Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Yes we did pay a lot for a guy that is older but is a well known player for CB. My contention is really, do we see CB adding 2 high priced older players on that line while maybe being forced to dump a younger budding player in his place? He preaches youth and speed and high character mainly. I just don’t see him adding 2 30 y/o + high valued contracts on the line while we have guys right now who could potentially match this older players game by mid to later year. 5,6 years older on players in this sport will wear you down in a hurry. 

I think potentially is the key word.  We didn't have to sign Houston.  We could have just let our younger guys have at it and see if they could produce.  But Ballard signed him.   Like you said we can pass on McCoy and let our younger guys have at it.  But the reports are we are interested.  So if the reports are true signing him is not out of the question.  If he leaves Cleveland anything can happen.  Let's hope we are one of his visits.  

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There you go.  On to Baltimore.  I have to admit I thought he was going to sign with the Browns.  Baltimore?  I don't get his interest in Baltimore.  I don't see them as a contender with basically a rookie at QB.  Regardless if we are truly interested I would expect his agent to mention us as one of his other scheduled visits fairly soon.  Let's hope so. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

There you go.  On to Baltimore.  I have to admit I thought he was going to sign with the Browns.  Baltimore?  I don't get his interest in Baltimore.  I don't see them as a contender with basically a rookie at QB.  Regardless if we are truly interested I would expect his agent to mention us as one of his other scheduled visits fairly soon.  Let's hope so. 

Ravens only have 14 mil so they would have to make some moves to afford him unless they wanna go into the season with just 4 mil or less

• Like 1

I think if he truly wants a contender the colts and patriots are the only option. The browns haven’t proved anything yet. If it was me I would pick the colts over the patriots because we are younger. He may feel and the teams might feel it isn’t a necessity to visit the patriots or colts because both sides already know what they are getting.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if he truly wants a contender the colts and patriots are the only option. The browns haven’t proved anything yet. If it was me I would pick the colts over the patriots because we are younger. He may feel and the teams might feel it isn’t a necessity to visit the patriots or colts because both sides already know what they are getting.

On top of that the Patriots have a little over 9m in cap space and just resigned D.Shelton.  

• Like 1

I never ever worry about cap space for teams at this point. They can restructure or make any moves they want to fit a guy under the cap. Especially in a multi year deal. 

So so really just about anyone can truly “afford” McCoy. 

The Ravens have issues but are a historically well coached and great defensive team. Makes sense for defenders to want to go there. 

I still want McCoy. But unless there’s rumors of a visit to Indy then I’m not getting any hopes up

for all we know we reached out to his agent and kicked the tires. We though we’d offer $7-$9M. We heard $10+ and we said good luck and he started to take his visits. 

Im not saying that’s how it went down. But that could easily be the case and we could already be out. 

Or or we could be waiting to see what he gets offered and swoop in later to match or beat it. Who knows. 

I just always thought ought it was an unlikely marriage w the colts once so many teams got involved or expressed interest. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

The "patriot way" is just another way of saying shut the bleep up and do as we say :bored:

Hmmm... "The "patriot way" is just another way of saying shut the bleep up and do as we say :bored:" you say...

Well, because it works. "Just do your job" ...

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Can we at least get a visit scheduled.... 

I don’t think we would really have to have a visit scheduled. I think both sides already know what they are getting. He could be visiting the browns and ravens because they are probably two teams he could be unsure about if they can win right away. 

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

Or or we could be waiting to see what he gets offered and swoop in later to match or beat it. Who knows. 

doubt that... if he sees his #, he pulls out the pen. Not call other GM's and say 'can you beat this?'

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we would really have to have a visit scheduled. I think both sides already know what they are getting. He could be visiting the browns and ravens because they are probably two teams he could be unsure about if they can win right away. 

I'd want a visit... medical checkup (Physical) and then, possibly, work him out. Otherwise no deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Interesting theory.  I can see that take.  He knows we are definite contenders and Chris has the reputation of being fair so that all parties are happy when a deal is reached.  I could be wrong but I don't remember Houston taking a visit with us.  I remember waking up one day and reading we have signed him.   If you're right we still could be in this.  Here's hoping.  

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting theory.  I can see that take.  He knows we are definite contenders and Chris has the reputation of being fair so that all parties are happy when a deal is reached.  I could be wrong but I don't remember Houston taking a visit with us.  I remember waking up one day and reading we have signed him.   If you're right we still could be in this.  Here's hoping.  

