Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Again I will say, Ballard is not impressing me

threeflight

23 hours ago, threeflight said:

And btw....Chubb with 3 sacks so far today.....THOSE are gamechangers.

Nelson and Hooker?  Nice players, but due to their positions.....not going to win you games by themselves.

FAIL:  CB.

U say a game changer. Chubb had 3 sacks.....did Denver win or lose???

• Like 1

23 hours ago, threeflight said:

Would you rather have a DE who sacks the qb?

Or a good to really good guard.

I promise you every coach and GM in the league would take the DE 100 times out of 100....no questions asked.

I mean are you guys even kidding me with this??

I agree with u on this point about pass rusher vs guard.  However it was not that simple.  They got a guard at #6  and another starting guard in the 2nd round plus the Jets 2nd round in 2019. I could b wrong but I think in the end that will Trump Chubb's value.  Plus...... Browns got generational D end in Garrett and how is that working for them? In football u need a complete team to win.

• Like 2

Our current wr corps suggest we are at least a yr away from competing!  Ballard starved this team from talent, hence having the 2nd most cap space but signing no playmakers!  Fact is, we are couple playmakers away from being 5-1 but let’s just lay down & go 3-13!  He’s got one more yr before his head is on a platter!

23 hours ago, #12. said:

The whole "building inside out" theory needs to be flipped today.  If Luck had some weapons, you could compete right now.  This defense isn't perfect, but it's getting you turnovers on the opponents' side of the field practically every week.  Imagine if a well oiled machine like the Manning offense were getting those turnovers.  Games would be over at halftime.

If they did that then Luck wouldn't have an OL in front of him to allow him any time to get the ball to those weapons.

15 hours ago, threeflight said:

The Packers got rid of Nelson and have had injuries to their 2nd and 3rd wrs.

And they still roll right along.

Why?

Their GM knows that you can't surround a world class QB like AR with scrubs.

Our GM?  Not so much.

To be fair...Valdes-Scantling is a 5th round pick...just like Fountain. And one of those injured WRs is Allison...was an UDFA. Their RBs consist of  a 3rd, a 4th and a 5th Rounder.

If anything, the GB GM (in recent years) is the guilty like Ballard...to an extent. But they do have Davante Adams, Cobb and brought in Graham.

But the difference is that GB has Rodgers...who could be on his way to winning another MVP if GB can make the postseason (it will require the stat-padding in the 2nd half of the season though).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

To be fair...Valdes-Scantling is a 5th round pick...just like Fountain. And one of those injured WRs is Allison...was an UDFA. Their RBs consist of  a 3rd, a 4th and a 5th Rounder.

If anything, the GB GM (in recent years) is the guilty like Ballard...to an extent. But they do have Davante Adams, Cobb and brought in Graham.

But the difference is that GB has Rodgers...who could be on his way to winning another MVP if GB can make the postseason (it will require the stat-padding in the 2nd half of the season though).

I actually wanted St. Brown from ND instead of Fountain. Im gonna take a #1 wr from a power 5 program over a project player from fcs everytime. And now we need wrs, getting them off the street because we drafted projects. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I actually wanted St. Brown from ND instead of Fountain. Im gonna take a #1 wr from a power 5 program over a project player from fcs everytime. And now we need wrs, getting them off the street because we drafted projects. 

Forgot about St. Brown. I liked him as well. Everybody talks about how Cain was a steal...I think the same could

be said of St. Brown.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:51 PM, threeflight said:

Why?

Our GM?  Not so much.

has GB turned over more than half their roster in the past 2 years?

did GB just hire new OC and DC who are implementing all new offensive and defensive schemes?

did CB bring in a FA WR, acquire one in a trade AND spend 2 draft picks on WRs?

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, JPFolks said:

Can you name any previous WR corps for the Colts so totally devoid of talent? Sure, Hilton is hurt.  But since when is a receiving corp 1 player?  And Ballard didn't bring him in anyway.  (It was practically the only no-brainer pick by Grigson that ever panned out).  Many of us were screaming out for more WR help through the offseason, FA, draft, Pre-Season and still to this day.  Luck and the Colts have no prayer to compete with such underwhelming receiving talent.  There are bad teams all throughout the league with MUCH better WR corps let alone the good ones.   We never had anything CLOSE to a #2 or even legit #3.   TY gets hurt and it's lights out.  I don't expect these rookies and undrafted FA's to run full route trees and make one handed catches down the sideline but damn... if they can't catch a 3 yard slant right in their hands OVER and OVER and OVER again... why have them on the team? Might as well raid every good teams Practice Squad guys by watching to see if any of them could actually catch a short pass hitting them in the hands/numbers.   I can't imagine we could do any worse.  And let's not even DREAM about any of them being able to get a little separation or count on any actual EFFORT plays (And could Ebron perhaps TRY to catch the ball a little more often?).  We'll wait until "the plan" is in full effect before being too wishful but in Grigson's worst seasons we at least had some decent WRs.  

