Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Very astute observations and I agree.   I don't believe money is an issue for the Colts.  They're just waiting for the Steelers light bulb to go on.  That's when they will finally realize he is not coming in until the last possible moment so they might as well trade him now.  Kaboom!  Ballard gets his offensive playmaker and the Colts are a contender this year.  And Bell gets his wish and plays for the Colts.  How great is that?

With no guarantee he will sign here next year 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

With no guarantee he will sign here next year 

Ballard would work that out in advance of the trade with Bell and his agent.  As soon as he's able to Bell would sign his new contract.  I don't think any team would trade for him without having a new contract agreed to in advance of the trade. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Ballard would work that out in advance of the trade with Bell and his agent.  As soon as he's able to Bell would sign his new contract.  I don't think any team would trade for him without having a new contract agreed to in advance of the trade. 

That's why I doubt anyone will trade for him.   He can't sign anything until the season is over.   Then he could talk to every team

15 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They are ALL IN on this year, & I gotta be honest, after the way they looked against New England on Sunday, it just might work. It's shortsighted, sure, but it seems like they're willing to live with that.

yeah. we'll see. Bortles is so inconsistent it may kill them

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's why I doubt anyone will trade for him.   He can't sign anything until the season is over.   Then he could talk to every team

If you get the contract you want what's the reason for not signing?  You have already negotiated with a team that wants you and is willing to pay you.  You are happy and they are.  Win Win.

There are 3 unproven highly talented RBs on this team. Mack is basically still a rookie. He can learn a lot between now and next year. Same for all the others. For me Turbin is the wild card because we haven’t seen him do much beyond 3rd down/Redzone situations.

anyways. I don’t see Ballard doing this. I could see him drafting a RB with the 1st pick before doing this. But if it happens I’ll embrace him as a Colt. 

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If Ballard were to make a move for Bell, I can't see him not signing an extension after the season. What would be the point of coming to a team with the most available salary cap then NOT signing an extension?

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Initially.......  I have to admit, the first time I saw this thread, I thought that this was another, of the endless, "Go get player "XXXX XXXXXXX" threads that we see constantly  

I have to say.........  I am very much warming up to actually doing a reasonable deal for Bell

Right now, He can get half of the franchise money if he shows up by week 10 (If I read this right)

The Steelers will have to pony up over 20Mil to Franchise him next year (If I read this right) without a long term deal........  They wont do it...... He will be a complete FA before next year starts........ If it goes that route..... the Steelers get NADA in trade.....

The Steelers offered 14 mil,  Bell wants 17 mil

IF...... (A BIG IF) we could sign him to $15.5 mil and guarantee 3 years of a larger deal...... It might be worth a trade........   I would offer next years 3rd round pick

So by saying trade you mean you want us to give up a pick to get him this year?  If so that would have to be a first due to the franchise system no?

Also you are telling me that Bell for some reason from the heavens would sign a 3 year 15.5 mil deal to Indy instead of signing a 14 mil for 5 years with a team already with superbowl contention?  I'd say that is a wish at best.  Also I'd say that proves Bell cares about money more than he cares about winning a superbowl.  If you want that type of attitude around our players I can probably say with a 100% certainty that no one in the Indy org agrees. 

The guy is only 26 Years old......  He has been very healthy

He has been ALL Pro 2 times, And pro bowl 3 times

Lol what?  Dude has not been "very" healthy.  He misses games and post seasons frequently in respect to his position.  Also he has multiple off the field issues that are more than concerning with a history of missing time due to those off the fields.  Also lets not ignore the 500 carry rule.  He has been ran hard.  Real hard.  If I were a betting man I'd say whichever team picks him up is picking up an oft injured shadow of the player the Steelers had. 

He catches the ball like almost no other..... he hast to be accounted for on EVERY play....

He pass blocks when asked almost better than anyone in the league 

I read where he has given up only a TOTAL of three pressures.......

(Zeke Elliott is the king)

He would seem to be an almost perfect fit

Finally something we can agree on.  Yea hes a good catcher and pass protector (better than Zeke but I digress). 

He would immediately step up this team's offense........  

We could actually make a playoff run THIS YEAR....... with Bell wearing the shoe.......

