs up the cleats. The Browns haven't been to the playoffs in forever. And they very well may not get there this year either. The Colts are a different story. If the money is close, I like the Colts' chances. 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

do you see the level of interest? Mccoy is gonna go with the highest bidding. All players do. The locker room and culture is secondary.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay can afford anything Ballard wants to do.     He can easily afford to spend up the limits of the salary cap and we’re far from being even close to the salary cap limit.   What do we have to spend?    $65 mill?  $70 mill?    The most in the NFL.

We’re in position to extend the deals of guys like AC and TYH and others.  If we DON’T sign McCoy it won’t be because we don’t have the money to spend.  It will be because we decided not to spend that much money.   Those are two completely different issues. 

Well I'm kinda going by what you said in another thread about our signing bonuses being smaller percentage wise than other teams and Irsay not being in top half of wealth of other owners and Indy being a small market etc....

I think you made some sense there and possibly on to something. It would explain our cap space last few seasons. 

But hoping we do get McCoy. It would be better to play with him than play against him if another team signs him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

And I repeat......he wants to play for a champ before he hangs up the cleats. The Browns haven't been to the playoffs in forever. And they very well may not get there this year either. The Colts are a different story. If the money is close, I like the Colts' chances. 

The Browns are an enigma. In many ways, they are last year Jags- pre season favorites. They could fall like the Jags did, or escalate.  Under old regimes, they fold like a cheap lawn chair. Under Dorsey, I think they compete/ possibly win the AFC North.

58 minutes ago, CR91 said:

do you see the level of interest? Mccoy is gonna go with the highest bidding. All players do. The locker room and culture is secondary.

The $$ almost always win, no matter what players say about championships.

If a player in his last stages is truly serious about playing for a champ, he goes to Belichick, takes a pay cut, checks his ego at the door, and applies his skills in the Patriot way.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Browns are an enigma. In many ways, they are last year Jags- pre season favorites. They could fall like the Jags did, or escalate.  Under old regimes, they fold like a cheap lawn chair. Under Dorsey, I think they compete/ possibly win the AFC North.

The $$ almost always win, no matter what players say about championships.

If a player in his last stages is truly serious about playing for a champ, he goes to Belichick, takes a pay cut, checks his ego at the door, and applies his skills in the Patriot way.

The "patriot way" is just another way of saying shut the bleep up and do as we say :bored:

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

We paid $12 million per for a past his prime Justin Houston.  I could see the Colts paying that much for McCoy if they really want him. It wouldn’t sink our cap at all to do a 2 year deal for that amount.  Should be enough to slap a Shoe upside his head and improve our D-line. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I highly doubt he ends up anywhere other than Cleveland. From the sound of thing's that's where he wants to be if the money is even. Dorsey seems to have made him a priority as well even though their DT position seems already set.

I'm a little surprised at Cleveland being that interested.  Like you said DT seems already set for them.  I know depth is important but that's a spot I wasn't expecting them to go after.  They could have had Suh and I think Moe is still available if they wanted depth.  I actually think we are more needy than they are at that spot.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm a little surprised at Cleveland being that interested.  Like you said DT seems already set for them.  I know depth is important but that's a spot I wasn't expecting them to go after.  They could have had Suh and I think Moe is still available if they wanted depth.  I actually think we are more needy than they are at that spot.  

The Colts are more needy at the position than Cleveland.  The Browns signed Sheldon Richardson this offseason to a 3 year 37 million dollar deal.  If they add McCoy for upwards of $11 million per...that’s an awful lot of money potentially invested in the DT position.  One would question the soundness of this fiscally for Cleveland even though we know they have the cap to do it if they so choose.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

....and that is what bothers me. There is not enough draft picks to get every position of need. Plus, if McCoy signs for anything less than double digit millions per year, it would also signal that Ballard does not see the DT position the way we see it. I feel a 2 yr. $20 mil. deal and McCoy will be ours, if done right but I have learnt not to get my hopes up with Ballard, just like with Polian regarding free agency. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We paid $12 million per for a past his prime Justin Houston.  I could see the Colts paying that much for McCoy if they really want him. It wouldn’t sink our cap at all to do a 2 year deal for that amount.  Should be enough to slap a Shoe upside his head and improve our D-line. 

We could afford that

But....... think about it

He was a 13M "hit" for TB

He was agressively shopped for a trade

If he is all that valuable, wouldnt someone have just gave up a 6th for him and just taken his contract? It was a contract that had zero penalty clause

I think an AGENT is "leaking" false info to try to bid this up

I bet the real number is less than 10

(A little Less than Suh)

• Like 3

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

The Colts are more needy at the position than Cleveland.  The Browns signed Sheldon Richardson this offseason to a 3 year 37 million dollar deal.  If they add McCoy for upwards of $11 million per...that’s an awful lot of money potentially invested in the DT position.  One would question the soundness of this fiscally for Cleveland even though we know they have the cap to do it if they so choose.  

Wow!  I knew they signed Richardson but I forgot it was for that much.  That makes this move even more puzzling to me.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We could afford that

But....... think about it

He was a 13M "hit" for TB

He was agressively shopped for a trade

If he is all that valuable, wouldnt someone have just gave up a 6th for him and just taken his contract? It was a contract that had zero penalty clause

I think an AGENT is "leaking" false info to try to bid this up

I bet the real number is less than 10

(A little Less than Suh)

Makes a lot of sense.  I guess we will find out soon enough what his value truly  is.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wow!  I knew they signed Richardson but I forgot it was for that much.  That makes this move even more puzzling to me.  

Dorsey is doing what the Jaguars and Eagles have lately done. It works for a year or two but eventually sets you back, IMO. Not everyone has Belichick AND Brady though, so they are going all-in more often. John Elway did that with Talib, Sanders, Ware, Ward etc. to go with Peyton and it got him 1 SB. A lot of tight cap squeezing is forgotten if you win that 1 SB. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Dorsey is doing what the Jaguars and Eagles have lately done. It works for a year or two but eventually sets you back, IMO. Not everyone has Belichick AND Brady though, so they are going all-in more often. John Elway did that with Talib, Sanders, Ware, Ward etc. to go with Peyton and it got him 1 SB. A lot of tight cap squeezing is forgotten if you win that 1 SB. 

So true.  Going all in with Peyton made a lot of sense.  I could even see it with The Jaguars and Eagles.  To me it seems a little early for the Browns to do it.  But if he signs him it looks like that is what he is thinking.  Got to take your shot!

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes we did pay a lot for a guy that is older but is a well known player for CB. My contention is really, do we see CB adding 2 high priced older players on that line while maybe being forced to dump a younger budding player in his place? He preaches youth and speed and high character mainly. I just don’t see him adding 2 30 y/o + high valued contracts on the line while we have guys right now who could potentially match this older players game by mid to later year. 5,6 years older on players in this sport will wear you down in a hurry.