Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe he’s the nose on passing downs only?    Otherwise...........

An idea, but then we'd have to push Lewis outside which basically means Gerri Green goes to the PS

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm not a big social media guy, but guessing obj's comment was not on twitter, but some other SM.

So,  we're now determining that McCoy is wanted in Cleveland because a player gives a thumbs up to GM coming to the team?     That's all it takes these days?

Wake me when there's a little more smoke....    a little more substance...

Who does GM replace Inman the roster if we sign him? 9 years on a DT is a lot of wear, how has his injury time been last few years if anything? If he isn’t  the NT type and just the UT, is he 10 million better than the next player down from him to justify cap space on him? Idk, can’t say I’ve watched any of his game. 

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

How long... how much?

He should be hot enough that he’s not gonna sign a 1-year deal.  You’ll have to do 3 years, maybe at $11 mil per year, but structured so you can get out reasonably after two.  Just a guess, though...not sure what he’ll demand.  The dude should be hungry to play for a contender..

18 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

McCoy would have been a good addition to the Colts.... four years ago.

He's a 10 year veteran now.  He's no spring chicken.  He's not even a summer chicken.  Autumn?  Maybe.

Why is that?

There seems to be this perception that Ballard has a general aversion to aging players, but his actions, especially when it comes to the DL, contradict that. Ballard gave both Al Woods and Margus two-year deals heading into their age 30 seasons...and just re-signed Hunt for his age 32 season. Ballard also gave a fairly large two-year deal to Justin Houston, an EDGE rusher, who will be entering his 9th year and age 30 season.

This will be McCoy's 10th year and age 31 season...and is a better talent than both Woods and Hunt. McCoy has also only missed 8 games in the past 6 seasons...compared to Houston who has missed 21 in the past 6 seasons. So if the previous signings made sense...then McCoy definitely does as well...from an age, durability and production standpoint. And then you factor in his locker room presence and leadership. 

I have been beating the drum for McCoy all offseason. IF he doesnt end up in CLE...I think he's a Colt...before the next OTAs begin (but possibly even sooner). Give him a two-year deal to add someone that can help them win now and next season...as well as be a mentor to any other young IDL players currently on the team or brought in next offseason (which I imagine will be a focus after addressing other areas this offseason).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Who does GM replace Inman the roster if we sign him? 9 years on a DT is a lot of wear, how has his injury time been last few years if anything? If he isn’t  the NT type and just the UT, is he 10 million better than the next player down from him to justify cap space on him? Idk, can’t say I’ve watched any of his game. 

Missed 8 games in the past 6 seasons. Has had 6 or more sacks for the past 6 seasons. In the past two seasons, he has averaged 6 sacks and 22 QB hits. His 6 sacks last season would have been second on the DL...and his 21 QB hits would have have been 8 more than the Colts leader.

• Like 1

The Colts have some depth at UT. But Jihard Ward has only played in 11 games the past two seasons. He and Tyquan Lewis combined to play only 14 games last season...same as McCoy. And in those 14 games they combined for less sacks and QB hits than McCoy. Ward and Lewis being on the roster are not good enough reasons to pass on adding a player like McCoy. Ballard certainly didn't pass on adding Houston  

Besides, Ballard wants a rotation and versatility at DL...there will be snaps to go around. McCoy (and his size) only adds to that depth and versatility I think.

5 hours ago, Legend said:

McCoy > Suh if you're a Colts fan.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

He should be hot enough that he’s not gonna sign a 1-year deal.  You’ll have to do 3 years, maybe at $11 mil per year, but structured so you can get out reasonably after two.  Just a guess, though...not sure what he’ll demand.  The dude should be hungry to play for a contender..

McCoy  would fit, and be productive in season.  Suh is an enticing choice for the playoffs, when teams (like the Patriots) go power at your speed defense.

Question for Ballard/coaches... do you have the guys (and depth) to combat power in the post season on the roster now?  Are they ready or still need to develop?

If not, then would want them to evaluate these possibilities, or if Colts suffer injuries.  But Lets see what plan is in place when pre-season games arrive.

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

This would be a solid veteran signing. Though I would play him and Autry together and rotate in Hunt and Lewis followed by Stewart and Ward....

I'd probably play Tyquan more on the outside if Mcoy were here.  Still would sprinkle him in on the inside but I think you play him more on the outside.

• Like 1

McCoy fits Ballard’s gauge...but he will probably command more attention on the open market than Houston did by comparison.

Considering his health, leadership, and production he’s a different age 31 star than usually hits the market.  He has 2 or 3 high level seasons left in him.

Interior sack production despite being the focal point of blocking schemes has to be taken into consideration as well.

While I don’t think Ballard wants another player this age on the defense...I do think he’ll recruit him hard and make a square bid.

31 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I know what you mean...but the way we are playing Hunt it appears we might have to rethink what we know about NT in this system.

Yeah but Hunt is way stronger than Mcoy and he is what 6ft 7 or 8?  So he's got the length and the strength to take on double teams and man handle people.  I don't think you use Mcoy in the same way you would use Al Woods.  Margus Hunt on the other hand can play anything on the interior well.  His most mediocre position is DE. He's better when he's on the inside. 

Gerald Mccoy is your classic 3 Tech like Warren Sapp.  And when I say classic I mean that's all he is. I'd be okay with the aquisition, but I've noticed a trend with the Colts.  They seem to like for all of their 3 Techs to be able to play multiple positions.  And if you want specifics I would say DE primarily. Autry plays 3T and DE,  Lewis plays 3T and DE, and Ward plays 3T, DE, and maybe a little 1Tech.  There's a pattern there of them wanting guys who are versatile.

