Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now that the offense is producing can we address the defense?

horseshoecrabs

I mean, Ballard spent several picks on defenders in the last two drafts. 

Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Hairston, Stewart, Walker in 2017. Leonard, Turay, Lewis, Adams, Franklin in 2018. 

Signed Simon, Sheard, Hankins, Woods, Hunt, Bostic and Mingo in 2017. Signed Autry this year. 

It just takes time to add playmakers, especially through the draft. 

• Like 1

I have said all along I feel CB's main priority is to build both lines up first.  He has invested heavily in the OL first, which he HAD to for Luck's health, and now it's time to spend high on the DL, particularly at DE.  I still feel he will continue to add to the the OL depth as well.  Having an extra 2nd and a BOATLOAD of money to spend in FA will certainly help.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I mean, Ballard spent several picks on defenders in the last two drafts. 

Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Hairston, Stewart, Walker in 2017. Leonard, Turay, Lewis, Adams, Franklin in 2018. 

Signed Simon, Sheard, Hankins, Woods, Hunt, Bostic and Mingo in 2017. Signed Autry this year. 

It just takes time to add playmakers, especially through the draft. 

You are spot on  in the upgrades in defense, just seems we need some key playmakers like in the past to get the defense rolling . like Mathis, Freeny, and Bob Sanders.

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I wonder  if Hunt is hurting.......  He has slowed down a bit, and it effects our whole defense

We need some penetration from the DL..........  

? Hunt was in the backfield quite a few times and should have had 2 sacks but Carr wiggled out each time. Autry is one I'm not impressed with at all.

57 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If the offense , other than the wide receiving core issue can keep getting better, should we focus our attention to the pass rush, linebackers, and secondary in next years FA & Draft?

We have been putting significant resources in Defense the last couple seasons.

I say D line with 1st 2 picks.   I'll stick to that prediction.  Hell, Ballard may even go 3 early  picks on the  D line next year.  Apparently they like Lewis and  Turay is a 3rd down rusher.  That leaves a possible 3 starting positions open on the D line.  The other D linemen on the roster are not legitimate starters and are rotation guys at best.  They need another starting D end and tackle.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I wonder  if Hunt is hurting.......  He has slowed down a bit, and it effects our whole defense

We need some penetration from the DL..........  

I think he just came back to Earth.   He isn't what we seen in the first few games.   

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Missing Hooker was big in this game. His lack of presence was felt and Carr knew it. Hopefully the bye week can allow him and few other defenders to get healthy and ready to go for the 2nd half of the season. 

That's the impression I came away with as well. I saw a thread started about this topic, but apparently it was during the game so it got locked. He's not racking up the INTs like last year, but best believe opposing QBs are looking at where he's at and adjusting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If the offense , other than the wide receiving core issue can keep getting better, should we focus our attention to the pass rush, linebackers, and secondary in next years FA & Draft?

100% agree with this. I was thinking about the draft earlier today and this was my list too. Today's game highlighted those needs. Two safeties that stay out of the tub would be a help!

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I'm not sure why everyone is suddenly surprised our Offense is now getting on track. That's been a prediction based on historical data all along. From Luck knocking rust off, to getting better timing with receivers, to the OL communication etc, it was predicted way back in the early off season that the offense would started getting traction by mid season. 

As for the Defense, we have the youngest, if not one of the youngest Starting Defenses in the league. They will have great games and bad games. This will continue throughout the season. Throw in injuries to key players, things get way worse. 

8 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think you’ll see mostly defense in the draft...    and mostly offense in free agency...

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!  :thmup:

6 hours ago, rayski said:

People need to hold their horses, we "produced" against the Raiders and the Bills lmao

Team is looking like a unit and offensive line looks strong, lets see what we can do against average teams/defenses.

Buffalo is 4th overall and 3rd pass defense even after we put 30 something on them.....  Washington is 5th in total D, and 2nd against the run..... beat them too, and ran for over 100 yds. on them as well.  Houston yields 20 points a game, we went 14 over that....   They have been showing decently against highly ranked Defenses....