Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Again I will say, Ballard is not impressing me

threeflight

Regardless the picks, what I see that we are finally fighting, we have hungry players who try and stay in games and pursue on offense and defense. We haven't had that since Dungy. 

How people don't understand that the main reason we have been good in the past 12 years was our quarterbacks. 

What Ballard is trying to establish here is a culture and a lasting franchise that isn't necessarily dependant on quality quarterback play. We need time, do you guys think Seattle built their franchise talent in one year? 

Ballard hasn't done anything ridiculous like Griggson and his T-Rich deal or anything similar that would allow anyone to say he has been bad. He has a great track record in Chicago and Kansas as well. He wants hungry young players, filter the ones who can't make plays and when we have a base, we'll add through free agency. Love the idea and I think he is establishing that base as we speak. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IcyRhythms said:

I'm definitely in the camp of "You are what your record says you are"

It sounds good but it's such a cliché/overused quote... That according to Polian many people are not even understanding what Parcell meant... It does not apply in season (especially to the first few games) or to a snapshot of a block of games. Polian says Parcell meant at the end of the season when everything is done it was meant to reflect the season record as a whole. 

That being said even at the end of the season you have to take some extenuating circumstances into account when determining if your record is an accurate reflection of where your team is (good or bad). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to refresh this thread after today's debacle.

Im told you guys, in 2 different threads now, that CB has done nothing....NOTHING to show me he has what it takes to rebuild this team.

A guard and a safety with 2 high picks?

Failure to supply a servicable WR crew?

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

But hey, if you ask CB (and many of his white knight fans on this board, he is the greatest GM ever!

This team is 5-17 since he took over and getting worse.

Think about that.

20 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Im told you guys, in 2 different threads now, that CB has done nothing....NOTHING to show me he has what it takes to rebuild this team.

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

But hey, if you ask CB (and many of his white knight fans on this board, he is the greatest GM ever!

Think about that.

giphy.gif

Are you going to do this after every loss?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

Think about that.

i concur

I think we put too much emphasis on being young. Adam V. aside, I think we're too young. We lost the poise and control - and the exemplars - of having enough seasoned veterans. Take Frank Gore for example. Wise, wily ole veterans will take years to replace.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Coaching fiasco?

No FA's to speak of?

Drafts are very suspect.

Think about that.

You Sir, have no clue how a rebuild works. And when it does I hope that you don't hide out in the corner like a dog with his tail between his legs....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

I think we put too much emphasis on being young. Adam V. aside, I think we're too young. We lost the poise and control - and the exemplars - of having enough seasoned veterans. Take Frank Gore for example. Wise, wily ole veterans will take years to replace.

Yet we were shown today why he isn't here. 

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

You Sir, have no clue how a rebuild works. And when it does I hope that you don't hide out in the corner like a dog with his tail between his legs....

I do know how a rebuild works. I have seen it over and over for 40 years with my Colts and Orioles and 1000s of other teams.

Which is why I say CB is not impressing me.  Back in Manning's rookie year, even though they were terrible, I could see that the Colts were going to be good the following year.  You could just see it.

I saw it the year before the O's got good in 2013.

I saw it in the Rams 2 years ago.

I saw it with the Eagles 3 years ago.

I see nothing with the Colts to show me they are going to be anything at anytime in the next 1-3 years.

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

OK Stan.

Considering we are 5-17 since CB took over......I would say many more losses are coming.

That wasn't his point.  He asked if you were going to childishly, my word, refresh this thread after every loss?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I do know how a rebuild works. I have seen it over and over for 40 years with my Colts and Orioles and 1000s of other teams.

Which is why I say CB is not impressing me.  Back in Manning's rookie year, even though they were terrible, I could see that the Colts were going to be good the following year.  You could just see it.

I saw it the year before the O's got good in 2013.

I saw it in the Rams 2 years ago.

I saw it with the Eagles 3 years ago.

I see nothing with the Colts to show me they are going to be anything at anytime in the next 1-3 years.

If you are a Colts and O’s fan then you definitely know what rebuilding looks like.  Out of curiosity, what is your outlook on the current Orioles rebuild?  As a fan of both teams myself, the O’s rebuild looks much more dismal than the Colts outlook.   Tough times for us. 

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If you are a Colts and O’s fan then you definitely know what rebuilding looks like.  Out of curiosity, what is your outlook on the current Orioles rebuild?  As a fan of both teams myself, the O’s rebuild looks much more dismal than the Colts outlook.   Tough times for us. 

