Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm curious, if Jihad Ward hadn't been injured, if Autry would have turned out like he had last year. I still believe Ward is the better interior player, again as evidenced by him starting inside, and what he did before he got injured.

Who knows? I just know it would be a great thing to have Autry, Mccoy, Lewis, Ward, Hunt all together in our DL corps.  Very diverse. I think McCoy would be crazy not to give Indy serious consideration. Cleveland looks pretty good right now but you just never know with them. Indy is more certain to win and everything is better here in terms of the Owner, GM, and Coaches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Who knows? I just know it would be a great thing to have Autry, Mccoy, Lewis, Ward, Hunt all together in our DL corps.  Very diverse. I think McCoy would be crazy not to give Indy serious consideration. Cleveland looks pretty good right now but you just never know with them. Indy is more certain to win and everything is better here in terms of the Owner, GM, and Coaches.

raw

• Like 1

Unless we start seeing stories early next week that McCoy is visiting Indy, I’m seriously wondering if it’s the Colts who don’t have the interest?   You’d think McCoy would be interested in us... maybe we’re happy with what we have or are not interested in the asking price?

Just thinking out loud..... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unless we start seeing stories early next week that McCoy is visiting Indy, I’m seriously wondering if it’s the Colts who don’t have the interest?   You’d think McCoy would be interested in us... maybe we’re happy with what we have or are not interested in the asking price?

Could be, but I will keep my eyes open. Mainly due to the Indy reporter's like Chappell and Holder stating we had interest. Although the way they reported it to me didn't seem like strong interest. We shall see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I didn't realize Cleveland picked up Steve Wilks as their D Coordinator. That's a good pick up for them.

Cleveland ain't gonna be no baby..It would not be fun to play in that stadium in the playoffs either...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Could be, but I will keep my eyes open. Mainly due to the Indy reporter's like Chappell and Holder stating we had interest. Although the way they reported it to me didn't seem like strong interest. We shall see.

I agree.  On top of that nothing ever leaks out of the Colts facility.  I believe the reports that said we had interest but this week we should find out it if develops into an actual signing.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  On top of that nothing ever leaks out of the Colts facility.  I believe the reports that said we had interest but this week we should find out it if develops into an actual signing.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  

The Colts don’t have to leak it.   McCoy's people could leak it.   They’d want the competition to know if the Colts, who have the most money,  we’re showing serious interest.  

It's interesting to read the fan's take on Gerald McCoy. But, it's the Colts "way" to let free agents check out "the market" and interview with a lot of interested teams before getting into serious negotiations with the Colts. IMO there are several well run, competent teams besides the Colts for a good player to consider. It's not just the money. There are intangibles for a player to consider, and those are hard to put a value on.

An added thought..........

This is directed at the Ravens, but MOST of the points would apply to the Colts for consideration before rushing to sign the guy

Salary cap isnt one of those

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ravenswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/28/why-the-ravens-shouldnt-sign-gerald-mccoy/amp/

I want McCoy as much as anyone....... but understand either way

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

An added thought..........

This is directed at the Ravens, but MOST of the points would apply to the Colts for consideration before rushing to sign the guy

Salary cap isnt one of those

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ravenswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/28/why-the-ravens-shouldnt-sign-gerald-mccoy/amp/

I want McCoy as much as anyone....... but understand either way

I think the article points out the issues with the Ravens signing him.  I think our only issue would be playing time for the younger players and their development.  With Woods and Ridgeway gone I can get by that.  I think we are closer to being a SB contender than the Ravens so I think adding him might actually help develop the younger guys.  They would probably learn a lot from him being on the team.  I think we were one of the teams interested but it doesn't look like we are in a rush to sign him.  Still hoping though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the article points out the issues with the Ravens signing him.  I think our only issue would be playing time for the younger players and their development.  With Woods and Ridgeway gone I can get by that.  I think we are closer to being a SB contender than the Ravens so I think adding him might actually help develop the younger guys.  They would probably learn a lot from him being on the team.  I think we were one of the teams interested but it doesn't look like we are in a rush to sign him.  Still hoping though.  

