Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need a WR!!

Zoltan

25 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

:thinking:In the preseason it was,"We need receivers, no-one can get seperation".  Tonight, there was all kinds of separation, but receivers couldn't catch when they were wide open, but would make great catches with people draped all over them.  It's like we have a team full of Pierre Garçon's with less speed.

Even since TY went down, we've surprisingly had some receivers getting open.  That's the good news.  The bad news - they can't catch the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, esmort said:

I agree, that is the point I was trying to make ... I am ot counting on Cain for anything at this point ... we need to spend a 2nd-3rd on a WR and pick up one(or more) in FA.

I’ll agree 2-3 rounds 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I think we can honestly. Like I said though it won’t matter if we can’t stay healthy. I understand folks mood on the forum after losing. 

This isn't because of the loss ... I had low expectations for this season, I am just looking to see development.  Although I still don't see how you can be comfortable counting on Cain to be a strong #2 next season ... I seen some flashes, but nothing that would give me that kind of confidence.

• Thanks 1

Crazy to hear people say we arent a playoff contender....ive seen 4 games now that a bullcrap penalty goes against us in the worst time that changed the outcome of the game.  And also a few plays that add to that. We could have very easily been 4 and 0 going into this game tonight.

Game 1.....the pass interference on quincy wilson that leads to a td before half...bullcrap call.   3rd and 25(somewhere close to that) and geathers tackles a reciever for p/i, which was right call.  He lets him catch that and make tackle they punt.  Scored i believe to green on next play instead.   

Eagles game....couple bullcrap calls.  Especially the one on hairston.  Algohlor steps out of bounds before 1st marker and somehow the ref right there doesnt see it.  And of course all the plays in the red zone at the end of the game...any of that goes pur way and we win that.

Texans game...well we all know what happened there and i have NO problem with the call to go for it on 4th down.  Lets not forget the big marcus johnson drop on 3rd down at end of game.  Hit him in the chest...smh

Pats game....well to be down 1 score in 4th quarter at one point in foxborough is pretty darn good with the players we put out there.  Kudos to luck and ebron hanging tough.

I love ballard and what he is building but i do believe we are better and closer than people seem to think.  Ballard keeps saying he will sign free agents when time is right.  I think we are close enough for that now.  We do need a big reciever and luck needs a threat behind him...i believe mack can be that threat but he is too injury prone apparently.   People can say what they want about dez but he does command coverage.  Which would help t.y. out.   Dez with his size at the very least would give us an option in the red zone.....and i wasnt big on going for leveon but the more games that come and go i realize that luck has never had a threat behind him.  Leveon would make defenses account for him.....these defenses are laughing at our backs...no threat of breaking anything from the backfield..

Sorry for long post just the optimist colts fan..lol

Just now, Jbatc18 said:

Crazy to hear people say we arent a playoff contender....ive seen 4 games now that a bullcrap penalty goes against us in the worst time that changed the outcome of the game.  And also a few plays that add to that. We could have very easily been 4 and 0 going into this game tonight.

Game 1.....the pass interference on quincy wilson that leads to a td before half...bullcrap call.   3rd and 25(somewhere close to that) and geathers tackles a reciever for p/i, which was right call.  He lets him catch that and make tackle they punt.  Scored i believe to green on next play instead.   

Eagles game....couple bullcrap calls.  Especially the one on hairston.  Algohlor steps out of bounds before 1st marker and somehow the ref right there doesnt see it.  And of course all the plays in the red zone at the end of the game...any of that goes pur way and we win that.

Texans game...well we all know what happened there and i have NO problem with the call to go for it on 4th down.  Lets not forget the big marcus johnson drop on 3rd down at end of game.  Hit him in the chest...smh

Pats game....well to be down 1 score in 4th quarter at one point in foxborough is pretty darn good with the players we put out there.  Kudos to luck and ebron hanging tough.

I love ballard and what he is building but i do believe we are better and closer than people seem to think.  Ballard keeps saying he will sign free agents when time is right.  I think we are close enough for that now.  We do need a big reciever and luck needs a threat behind him...i believe mack can be that threat but he is too injury prone apparently.   People can say what they want about dez but he does command coverage.  Which would help t.y. out.   Dez with his size at the very least would give us an option in the red zone.....and i wasnt big on going for leveon but the more games that come and go i realize that luck has never had a threat behind him.  Leveon would make defenses account for him.....these defenses are laughing at our backs...no threat of breaking anything from the backfield..

