Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

There are 3 unproven highly talented RBs on this team. Mack is basically still a rookie. He can learn a lot between now and next year. Same for all the others. For me Turbin is the wild card because we haven’t seen him do much beyond 3rd down/Redzone situations.

anyways. I don’t see Ballard doing this. I could see him drafting a RB with the 1st pick before doing this. But if it happens I’ll embrace him as a Colt. 

I'm with you.  Part of me would like to see it but I just think for the long haul this isn't the best thing for this franchise.  BUT, if CB wanted to go this way, then I'll embrace the guy so long as he is team-oriented and good in the locker room.  He obviously has some fascination with this team (for whatever reason).

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm with you.  Part of me would like to see it but I just think for the long haul this isn't the best thing for this franchise.  BUT, if CB wanted to go this way, then I'll embrace the guy so long as he is team-oriented and good in the locker room.  He obviously has some fascination with this team (for whatever reason).

Maybe it's as easy as he grew up being a Colt's fan.  And this is his way of letting the team know he would like to be a Colt. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Initially.......  I have to admit, the first time I saw this thread, I thought that this was another, of the endless, "Go get player "XXXX XXXXXXX" threads that we see constantly  

I have to say.........  I am very much warming up to actually doing a reasonable deal for Bell

Right now, He can get half of the franchise money if he shows up by week 10 (If I read this right)

The Steelers will have to pony up over 20Mil to Franchise him next year (If I read this right) without a long term deal........  They wont do it...... He will be a complete FA before next year starts........ If it goes that route..... the Steelers get NADA in trade.....

The Steelers offered 14 mil,  Bell wants 17 mil

IF...... (A BIG IF) we could sign him to $15.5 mil and guarantee 3 years of a larger deal...... It might be worth a trade........   I would offer next years 3rd round pick

The guy is only 26 Years old......  He has been very healthy

He has been ALL Pro 2 times, And pro bowl 3 times

He catches the ball like almost no other..... he hast to be accounted for on EVERY play....

He pass blocks when asked almost better than anyone in the league 

I read where he has given up only a TOTAL of three pressures.......

(Zeke Elliott is the king)

He would seem to be an almost perfect fit

He would immediately step up this team's offense........  

We could actually make a playoff run THIS YEAR....... with Bell wearing the shoe.......

This guy is an almost equal game changer to K. Mack, who many wanted to give up 2 first round picks for...........  I think he can be had for MUCH less

AND..... take some pressure off of Luck

Steelers cannot trade him... Bell is Not_Under_Contract.  The only two choices right now, Bell signs his tender and plays (likely at week at week 10) and beyond and then accrues a season, or the Steelers rescind the franchise tag and Bell is an Unrestricted FA immediately.

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's why I doubt anyone will trade for him.   He can't sign anything until the season is over.   Then he could talk to every team

Exactly, as far as a contract with Steelers.  He can only be an UFA this year (only if NFL allows Steelers to rescind their franchise tag, which they are on record saying they will not do) or play on his franchise tag. No other options.

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If you get the contract you want what's the reason for not signing?  You have already negotiated with a team that wants you and is willing to pay you.  You are happy and they are.  Win Win.

jvan has already pointed this out. He can't be offered or sign a contract this year.  Period.  By anybody (including Steelers). He has an exclusive Franchise Tag so no other team can even negotiate with him/agent, and the new contract for Steelers (July 16 ?) deadline passed, so when Bell decides to sign his tender and to collect $855,000 for a Sunday day of work, it will be on the franchise tag only. Likely just before week 10, it appears.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

My point being the consensus was Mack was not going to be traded and he was.  Bell can still be traded this year

No, he cannot. See this.

and the consensus is again he will not be traded.  Therefore we could still have Mack II. 

And the consensus would be right this time, even if it was wrong on Mack.  But nobody I saw on here felt the Raiders would get the 2 first round picks they wanted, yet they did.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

No, he cannot. See this.

And the consensus would be right this time, even if it was wrong on Mack.  But nobody I saw on here felt the Raiders would get the 2 first round picks they wanted, yet they did.