Hey bro.  Nice to see that.  Yeah I grew up in MI, now live in S Cal, and just have always loved the Colts and O's since I was 4.  No idea why haha.

The O's are so hamstrung with CD's contract.  But it was time to get out of the situation with Buck, and probably DD as well.

That being said, I do see some talent starting to emerge with the O's on the farm. And remember they get the #1 pick this year.

Put it this way, I feel better about the Os being better sooner than the Colts.  And if the Colts didn't have Luck?  I would say the Colts have no shot to do anything for years and years.  At least he gives them a shot....as he proved with Pagano.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Hey bro.  Nice to see that.  Yeah I grew up in MI, now live in S Cal, and just have always loved the Colts and O's since I was 4.  No idea why haha.

The O's are so hamstrung with CD's contract.  But it was time to get out of the situation with Buck, and probably DD as well.

That being said, I do see some talent starting to emerge with the O's on the farm. And remember they get the #1 pick this year.

Put it this way, I feel better about the Os being better sooner than the Colts.  And if the Colts didn't have Luck?  I would say the Colts have no shot to do anything for years and years.  At least he gives them a shot....as he proved with Pagano.

Yes awesome to meet another Orioles-Colts fan here!  Been a fan of both franchises since 1980 so I at least have 1983 to remember as an O’s fan.  

The Orioles problem to me has always been their inability to develop or acquire good starting pitching.  They had basically everything else until the wheels fell off this year.  Davis’s contract was a huge mistake and probably the main reason why they were unable to keep Machado.  They should have locked Manny up a long time ago.  Hurt my heart to see them have to blow up their nice young nucleus of talent.  I’m exhausted with the O’s.  Took them years to get as good as they got.  Now we are back to square one again.

I don’t feel like their leadership structure is competent.  I have more confidence in Ballard and the Colts as it is quicker to return to respectability  in NFL vs. MLB.  Funny how we perceive that differently.  Any way go O’s and Colts! 

11 minutes ago, threeflight said:

And btw....Chubb with 3 sacks so far today.....THOSE are gamechangers.

Nelson and Hooker?  Nice players, but due to their positions.....not going to win you games by themselves.

FAIL:  CB.

That is the first good game Chubb has had all year LOL. Nelson was a good pick. I guess people love seeing Luck get sacked alot? Without drafting quality O.Lineman, Luck's career will be over.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:22 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Yes you are over reacting, period.

Can you name any previous WR corps for the Colts so totally devoid of talent? Sure, Hilton is hurt.  But since when is a receiving corp 1 player?  And Ballard didn't bring him in anyway.  (It was practically the only no-brainer pick by Grigson that ever panned out).  Many of us were screaming out for more WR help through the offseason, FA, draft, Pre-Season and still to this day.  Luck and the Colts have no prayer to compete with such underwhelming receiving talent.  There are bad teams all throughout the league with MUCH better WR corps let alone the good ones.   We never had anything CLOSE to a #2 or even legit #3.   TY gets hurt and it's lights out.  I don't expect these rookies and undrafted FA's to run full route trees and make one handed catches down the sideline but damn... if they can't catch a 3 yard slant right in their hands OVER and OVER and OVER again... why have them on the team? Might as well raid every good teams Practice Squad guys by watching to see if any of them could actually catch a short pass hitting them in the hands/numbers.   I can't imagine we could do any worse.  And let's not even DREAM about any of them being able to get a little separation or count on any actual EFFORT plays (And could Ebron perhaps TRY to catch the ball a little more often?).  We'll wait until "the plan" is in full effect before being too wishful but in Grigson's worst seasons we at least had some decent WRs.  

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Look something up for me.  What was Jimmy Johnsons' record the first few years after he took over the Cowboys?

Belichick?

Landry?

Lombardi?

Alright, @threeflight I will give you the answers:

Jimmy Johnson:  1-15, then 7-9, THEN 11-5 (and Barry Switzer won a SB with Jimmys' team)

Belichick:  5-11, then 11-5, then 9-7 and missed the playoffs, THEN 14-2 and a SB two years in a row

Landry:  0-11-1, then 4-9-1, then 5-8-1, then 7-7, THEN 10-3

Lombardi:  7-5, then 8-4, then 11-3, then 13-1... Vince might be the exception, he literally NEVER had a losing season.  There's a reason the trophy is named after this guy...