I don’t think Houston ever did visit. I think McCoy has a good reputation around the league so I could see them not needing a visit. Probably will learn more next week.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

doubt that... if he sees his #, he pulls out the pen. Not call other GM's and say 'can you beat this?'

The only reason I doubt this logic is that there was a good report out of Cleveland from a reliable reporter that he has one offer of $11M for one year but it’s from a team that isn’t as much of a contender and as such he’s considering other teams and seeing what they’re willing to give. Same source says the offer in Cleveland would be under $10M

so he isn’t just seeing his number and signing. If that were true he’d have signed for that $11M on the dotted line as soon as he got it (unless he’s looking for more than $11M which would be rough). He’s smartly shopping around. Trying to find the best mix of team (contender if we believe him wanting to go to a contender) and money

so it’ll come down to which “good” team makes him the best offer 

as such I can see his agent shopping him and playing off the offers. Hell a good agent should do that

so again, we may already be out or we may be right in the thick of things behind the scenes 

he does have ties to a coach on the ravens as well. And has allegedly had them on his short list too. So that Tuesday visit next week will be a key one. 

Im not optimistic for us but I’m still hopeful that we at least engaged w his agent and have an idea of where things are at continuously 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

The only reason I doubt this logic is that there was a good report out of Cleveland from a reliable reporter that he has one offer of $11M for one year but it’s from a team that isn’t as much of a contender and as such he’s considering other teams and seeing what they’re willing to give. Same source says the offer in Cleveland would be under $10M

so he isn’t just seeing his number and signing. If that were true he’d have signed for that $11M on the dotted line as soon as he got it (unless he’s looking for more than $11M which would be rough). He’s smartly shopping around. Trying to find the best mix of team (contender if we believe him wanting to go to a contender) and money

as such I can see his agent shopping him and playing off the offers. Hell a good agent should do that

so again, we may already be out or we may be right in the thick of things behind the scenes 

he does have ties to a coach on the ravens as well. And has allegedly had them on his short list too. So that Tuesday visit next week will be a key one. 

Im not optimistic for us but I’m still hopeful that we at least engaged w his agent and have an idea of where things are at continuously 

That Ravens visit I think he's just doing his rounds there. If he's wanting to add to a super bowl contender why would he go play in an entirely different scheme with a 2nd year QB who needs a bunch of work as a passer? I think they've got Kaepernicks old OC but I think the scheme will only hide so much. It's probably going to take a couple weeks before he signs. He can take his time. Especially if he signs with a team like the Colts whose scheme is already blatantly familiar and there is very little transition to be made.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Trying to find the best mix of team (contender if we believe him wanting to go to a contender) and money

No argument here.  I discount high $ offers from Teams with little chance to make playoffs.

Sometimes, though, teams will make a final offer when a guy is in the building, with a stipulation that if you leave, that deal is off the table. So if players finds other 'good' teams aren't offering what agent/he thought, their bargaining position is lessened if they try to go back.  This is why I think we hear of a player ultimately signing at team C for less than he was reportedly offered earlier by team A.  So they have to proceed prudently on good info, not hopes.

Let's see how it goes, but I've no doubt the Ravens were in his target and he might sign there (if $ is reasonable).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

That Ravens visit I think he's just doing his rounds there. If he's wanting to add to a super bowl contender why would he go play in an entirely different scheme with a 2nd year QB who needs a bunch of work as a passer? I think they've got Kaepernicks old OC but I think the scheme will only hide so much. It's probably going to take a couple weeks before he signs. He can take his time. Especially if he signs with a team like the Colts whose scheme is already blatantly familiar and there is very little transition to be made.

I agree about the questionable fit with the Ravens. They play a 3-4; McCoy has been in a 4-3 his entire career, hasn't he? Not to mention they are transitioning with a new QB. The Colts are a far better fit for McCoy. I think if the $ are right, he's a Colt. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

That Ravens visit I think he's just doing his rounds there. If he's wanting to add to a super bowl contender why would he go play in an entirely different scheme with a 2nd year QB who needs a bunch of work as a passer? I think they've got Kaepernicks old OC but I think the scheme will only hide so much.