Sorry for long post just the optimist colts fan..lol

We can but we wont be until we learn to get out of our own way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I swear people on this forum would rather have mediocrity from our team as long as all the players were good boys. Just look at the threads when people suggest picking up players like Bell, Earl Thomas, Suh, Gordon... 

I actually want Bell. I think if we had Bell we would be 4-1 right now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

We could’ve gotten josh Gordon but lots of people on here think we’re too good for him and players alike

I think the issue was more about do we want his influence on such a young locker room.  Patriots are at a different place in development to allow them to take those players.  I believe once Ballard has built the foundation he wants, and has some veteran voices in the locker room he will be more willing to take risks on players like Gordon.

Honestly.....i am sure we will have some break out players by the end of the year. All these injuries r giving these young players opportunities to make some noise.  U got to believe they r thinking this is my chance to make it. Some will flourish and some will fall by the side. It's called opportunity.  Everyone is saying we need a wr.  Maybe...but let's wait till the end of the year before we say wat we really need. Frustration  makes for  rash decisions.  

The Colts receiving core couldn’t catch a cold. What an absolutely embarrassing performance by them. The Zach Pascel INT was one of the worst plays I’ve ever seen by a receiver. The Rodgers drop in the end zone. I mean from start to finish they were awful. It ain’t about experience. That’s just lack of talent. Hands are something you either have or you don’t.

And I’m not hitching my wagon to a 5th round pick on the PS or a 6th rounder who blew out his ACL. WR needs to be an early round pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

This team needs a player called healthy. That’s all guys

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

Don’t think we necessarily do. I understand people being upset at all the drops. This team isn’t healthy 

Aside from getting TY back, the WRs we had tonight like Rogers are healthy and they can't catch.

Health isn't the issue at WR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Regardless of who you guys think or feel we should draft or pickup. First things is the team needs to remain healthy. You can do nothing when the team around you is dropping like flies. It starts with the oline. Doesn’t matter if we had a WR. Can’t throw to him if Luck doesn’t have time. 

Yeah you can do something like catch a football if you are a healthy WR, when Luck throws the ball (even when he's under pressure) and it hits both your hands or literally hits you in the numbers you should catch it

• Like 1

I see a lot of posts about for next year we have Cain, which he showed promise but we need a short fix for this year. I think we should at least bring Dez in for a workout I mean we have the cap space for a one year deal and that's what he wants, so he can prove his worth. Sounds like a win-win scenario

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

After all the drops tonight by the Wrs we need to sign someone off Free Agency, and that should be Dez Bryant. The amount of easy catches that were dropped was unacceptable, and the only reason we had a chance in the game was due to our TEs. Grant did okay but even he missed a couple easy ones.

Dez might not be the answer but something needs to change

Remember....    the idea is....    the KIDS HAVE TO PLAY!      In the last two weeks, our receivers have caught 40 and 38 passes.     It can't be as terrible as all that.

But even if it is....

Hilton was out...     Cain is hurt.    Fountain is on the PS.     We are going to draft another WR next spring.     We might sign another WR during FA in March or April.   

The idea of signing someone NOW....     isn't going to happen.

Remember,   the kids HAVE TO PLAY!!

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....    the idea is....    the KIDS HAVE TO PLAY!      In the last two weeks, our receivers have caught 40 and 38 passes.     It can't be as terrible as all that.

But even if it is....

Hilton was out...     Cain is hurt.    Fountain is on the PS.     We are going to draft another WR next spring.     We might sign another WR during FA in March or April.   

I agree this is the perfect season to see what you have in the young guys, see if any are diamonds in rough, and give the guys that will be future depth some quality game experience.

Let them make their mistakes and learn in a rebuilding season.  The payoff will come next season. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But even if it is....

Like this! We don’t need to panic like I’ve been saying. Yeah it hurts we lost, but I see a few things last night. The TE’s stepped up and we don’t need anyone this season. 

• Thanks 1

Bad drop by Rogers, but in the long run, I do think he could be a solid slot/#3.  He's shown a little bit.  He's been getting open.  Remember, he's still young and inexperienced in terms of starts/reps.

We definitely need a high quality #2, though, who can win on the outside.

8 hours ago, Zoltan said:

After all the drops tonight by the Wrs we need to sign someone off Free Agency, and that should be Dez Bryant. The amount of easy catches that were dropped was unacceptable, and the only reason we had a chance in the game was due to our TEs. Grant did okay but even he missed a couple easy ones.