Colts might be playing it too cool for their own good in this instance.  McCoy has lots of options and both of his visits have reportedly gone very well.  He doesn’t really need the Colts at this point especially if they don’t seem to think enough of him to bring him in for a visit.  He will sign with a competitive team and get paid regardless.  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 11:09 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I ran across this moments ago-

"One league source was skeptical of how real the Colts’ level of interest actually is, however, and believes it might be driven by folks outside their building."

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He's still in Baltimore-

"McCoy visited the Ravens on Tuesday and his visit will continue into Wednesday, when they could attempt to sign him. While the Ravens are primarily a 3-4 defense, a move here would reunite him with former Bucs defensive line coach Joe Cullen, whom McCoy worked with from 2014-15"

and this-

"McCoy visited the Browns last week before returning to Florida to celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with his family and has remained in touch with the Browns. Sources tell ESPN that the Browns are still very hopeful that he’ll sign. The biggest thing is that he wants to go to a contender. Does Cleveland fit the bill? McCoy wants to be wanted and general manager John Dorsey has conveyed how much they’d love to have him. McCoy also is a fan of quarterback Baker Mayfield. And he’s never had the luxury of playing next to guys like Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon."

Not looking good for those fans wanting him to wear the Shoe at this point, but you never know what could happen until pen meets paper.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Neither the Browns nor the Ravens seem like good fits.  If the Seahawks, Colts and Cowboys don’t become players for McCoy I’ll start to wonder if the market for him was as strong as media reported.

I agree.  It's starting to look like only a few teams were seriously interested.  His decision to stay overnight makes me think he is real close with them and there might not be any more visits to schedule.  I hope I'm wrong.  Maybe Ballard can swoop in this afternoon and change everything.  

A lot of you thought Justin Houston was going to Pittsburgh (a 3-4) team before he signed with Indy. Now we have G. Mccoy talking to a 3-4 team and it looks like he may sign.  It will be crazy if Ballard pulls a deal out again from total silence.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

A lot of you thought Justin Houston was going to Pittsburgh (a 3-4) team before he signed with Indy. Now we have G. Mccoy talking to a 3-4 team and it looks like he may sign.  It will be crazy if Ballard pulls a deal out again from total silence.

I have to say I would have thought he would have signed with the Ravens by now.  They do have cap issues so who knows.  It's been a long afternoon.  Maybe the Ravens and Browns are trying to get him below Suh's number?  I hope you're right and Ballard swoops in and gets him.  Maybe for something a little higher than Suh's contract.  Wishful thinking on my part.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Would it really surprise anyone if the colts were his number one choice and he signs here never having visited. Maybe no need to visit. Houston is a great example of this.

Houston had the  advantage of knowing Chris Ballard very well.   

Trust in the GM plus the best financial offer equals an easy deal to agree to,  even without a visit.

Maybe we told McCoy to visit everyone else first and then check back with us?

I suppose that's possible.    Feels like a Ballard-like thing to do.    Or maybe we don't have the interest in GM that all of us thought?    That's also possible.....

Another visit.  Carolina?  Another 3-4 team with this time under 10M in cap space.  The Ravens were being squeezed at 14M in their quest to sign him.  They Panthers could use a DT but would they really restructure a contract or two or cut a player for McCoy?  Does he really view them as contenders?  I don't see a fit here but anything can happens I guess.  Come on Chris,  pull a "Houston".   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another visit.  Carolina?  Another 3-4 team with this time under 10M in cap space.  The Ravens were being squeezed at 14M in their quest to sign him.  They Panthers could use a DT but would they really restructure a contract or two or cut a player for McCoy?  Does he really view them as contenders?  I don't see a fit here but anything can happens I guess.  Come on Chris,  pull a "Houston".   

Carolina is a 4-3 team.   I believe they have been for some time.

IMO he's doing his due diligence and taking his time. 