Anytime you are writing a mini novel you are over reacting. 

Why?

Our GM?  Not so much.

Tell me if you knew who Marques Valdez Scantling was, prior to this year. He was a late 5th round pick, and Geronimo Allison was an UDFA. Not that different from UDFAs Chester Rogers and Zach Pascal. The only difference is that they can catch.

Whether it is WR coaching or the QB demanding much more, there is an underlying problem of accountability with the WRs that the drops keep happening game after game.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tell me if you knew who Marques Valdez Scantling was, prior to this year. He was a late 5th round pick, and Geronimo Allison was an UDFA. Not that different from UDFAs Chester Rogers and Zach Pascal. The only difference is that they can catch.

Whether it is WR coaching or the QB demanding much more, there is an underlying problem of accountability with the WRs that the drops keep happening game after game.

Agreed, but there is also a bit of a difference.

The Packers felt alright to release J. Nelson because they had Adams stepping in as #1 receiver and Cobb, a solid #2 receiver. The late round picks and UDFA were vying for the #3 position.

The Colts had T.Y. and only late round and UDFAs. The #2 receiver position had never been truly established, not even by Moncrief, unfortunately. CB took a gamble on this position grouping (only adding Grant) and has lost the gamble so far, it would seem.

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Agreed, but there is also a bit of a difference.

The Packers felt alright to release J. Nelson because they had Adams stepping in as #1 receiver and Cobb, a solid #2 receiver. The late round picks and UDFA were vying for the #3 position.

The Colts had T.Y. and only late round and UDFAs. The #2 receiver position had never been truly established, not even by Moncrief, unfortunately. CB took a gamble on this position grouping (only adding Grant) and has lost the gamble so far, it would seem.

Ryan Grant (former 5th rounder) did well enough with the Redskins with Kirk Cousins at the helm, I personally thought he'd do better. Eric Ebron was nearly not as productive with the Lions. Once on the Colts, Ebron and Grant have flipped the script. The Grant risk has backfired on Ballard clearly. There was probably a reason the Ravens jumped on the Crabtree bandwagon and backed out of the Ryan Grant contract. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

Welp.

It only took a year and a half, maybe a little less... 

And here we are with the official unofficial "time to get rid of Ballard" thread... 

I guess we might as well pin it? This argument won't be going away... 

:trout:

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Welp.

And here we are with the official unofficial "time to get rid of Ballard" thread... 

I don't think it's that bad. It's a thread about how Ballard has been unimpressive.

And to be honest, I don't think he's done anything impressive. He also hasn't done anything unimpressive. It's just looking like a slow rebuild.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:06 PM, NDcolt said:

Our current wr corps suggest we are at least a yr away from competing!  Ballard starved this team from talent, hence having the 2nd most cap space but signing no playmakers!  Fact is, we are couple playmakers away from being 5-1 but let’s just lay down & go 3-13!  He’s got one more yr before his head is on a platter!

Every day I wonder what part of "we're going to build the roster from the inside out" was lost on our fanbase when Ballard took over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Welp.

If pinned we can name it "Ballard's Blunders".

A nice catchy phrase I think.

Any other name suggestions?

Lol

Why?

Our GM?  Not so much.

Finally someone with scense.

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I don't think it's that bad. It's a thread about how Ballard has been unimpressive.

And to be honest, I don't think he's done anything impressive. He also hasn't done anything unimpressive. It's just looking like a slow rebuild.

Colts have been rebuilding since PM left town.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:59 PM, threeflight said:

So far I have seen him bungle the QB and coach situation last year, have what is turning out to be a TERRIBLE draft last year, do next to  nothing in FA the last 2 years despite having more money than Soros, and now....this years draft is turning out to be middling at best (drafting a guard that early was pointless for example), and he has completely FAILED at helping Luck with offensive help.  

We have a plethora of average RBs, and our Wrs, even with Hilton, are below average.  Due to injuries Luck has Ebron as his # 1 target.

Cmon.

Either he is totally tanking this year, or he has no idea what he is doing.  Either way....I don't like it.

He inherited a mess not saying he is perfect but Irsay should take a lot of the blame for hiring Pagano and Grigson and then rehiring them. Luck made them look good and they both almost destroyed his career 

25 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

He inherited a mess not saying he is perfect but Irsay should take a lot of the blame for hiring Pagano and Grigson and then rehiring them. Luck made them look good and they both almost destroyed his career 

We don't know what advice he was getting either.

I too would have liked to move on sooner (hindsight), but we had success with them until Luck got hurt (the first time).

As difficult as it is to pick players (draft and FA) that "fit", I believe it is far more difficult to find coaches and GMs.  And, imo, much more important ant choices too.  New coaching and GMs rarely come in and have immediate success for many reasons.  

While the Pagano and Grigson "divorces" from the Colts seemed to drag out, i am MORE happy that Irsay doesnt change coaches often and seems to do his homework when he does.

Constant leadership turnover in any environment rarely works. Consistency, especially in a he NFL is a building block of success.  Especially long-term .

