Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the people against signing Bell in Free agency, im curious who your potential (early) targets are? Glancing over the potential free agency class it seems to me there aren't a lot of players (in positions of need) that will demand a lot of money. Top LBs and edge rushers wont hit the open market. 

2 parts of this.   Can it happen and do you want it to happen.   Yes and yes.

Unless Wilkens or Mack show us they are good quality starting RB's, the Colts will still have a need.   If one of them show as a top 10 or 15 RB in the league, we would not have a need.   I don't think either of them is going to make the pro bowl.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 1:26 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm genuinely curious as to how they arrive at these "odds," because signing Bell, considering what he'll be asking for in guaranteed money, would be the most non-Chris Ballard thing I can think of.

I'm sure in large part is is because the Colts:

- Don't have a franchise back

- Have a ton of cap money next year to sign a franchise back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

For all the people against signing Bell in Free agency, im curious who your potential (early) targets are? Glancing over the potential free agency class it seems to me there aren't a lot of players (in positions of need) that will demand a lot of money. Top LBs and edge rushers wont hit the open market. 

They think RBs are a dime a dozen and any 6th round pick can come in and produce. Also, they don't believe in spending money on top free agents

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

They think RBs are a dime a dozen and any 6th round pick can come in and produce. Also, they don't believe in spending money on top free agents

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think if the Colts have the 16th pick in the 2nd round they can find a RB equal to Bell.

Sorry that confuses you.  But I do admire the fact that you are not afraid to show ignorance on a public forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

against the Browns haha

Hey don't knock the browns man lol. Last year Cleveland had the 7th best run defense in the NFL and the 14th best defense in total yards given up a game. They have a very good defense, and with the addition of Landry and the RB's and getting a stable QB,  they have a decent team this year. I mean yeah they are the Browns, but don't be fooled, last weekend I have a feeling was not a fluke. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind seeing Bell wearing the horseshoe on his helmet, BUT I have a feeling the steelers will want a first rounder for bell and if that is the case, I say wait. But adding him now, I think helps Luck out. I like Mack, Hines and Wilkins, but Bell would get the Colts the division. They would have their own little trio of Luck, Hilton and Bell, would be kinda like Big Ben, Brown and Bell. BUT unless Bell agrees to a sign and trade I say wait until FA. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I'd have no problem signing Bell, he's got more left in the tank than Frank Gore did when we signed him, & Frank managed to have 2 1,000 yard seasons behind a terrible OL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think if the Colts have the 16th pick in the 2nd round they can find a RB equal to Bell.

Not sure if you were serious or not.   No way do they find equal talent.  At least it is a very long shot.  

Now if you are talking about "bang for the buck", then that may be true.  

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

When Bell has missed time the last few hrs the Steelers have managed to replace him fairly easy with an old deangelo Williams and James Connor.

• Like 3

im all for finding some RB talent, but 20 million a year is too much 

Frank and Adrian peterson have cap hits of about 1.5 million, while they probably wont be all pros they could get our running game out of the gutter

we brought in nelson but dont have an inside runner on the roster besides turbin 

• Like 1

I doubt the Steelers will give him up for anything less than a 2nd round pick(maybe 3 and a 4?) simply because if they just wait and lose him in FA they are likely going to get a compensatory 3d for him and that's with them keeping him for however many games he decides to play this season.... 

So the calculus is something like:

1. get value from him playing at least 6 games + potentially playoffs in a superbowl push + compensatory 3d OR:

2.  get whatever value a team is willing to give for him now

So the question really is - does Ballard want to beat a 3d round pick value + giving him a hefty deal... while risking Bell going back on his word(something he seems to have done now according to his teammates) and losing him for nothing after this year...

IMO Ballard will not do this. He doesn't seem like he thinks we are close to competing and this is the type of move you do when you think you are close. I can see us getting involved with Bell in FA next year after another draft class is in the fold and another FA class has been acquired, but I doubt we trade for him now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm serious.  Bell was the 16th pick in the 2nd round.

So the Steelers hit the jackpot.   Small chance we do the same.  

Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick, but there is no way we can count on finding equal talent in the 6th round.

I am sure this is a re-hash of things already said in this thread but for the life of me I don't get the love for Bell.

Several things in no particular order

1) No way I pay anyone what Bell is asking for someone who is so close to being suspended for a year.  Sure people can grown up but he has already shown poor judgement on more than one occasion.  I think they lose the benefit of the doubt.

2) No way I pay anyone who already has the touches he has in his career.  The drop for RB's is generally quick and steep.  You can make a case that he has already started his decline with his #'s from 2016 to 2017.

3) You can get approximate production from a RB committee approach.

4) You can get approximate production from a younger and cheaper back and use your cap space elsewhere.

5) I really like Marlon Mack - which is admittedly not based on a large enough sample size.  But I believe he can be a really good NFL RB.  When he is back and Turbin is re-instated, IMHO the Colts are more than OK at RB.  It strikes me as a monumental waste to throw more resources at such a position of strenth.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

H6zlXXsSiTcWk7IxnPcTrsYutOEpbZCvfV9OoU8p

Seriously? lol

Let's look at this from the Pittsburgh perspective. What are they doing here? Just rescind the tag, and let the guy walk. You're doing your team (and coach) a terrible disservice by letting him create such distractions. 