Carolina and Baltimore aren't going far in the playoffs. Cleveland did a lot this off season, but it's history.....

IMO, the Colts have the most stable and fiscal resume. Not saying he ends up here, but I don't see us as an inferior product to any other team he's talking to. 

If Ballard isn't willing to toss 10-12M/year for 2 years, that would be pretty silly given our need and fiscal situation. 

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

IMO he's doing his due diligence and taking his time. 

Carolina and Baltimore aren't going far in the playoffs. Cleveland did a lot this off season, but it's history.....

IMO, the Colts have the most stable and fiscal resume. Not saying he ends up here, but I don't see us as an inferior product to any other team he's talking to. 

If Ballard isn't willing to toss 10-12M/year for 2 years, that would be pretty silly given our need and fiscal situation. 

Autry,  Lewis,  Ward...   even Hint in a pinch.     Ballard may not see the need that you do.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, krunk said:

You all should remember things were very quiet before the Colts signed Justin Houston.  Very few of you even knew Ballard was working out a deal.  Could be the same situation with Mccoy.

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Would it really surprise anyone if the colts were his number one choice and he signs here never having visited. Maybe no need to visit. Houston is a great example of this.

Hmmm... maybe

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Houston had the  advantage of knowing Chris Ballard very well.   

Trust in the GM plus the best financial offer equals an easy deal to agree to,  even without a visit.

Maybe we told McCoy to visit everyone else first and then check back with us?

I suppose that's possible.    Feels like a Ballard-like thing to do.    Or maybe we don't have the interest in GM that all of us thought?    That's also possible.....

Still a possibility...

7 hours ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

I was hoping the Colts would at least host McCoy for a visit.

This could still happen.  I think McCoy isn't getting the salary he was expecting.  From anyone.  Makes me think either reports of 11 mill were wrong, or he overvalues himself and the the play for a contender talk at reduce $ was somewhat a cover.

This is interesting and I wonder if we get the guy and at a decent figure as well.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have to admit though it doesn't appear he's coming here.  But maybe there's that chance Ballard is quietly working out a deal.

I felt before there was no chance.  But as things have slowly transpired, I'm actually seeing a narrow path where there was none before.  Will the Colts, um sorry, will We and McCoy   ;)  walk on it and meet in the middle?

There's almost always a team out there lying in the weeds for situations like this. Maybe it's the Colts and not another like the Saints or... ugh - Patriots ...

But if we pass on him, I'm OK with it as long as N.E. doesn't get him.

14 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The Panthers, Cowboys and Seahawks are all up against the cap, yet they jump in. I know a long term deal might be an issue, but a 2 year deal wouldn't hurt us one bit and he could be a great player.

Pretty simple for teams against the cap to restructure a contract or two and come up with around 11 mill. There's always a player they figure on cutting the following year to get the cap right again. Last year we saw Jacksonville sign a 14 mill per year guard when they were "up against the cap." It's really a non issue now days.

12 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

[snip] If Ballard isn't willing to toss 10-12M/year for 2 years, that would be pretty silly given our need and fiscal situation. 

My guess (and that's all it is) is that Ballard just doesn't see the value in him at anything like $10-12MM/year for a rotational guy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Pretty simple for teams against the cap to restructure a contract or two and come up with around 11 mill. There's always a player they figure on cutting the following year to get the cap right again. Last year we saw Jacksonville sign a 14 mill per year guard when they were "up against the cap." It's really a non issue now days.

Right. Also, I believe there are additional cap savings from teams who had cuts designated post June 1 that kick in in a couple of days.

But McCoy getting big $, I'm not 'sold'.  Especially from the Colts. Let's see where it ends up.

Just got an NFL Network notice that the Colts are out on McCoy....price too high..per Tom Pelissero. 

The did reach out but his asking price is still around the $13 mil etc....who knows maybe something changes in the future if he doesn't sign elsewhere. 

Edited by PeterBowman
add more
  • Like 3