Greg Roman is a big believer in creative formations and the running game.  However, the Ravens have decided to add passing into the attack. How?  The drafting of Hollywood Brown and Miles Boykin. But if Roman is a big run guy, what does it matter?  It matters because they  (Harbaugh/Roman) also hired David Culley as Assistant Head Coach/Receivers/Passing Coordinator.  He was with Andy Reid in Philly and KC and knows his way around creative passing formulations.

New Scheme, new weapons, new coaching.  From a team known to be an upper level program and contender.  You don't think this is enticing to a veteran looking to land with a possible winner?  The question is fit. McCoy doesn't really need to fly around to places he's not considering just to drum up activity.  More and more teams are becoming more like Ballard... have a value, have an upper limit. Stick to it.

Mary Kay Cabot is a well respected/connected sports reporter at Cleveland.com.  Here's something I found-

"A source told cleveland.com that McCoy has the Browns and Ravens on his short list of the teams he’d like to sign with, and that the Bengals are also interested. His short list includes only three or four teams, the source said, and he’ll only make a couple of visits, with the Browns being his first."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We also don’t know how bad the colts really want him. For the colts it is more of a luxery.

It is also a luxury for Ravens (and Browns too).  They are both fairly well stocked at DL. It's interesting to me McCoy is looking at 3 AFC North teams that doesn't include the Steelers.  And I wonder if Colts are #4... on that short list?

The only teams (I'm aware of) with interest besides these 3 are the Carolina Panters, and the Indianapolis Colts. 

I'ts possible Indy might be the 4th on his short list.  Patriots are no longer in the running and other teams not likely playoff contenders (which McCoy wants, some post season play).  So at what cost?

“He’s not as disruptive as he was four years ago," new Bucs coach Bruce Arians said at the annual coaches’ breakfast there. “He’s still a good player. If he’s here, he’s our starting three [technique]. No doubt about that."

His outright release says BA doesn't feel production = pay anymore, though.

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree about the questionable fit with the Ravens. They play a 3-4; McCoy has been in a 4-3 his entire career, hasn't he? Not to mention they are transitioning with a new QB. The Colts are a far better fit for McCoy. I think if the $ are right, he's a Colt. 

I think so too.  Even if the offers are identical his choice should be the Colts.  I do not understand his infatuation with the Browns or Ravens.  There are contenders and there are CONTENDERS.  Those teams have basically rookies as their QB's.  McCoy only has a couple of years left.  They could be two or three years away.  I don't get the attraction.  The Colts are in the best position to win it this year or next.  Does he really think they are stronger contenders than the Colts?  I don't see it.  Out of all the teams being mentioned the Colts make the most sense if he truly wants to sign with a SB contender.  I can't see the money being a big issue either.  Ballard wouldn't low ball him if he really wanted him.  Our offer would be fair and competitive.  The way I see it the team he should be signing with is the Colts.  

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Greg Roman is a big believer in creative formations and the running game.  However, the Ravens have decided to add passing into the attack. How?  The drafting of Hollywood Brown and Miles Boykin. But if Roman is a big run guy, what does it matter?  It matters because they  (Harbaugh/Roman) also hired David Culley as Assistant Head Coach/Receivers/Passing Coordinator.  He was with Andy Reid in Philly and KC and knows his way around creative passing formulations.

New Scheme, new weapons, new coaching.  From a team known to be an upper level program and contender.  You don't think this is enticing to a veteran looking to land with a possible winner?  The question is fit. McCoy doesn't really need to fly around to places he's not considering just to drum up activity.  More and more teams are becoming more like Ballard... have a value, have an upper limit. Stick to it.

I dont see the Superbowl for the Ravens unless the kid takes a pretty big leap as a passer. I think he's even behind where Mike Vick was at in year 1. I dont think it will take the league long to catch up with what the Ravens will do on the ground. He'd have to show me major improvement as a passer. Right now I dont think he's where Rg3 or Vick were early on.

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind having McCoy, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if the Colts don't land him. He isn't the same player he was a half-dozen years ago, on the wrong side of 30, and probably looking for two or three times what he's worth to the Colts. He would also suck up some snaps that would be valuable for developing some of the "kids". I don't care what he did five or six years ago. Put his numbers from last year up against Margus Hunt's, then look at the contract numbers that are being tossed around. Hunt had slightly better productivity except only had five sacks vs. McCoy's six. At $4.5MM per year on a two-year contract, Hunt is probably Ballard's "yardstick" against which a potential McCoy deal would be measured. If McCoy would take $5-6MM per year on a two-year deal, great. If not, pass, please. 