If you believe in Conner the way you've claimed too since TC. Prove it to the guy. If Conner comes out this week, and punches a defense in the mouth again. I would get on the phone with Bell. Ye old, "it's not us. It's you." approach. This will follow them all season long. SMH.

3 minutes ago, LucknessMonster12 said:

Seriously? lol

Let's look at this from the Pittsburgh perspective. What are they doing here? Just rescind the tag, and let the guy walk. You're doing your team (and coach) a terrible disservice by letting him create such distractions. 

If you believe in Conner the way you've claimed too since TC. Prove it to the guy. If Conner comes out this week, and punches a defense in the mouth again. I would get on the phone with Bell. Ye old, "it's not us. It's you." approach. This will follow them all season long. SMH.

Because he is a commodity.  They would not and should not give him up without any compensation this year.  Now March of next year - you bet.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd have no problem signing Bell, he's got more left in the tank than Frank Gore did when we signed him, & Frank managed to have 2 1,000 yard seasons behind a terrible OL.

Frank Gore came here in the cheap (in football terms).  Bell is going to want a Brink's truck backed up to his front door.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to having Bell on the team.  The opposition comes from how much cap money Bell is going to hog in order to get him on the team.

Put it this way.  

James White and Isaiah Crowell are both making 4M per year and have less then 5 M guaranteed.

Both I believe put up more then 100 yards rushing last week.  

Bell on the other hand wants like 15 M. 

Sure Bell is worth more then those guys.  But 4 times more??

Carlos Hyde and Dion Lewis also had some solid statistical games last week.  They are making 5M.  Is Bell worth 3 times as much as them? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Frank Gore came here in the cheap (in football terms).  Bell is going to want a Brink's truck backed up to his front door.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to having Bell on the team.  The opposition comes from how much cap money Bell is going to hog in order to get him on the team.

Put it this way.  

James White and Isaiah Crowell are both making 4M per year and have less then 5 M guaranteed.

Both I believe put up more then 100 yards rushing last week.  

Bell on the other hand wants like 15 M. 

Sure Bell is worth more then those guys.  But 4 times more??

Carlos Hyde and Dion Lewis also had some solid statistical games last week.  They are making 5M.  Is Bell worth 3 times as much as them? 

He knows he's not getting that kind of money, here or elsewhere. I honestly think he just really wants out of Pittsburgh, especially after being franchise tagged 2 years in a row, so he's using the only leverage he really has: demand an outlandish sum of money. They don't pay him, he sits & stays healthy all season & secures a long-term deal elsewhere, or they cave & give him a massive new deal. He wins either way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Boy he sure is trying hard. 

You know he sees that cap rollover/total we have so he's trying to get his name linked to us, even if it's just through social media. He don't want to come here, he wants some of that cap $$$

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Because he is a commodity.  They would not and should not give him up without any compensation this year.  Now March of next year - you bet.

With every day that passes. Every question Tomlin, and the team have to answer. He loses value. So, let's sacrifice the 2019 season as to not lose out on what, appears to be, a "possible" return.

Why dont they avoid divorce because it's so costly while theyre at it? The value has dropped. They dont need a return. They need focus. It's a problem already. Not to mention KC is up next.

And, if you're the Steelers...what's more important than this season?

Ravens 1-0

Bengals 1-0

Steelers 0-0-1

Browns 0-0-1

5 hours ago, Deadpool said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Bell wearing the horseshoe on his helmet, BUT I have a feeling the steelers will want a first rounder for bell and if that is the case, I say wait. But adding him now, I think helps Luck out. I like Mack, Hines and Wilkins, but Bell would get the Colts the division. They would have their own little trio of Luck, Hilton and Bell, would be kinda like Big Ben, Brown and Bell. BUT unless Bell agrees to a sign and trade I say wait until FA. 

I'm pretty sure the only way he is dealt now is a sign and trade deal.  He is going to be a big distraction for the Steelers every week that goes by.  The media will not let this go away.  If interested teams stay patient they might not have to pay that much.  The Steelers might even just say to heck with this distraction and remove the tag.  But that's a real long shot.  Most likely Ballard ,like all the GMs, will play the waiting game here and wait for Pittsburg to try and get something for him before he's a FA.  Irsay just might get his triplets after all. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind the Colts going after a FA RB next year.  I just think the money he is going to want is going to be too much.  RB's simply aren't THAT important anymore.  You could pay one 1/4 of what Bell will command and get nearly as miuch production.  Plus, this OL still needs to be fixed.  Spending all that money on a RB will preclude that somewhat and make that money poorly spent.  Then people will wonder why "we paid all that money to a RB and still can't run the ball."

Don't get me wrong, it would provide some juice around here and get people talking about the Colts around the league and it would be exciting for a minute, but in the long run it's not the best way for THIS team to go.

My son is CONVINCED he wants to come to the Colts.  He follows him on Twitter and says he tweets to Colts frequently.  I just shake my head.