Dez might not be the answer but something needs to change

You must not have watched Dez last year. Depending on which stat service you go by, he either tied for the league lead in drops, or was up near the top. I thought you were looking for an answer to drops, not a continuation of the problem. ;-)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a06cc said:

Regardless of who you guys think or feel we should draft or pickup. First things is the team needs to remain healthy. You can do nothing when the team around you is dropping like flies. It starts with the oline. Doesn’t matter if we had a WR. Can’t throw to him if Luck doesn’t have time. 

He has been hurried a bit, and sacked a few times, but mostly has had time to chuck it around at an alarming clip. On pace to smash records. With run game not a huge threat, it is more than obvious we need wr. Pascal had a good game vs Texans but proved he isnt legit. Grant and Rogers are what they are. We have a couple rooks we could throw out there but I think we would see even more drops. We all knew the wr corp was an area for concern at its proving to be just that. In hindsight I was against ol Red Eye Gordon, but maybe a mistake not lookin at him. 

20 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

He has been hurried a bit, and sacked a few times, but mostly has had time to chuck it around at an alarming clip. On pace to smash records. With run game not a huge threat, it is more than obvious we need wr. Pascal had a good game vs Texans but proved he isnt legit. Grant and Rogers are what they are. We have a couple rooks we could throw out there but I think we would see even more drops. We all knew the wr corp was an area for concern at its proving to be just that. In hindsight I was against ol Red Eye Gordon, but maybe a mistake not lookin at him. 

This. 

The offensive line this year has given better pass protection than any line we’ve had since before 2010. And Luck has done a lot to learn to avoid the pressure. 

There’s just no one we can actually count on to catch passes and make plays while Hilton is draped in double coverage. When someone does it’s the exception and not the rule. 

We don’t see a lot of wide open catches because a receiver beat his man. It’s always Luck throwing into high traffic areas and DBs on receivers as they make the catch. 

Ramping up our air attack is also going to help open up the ground game. Get the defense worried about how to stop the pass. Get them backed out of the box. Make them commit to one or the other, and then burn them. It’s going to help our blocking, too. Once he has guys who can be hot reads based on the blitz teams are gonna be more hesitant to blitz as much, for fear of it backfiring. 

It’s just too easy to slow us down on offense. 

We’ve got a guy who can make all the throws, and when he’s had multiple guys who the defense has to account for (2012, 2013, 2014) he’s done really well. He needs a true #1 or #2 receiver now more than ever. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, a06cc said:

We don’t need any WR’s. You drafted Cain. We’re just hurting right now. Don’t blame you for being upset, but relax man! 

If your WR group sucks due to a 6th rd rookie pick getting injured....your WR group wasn't that good to begin with.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, icf said:

If your WR group sucks due to a 6th rd rookie pick getting injured....your WR group wasn't that good to begin with.

Ty was out yesterday. Health has a lot to do with that happened yesterday. Again I understand why people are upset today 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But even if it is....

if the kids have to play we have to learn to be satisfied watching kids play against proven talent that is what we looked like tonight kids playing against men, like high school against nfl talent

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Luck would have destroyed the Pats defense tonight if the rest of that small time receiving corps showed up. Lucks improved a lot. He wasn't afraid or caught off guard at all. And imagine what we'd have if we found a running game? Wilkins popped a couple nice ones tonight. It's just every time we started digging out the hole we dragged ourselves back in it with untimely drops and turnovers.

Weird game, we were both right. They were competitive, but so obviously shorthanded they couldn't keep it in front of them. 

That game couldn't have happened at a worse time for the Colts. Extremely aggravating to be 'a year away" with elite QB play.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Rishard Matthews has reliable hands, and he has hired Drew Rosenhaus who expects him to sign with another team soon (fingers crossed):

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/wr_rishard_matthews_expects_to_sign_with_new_team_soon/s1_127_27432335

Timing would be nice with 10 days to get him accustomed to this offense. :thmup:

Same could be said for Bell.

The passing game isn’t the problem.  Outside of the Eagles game Luck has thrown the ball all over the field and had multiple TD passes.  The problem on offense is the lack of a running game to go with it.

Yes there have been drops but every team will have drops.  The drops in the first half of the Texans game were out of control.  Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t think they were as bad against New England even if there were still one or two bad ones.  

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

He disappears too often. I know he is our #1 now but I want someone to seriously contend with him 

The new offense has changed that role for TY.  At one point this season he was leading the league in catches.  Frank is making it a point to get him the ball and do it in different ways than just sending TY deep down the field.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Chester Rogers is driving me nuts. I still would like to see Ishmael and Fountain brought up.

If, as many posters on the forum state, this is a developmental season, this suggestion makes good sense. Let's get these two rookies some game day experience, and see what they have to show us...

At the very least, it would make planning against our offense a bit more difficult for a couple of games!