Anyway, the above coaches/GMs had to build their program, and except for Lombardi, it didn't happen in just a season or two.

Do you know what my point is @threeflight ?  My point is that you are being premature.  I'm sure that's not a foreign experience for you.  :D  If it were up to you, anyone but Vince Lombardi and Bill Belichick would be fired before they finished a second season...

I don't know if Ballard is building a championship team, but I'm not about to burn the house down because he isn't Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick after a season and a half...  We're only HALFWAY through this rebuild, so take a deep breath and try to enjoy the ride as much as possible.  :thmup:

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Alright, @threeflight I will give you the answers:

Jimmy Johnson:  1-15, then 7-9, THEN 11-5 (and Barry Switzer won a SB with Jimmys' team)

Belichick:  5-11, then 11-5, then 9-7 and missed the playoffs, THEN 14-2 and a SB two years in a row

Landry:  0-11-1, then 4-9-1, then 5-8-1, then 7-7, THEN 10-3

Lombardi:  7-5, then 8-4, then 11-3, then 13-1... Vince might be the exception, he literally NEVER had a losing season.  There's a reason the trophy is named after this guy...

Anyway, the above coaches/GMs had to build their program, and except for Lombardi, it didn't happen in just a season or two.

Do you know what my point is @threeflight ?  My point is that you are being premature.  I'm sure that's not a foreign experience for you.  :D  If it were up to you, anyone but Vince Lombardi and Bill Belichick would be fired before they finished a second season...

I don't know if Ballard is building a championship team, but I'm not about to burn the house down because he isn't Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick after a season and a half...  We're only HALFWAY through this rebuild, so take a deep breath and try to enjoy the ride as much as possible.  :thmup:

Don't confuse people with facts.  Let post-game frustration continue to rule the day.

• Like 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you think a real sustainable rebuild happens in less than 5 years, especially after the examples I gave, you need to put down the weights and start exercising your brain more.

You want another example?  Here ya go:

Bill Walsh:  2-14, then 6-10, THEN 13-3.

What don't you get about this?  It takes at least 3 years to rebuild, and if you don't see results by year 5, you move on.

If we gave Grigson 5 years, why are you so hellbent on kicking Ballard to the curb after ONE year?!?!?  :scratch:

Here is where we disagree.  IMO in today's NFL, a team is only a few game changers and an otherwise average roster to be a playoff team.

Look how few plays we needed just to be 4-2?

If we draft Chubb and Leonard, and sign a competent RB, a WR, one really good OL?

We are probably 4-2 and in our division?  A strong playoff team.

Instead we are 1-5.  Doing the steps above would not have altered our long term rebuild imo...if anything it would have accelerated it because the team would  get used to winning.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

If we draft Chubb

You keep harping on this... but it would mean we don't draft Nelson.  Which means Luck is probably back on IR by this point...  :scratch:

I thought protecting Luck was priority numero uno... but if you want to roll with Brissett, and then his backup, and then HIS backup... just for a few more sacks on defense...

Welcome to Club de Uno.

doofus.jpg?w=400

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You keep harping on this... but it would mean we don't draft Nelson.  Which means Luck is probably back on IR by this point...  :scratch:

I thought protecting Luck was priority numero uno... but if you want to roll with Brissett, and then his backup, and then HIS backup... just for a few more sacks on defense...

Welcome to Club de Uno.

doofus.jpg?w=400

I understand that means we wouldn't have drafted Nelson.

You draft Chubb and sign 1-2 really good OL out of the $100 M we have available in free agency.

It isn't rocket surgery.  :)

The fact is CB appears to be doing everything he can to make us as bad as possible this year.

9 hours ago, threeflight said:

and sign 1-2 really good OL

Really?  There were 1-2 really good OL just waiting for Ballard to call so they could sign with the Colts like they always wanted to?  :facepalm:

Norwell was the top FA OL, and how well did he do today?  I'd rather have Nelson on a rookie contract, myself...

I can see now that you are living in fantasyland.  Go back to Madden.  Rookie setting.  Maybe then you'll actually be happy...

9 hours ago, threeflight said:

The fact is CB appears to be doing everything he can to make us as bad as possible this year.

Yeah, including drafting the DROY...

11442723.gif

Can someone else step up to the plate and try to talk some sense *  Please?