If that is the case the Colts could agree to send a pick to the Steelers for future considerations; rescinding the tag.  The Colts work out a contract for Bell and the Steelers rescind the tag and he becomes a FA.  The Steelers get the pick as a consideration for rescinding the tag.  Bell is a FA and signs with the Colts.  

19 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sorgi was 2-1 as a starter and he filled a vital position and set it up so the Colts did not have to worry about the the backup QB position for very long.

Garcon was a good WR for the Colts.  just because the Colts didn't sign him to a new contract does not mean he was not a good draft pick and a good find.

Charlie Johnson was drafted in the 6th round of the 2006 draft.  The format was pretty much the same as now.

So the Steelers are not giving Bell a new contract after his rookie deal does that mean that Bell was not a "hit"?

garcon had three decent years here before he left.  he went to have a 100 catch 1300 yard season for the redskins.  i do not count that as a hit for the colts 

sorgi's biggest contribution has been on the radio.  i was wrong about johnosn, sorry 

as for bell, he is more of a problem than anything for the steelers now.  if he does leave, then not a hit in my book.  hes been hurt, and suspended, and now holding out.

20 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sorgi was 2-1 as a starter and he filled a vital position and set it up so the Colts did not have to worry about the the backup QB position for very long.

That's kind of funny.     Sorgi did nothing special except agree to be here and cash a check.    There were literally dozens of QB's who could have filled the role as good as Sorgi.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

That's kind of funny.     Sorgi did nothing special except agree to be here and cash a check.    There were literally dozens of QB's who could have filled the role as good as Sorgi.  

There were dozens that could have sat on the bench no doubt.  But what Sorgi did was earn the trust of the coaches, front office and Manning that if needed to step onto the field he would be able to take care of things.  There were not dozens who could have done that.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

There were dozens that could have sat on the bench no doubt.  But what Sorgi did was earn the trust of the coaches, front office and Manning that if needed to step onto the field he would be able to take care of things.  There were not dozens who could have done that.

Yes there were.  

Just now, DraftMaster said:

IDK, our run game wasn't good and that may be to blame for not scoring TD's in the red zone. Do we now make a run for Bell? Or not?

It would have to have a lot of specific language.   Like we trade x to the Steelers if he signs here next year or we trade y if he doesn't.   He is a great player,   but will command a kings ransom

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It would have to have a lot of specific language.   Like we trade x to the Steelers if he signs here next year or we trade y if he doesn't.   He is a great player,   but will command a kings ransom

True but we've got the cap space and if Luck could get a running game and Costanzo comes back to solidify the oline we could give luck a better opportunity to throw the ball deep. IDK maybe just an overreaction over this loss...

1 minute ago, DraftMaster said:

True but we've got the cap space and if Luck could get a running game and Costanzo comes back to solidify the oline we could give luck a better opportunity to throw the ball deep. IDK maybe just an overreaction over this loss...

It's not an overreaction, it's a proper reaction.

Outside of TY, there are no playmakers at the skill positions. Maybe Marlon Mack can be a similar player, but right now he's not. Bell immediately becomes a dangerous weapon in the Colts backfield that defenses must respect. That the stat came up today that Luck's run was our longest play from scrimmage is a huge concern.

• Like 1

You know, I wasn't a fan of bringing in Bell, and I'm still not really. That said, I think IF he were to be available via a fair trade, I wouldn't be opposed to it. 

But... let's face it, we went up against a very good Eagles Defense today. With several starters out. Including two along the OL. I'm not sure even Bell could run behind this line

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ColtV said:

It's not an overreaction, it's a proper reaction.

Outside of TY, there are no playmakers at the skill positions. Maybe Marlon Mack can be a similar player, but right now he's not. Bell immediately becomes a dangerous weapon in the Colts backfield that defenses must respect. That the stat came up today that Luck's run was our longest play from scrimmage is a huge concern.

