Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets draft pick

CR91

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Colts are looking at a top 3 draft pick in the second round if the jets lose to the pats

Don't forget that the order reverses in the even rounds when there are teams with the same record. I don't think even if AZ or Oakland wins their last games it could effect the Colt's present spot at #3 in the 2nd round. Reason being is if those 3 all ended with 4 wins , the Jets would have the lowest strength of schedule. So they would move ahead in Oak or AZ in the first round but behind them in the second. The way  see it , as long as the Jets lose to NE , we will pick 3rd or 4th in round 2. SF if loses to LA , could possible end with a higher strength of schedule , moving the Colts to 4th pick in round 2. 

I still scratch my head at the Jets’ decision-making on that trade.

I realize they needed a QB badly — and I assume Darnold was the guy they wanted (had the Browns already tipped their hand on Mayfield?).  And Darnold has been OK, thus far.  Better than Allen and Rosen, anyway.  But they could’ve had Lamar Jackson, too.  And I’d say he’s outplayed Darnold.

I get that hindsight is 20/20.  I also get that these guys are only rookies.  And, in time, Darnold may be a star.  But, still, they gave up a lot to get the one guy they wanted...knowing that at least comparable options would’ve been there at 6.

Oh well...their loss, our gain.

24 minutes ago, Maniac said:

And to get that 2nd round pick, all we had to do was "settle" for the best guard in the NFL.

Ballard. :applause:

Outstanding move by Ballard.... Big Q is looking like a steal at the #6 spot! :hat:

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I realize they needed a QB badly — and I assume Darnold was the guy they wanted (had the Browns already tipped their hand on Mayfield?).  And Darnold has been OK, thus far.  Better than Allen and Rosen, anyway.  But they could’ve had Lamar Jackson, too.  And I’d say he’s outplayed Darnold.

I get that hindsight is 20/20.  I also get that these guys are only rookies.  And, in time, Darnold may be a star.  But, still, they gave up a lot to get the one guy they wanted...knowing that at least comparable options would’ve been there at 6.

Yep.... such is the QB crapshoot on Draft Day. However it turns out for the Jets.... Ballard filled serious holes with that deal.

20 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, lets see. How many teams would pay that price for Darnold today, now that he's looking like he has a bright, bright future? A whole lot of them. Because, as we Colts fan know well, as did the Jets, you ain't going nowhere in today's NFL without a top QB. Yes they paid a price, but suddenly their future looks much better. It was totally worth it for the Jets. It just so happens that the Colts had a savvy GM who used those picks brilliantly. Good for both teams. They both improved because of the trade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Jets moved up early to be sure to get one of the top three QBs in the draft.  I think the rumors at the time of our trade was they wanted Mayfield.  I guess Cleveland decided they liked him too.

Regardless, the Jets got a very good QB.

That team hasn't had a franchise QB in along time, so I doubt they're complaining with the trade and a whole lot of cap space.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Two 2nds for a franchise QB is a bargain in today's NFL

But they could’ve had Lamar Jackson, too.  And I’d say he’s outplayed Darnold.

Dear, God

The Jets look like winners compared to the Redskins trading for RG3.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Well, lets see. How many teams would pay that price for Darnold today, now that he's looking like he has a bright, bright future? A whole lot of them. Because, as we Colts fan know well, as did the Jets, you ain't going nowhere in today's NFL without a top QB. Yes they paid a price, but suddenly their future looks much better. It was totally worth it for the Jets. It just so happens that the Colts had a savvy GM who used those picks brilliantly. Good for both teams. They both improved because of the trade. 

Personally, I haven’t been *that* impressed with Darnold.  He’s clearly going to be a good NFL quarterback.  But he strikes me as somebody who will always be a notch or two below the league’s elite.

I don’t think he will end up being worth the price they paid.  But time will tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Darnold looks average at best. Not buying the hype. Sanchez Mark II. Not uncommon for me to be wrong mind you.

I think he’ll be better than Sanchez was.  But that doesn’t mean he was worth what they paid to get him (keeping in mind they had alternatives).  Heck, they might’ve even gotten Darnold at 6.