Edited by Nadine
removed personal shot

Chubb = Nelson+Smith+Turay+2019 2nd 

No, you don't draft Chubb. You do what Ballard did, and take the  four  long term pieces instead of just one. The only way I wouldn't do that trade is if Chubb was a Myles Garrett level talent. (and if he were, it's likely he would've been gone before our pick anyways)

Next year's draft might be the most loaded DL class in history - honestly.  And right now, we're on the clock for the 1st pick. I can't see that happening, but I think we'll still end up picking in the top 10. In which case, the upgrades available will be substantial. Prospects many would rate much higher than Chubb.

LE- Turay*
DT-          ,  Ridgeway
DT-          , Stewart
RE- Lewis

LT- Castonzo
LG- Nelson*
C- Kelly
RG- Smith*
RT-

Top 10 pick - Oliver, Bosa, Ferrell, Gary, Davis, Lawrence, Williams etc
2nd pick- 
Jets pick*-

So I mean , that one trade back in conjunction with the 2019 draft, could pretty much complete our trenches on both sides of the ball (if we so choose).

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

I understand that means we wouldn't have drafted Nelson.

You draft Chubb and sign 1-2 really good OL out of the $100 M we have available in free agency.

It isn't rocket surgery.  :)

I know Im from Denmark, but what is rocket surgery? 

I have heard of rocket science, but Rocket Surgery ... sounds a bit dangerous to be honest ;)

5 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I know Im from Denmark, but what is rocket surgery? 

I have heard of rocket science, but Rocket Surgery ... sounds a bit dangerous to be honest ;)

Combination of similar meaning sayings: "rocket science" and "brain surgery". 

Most likely on purpose since it is combined comically in that way on occasion... But, given the substance of most of his posts; who knows. 

8 hours ago, Trueman said:

Chubb = Nelson+Smith+Turay+2019 2nd 

No, you don't draft Chubb. You do what Ballard did, and take the  four  long term pieces instead of just one. The only way I wouldn't do that trade is if Chubb was a Myles Garrett level talent. (and if he were, it's likely he would've been gone before our pick anyways)

Next year's draft might be the most loaded DL class in history - honestly.  And right now, we're on the clock for the 1st pick. I can't see that happening, but I think we'll still end up picking in the top 10. In which case, the upgrades available will be substantial. Prospects many would rate much higher than Chubb.

LE- Turay*
DT-          ,  Ridgeway
DT-          , Stewart
RE- Lewis

LT- Castonzo
LG- Nelson*
C- Kelly
RG- Smith*
RT-

Top 10 pick - Oliver, Bosa, Ferrell, Gary, Davis, Lawrence, Williams etc
2nd pick- 
Jets pick*-

So I mean , that one trade back in conjunction with the 2019 draft, could pretty much complete our trenches on both sides of the ball (if we so choose).

Chubb had 3 Sacks yesterday.  You're speaking very early on this.

10 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you think a real sustainable rebuild happens in less than 5 years, especially after the examples I gave, you need to put down the weights and start exercising your brain more.

You want another example?  Here ya go:

Bill Walsh:  2-14, then 6-10, THEN 13-3.

What don't you get about this?  It takes at least 3 years to rebuild, and if you don't see results by year 5, you move on.

If we gave Grigson 5 years, why are you so hellbent on kicking Ballard to the curb after ONE year?!?!?  :scratch:

With the draft, free agency, and a franchise qb, three years should be enough time to get it done. They didn't have free agency in the Walsh time frame.

It would be nice if you could wait until the end of the year to remind everyone here how little faith you have in the current GM. It’s been one game. Are you going to tell us every game how little Ballard impresses you? 

Id imagine it taking more than one game to see if Ballard is any different than he was the last time he didn’t impress you. 

Stop starting threads that say the same thing as the last thread you  started about Ballard. You have no new points. Just re-hashing the same old points you keep using to say he’s not impressing you. 

You realize Bill Polians first year as GM was 1986 for the Buffalo Bills. That teams record was 4-12. The next  years teams record was 7-8. 

Just calm down. Please just calm down. 

• Like 1

The whole "building inside out" theory needs to be flipped today.  If Luck had some weapons, you could compete right now.  This defense isn't perfect, but it's getting you turnovers on the opponents' side of the field practically every week.  Imagine if a well oiled machine like the Manning offense were getting those turnovers.  Games would be over at halftime.