Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need a WR!!

Zoltan

After all the drops tonight by the Wrs we need to sign someone off Free Agency, and that should be Dez Bryant. The amount of easy catches that were dropped was unacceptable, and the only reason we had a chance in the game was due to our TEs. Grant did okay but even he missed a couple easy ones.

Dez might not be the answer but something needs to change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last two weeks should put a fork in the notion that WR isn’t a pressing need for this team. 

And its funny, because if anyone knows what the blueprint of two really good wideouts can do IT’S US. That was the basic formula of the Manning years. Make a defense chose where to be weak. Either pay attention to the wideouts over the top and open up something underneath for the slot/TE or guard the slot and TE and let something potentially open up for a wideout. 

Its why TY disappears in games so often. Defense put their entire focus on covering him, and no one else can pull enough of the load to warrant any real attention.

Rogers, Grant, Pascal... they’re all number 3 receivers in the bottom half of the league at best. 

The proof is in the pudding. It’s nice to believe that those guys can fix the issues they have, but it’s not exactly realistic. 

• Like 7

They need to give these guys chances.  Yes,  I like everyone else wants to cut the whole TE and receiving core.  That's  a reflex reaction. They r young.....let them play.  We will c at the end of the year who stays and who goes. This year was always about evaluation.  I think Ballard and Reich knew that.  However the fans thought this was a playoff team.  I never thought they were close.  I thought 4-12 before the season began.  Just sit back and watch some of these guys develop and hopefully sum of them will become stars.  We will never know who is good if we simply  cut and sit players after having a bad game or two.  I know it is hard but it is called patience.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

They do need another quality WR, but it's not Dez. 

No it’s not. My guess is he’s done. No one is interested, and he’s talking about it affecting his depression and mental state, and that’s a red flag. Hard no to Dez. 

But something simply MUST be done. Are we gonna get a Reggie Wayne to a Marvin Harrison? No. Not likely. But damn there’s gotta be better options than hoping Luck can make lower-tier receivers better than that are. 

What is also effecting us is the lack of variance in the skill set of the receivers. We have nobody that can create separation down the field or a big physical receiver that can beat press.

This has to be a priority for Ballard right now, like Rodgers, Pascal and Grant were all undrafted rookies at the end of the day. And they were the WR1, WR2 and WR3 this evening.

But we have so many other needs too its sad.

• Like 2

Let's not go crazy like has been said before let's watch these guys develop. Ebron sure is an enigma isn't he? It's also good to see Swoope back on the team the guy makes plays. I would not put too much in I put too much in Cain remember it's only preseason but I hope it works out for him but I would hate to go through another preseason without getting a number one receiver and let Hilton be the number two

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

What is also effecting us is the lack of variance in the skill set of the receivers. We have nobody that can create separation down the field or a big physical receiver that can beat press.

This has to be a priority for Ballard right now, like Rodgers, Pascal and Grant were all undrafted rookies at the end of the day. And they were the WR1, WR2 and WR3 this evening.

But we have so many other needs too its sad.

Yeah, that's what Venturi was saying - we have a roster full of slot receivers.  

3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Let's not go crazy like has been said before let's watch these guys develop. Ebron sure is an enigma isn't he? It's also good to see Swoope back on the team the guy makes plays. I would not put too much in I put too much in Cain remember it's only preseason but I hope it works out for him but I would hate to go through another preseason without getting a number one receiver and let Hilton be the number two

Hilton is a #1 receiver.

10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We don’t need any WR’s. You drafted Cain. We’re just hurting right now. Don’t blame you for being upset, but relax man! 

Cain is a rookie. He may never transition to the NFL level. He’s coming off a serious knee injury and hanging hopes on him to be a breakout #2 is the exact same gamble that’s been rolled on Rogers, Grant, Hayward-Bey, Hakeem Knicks....

Maybe he does go on to be a star receiver. But banking on that over actively seeking to fix the situation is incredibly unwise. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We don’t need any WR’s. You drafted Cain. We’re just hurting right now. Don’t blame you for being upset, but relax man! 

Sarcasm? ... Surely you aren't really pinning the your hopes for us having an improved WR group on a 6th Rnd pick who just tore his ACL???  I hope he comes back and is is great, but we need to address the position in FA or 2nd - 3rd rnd pick (ideally both).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Luck would have destroyed the Pats defense tonight if the rest of that small time receiving corps showed up. Lucks improved a lot. He wasn't afraid or caught off guard at all. And imagine what we'd have if we found a running game? Wilkins popped a couple nice ones tonight. It's just every time we started digging out the hole we dragged ourselves back in it with untimely drops and turnovers.

• Like 1

Just now, esmort said:

Sarcasm? ... Surely you aren't really pinning the your hopes for us having an improved WR group on a 6th Rnd pick who just tore his ACL???  I hope he comes back and is is great, but we need to address the position in FA or 2nd - 3rd rnd pick (ideally both).

No I’m serious. If colts do pick a WR it’ll be second round. But right now we don’t need one. Team has to get healthy. Can’t do nothing without a healthy team. 

5 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Pascal needs to go. Just awful tonight. I thought for sure Fountain would brought up for tonight but maybe that says a lot about his lack of development.

Pascal totally screwed his opportunity.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Rishard Matthews has reliable hands, and he has hired Drew Rosenhaus who expects him to sign with another team soon (fingers crossed):

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/wr_rishard_matthews_expects_to_sign_with_new_team_soon/s1_127_27432335

I would say yes to Matthews. Is he the long term answer? No. I think his ceiling is a little lower than we should hope to have. But over the next year or two could he help warrant enough defensive attention to open things up in other areas?

I honestly believe so. 

:thinking:In the preseason it was,"We need receivers, no-one can get seperation".  Tonight, there was all kinds of separation, but receivers couldn't catch when they were wide open, but would make great catches with people draped all over them.  It's like we have a team full of Pierre Garçon's with less speed.

• Like 1

Regardless of who you guys think or feel we should draft or pickup. First things is the team needs to remain healthy. You can do nothing when the team around you is dropping like flies. It starts with the oline. Doesn’t matter if we had a WR. Can’t throw to him if Luck doesn’t have time. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

No I’m serious. If colts do pick a WR it’ll be second round. But right now we don’t need one. Team has to get healthy. Can’t do nothing without a healthy team. 

I assumed you were referring to the future since you were talking about Cain. Definitely not worried for this season, this is a write off/development season ... I was talking for next season and beyond ... and I don't think we should count on Cain to be the savior of our WR group ... present or future.

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

I assumed you were referring to the future since you were talking about Cain. Definitely not worried for this season, this is a write off/development season ... I was talking for next season and beyond ... and I don't think we should count on Cain to be the savior of our WR group ... present or future.

I would still draft another wr to go with cain

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Regardless of who you guys think or feel we should draft or pickup. First things is the team needs to remain healthy. You can do nothing when the team around you is dropping like flies. It starts with the oline. Doesn’t matter if we had a WR. Can’t throw to him if Luck doesn’t have time. 

No matter how healthy the rest of the team gets still doesn't make our WRs have better hands.  No one is saying ignore the other issues, just that it's becoming obvious WR is a big need.

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think we can honestly. Like I said though it won’t matter if we can’t stay healthy. I understand folks mood on the forum after losing. 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I would still draft another wr to go with cain

I agree, that is the point I was trying to make ... I am ot counting on Cain for anything at this point ... we need to spend a 2nd-3rd on a WR and pick up one(or more) in FA.