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Two 2nds for a franchise QB is a bargain in today's NFL

The Jets look like winners compared to the Redskins trading for RG3.

But my point is that I’m not sure they needed to make the trade to get a franchise QB — possibly even Darnold himself.

And being better than the RG3 deal doesn’t make it a good one.  There are different degrees of bad.

If Darnold turns out to be that franchise qb, the jets will think they got him as a steal.  If you're that high on him, I can see them making this deal to guarantee it.  We won't know what's what for at least another year or two.  

And I wouldn't be so critical about his up and down year.  Manning wasnt looking like a future hall of famer after his rookie year either. 

7 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I think he’ll be better than Sanchez was.  But that doesn’t mean he was worth what they paid to get him (keeping in mind they had alternatives).  Heck, they might’ve even gotten Darnold at 6.

There’s no way he was going to fall to 6. Most thought he was going to Cleveland and were surprised when they took Mayfield. We would have had multiple trade options at 3 had the jets stayed at 6. 

8 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Darnolds going to be a great player. His numbers aren’t great, but the jets have no talent offensively. He’ll improve with a better coach, line, and weapons. He just went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers.

Him and Mayfield are gonna be amazing I think. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Oakland winning tonight means we currently have the 2nd pick in the 2nd round according to www.tankathon.com :applause::td:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2018/12/25/18155521/nfl-draft-order-2019-49ers-jets-strength-of-schedule-tiebreaker-week-17-rooting-guide

According to this, SF has strength of schedule by one game in the loss column. There is tweet built in this article that shows the 4 games it comes to (outside of their own of course) Jets need 3 of 4 teams to win to get the 2nd pick. It's a toss up. 

NYG over Dal

TB over Atl

BAL over Cle

LAC over Den

I think baltimore and la win those games. I don't see giants beating dallas but you never know. Tampa Bay-Atlanta betting line is back and forth to open -1 TB as of right now. 

Would be nice to have a little more luck fall our way on Sunday.

And the pick is Chase Winovich - DE or Hakeem Butler massive megatron size WR, with speed (he might be available at our later 2nd round pick), or Dieonte Thompson -S (if he slides a bit)

There are many others that may slide to us as well

This is such a good draft (at least on paper)

I think some of the QBs, that in normal years may go in rounds 2, will go to round one, shifting some excellent players into round two

This second round pick is VERY valuable

I would be tempted to do some horse trading to get a 3rd pick in the second round.........   I think round two could be (will be)  loaded with talent....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Darnold looks average at best. Not buying the hype. Sanchez Mark II. Not uncommon for me to be wrong mind you.

Id be willing to bet the farm that darnold will be vastly more succesful than Sanchez in the long run. He was injured before and have you seen any of his play in December? He will make a jump next year I think.

dont forget, he’s very young still.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2018/12/25/18155521/nfl-draft-order-2019-49ers-jets-strength-of-schedule-tiebreaker-week-17-rooting-guide

According to this, SF has strength of schedule by one game in the loss column. There is tweet built in this article that shows the 4 games it comes to (outside of their own of course) Jets need 3 of 4 teams to win to get the 2nd pick. It's a toss up. 

NYG over Dal

TB over Atl

BAL over Cle

LAC over Den

I think baltimore and la win those games. I don't see giants beating dallas but you never know. Tampa Bay-Atlanta betting line is back and forth to open -1 TB as of right now. 

Would be nice to have a little more luck fall our way on Sunday.

Remember that picks are reversed in every other round for teams with the same record.

17 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

There’s no way he was going to fall to 6. Most thought he was going to Cleveland and were surprised when they took Mayfield. We would have had multiple trade options at 3 had the jets stayed at 6. 

He was never falling to 6... If they didn't trade up, someone else would have. 

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Colts officially have the second pick in the second round

Yes ... we caught a break when SF's strength of schedule ended up lower than the Jets. Jets finished with 3rd pick in first then rotates to 2nd pick in the 2nd.