I think Ryan grant could be a weapon.   Ebron as well, but they come up short sometimes,  as does Hilton.   It is a new scheme.   Bell would certainly make us better,  but you can't guarantee he will sign here next year

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I think Ryan grant could be a weapon.   Ebron as well, but they come up short sometimes,  as does Hilton.   It is a new scheme.   Bell would certainly make us better,  but you can't guarantee he will sign here next year

Well any deal would be contingent on agreeing on a long term deal. If what I have read is true, he can't be signed to a long term deal yet even if he is traded, but to be traded he'll have to sign his franchise tender. He's not doing that unless he has a long term deal in place with whichever team wants to trade for him. Granted, he could back out from an agreements after the season, but it would be hard to imagine him walking away from the remainder of a franchise tag this season, and from whatever deal would be agreed to(a deal that he has been negotiating for almost 2 years).

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Well any deal would be contingent on agreeing on a long term deal. If what I have read is true, he can't be signed to a long term deal yet even if he is traded, but to be traded he'll have to sign his franchise tender. He's not doing that unless he has a long term deal in place with whichever team wants to trade for him. Granted, he could back out from an agreements after the season, but it would be hard to imagine him walking away from the remainder of a franchise tag this season, and from whatever deal would be agreed to(a deal that he has been negotiating for almost 2 years).

He can't sign anything until the season is over.   He wants to be a free agent and see what he can get on the open market.    That can't be guaranteed.   If we trade for him,   he agrees verbally to the contract,  then signs elsewhere,  Ballard will take a beating from this fan base

Just now, jvan1973 said:

He can't sign anything until the season is over.   He wants to be a free agent and see what he can get on the open market.    That can't be guaranteed.   If we trade for him,   he agrees verbally to the contract,  then signs elsewhere,  Ballard will take a beating from this fan base

I agree it's a risk, but I think it's a reasonable one.

He won't sign that franchise tag until he knows he would be traded, and he wouldn't play for that team for the same reason he won't play for the Steelers: he doesn't want to take a beating for a team that will not sign him to the deal he wants. If the Colts are willing to give him that deal he's looking for, there's little reason for him to not sign once he's eligible. The Colts would certainly honor whatever offer they made, they wouldn't want him to walk and lose the draft pick that would be required to pry him from Pittsburgh.

I don't think each side honoring the agreement is the problem, it's determining what would Bell's cost be? Todd Gurley's contract would be the starting poing: 4 years, 57mil, and I think 45mil total guaranteed money.

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

He won't sign that franchise tag until he knows he would be traded, and he wouldn't play for that team for the same reason he won't play for the Steelers: he doesn't want to take a beating for a team that will not sign him to the deal he wants. If the Colts are willing to give him that deal he's looking for, there's little reason for him to not sign once he's eligible. The Colts would certainly honor whatever offer they made, they wouldn't want him to walk and lose the draft pick that would be required to pry him from Pittsburgh.

I don't think each side honoring the agreement is the problem, it's determining what would Bell's cost be? Todd Gurley's contract would be the starting poing: 4 years, 57mil, and I think 45mil total guaranteed money.

What if Bell tears his ACL before seasons end? The colts would use him as much if not more than the Steelers would.   No way they sign him to that contract after a bad injury.   This isn't a typical type of trade.   But I hope the Steelers are able to trade him.   I have conner in all 4 of my fantasy leagues

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What if Bell tears his ACL before seasons end? The colts would use him as much if not more than the Steelers would.   No way they sign him to that contract after a bad injury.   This isn't a typical type of trade.   But I hope the Steelers are able to trade him.   I have conner in all 4 of my fantasy leagues

That's the risk that Bell takes, and he knows it. If he doesn't want to take that risk, then he'll refuse to sign the tender until after the trade deadline. The Steelers are currently in control of the narrative until Bell comes out and says when he will come back. But to answer your question, if Bell signs the tender, gets traded here, and blows out his acl, then your deal is off.

There's a lot of risk here, no doubt about it. But if the Colts get a chance to acquire one of the top offensive talents in the game I hope they take the chance.

