Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anything To Say About Frank Reich?

DougDew

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

After about half a season, I haven't read many comments about Reich.  A lot about players and GMs, but not much about our HC. 

Thoughts?

1) I feel like this is an entrapment post.

2) I think the answer is clearly doing something outstanding.  He is a A1 play caller.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

1) I feel like this is an entrapment post.

2) I think the answer is clearly doing something outstanding.  He is a A1 play caller.

I haven't read much said about Reich during this season.  I was wondering if folks had more in depth thoughts about him.  

099827bc-eea3-46e2-b13b-c29162c14d02-Col

How about that beard? Oh Frank, you handsome man you....

In all seriousness, my thoughts:

-We had some tough stretches at the beginning, but this man had a plan. He knew if he had some patience, Luck would get back to doing Luck things, and he was dead on the money. 

-The new offense is new for us, but a welcome sight, like an old friend for our star QB. Lots of similarities with the Stanford offense, lots of similarities with last year's Eagles. Frank has done a great job of utilizing his talent, understanding his QB and not trying to overdo and or overthink things. All the moving around and misdirection seems complicated for us, but the players know exactly whats going on. 

-I like that his playcalling gets aggressive, it builds confidence in the locker room. I also like seeing adjustments made not only at the half, but each quarter. 

In summary, he's doing a great job with what he has and for me he has exceeded expectations as our head coach. Even more, he seems like he was destined to work with Luck. He was exactly what Andrew needed to come back to the NFL. 

• Like 9

His absence in Philadelphia is one of the reasons the Eagles fans are giving for the Eagles’ demise. Even though Pederson called the plays, Reich’s absence is felt.

His strengths are:

Utilizing scheme to make the most of players’ strengths and covering up weaknesses. 

Creativity in play calling. 

Instilling and managing the collective psyche of the team (keeping players on an even keel).

Glad he’s here!

GO COLTS!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m on board. That Eagles game is still one that sticks out like a sore thumb. What in the hell was that mess? 

I don’t much care for all the pre-snap movement and backfield fakes and sweeps, but it’s not a critical issue. 

He seems to have a good handle on things. I’m cautiously optimistic though, because Caldwell and Pagano seemed to at first as well. Anyone remember that really great season under Caldwell right up until the Super Bowl when we played so scared of Brees passing deep we let him throw open underneath all night long, and after that it was all downhill? These things can change at just about any time. 

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Does Luck seem to have more liberty to change the play at the LOS than what we thought he had in the past, or is the play calling totally on Reich?

I think Luck has always had the liberty to call audibles BUT doesn't....

...has he been calling them this year?

I haven't had the luxury of watching much this season but definitely will vs Dolphins!

I Honestly I think hes Right up there with Tom Moore as the best offensive coach the colts have had since I’ve been a fan (1997). I would be deathly afraid that he would be leaving our team for a head coaching gig if he was just an offensive coordinator.  It’s crazy to say but I almost feel sorry for the NFL because the colts are building a juggernaut right before everyone’s eyes. I mean imagine this team which has one of the best offensive lines in football (and they are all really young except AC so they will only get much better). What if this offseason and draft we pick up a legit # 2 receiver to go with TY and our tight ends? That still leaves plenty of draft picks to improve our defense, Oh and speaking of defense Leonard is still a rookie and only going to get better and we have tons of money to look at holes to fill in free agency. Not to mention that many of our offensive players are young and playing in a brand new system and have never played with one another and will have the entire rest of

the season and next training camp to get even more familiar with one another and the play book. I really think this team is going to be something special in a year from now and if not then 2 yr at the latest. We might have a few more rough games this year but I will say that the light at the end of the tunnel is blinding me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I haven't had the luxury of watching much this season but definitely will vs Dolphins!

I think this offense suits Luck better.   He can mix in designed shorter plays to set up the longer ball, like a pitcher mixing up a variety of pitches to keep the batter off balance instead of just throwing a limited array of pitches like fastballs and sliders.

No doubt Reich is the leader of that, but Luck seems to be on the same page and is a great field commander for what Reich is trying to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I’m on board. That Eagles game is still one that sticks out like a sore thumb. What in the hell was that mess? 

I don’t much care for all the pre-snap movement and backfield fakes and sweeps, but it’s not a critical issue. 

He seems to have a good handle on things. I’m cautiously optimistic though, because Caldwell and Pagano seemed to at first as well. Anyone remember that really great season under Caldwell right up until the Super Bowl when we played so scared of Brees passing deep we let him throw open underneath all night long, and after that it was all downhill? These things can change at just about any time. 

I want to believe that several of our early games where the result of having a young team that had to learn how to finish games.  Add to that Luck was still trying to get his rhythm back.  

I want to believe that the team if they played the games now would have beaten the Eagles and the Jets.  

• Like 1

I was very happy when he signed on, and I'm not disappointed now. There have been some bumps in the road, sure(the decision in OT vs Houston the most prominent decision at this point that negatively impacts)....but the net results so far have been not only positive, but point to better things down the road. 

For the life of me, I don't understand why a franchise(not just ours, but others) select a qb with a high draft choice, and then not take an offensive coach. We are seeing Luck play at top level with maybe the worst receiver group he's had as a pro, and it's not an accident that he's on pace for his best season. 

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I want to believe that several of our early games where the result of having a young team that had to learn how to finish games.  Add to that Luck was still trying to get his rhythm back.  

I want to believe that the team if they played the games now would have beaten the Eagles and the Jets.  