Yes, on a 1 year deal. Remember, Seahawks got Michael Bennett from the Bucs!!! If McCoy believes in the Paper Tiger Browns, that is a different story altogether. I am not interested in a bidding war with the Browns. :) 

11 hours ago, Caffrey said:
  1. Might be a blessing in disguise, having both McCoy and Suh both available DT FA's.  One might think they should sign sooner than later with an opportunity to play of a up and coming competitor and can compete now for a Championship, with either as the final piece to the puzzle.  If we sign one of them, the other will be left looking for another team, unlikely with the upside of the Colts.  I think a fair 2 year contract would be OK, with some incentives. If either focuses on their game, preparation and physical conditioning, he can be a solid player with the supporting cast we can provide. 

I have been banging the Suh drum for weeks.  I think he is the better player on the field.  McCoy seems like a great locker room presence, and still talented.  I would be happy signing either, but would prefer Suh.  I could see Ballard going with McCoy over Suh based on the all the variables.  I know some of you probably think we shouldn't sign either.  Would you guys like to sign McCoy, Suh, or neither?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I have been banging the Suh drum for weeks.  I think he is the better player on the field.  McCoy seems like a great locker room presence, and still talented.  I would be happy signing either, but would prefer Suh.  I could see Ballard going with McCoy over Suh based on the all the variables.  I know some of you probably think we shouldn't sign either.  Would you guys like to sign McCoy, Suh, or neither?

I'd be cool with either one of them, but I think Suh is more versatile than Mccoy.  I think Suh can play the 3 Tech or the 1 Tech. I think he'd probably get more than 4 sacks with the way we use our  D lineman in this scheme. Especially with us playing on the turf like he used to do in Detroit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I have been banging the Suh drum as well but I would be happy if we signed McCoy instead. I like both.

51 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

if you sign McCoy you cut Hunt. 

Why?

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Yeah but Hunt is way stronger than Mcoy and he is what 6ft 7 or 8?  So he's got the length and the strength to take on double teams and man handle people.  I don't think you use Mcoy in the same way you would use Al Woods.  Margus Hunt on the other hand can play anything on the interior well.  His most mediocre position is DE. He's better when he's on the inside. 

Gerald Mccoy is your classic 3 Tech like Warren Sapp.  And when I say classic I mean that's all he is. I'd be okay with the aquisition, but I've noticed a trend with the Colts.  They seem to like for all of their 3 Techs to be able to play multiple positions.  And if you want specifics I would say DE primarily. Autry plays 3T and DE,  Lewis plays 3T and DE, and Ward plays 3T, DE, and maybe a little 1Tech.  There's a pattern there of them wanting guys who are versatile.

There is something to the leverage Hunt plays with that is unique to his height and strength...no doubt.  

However, we’re using Hunt to aggressively penetrate upfield through the A or B gap - mostly the A in the latter half of the year.  We’re not asking him to a NT job description.  

I’m sure we’d play McCoy at 3T like he has his whole career....that’s what he is and he’ll force some double teams from that spot...but you could also ask him to do the same thing through an A gap just like we did with Autry and Hunt in the double A gap looks we used frequently after Woods went out 

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been banging the Suh drum as well but I would be happy if we signed McCoy instead. I like both.

I saysign them both to 1 year mercenary deals.  Less base with lots of incentives.  Something like 8 mil guaranteed, 2 mil for 8+ sacks. 4 mil for a Super Bowl appearance. Maybe some other incntives like a mil for 16 games played.  

Here are the DT's Hunt, Audrey, Lewis, Stewart, Ward.

If you add McCoy you have to cut one of the above. Steward is the only true NT. So that leave Ward or Hunt. Do you want two 31-32 year old DTs? Are you willing to give up on Ward by cutting him? 

10 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Here are the DT's Hunt, Audrey, Lewis, Stewart, Ward.

If you add McCoy you have to cut one of the above. Steward is the only true NT. So that leave Ward or Hunt. Do you want two 31-32 year old DTs? Are you willing to give up on Ward by cutting him? 

Why would somebody need to be cut? You could keep Mcoy just the same as we kept Ridgeway last year. And Lewis could always be moved to DE.

1 hour ago, BlueCrew48 said:

McCoy. I'm not convinced at all of Suh's scheme fit, and I also think he could go overpriced very easily. That right there is enough to not sign him and notice I didn't even mention culture or whatever.

28 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I saysign them both to 1 year mercenary deals.  Less base with lots of incentives.  Something like 8 mil guaranteed, 2 mil for 8+ sacks. 4 mil for a Super Bowl appearance. Maybe some other incntives like a mil for 16 games played.  

The problem is that we don't really have room for 2 more interior d linemen

9 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

McCoy. I'm not convinced at all of Suh's scheme fit, and I also think he could go overpriced very easily. That right there is enough to not sign him and notice I didn't even mention culture or whatever.

The problem is that we don't really have room for 2 more interior d linemen

Why would Suh not be a scheme fit? What we play now isn't much different than what they did in Detroit when he was there.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would somebody need to be cut? You could keep Mcoy just the same as we kept Ridgeway last year. And Lewis could always be moved to DE.

Because we added Houston.  If Lewis is DE then you have to cut 

Al-Quadin Muhammad. We are not going to keep 10 D-Linemen