8 minutes ago, ColtV said:

I agree with you.  If he and the Colts can agree on a contract I don't see him trying to back out.  His agents reputation is also at stake.  Doesn't make sense to walk away from a contract you have already agreed to.   Our division is wide open.  Bell would be that additional playmaker we so desperately need.   The front office should be looking at all options to get us into the playoffs this year.  They owe it to the players and the fans. A player like Bell could help us get to the playoffs and then anything could happen.   Hopefully Ballard and Irsay are looking at his situation as a great opportunity to significantly improve the team.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with you.  If he and the Colts can agree on a contract I don't see him trying to back out.  His agents reputation is also at stake.  Doesn't make sense to walk away from a contract you have already agreed to.   Our division is wide open.  Bell would be that additional playmaker we so desperately need.   The front office should be looking at all options to get us into the playoffs this year.  They owe it to the players and the fans. A player like Bell could help us get to the playoffs and then anything could happen.   Hopefully Ballard and Irsay are looking at his situation as a great opportunity to significantly improve the team.  

I just don't see why he would play under the tag here butt opposed to playing under the tag in Pittsburgh.   It's the exact same situation.   If he gets hurt,  we won't honor any deal made

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I just don't see why he would play under the tag here butt opposed to playing under the tag in Pittsburgh.   It's the exact same situation.   If he gets hurt,  we won't honor any deal made

I think the big difference is he will agree to a contract with us ahead of time.  Then he signs the tag and is traded.  He knows if Pittsburg was going to sign him to a contract they would have done it by now.  He knows he's done in Pittsburgh.  The amount of money he makes under the tag is significant.  And fully guaranteed I believe.  He runs the risk of getting injured either way.  With us he has a new contract waiting for him if he doesn't get injured.  With Pittsburg he has nothing waiting but uncertainty.  With the trade Pittsburg has at least a draft pick.  It's a risk but injuries are always a risk.  Look at Jimmy G. today.  You never know.  It's just a matter of doing your best assessment at risk vs. reward and either going for it or passing.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He has been through 2 years of negotiations with Pittsburgh and he knows he can't come to an agreement with them. They've never offered what he's wanted...otherwise they wouldn't be in this mess. In the scenario where he gets traded here, he'd at least have a tacit agreement with a team that is all-in due to having traded for him.

His objection also wasn't solely injury, he was also concerned, knowing he was gone after this year, that they were going to call his number for 400+ touches, and I believe that concern was well founded.

He has to play at some point this season, he needs at least 6 games to make the season count toward his eligibility. So he's going to have some risk to take on his part.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ColtV said:

He has been through 2 years of negotiations with Pittsburgh and he knows he can't come to an agreement with them. They've never offered what he's wanted...otherwise they wouldn't be in this mess. In the scenario where he gets traded here, he'd at least have a tacit agreement with a team that is all-in due to having traded for him.

His objection also wasn't solely injury, he was also concerned, knowing he was gone after this year, that they were going to call his number for 400+ touches, and I believe that concern was well founded.

He has to play at some point this season, he needs at least 6 games to make the season count toward his eligibility. So he's going to have some risk to take on his part.

Ok, most likely the colts would feed him the ball like crazy.   That's his fear in Pittsburgh.   He will have no guarantee if he gets hurt.  Same situation

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ok, most likely the colts would feed him the ball like crazy.   That's his fear in Pittsburgh.   He will have no guarantee if he gets hurt.  Same situation

I don't think he cares about the number of touches

He just wants to be paid for it

He accounts for almost a third of the Steeler's offense

One guy.........

ITS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

But.........

We could PROBABLY get Bell for ONLY a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.... AND

some cash that we DO have....... we have the MOST cap space in the NFL for 2019....

Imagine if he would have played yesterday..... we might have actually won

Imagine if we had him for the Bengals game....... we might have actually won

Thats right.... this Colts team could be 3 and 0

We have ONE player that people fear on offense (TY)

Bell is an amazing receiver...... little dump passes that are going for 2-3 yard,

MAY go for 6 or 7 yards if thrown to Bell

He is a better runner than anyone we have on the roster

This quick release offense would be GREATLY helped by another reliable receiver to dump off the pass to

ALSO:

There are SEVEN WRS that make more than Bell does

SEVEN WRS that also have a big guaranteed contract that Bell doesnt have

WITH..... a the BIG signing bonus

Seven WRS that account for 10-20% of the plays..... NOT 30% plus that Bell does

Antonio Brown, who is involved with 15-20% of the Steelers offense, gets 17 Mil per year.........  