Not sure I've ever seen a thread with such out and out complete nonsense in it.

At best some of the nonsense in this post is ill-informed opinion.   At worst,  many of the posts are out and out lies.    Or some ugly combination of both.    Some people are completely disingenuous about their viewpoints.   Opinions masquarading as genius insight.    People massively in love with the sound of their internet voice. 

Hey,  everyone is entitled to their opinion.    Even when they don't match up with the well known facts. 

My thanks to the vast majority of posters in this thread who have attempted to patiently explain things to about a half-dozen posters.    You can lead these horses to water,  but you can't make them drink.    They're not interested in learning anything.     They know what they know and they're not changing for anyone or any reason.

(Sigh.....)         :peek:

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, threeflight said:

Why?

Our GM?  Not so much.

And how well did Green Bay do last year without Rogers?  Also, how about the fact that the Packers have under achieved all but one year of Rogers?

If you are looking for an example you picked a bad one.

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure I've ever seen a thread with such out and out complete nonsense in it.

At best some of the nonsense in this post is ill-informed opinion.   At worst,  many of the posts are out and out lies.    Or some ugly combination of both.    Some people are completely disingenuous about their viewpoints.   Opinions masquarading as genius insight.    People massively in love with the sound of their internet voice. 

Hey,  everyone is entitled to their opinion.    Even when they don't match up with the well known facts. 

My thanks to the vast majority of posters in this thread who have attempted to patiently explain things to about a half-dozen posters.    You can lead these horses to water,  but you can't make them drink.    They're not interested in learning anything.     They know what they know and they're not changing for anyone or any reason.

(Sigh.....)         :peek:

This Thread needs to go IMO. If I was a Mod I would lock it but it's not my call. Not trying to be mean but anyone that bashes a GM only after 2 drafts is a bit silly, opinion or not. Ballard inherited a mess plain and simple and was stuck with Chuck last season so in reality this is really year 1 for him with the Coaches he hired. Hooker, Mack, Leonard, and Nelson are good draft picks. Lets see what Ballard does in 2019, 2019 and 2020 are the key years in the Draft and Free Agency.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

And how well did Green Bay do last year without Rogers?  Also, how about the fact that the Packers have under achieved all but one year of Rogers?

If you are looking for an example you picked a bad one.

GB hasn't put much around Rogers at all, I agree that was a terrible example. People in GB have been griping about their FO and Coach for the last 5 years. GB is very lucky they aren't 1-5 actually, they got real lucky against the Bears and 49ers.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This Thread needs to go IMO. If I was a Mod I would lock it but it's not my call. Not trying to be mean but anyone that bashes a GM only after 2 drafts is a bit silly, opinion or not. Ballard inherited a mess plain and simple and was stuck with Chuck last season so in reality this is really year 1 for him with the Coaches he hired. Hooker, Mack, Leonard, and Nelson are good draft picks. Lets see what Ballard does in 2019, 2019 and 2020 are the key years in the Draft and Free Agency.

Not to mention we have what, 21 players on IR and from week to week are missing 4-6 players who are injured.  It is crazy for those who expect the Colts to win games under those circumstances. But if they want to point a finger at someone other than what the real problem is it's there choice. I would hate to sit around getting myself all worked up and thinking it is just one person that gets the blame. Short sighted and narrow minded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not to mention we have what, 21 players on IR and from week to week are missing 4-6 players who are injured.  It is crazy for those who expect the Colts to win games under those circumstances. But if they want to point a finger at someone other than what the real problem is it's there choice. I would hate to sit around getting myself all worked up and thinking it is just one person that gets the blame. Short sighted and narrow minded.

I agree. Not only have we had injuries, we had key one's to the likes of AC and TY and Doyle. 3 of our best players. Mack being out hurt as well.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

GB hasn't put much around Rogers at all, I agree that was a terrible example. People in GB have been griping about their FO and Coach for the last 5 years. GB is very lucky they aren't 1-5 actually, they got real lucky against the Bears and 49ers.

This is true. I have a very good friend who is die hard Packer fan and even makes the trip up to Green Bay 2 times a year from Indy.  He has been telling me that most of the fan base has wanted their head coach fired for the last three seasons and he should take the GM with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is true. I have a very good friend who is die hard Packer fan and even makes the trip up to Green Bay 2 times a year from Indy.  He has been telling me that most of the fan base has wanted their head coach fired for the last three seasons and he should take the GM with him.

Yep, I read it all the time over at ESPN. That fan base has had it with McCarthy.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rogers has been basically a 1 man show in Green Bay. 

Some of the leagues worst groups of RB's & DB's.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. Not only have we had injuries, we had key one's to the likes of AC and TY and Doyle. 3 of our best players. Mack being out hurt as well.

Lest they forget we also started 5 or 6 rookies from the start of the season. But they seem to think if the players who are rookies and none starters should come into the game and play like vets and because they don't, it's Ballard's fault. 

• Like 1