This guy is an almost equal game changer to K. Mack, who many wanted to give up 2 first round picks for...........  I think he can be had for MUCH less

AND..... take some pressure off of Luck

If we make a playoff run it won't be because of Bell.  We are getting the exact same type of production without him that we'd get with him except its coming from 3 separate players.  The only thing that you change is that he is a single point of failure instead of 3 separate points of failure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

sorgi never actually did anything and garcon left the moment he hit free agency.  garcons best years were all for other teams and colts didnt think he was worth signing. i dont see that as a win for us 

the draft was different in Johnson's era too, different number of rounds and teams than we have now 

Sorgi was 2-1 as a starter and he filled a vital position and set it up so the Colts did not have to worry about the the backup QB position for very long.

Garcon was a good WR for the Colts.  just because the Colts didn't sign him to a new contract does not mean he was not a good draft pick and a good find.

Charlie Johnson was drafted in the 6th round of the 2006 draft.  The format was pretty much the same as now.

So the Steelers are not giving Bell a new contract after his rookie deal does that mean that Bell was not a "hit"?

Chris Ballard....

“I know we all want instant coffee right now, but that’s not reality. Reality is that it takes time to build a team. It takes time to build a locker room, and those guys gotta grow together and come together. It’s hard to just throw people in a locker room, and expect a winner. It just doesn’t work that way.”

Fans......

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Ballard were to make a move for Bell, I can't see him not signing an extension after the season. What would be the point of coming to a team with the most available salary cap then NOT signing an extension?

What if he tears his ACL? You still think Ballard would offer that contract after the season?

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

So by saying trade you mean you want us to give up a pick to get him this year?  If so that would have to be a first due to the franchise system no?

If they withdraw the franchise tag, to do a trade, there isnt a set compensation

Also you are telling me that Bell for some reason from the heavens would sign a 3 year 15.5 mil deal to Indy instead of signing a 14 mil for 5 years with a team already with superbowl contention?  I'd say that is a wish at best.  Also I'd say that proves Bell cares about money more than he cares about winning a superbowl.  If you want that type of attitude around our players I can probably say with a 100% certainty that no one in the Indy org agrees. 

It appears that the problem is the amount guaranteed from the Steeler's contract is whats is his issue, IT appears that they are guaranteeing 2 years... I say guarantee Bell for 3 Years, at 1.5 Mil more per year (4.5 Mil more)

Lol what?  Dude has not been "very" healthy.  He misses games and post seasons frequently in respect to his position.  Also he has multiple off the field issues that are more than concerning with a history of missing time due to those off the fields.  Also lets not ignore the 500 carry rule.  He has been ran hard.  Real hard.  If I were a betting man I'd say whichever team picks him up is picking up an oft injured shadow of the player the Steelers had. 

He has been healthy enough to gain over 1250 yards 3 out of 4 years and has caught over 75 balls 3 out of 4 years.....  Yeah..... He cant even make it on the field.... wait .......to respond to you....LOL, LOL.....  See how stupid that looks?  

Im just here to post an sometimes incorrect opinion... not perfect... just an opinion

What off the field issues?  I live in Texas, I dont see local Pittsburgh reports.... are there some that I missed ok... let me see them

Pro football is a business..... These guys dont get these big paychecks for their whole life......  HALF of all Pro football players are bankrupt after 5 years...... If I am in the league (I was WAY too slow to play college football)... I would be looking for the best deal I could get.   He played under the tag last year........ Why should he have to keep doing it?.... I would hold out as well

Finally something we can agree on.  Yea hes a good catcher and pass protector (better than Zeke but I digress). 

We are getting the exact same type of production without him that we'd get with him except its coming from 3 separate players.  

C'mon...... what are you smoking?....... EXACT type of production??  You really lost me on that..... Are you REALLY comparing a 3 time Pro Bowl player, who PROBABLY will be HOF to our current RBs......???

To me...... if we could pull off a cheap trade........ (3rd round pick) the cost isnt that bad, for a guy that would seem to be a GREAT fit for this offense

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

C'mon...... what are you smoking?....... EXACT type of production??  You really lost me on that..... Are you really comparing a 3 time Pro Bowl player, who PROBABLY will be HOF to our current RBs......???

Well, not my conversation...but if I was to compare.....

Bell's first two games as a regular season RB in the NFL yielded 91 yards on 32 attempts for an average of 2.85/carry. 

Wilkens has 101 yards on 24 attempts for an average of 4.2/carry

15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, not my conversation...but if I was to compare.....

Bell's first two games as a regular season RB in the NFL yielded 91 yards on 32 attempts for an average of 2.85/carry. 