McCoy also had 21 QB pressures to go along with 6 sacks..That is very good for a DT..He would instantly be our best player at the position..This is a no brainer if we truly want to win Super Bowl..Zero risk..We have been way under the cap for years now going straight into Irsays bank account..Time to go for it, no more we are still rebuilding excuse..A 2 year deal will have zero cap ramifications down the road..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

McCoy also had 21 QB pressures to go along with 6 sacks..That is very good for a DT..He would instantly be our best player at the position..This is a no brainer if we truly want to win Super Bowl..Zero risk..We have been way under the cap for years now going straight into Irsays bank account..Time to go for it, no more we are still rebuilding excuse..A 2 year deal will have zero cap ramifications down the road..

If we can swing a deal that works I'm down with the acquisition certainly. If Autry gets hurt that takes a decent amount of steam from the pass rush. Would be very cool to have Autry and Mccoy.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I wouldn't mind having McCoy, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if the Colts don't land him. He isn't the same player he was a half-dozen years ago, on the wrong side of 30, and probably looking for two or three times what he's worth to the Colts. He would also suck up some snaps that would be valuable for developing some of the "kids". I don't care what he did five or six years ago. Put his numbers from last year up against Margus Hunt's, then look at the contract numbers that are being tossed around. Hunt had slightly better productivity except only had five sacks vs. McCoy's six. At $4.5MM per year on a two-year contract, Hunt is probably Ballard's "yardstick" against which a potential McCoy deal would be measured. If McCoy would take $5-6MM per year on a two-year deal, great. If not, pass, please. 

I like Hunt too but to expect McCoy to take a deal slightly higher than Hunts and 4M below Suh makes no sense to me.  He has the potential to be a difference maker just like Houston.  Houston got a nice contract and McCoy should as well.  Not to mention he would be another great mentor and add to the locker room.  I hope Ballard signs him and if he gives him a nice contract than I'm okay with it.  It's what he feels he should be paid.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

If we can swing a deal that works I'm down with the acquisition certainly. If Autry gets hurt that takes a decent amount of steam from the pass rush. Would be very cool to have Autry and Mccoy.

I'm curious, if Jihad Ward hadn't been injured, if Autry would have turned out like he had last year. I still believe Ward is the better interior player, again as evidenced by him starting inside, and what he did before he got injured.

16 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

chuckle

Hunt can be an important part of our rotation again for sure.

But he is not what McCoy is. FYI McCoy graded 28 and Your Hunt 55th at DT.

And 21-6 in QB Hits. I don't have the numbers on pressures but those are likely a wide difference also. 

No doubt just how high our staff feels about our current roster will determine what our interest is. A fat 2 year offer with considerable guarantees wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm curious, if Jihad Ward hadn't been injured, if Autry would have turned out like he had last year. I still believe Ward is the better interior player, again as evidenced by him starting inside, and what he did before he got injured.

Sorry...   I’m confused.    Ward did NOT start any games for the Colts last year.  Zero starts in 6 games before getting hurt.    Could you have him confused with someone else?  

My source is Ward’s profile page here on the website. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry...   I’m confused.    Ward did NOT start any games for the Colts last year.  Zero starts in 6 games before getting hurt.    Could you have him confused with someone else?  

My source is Ward’s profile page here on the website. 

Let me state that I am by no means discounting what Autry did last year. I am thrilled that Autry played like he did and hopefully he only turns out even better this year. 

You are correct and I absolutely mis-stated Ward starting. However, my opinion of Ward is still the same. Watching the first Houston game, they were playing Ward inside and Autry outside a good handful of times on passing downs. With Ward now healthy, and hopefully he stays that way, and Autry turning into the player he did, I look for those two to be the Colts main interior pass rushers on passing downs. I would like to add McCoy to the stable only to strengthen it even more, but if the Colts pass, I believe they will be fine moving forward with what they have. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

chuckle

Hunt can be an important part of our rotation again for sure.

But he is not what McCoy is. FYI McCoy graded 28 and Your Hunt 55th at DT.

And 21-6 in QB Hits. I don't have the numbers on pressures but those are likely a wide difference also. 

No doubt just how high our staff feels about our current roster will determine what our interest is. A fat 2 year offer with considerable guarantees wouldn't surprise me. 

yup, different level.