Its a business ....... the EXPENDABLE piece...... a very expendable piece to this business.... is the RB

What I dont personally know, is what his TRUE attitude is.......  If he TRULY is a ME FIRST, ME ONLY guy, that would be a locker room cancer.......

WE DONT NEED OR WANT HIM

Thats what I dont know (nor any other Keyboard jockeys)..........   If he is a Jeff George or Eric Dickerson types ....... HARD PASS

To me you at least have to consider him...... Our defense is BETTER than I thought it would be.......  its good enough.....middle of the pack

We are stopping teams and limiting them to mostly field goals

We are missing some pieces on offense......  Bell MAY be THAT missing piece........

A team, good enough to get to the playoffs

A team.... without him.... that misses the playoffs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

One guy.........

But.........

some cash that we DO have....... we have the MOST cap space in the NFL for 2019....

Bell is an amazing receiver...... little dump passes that are going for 2-3 yard,

This quick release offense would be GREATLY helped by another reliable receiver to dump off the pass to

ALSO:

Antonio Brown, who is involved with 15-20% of the Steelers offense, gets 17 Mil per year.........  

Its a business ....... the EXPENDABLE piece...... a very expendable piece to this business.... is the RB

What I dont personally know, is what his TRUE attitude is.......  If he TRULY is a ME FIRST, ME ONLY guy, that would be a locker room cancer.......

WE DONT NEED OR WANT HIM

Thats what I dont know (nor any other Keyboard jockeys)..........   If he is a Jeff George or Eric Dickerson types ....... HARD PASS

To me you at least have to consider him...... Our defense is BETTER than I thought it would be.......  its good enough.....middle of the pack

We are missing some pieces on offense......  Bell MAY be THAT missing piece........

This. This. This. This.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

One guy.........

But.........

ALSO:

WE DONT NEED OR WANT HIM

He absolutely cares about touches this year.   He and his agent have said as much.   He is concerned the Steelers will ride him very hard this season.   It's the reason he is holding out.   He knows he can't sign a contract until the season is over. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He absolutely cares about touches this year.   He and his agent have said as much.   He is concerned the Steelers will ride him very hard this season.   It's the reason he is holding out.   He knows he can't sign a contract until the season is over. 

I probably could have been clearer on my comment

I dont get the sense that he cares about the touches, HE justs wants to get paid accordingly

He doesnt SEEM to want to be LESS utilized, (at least from what I read)

He just wants to get PAID accordingly

Lets take another example

In my career, I have been very fortunate and held some great senior jobs (VP and director) and been responsible for many people. The good Lord blessed my career.  (I will add unfortunately my family paid much of the price for my career :( )

If at one of these companies, if I somehow found out that a similar VP or director in the same company was making 20-25% more than I was, AND my segment or region far out performed them, I would probably make a case to the president of my company for an adjustment

I'm not selfish at all. I work my keester off and expect to be paid for it.

This can be applied to ANY job

If you are the drive thru guy at McDonalds, and the fry cook is making 20-30% more, for same

hours......and you actually perform better,  are you going to speak up?

I think most would

Also imagine, if your single biggest chance for high income work career is short.....   (+50% of players are bankrupt after 5 years, according to one study)

You HAVE to get the coin, in those brief years

Again.... Im even getting bored with my own posts on this thread...... a thread content that probably isnt going to happen anyway.....

Take care

Deano

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

One guy.........

But.........

ALSO:

WE DONT NEED OR WANT HIM

Well said.  The more I think about it and the more I read the comments here the more I am convinced we should trade for him.  Like you said it most likely will cost only a 3rd. or 4th. Rd. pick.  Nothing large like the Mack trade.  Well worth the risk and the money is clearly not an obstacle.   A great move that would invigorate a pedestrian offense.  I think we would be playoff bound with Bell.