Wilkens has 101 yards on 24 attempts for an average of 4.2/carry

Talk to me in 3 years...... 2 games isnt a comparison

I am a HUGE Wilkens fan.....  But he doesn't hold a candle to Bell.....  Not even close

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Talk to me in 3 years...... 2 games isnt a comparison

I am a HUGE Wilkens fan.....  But he doesn't hold a candle to Bell.....  Not even close

I wasn't arguing with you, just doing the only comparison available. 

Na...I'll not put this conversation on the calendar for 3 years from now, you win today. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I wasn't arguing with you, just doing the only comparison available. 

Na...I'll not put this conversation on the calendar for 3 years from now, you win today. 

The trade probably isnt going to happen any way :) 

We will do well with or without Bell IMHO....... I just think he bumps us up the curve faster.

and we wouldn't have to give up important picks, that we could be building the team with

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

he is 26 still has fresh legs

1300 career carries in cold Pittsburgh. That's not fresh legs to me.

I'd guess he's got 2 good years left (if he doesn't get injured) before he falls off the RB cliff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, IinD said:

1300 career carries in cold Pittsburgh. That's not fresh legs to me.

I'd guess he's got 2 good years left (if he doesn't get injured) before he falls off the RB cliff.

IMHO....... At 26, he has 3 good years left.......  

JUST the same time the guarantee would run out

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If they withdraw the franchise tag, to do a trade, there isnt a set compensation

It appears that the problem is the amount guaranteed from the Steeler's contract is whats is his issue, IT appears that they are guaranteeing 2 years... I say guarantee Bell for 3 Years, at 1.5 Mil more per year (4.5 Mil more)

He has been healthy enough to gain over 1250 yards 3 out of 4 years and has caught over 75 balls 3 out of 4 years.....  Yeah..... He cant even make it on the field.... wait .......to respond to you....LOL, LOL.....  See how stupid that looks?  

Im just here to post an sometimes incorrect opinion... not perfect... just an opinion

What off the field issues?  I live in Texas, I dont see local Pittsburgh reports.... are there some that I missed ok... let me see them

Pro football is a business..... These guys dont get these big paychecks for their whole life......  HALF of all Pro football players are bankrupt after 5 years...... If I am in the league (I was WAY too slow to play college football)... I would be looking for the best deal I could get.   He played under the tag last year........ Why should he have to keep doing it?.... I would hold out as well

C'mon...... what are you smoking?....... EXACT type of production??  You really lost me on that..... Are you REALLY comparing a 3 time Pro Bowl player, who PROBABLY will be HOF to our current RBs......???

To me...... if we could pull off a cheap trade........ (3rd round pick) the cost isnt that bad, for a guy that would seem to be a GREAT fit for this offense

First I assume you took offense to the "lol what statement" apologies a bad habit from Reddit.  

His off the field issues stem from weed which he was suspended for and his insitence to be a rapper which by association is a gateway back to things he shouldn't be a part of.  His dedication to the game is also suspect seeing that last year after his "holdout" he didn't start looking like the previous runner until 4 games into the season.  He isn't committed to football and there is plenty of proof to that. 

Yes we are getting the exact same production as Bell with the 3 backs we have.  You are inflating him into something he is not.  He isn't a burner and he isn't an exceptional runner.  He's a good runner with a very talented oline but his true prowess comes from being an elite blocker and catcher so you don't have to make subs at that position.  That is why he is elite. He isn't Gurley or even Zeke when it comes to running and we have the exact same production out of our 3 guys that we'd get having him without having the drama, without having the influence of this young team concerns, without paying a huge salary to a back who has already been pretty much used up. 

He isn't a bad player.  In fact I'll admit he is an elite level player because of the package but he just simply isn't worth money nor draft picks especially for a franchise full of young impressionable kids and a new coaching staff. 

From my perspective, he can run the ball... AND.... catch the ball

Today, Wilkins can run the ball, not quite as good as Bell

He is a mile behind Bell on catching the ball

There isnt enough body of work on his blocking for the QB, but I would imagine that Bell is better

When Wilkins is on the field, he doesnt make anyone nervous

Mack still hasnt proven to be able to run between the tackles

Mack is decent at catching passes, but he still falls behind Bell in both categories

Mack doesnt do all that well protecting the QB IMHO

When Mack is on the field, he is more of a homerun threat, but still behind Bell

That leaves Hines.....