The Eagles game plan was super weird. That felt like a game that never came out of second gear. But I agree. I think the post-bye Colts could beat the Jets and Eagles, and I think they could possibly even beat the Patriots, or at least keep it a closer game even more so than it was last time. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I've seen a couple audibles from him. A notable one was the Mack 20 yardish TD reception against the Bills. Perfect audible. Usually when he says "kill" and taps his helmet and the players move slighly, it's an audible. Either that or Andrew and Reich * the with D to confuse them ha. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

You can also add the fact that they were all still learning all the intricacies of the new schemes, as well as learning to gel with all the new players around them. As the team has become more comfortable with the schemes and each other, our team has really started to grow into itself.

I personally believe that we havent even seen the full potential yet. After a full offseason for our rookie class and more time in the system for everyone else, I hope we come out swinging next yr and make a serious run as a contender. 

It's a thing of beauty to see a coach, given a fine set of tools to work with by his GM, to then take those tools and get the best out of them.  From Ballard to Reich to Luck...there seems to be such  great symmetry.  Dungy and Peyton had that same chemistry.

After the Texans game I started to get more confident in what Reich was trying to do with the offense.  I didn't agree with the 4th down play call, but this was a season about letting the kids grow and building chemistry.  I didn't think it could come back to bite us later in the year because I never thought we'd be in the running for the playoffs.

Luck has matured as a QB.  He's learned to protect his body when he has run.  He's learned to take the check-down while still taking a shot downfield when the opportunity presents itself.  I think Reich has a lot to do with that.  He's had some really great gameplans and seems to be working well with his assistants.  Love the way the season is going thus far.  Reich gets an B+ thus far for the season.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

After about half a season, I haven't read many comments about Reich.  A lot about players and GMs, but not much about our HC. 

Thoughts?

Yes, not only has Ballard done a great job acquiring talented players for Reichs' scheme, but hiring Reich was a great move because Reich is showing that he is a great coach.  He makes great calls, great adjustments, and has his team focused and showing steady improvement.

Although I have read many comments like this since we hired Reich after the McDaniels fiasco, so maybe you have been experiencing "selective reading" while perusing these forums...  :dunno:

We couldn't ask for a better GM/HC/QB right now.  Everything is clicking and I couldn't be happier.  :thmup:

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

As far as the offense is concerned, we didn't get AC back until the Jets game(?).  Since then I believe the offensive line has been as good as it has ever been in Luck's tenure here.  I think the return of AC also had a lot to do with it along with what you stated.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yes, not only has Ballard done a great job acquiring talented players for Reichs' scheme, but hiring Reich was a great move because Reich is showing that he is a great coach.  He makes great calls, great adjustments, and has his team focused and showing steady improvement.

Although I have read many comments like this since we hired Reich after the McDaniels fiasco, so maybe you have been experiencing "selective reading" while perusing these forums...  :dunno:

We couldn't ask for a better GM/HC/QB right now.  Everything is clicking and I couldn't be happier.  :thmup:

Don't think so. 

Ballard, Nelson, Kelly, and Leonard seem to be the subject, even when the threads aren't about them.  It seemed certain folks want to talk about the same things and simply say it different ways in many threads.  I thought it was getting boring so I started one specific about Reich. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

As far as the offense is concerned, we didn't get AC back until the Jets game(?).  Since then I believe the offensive line has been as good as it has ever been in Luck's tenure here.  I think the return of AC also had a lot to do with it along with what you stated.

It's as good, if not better, than the 05'/06' OL.

We haven't heard as much about him, because he's doing his job well and not making major mistakes, even though he's a first year head coach.  He's not a "look at me" type personality.  he brings stability, confidence and draws from his experience as a QB on a successful team and his coaching experience, too.

Doesn't let his emotions direct his decisions.  He takes things one game at a time, but also sees the big picture.  I really believe he and Luck click and we're seeing the results.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Don't think so. 

Ballard, Nelson, Kelly, and Leonard seem to be the subject, even when the threads aren't about them.  It seemed certain folks want to talk about the same things and simply say it different ways in many threads.  I thought it was getting boring so I started one specific about Reich. 

Hmm, maybe what you were seeing was just numerous responses to negative threads/posts.

IE - #FireUnimpressiveBallard, #6IsTooHighToDraftAGuard, #LeonardWasAReach, #NoodleArmLuck, etc.

I haven't really seen any negative threads about Reich, hence no overwhelming response to the negativity.

tenor.gif?itemid=9324210

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

His absence in Philadelphia is one of the reasons the Eagles fans are giving for the Eagles’ demise. Even though Pederson called the plays, Reich’s absence is felt.

His strengths are:

Utilizing scheme to make the most of players’ strengths and covering up weaknesses. 

Creativity in play calling. 

Instilling and managing the collective psyche of the team (keeping players on an even keel).

Glad he’s here!

GO COLTS!!

Add "opponent specific offensive game plans" to the list of pluses. This is why we wanted McDaniels in the first place and now we have the same level of creativity. I am glad how things worked out for us. :) 

This is also the first game Eberflus' did an "opponent specific game plan", I felt. What took him so long? :) 

the beginning of the season, there was some wrinkles of Reich's creative playcalling, but it wasn't completely there yet. The execution was lacking, but now it seems everyone is on the same page and we are keeping defensives guessing

11 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It's as good, if not better, than the 05'/06' OL.

It did have an impact on the play calling too. Not having your starting tackles, the YPA was lower, more attempts for fewer yards with dinks and unks, it felt like. Now that they are more confident with the OL, the play book has expanded tremendously. 

• Like 1