Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Bucs are releasing Gerald McCoy

is he a option for the Colts?

Yes....  I would think so.   The $$$ have to be right, but I would think we’d be interested...   he’s exactly the type of player Ballard would want in his locker room.

And if we don’t make a move on McCoy, that should tell you what Ballard thinks of Autry, Lewis and Ward.   That’s a really good three some, all of whom play McCoy’s spot.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....  I would think so.   The $$$ have to be right, but I would think we’d be interested...   he’s exactly the type of player Ballard would want in his locker room.

And if we don’t move McCoy, that should tell you what Ballard thinks of Autry, Lewis and Ward.   That’s a really good three some, all of whom play McCoy’s spot.  

That's exactly why I think it's a hard pass. I can't imagine Ballard giving him the $. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And if we don’t move McCoy, that should tell you what Ballard thinks of Autry, Lewis and Ward.   That’s a really good three some, all of whom play McCoy’s spot.  

The money could be the only problematic thing 

• Like 1

The question is....... can he play the 1 tech?

He is 300Lbs, and is a penetrating force (Or at least used to be)

He supposedly a high character, locker room kinda guy.....

We do have a logjam at UT, which McCoy plays

I put it at 25% chance

Just now, PeterBowman said:

Is McCoy at this stage better than who the Colts currently have?

Maybe, maybe not.   But he's likely as good as Autry.   More experienced than Lewis and Ward,  but he's great in the locker room.   Great on the sidelines.     Good on the field.    Veteran leadership and presense...

The question would be,  how much would McCoy want?     The Devil is in the details....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Is McCoy at this stage better than who the Colts currently have?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe, maybe not.   But he's likely as good as Autry.   More experienced than Lewis and Ward,  but he's great in the locker room.   Great on the sidelines.     Good on the field.    Veteran leadership and presense...

The question would be,  how much would McCoy want?     The Devil is in the details....

That is exactly the way I feel

• Like 1

I definitely think so.  He's the type of veteran presence that I think Ballard would be after at a position that probably could use a little fortifying.  As with other available FA's I can see Ballard putting down a number and not budging to much from it.  I think it would be a good and fair offer maybe with incentives.  McCoy will have his share of suitors so it will be interesting to see how his situation plays out.  But YES he should be an option for the Colts. 

McCoy is better than anything we have along the D-line. He's a very high character guy and still plays at a very high level. I think he's capable of playing the NT spot but he's better suited as a UT where we're kind of deep at the moment. I'd take him on a one or two year deal. I don't think he's ever been to the playoffs. He's made a ton of money already so you'd hope now he is hungry for a title run.

• Thanks 1

1. Might be a blessing in disguise, having both McCoy and Suh both available DT FA's.  One might think they should sign sooner than later with an opportunity to play of a up and coming competitor and can compete now for a Championship, with either as the final piece to the puzzle.  If we sign one of them, the other will be left looking for another team, unlikely with the upside of the Colts.  I think a fair 2 year contract would be OK, with some incentives. If either focuses on their game, preparation and physical conditioning, he can be a solid player with the supporting cast we can provide. 
  • Thanks 1

We didn't address an interior disrupter in the draft.  Maybe Ballard gambled on this happening?  Either way, he should correct that problem now.  Need to take that pocket apart from the inside.  Imo, our current crop can't do that consistently. 

Not sure if I see it happening unless they decide to kick Lewis back out to DE. We've got Autry, Lewis and Jihad Ward at 3 Tech. I guess you move Lewis to DE again and go with him, Turay, and Banogu as the edge rushers behind Houston and Sheard. Then you'd have Mccoy, Autry, and Ward on the inside at 3T. Not sure!