A risk at picking up the blitz due to his size

He is not a 20 carry a game back

He is a homerun threat, but I havent seen that so far

He also had a fumble problem in College.......  I hope that he keeps it close in the pros

The thing that Bell gives you is the short pass that he can turn into a long gain. He also can run for the tough yards.......  The defenses ARE scared of what Bell can do

He gives the Colts options, that they dont have when they go with Wilkins, Mack, or Hines...... With our current Rbs, we tend to be predictable to the RBs strength.......  Vs Bell who can do everything well

Predictable is BAD

It probably wont happen, but to me, if you can get him for a cheaper pick( 3rd) ....... keep the guarantee down to 3 years.......  He would make sense

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't going to be traded.   No new contract can be signed until the end of the season.   No one is going to risk that.   Ballard may make a run at him in free agency if the Steelers don't tag him again

Khalil Mack II.  The contract is the easiest part that has to be worked out.  That's how agents earn their big commissions. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Khalil Mack II.  The contract is the easiest part that has to be worked out.  That's how agents earn their big commissions. 

Not the same.

Mack plays a priority position and is still young.

Bell plays a lower priority position and has high mileage on an aging body.

Not an apples to apples situation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Crazy.  Don't forget he would be in the warm dome for half of his games.  

That's true. I'm not hating on him let me get that out there. I'm just trying to think like a GM who has to pay a top contract. 

If he gets hurt, which RB's almost always do, that's a lot of cash tied up.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO....... At 26, he has 3 good years left.......  

JUST the same time the guarantee would run out

I get it, I'm not against him on the team, but I'd be worried if he starts breaking down at his price tag.

Anyone can get hurt though.

I'm afraid of higher mileage RB's.

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't going to be traded.   No new contract can be signed until the end of the season.   No one is going to risk that.   Ballard may make a run at him in free agency if the Steelers don't tag him again

I dont think the Steelers will tag him again.......  According to one writer, the tag they have to pay for the 3rd year of tag is $20Mil. (40% growth)  

I dont think they will do that.... I could be wrong

You can renegotiate ANYTHING at anytime, if two partners agree... You can agree to tear up a contract and rewrite it.... anytime

If you are the Steelers, you HAVE to pay him HALF of the total tag number for reporting by game 10...... This may be a non playoff Steelers team..... Big Ben, is slowing down.......  They need some picks....

They are probably NOT going to do a deal with him, not now with the animosity growing between him and his team......

Do they wait til next year, and get nothing for him?...... I believe that they may get what they can.... This year....  He is not worth a 1st or 2nd (at least to me).... but a 3rd....  Yep

He may be available........  He will cost a bunch for 3 years....As the great philosopher Willie Nelson says.... "If you got the money, honey,  I got the time"........ 

We got the money

We could use an excellent all around RB in this offense.  a 2 time ALL Pro.....

Again.... probably not coming to Indy......  But I think he could help us

• Like 1

He is a good player but I don't see Ballard sinking that much money into the running back position in the middle of a rebuild.  This team is developing young talent like Darius Leonard, Malik Hooker, Quentin Nelson, etc. that they will likely want to lock up in the future to establish a foundation of Colts homegrown stars.  I see Ballard continuing to be frugal and wise with his spending. 

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He is a good player but I don't see Ballard sinking that much money into the running back position in the middle of a rebuild.  This team is developing young talent like Darius Leonard, Malik Hooker, Quentin Nelson, etc. that they will likely want to lock up in the future to establish a foundation of Colts homegrown stars.  I see Ballard continuing to be frugal and wise with his spending. 

You may be right,  but...... tha'ts why you look for opportunities to add talent that doesn't give up any of your growing stars OR very early draft picks.....  You can still grow as a team, and still draft other potential players.

We have SO MUCH cap space left over the next 2-3 years.........  We can sign Bell and 2-3 other top free agents and STILL have cash left over to sign all the many rookies.......  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

If Ballard signs Bell but passed on Mack, I'll never forgive him.  

I think that would make him a joke in my mind.

Mack is a game changer and would have cost huge money AND TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS

Bell is a game changer would cost huge money.... But SHOULD be available for MUCH MUCH less in important draft picks  (Who knows, maybe a single 3rd)

Between the two, I think Mack would have helped the Colts more.......  BUT

There is no way I am giving up two first round picks

• Like 1

You may be right,  but...... tha'ts why you look for opportunities to add talent that doesn't give up any of your growing stars OR very early draft picks.....  You can still grow as a team, and still draft other potential players.

We have SO MUCH cap space left over the next 2-3 years.........  We can sign Bell and 2-3 other top free agents and STILL have cash left over to sign all the many rookies.......  

I think Ballard will do this eventually.  I just don't see him investing as much as LeVeon will want into the RB position.